View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Some Basic Strategy Tips for New Players 

What's a good race/profession?

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:10 am

Collision wrote:
What's a good race/profession?

sillix explorer, raises the 2 hardest to gain high amounts of stats by 10%

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:19 am

Ive been going all decks since rank 20

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:54 am

I'm lvl 19 right now, and what i find the most useful is spending rank points on decks research and energy; one, because the research helps in all aspects attachment-wise, plus the deck space allows you to put those attachments on your ship. after i accumulate sufficient research per hour, i'm then going to use rank points on Helmsmen, tactical engineers, and cargo. I find looking for planets to be a very tedious assignment, which i agree with the point about simply scanning and scanning and scanning using up all of your energy, but that is the least of MY concerns at this point.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:04 am

I personally would not spend rank points on scientists at beginning levels, or any for that matter. Much better spent on engineers and other crew. You can get plenty of research points from getting the right planets. And with the proper amount of artifact points you will get android scientists throughout the game.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:45 am

you guys shouldn't be spending rank points on ANY crew, mabye get your energy up to 100 in the first 3 levels but that's it. Spend the rest into decks, decks deceks. You might have to grab some cargo for alittle bit, and reinvest in it from time to time but thats it.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 am

I would suggest getting a lot more energy than that at the start, because the sooner you get it the better it'll pay off, I can still level up quickly at rank 253. But that is just me, some people don't like leveling up.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:26 am

I'd say it's better spent on decks and if you want to increase your energy just spend more research in the energy tree. Eventually, like at your level now, Manus, you can spend more on crew and "customize" you ship. But at the lower ranks the decks will allow you to be more flexible until you pick which route you want to go.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:39 am

Yeah, it's just that getting a bunch of energy at the start is what lets you keep leveling up, I wouldn't be a high level if I hadn't done that before, Engineers are 40% of my max energy even with Intra-D Collider Mark IV. And the earlier you get Engineers the more energy you'll get from them overall.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:51 am

just wondering how to move areas so i can colonise new planets

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 am

Awesome Mcgee wrote:
just wondering how to move areas so i can colonise new planets

You don't move areas, you scan for new planets. You can research better scanning in order to do this; usually people will research an entire tier of scanning tech, then put five of the ones they just researched on their ship and do a "scanning blitz," using all their energy for scanning until they get to a low chance of success, or until they run out of energy, in which case they usually wait for more. This can be done on the Planets tab, simply click the "Scan for new Planets" button and you will see your chance of success (based on your scanning and the amount of planets in your database) and there will be a button to do a scan, which will cost 5 energy.

Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:06 am

Headless, that was a massive insight, thanks bro. very helpful to me (as an FNG!!!)

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello. I'm a level 10, quick learner, with a few questions. I'm hoping you can help out...

1) What... EXACTLY... is Cloaking? I get it's useful. But what does it do for ships and for planets?

2) What does hacking do for you?

3) Just how likely is it that someone will stumble on the really nice world I picked up? Should I be getting ready to defend the hell out of it at level 20? Is it even worth it if someone level 200+ will just come along and in one shot turn me into slag?

4) What is the best race and profession? I heard Sillix / Explorer... but could you explain your own choice, and why it's the best? I took the robotic race / physicist figuring research was important, and so were shields.

5) I have cash, and don't mind spending it on games I like, and I like this game. What artifacts would you suggest picking up? I did get a couple of the nice cannons, spun the wheel a few times, and bought some couple cargo and deck boosts.

6) (whoops, edit) What, beyond looking for planets and the occasional mission, is SCANNING useful for?

Thanks folks. :)

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Threadbare wrote:
Hello. I'm a level 10, quick learner, with a few questions. I'm hoping you can help out...

1) What... EXACTLY... is Cloaking? I get it's useful. But what does it do for ships and for planets?

3) Just how likely is it that someone will stumble on the really nice world I picked up? Should I be getting ready to defend the hell out of it at level 20? Is it even worth it if someone level 200+ will just come along and in one shot turn me into slag?

4) What is the best race and profession? I heard Sillix / Explorer... but could you explain your own choice, and why it's the best? I took the robotic race / physicist figuring research was important, and so were shields.

5) I have cash, and don't mind spending it on games I like, and I like this game. What artifacts would you suggest picking up? I did get a couple of the nice cannons, spun the wheel a few times, and bought some couple cargo and deck boosts.

6) (whoops, edit) What, beyond looking for planets and the occasional mission, is SCANNING useful for?

Ok well first off welcome to the game. Glad to have you and hope you enjoy it as much as many of us have. :D

1. Cloak is used on your ship to help hide it from others on the battle tab. The more cloak you have the less likely you will be found by some random player on the battle tab and attacked. This is nice because it can get discouraging for new players to come online and find that they have been disabled again and again every day. Cloaking is also used in hacking (which I will explain next) and in pvp do decide the critical hit chance.

2. Now hacking is an option you can have to do to an enemy player. You need higher scan and cloak for this. When you do this you have a chance to get some research points from the enemy if he/she has any unspent. Also if you get a critical hack you can get a planet location from them as well. There is also room for to fail a hack where you get nothing, get a counter hack where you lose some research points, and a critical counter hack where you lose a planet location. The last two hardly ever happen but they do happen so watch out for other players with high cloak and or scan.

3. No if someone wants you world bad enough they will take it from someone your rank. However what may be really nice to you may not be to them so they may not even consider taking your world just because they are looking for something better. However if it is a really really nice world you may lose it if some one else finds it. But since you are lower in rank and have less worlds the chances are lower that someone will find one of your good worlds when it really comes down to it.

4. It is really up to your play style. When I first started I went with Inergon spy because I knew energy would come in handy and I thought cloak would be cool. Which it was since I never got attacked unless I attacked a player first. (Till much later in the game)

5. I would say if you are going to spend money on the game use it on energy refills and be sure to get the Fathers. They will help you so much in the long run. Also get the qusai and the terreforming artifacts. These help your worlds and will help you in the long run. But don't forget that that will make your world more tempting to take as well so its up to you if you want to risk it or not.

6. Finding more players on your battle tab and hacking. Thats really about it. I never did much in scanning till much later in the game because not I never really hacked so I had no need for it. I just did it every once in a while for scanning for new worlds. Its up to you and what you want to do with your game playing style on how much scan you do or don't want.

Hope that helps and Good luck to ya. :D If you have any further Q's please let us know. :D

Ship size: Colossal Galaxy Destroyer,
Because just destroying your star wasn't enough.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:53 pm
Profile WWW

Threadbare wrote:

Cloaking hide's your ship from others in the battle tab. To see you, someone needs to have a higher scan than your cloak for you to show up. Since cloaks and even more so, scan mods are so big, most players do not have many of either before very high levels.

The best race and profession are the one's that best fit your playstyle. If you looking to rank up fast, then Inergon or human are good, along with spending many rank points into engineers. If you looking to make your ship tough, then Aerlene and fixer is good. If your looking to do lots of NPC farming and want to maximise your attack to energy ratio, konquul is good. Just all depends on what you plan on doing in the game. Once you figure this out