View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Some Basic Strategy Tips for New Players 

This is basically for new players. I wrote a guide in the beginners section but it is kinda long and boring read ;P This is more of a quick tip and strategies that I've learned as I play. Feel free to add others or question my logic on what I say. I will change this guide as needed as new tips are shared and/or I learn new things.

1) When you are about to level up, make sure u have all your Energy Reactors equipped and all your Energy Relays unequipped. This is so you get the max amount of energy refill when you rank up. (sometimes even now I screw up and forget to do this ;P)

2) Just because at first a branch of a research tree looks kinda crappy, don't think as you move through it that the rest are worthless too.

3) In a side note to #2. I believe the single most important tree is the Advanced Power Systems. This tree will boost your energy lvls and recharge rates tremendously. This is the tree to lvl faster and pass the newbies that are just attacking each other willy nilly.

4) Don't just hit the Artifact Receive button as soon as you can. As the number gets higher, you the ability to get better and rarer artifacts! Here are the basic lvls I would advise people to hit it.

lvls 1-20 -- 2500
lvls 21-50 -- 4700
lvls 50-100 -- 6000 or more (Don't remember what the highest rank number is atm)

5) Save up your minerals and don't receive them til you have to. Either its almost full or you really, really need the money. Reason for this is that each level you gain the better quality minerals you have the ability to find. So at level 21 you'll get a better haul than if you were level 20.

6) Scanning for planets - those darn scanners are freaking expensive - I only scan for planets when I research the mark 3 version of the scanner and stock my ship full of them. Then I go on a planet scanning spree. I use every bit of energy i can, let it build up and use it again, until my scanning success is down to the 15%-20% range. Then I sell all the scanners off again. Save your scanning booster artifacts for when your scanning success gets low. This takes about 24 hours total. Then I sell off the scanners again because the upkeep on those puppies are HIGH.

7) Rank Points - IMO research can be gotten by planets and attack/defense by modules. But Deck/cargo space is a premium. You can't do anything if you cannot fit it on your ship. So every level I put 4 ranks into decks and one rank into cargo. This way I get 4 decks and 5 cargo every level. Now i have room to put stuff on ship and room in cargo.

8) Planet is useless to you if you stack 30 attack and defensive items on it and only 1 resource gatherer. I chuckle when i see a planet with a research output of 2.5. Find a good mixture, and don't underestimate the value of cloakers on planets.

9) Also in that vein. If you have a premium planet, there is an option to GUARD IT with your ship. Another person will have to disable you before they can attack the planet. Also any cloaking you have on ship will also cloak the planet. This will help keep lower levels from taking your best planet.

10) When you first start - FOCUS ON RESEARCH. Money will come from missions, and artifacts are not that important in beginning (unless you want to pvp then filter a bit into artifacts. (you can always refocus your resource gathering on planets later by demolishing old and building new buildings)

11) If you hack/raid/invade/disable someone- expect retaliation from them and their friends. Don't cry when they do.

12) Don't forget to claim your Daily Reward on the news tab.

13) If you have an item stored in cargo for a long period of time, maybe you should think of selling it. You'll save money in the long run. Cost of rebuilding can be cheaper than days and days of upkeep.

14) Keeping a few good weapons on your ship will discourage people from attacking you.

15) STOP TAKING CRAPPY PLANETS!!! If its small/tiny and sparse all across the boards, its not worth it.

16) Don't overlook the Planetary Construction Research Tree. It allows you to build better buildings with resource to space ratios. I rebuild all my buildings every other upgrade. So I will build +1, +3, +5 buildings. Its too expensive and not enough (to me) upgrade to do it every level.

17) Expect more fighting in the 1-20 range than the rest. These are the levels all the beginners are coming in and flailing around like drowning fish with no idea how to focus their characters.

18) When doing missions focus on what you need. Also work on missions that say "unlocks new mission" before the ones that don't (unless you need to lvl or need money more).

Want to level? - focus on missions with high xp to low energy cost ratios
Need money? - focus on mission with good monetary rewards
Like free stuff? - focus on missions with actual physical rewards (also by finishing all of a mission you can earn tier rewards over time)

19) Have fun. This is a great game with true RPG elements. You can build/outfit your ship how you like. Research a few research trees deep or spread your research over all of them.

Last edited by Aggross on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:48 pm

I got one

During your first 20 or so ranks just focus on ranking up. Though it can be hard to ignore being attack often pvp isn't very good for ranking and while you rank up and become awesome your early pvp obsessed opponents will still be low rank allowing you to destroy them when you feel like it and take back what yours.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Also,

In your first few ranks, focus on gaining energy and doing missions so you can have the exp to rank up and the credits to buy ship modules.

I recommend putting rank points ONLY into ship deck and cargo space, because through research, the efficiency of your modules will outrank recruiting crew members.

Keep in mind that the more planets you colonize/invade, the more it costs to colonize/invade. (Flux probe them first before you do so as well.)

When you're a low level, try not to hack, raid, or attack players 10-20 or more ranks above you, as they will come back and disable your ship. Be patient, as you rank up, you can attack more people.

Hope these help!

-Timoteo

P.S Opps, some of these repeat the previous posts... Personally, I'd suggest putting the first few research points into energy (to do missions) and weapon (self defense) modules.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:17 am

Another great list. Stickied (of course!)

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 am

Very nice!

I'd like to offer a counter-point to #7. It's true that more decks means more space for toys on your ship, but I think you'll be hurting yourself in the long run if you ignore the others.

Putting points into energy, attack, & defense is an excellent investment. It's true you can add modules to boost those stats, but each crew member you add gives you +2 while taking up no space. For example, the best tier 3 weapon (heavy laser cannon) is +18 attack, and takes up 11 decks. Those 11 points spent on tactical officers would have gotten me +22 attack. A Mark IV Fusion Reactor is size 13 for +19 energy, which is nice but 13 engineers = 26 energy without taking up any space.

Decks give you more options, and more flexibility. But I think this is balanced by the fact that crew lets you rely less on modules for att/def/energy, so you can add more of the other module types. And of course you can still switch modules around for those times when you need more - Four Mark 3 Lasers is +72 attack, combine that with 25 tactical officers and you're now 122 attack which packs a mean punch in the level 20-30 range.

Also, crew size affects your ability to raid ships & planets. If you like player vs player combat, low crew means a lot of failed raid attempts. I mostly agree with you about research, though. +3 per crew is nice, but research can be gotten from planets. My own allocation when I level is 2 deck, 1 or 2 engineers, and 1 or 2 on cargo/helmsman/tactical.

In the end, it's all about individual play styles. Great tips though, this is all info I wish I had when I started! :)

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:13 am

@Headless

I would suggest decks to anyone in regards to looking toward the future. My best weapon that I have researched is a Heavy Disruptor Cannon that has +133 attack and only takes up 31 space. So when you think about it 6.2 levels for +133 attack vs. 13.3 levels for adding 133 attack.

In the early ranks I would highly suggest going with deck size until you get high enough to be comfortable.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 am

yes as noah says. it may look one way early in game. but as you get up in the high levels you'll be sorry. and the nice thing about the decks vs crew members is that you aren't stuck with that stat. With decks you can move things around and put on high lvl scanners to get new and better planets (if you had put in crew members you will have low space. By picking crewmembers you pigeonhole yourself into a certain playstyle which is offense.

Now at high levels you May, (doubt it) but may think you have enough deck space and start moving some stuff over to crewmembers.

So yea as noah states for 31 deck space you either get 133 attack using modules or 62 attack using crewmembers. As the you learn higher modules they become more space efficient. Also your statement said if you were to put rank points into crewmembers you can focus your modules to other things. How can you if you don't have the deck space?

now the only downside to modules to crewmembers is cost. crewmembers cost nothing (what do they eat?), while modules take damage from unequipping them, cost of buying them of course, and the upkeep. But that is what mining planets are for! And I cannot stress enough the flexibility you lose. You can sell a module, but not a person (guess no slavery in the future).

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:59 pm

sorry Headless but i got to agree w/ Noah and Agg here, though personally iv found that in games such as this (AKA have energy do missions ect) by pouring everything into energy for the first 15 or so ranks will allow you to fly through those ranks incredibly fast, not to mention that having an extra 300 energy (my amount from engies) is very benificail early on when you dont have the credits/decks for cores. Of course after these 15-20ish ranks of pure energy you MUST INVEST IN DECKSPACE AND CARGO otherwise youll suck then and later

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:38 pm

#9. Is this implemented yet? All I know you have to disable guarding ships before invading the planet. You can still knock down the population first I think

Would like to add that building all 3 resource structures on the same planet is not strategic. If a planet has 25% mining and 200% artifact, building a mix of mining and artifact would be a waste. Check the percentage, focus mostly on the better resource for that planet

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:17 pm

yea # 9 works. it will be harder for another planet to find you planet if you are guarding it and have high cloaking. however, if they already KNOW the planet from scanning prior to your guarding it, it won't work. You can always use a flux probe on your planet and see if others have scanned it. If others have, use a planet flux (assuming you have on). The planet flux will erase your planet off the list of anyone who had scanned it.

and what does knocking down the population do? nothing unless you can invade.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Barracuda wrote:
#9. Is this implemented yet? All I know you have to disable guarding ships before invading the planet.

This change will be coming within the next couple days, which means:

* If a planet is being guarded by ships, those ships cannot be targeted *from* the planet window until the population drops below 10 (invasion-ready). The ships can still be targeted in other normal ways (alert, battle screen, etc)

* The Wormhole Gen artifact will be changed - it will only warp away 1 guard at a time. If you want to warp away multiple guards before lowering the population, you will need to use multiple artifacts.

This should make guarding a bit stronger than it is right now.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:35 pm

and by multiple guards, if you didn't know you could do this, he means someone else in your legion can actually help you guard your planet. So if you have a very nice Exotic planet or (you lucky dog for having one) Dyson, you can have more people guarding it to keep it safe.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Ok, regarding #7 again.... Higher level players all seem to agree that I'm wrong, so that says something. I'm only level 40 and can accept that things may change.

I believe that each path should have equal value. If that's not the case, then I'd like to suggest that the system may be unbalanced - If it makes no sense to be putting points into a stat, then something is wrong. Any other high level players care to voice another opinion than those stated above?

In any case, I still say that increasing engineers for +energy is always worthwhile. Sure you can get energy from modules, but more energy will never be a bad thing!

Sun May 02, 2010 5:20 am

I agree with you headless, but only at lower levels. Once you get higher in rank everything you use becomes large and if you do not have the space to use these you'll be in trouble, fast. Now some people feel the need to be able to have everything equipped at once where i am happy if I can fit my PVP modules when i need em and my energy the rest of the time. As for Cargo, no point in saving up points if you cant accept enough minerals to get the good stuff.

Sun May 02, 2010 5:25 am

Coth, the chance of getting "nice" minerals is the same whether you have 1 or 100000 points. The only thing that determines better minerals is your Rank :)

You can think of each mineral point as a separate lottery ticket.

Sun May 02, 2010 5:37 am

.....that would make alot of sense actually......huh thxs

Sun May 02, 2010 5:42 am

Headless wrote:
Ok, regarding #7 again.... Higher level players all seem to agree that I'm wrong, so that says something. I'm only level 40 and can accept that things may change.

I believe that each path should have equal value. If that's not the case, then I'd like to suggest that the system may be unbalanced - If it makes no sense to be putting points into a stat, then something is wrong. Any other high level players care to voice another opinion than those stated above?

In any case, I still say that increasing engineers for +energy is always worthwhile. Sure you can get energy from modules, but more energy will never be a bad thing!

this is why In my suggestion/idea post I have postulated an alternate way to earn crewmembers. I think they could be gained through "achievement points" through the game. Like a you conquered XXX planet, a person from the planet has joined your ship as a counselor. You have killed 100 enemies, a mysterious person has asked to join your fleet due to your aggressive manner.

Sun May 02, 2010 5:57 am

Aggross wrote:
Headless wrote:

this is why In my suggestion/idea post I have postulated an alternate way to earn crewmembers. I think they could be gained through "achievement points" through the game. Like a you conquered XXX planet, a person from the planet has joined your ship as a counselor. You have killed 100 enemies, a mysterious person has asked to join your fleet due to your aggressive manner.

"You have disabled everyone playing the game, Chuck Norris asks if he may join your crew of war gods."

Sun May 02, 2010 6:00 am

Headless wrote:

As a new player (just now level 9), I'd like to dedicate my first point to agreeing with Headless here. It does seem adding crew members is unbalanced, and they could use some kind of edge...hm... I would suggest some of the following:

- give crew members abilities like:
== Engineer: Increase in repair rate for hull and sheilds
== Scientist: At a certain % depending on number of scientists, can make bonus discoveries, or perhaps auto learn next step in a tree?
== Soldiers: At certain %, soldiers can rank up (maybe even after missions or pvp?), and become stronger...

These are a few of my ideas to make adding crew members more balanced towards cargo space.

Mon May 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Ragekai wrote:
It does seem adding crew members is unbalanced, and they could use some kind of edge...

Adding crew does have an inherent advantage. It's called raiding.

Success in raiding is dependent on the number of crew you and your target have. If you put huge numbers into crew, you can raid well, but you'll be less versatile. If you spend your points on cargo and deck space, you're a lot more versatile, but you're a sitting duck if any raiders wander by.

Now whether raiding is enough of an advantage is another matter, since most people seem to be pretty down on raiding due to the risks involved.

Wed May 26, 2010 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next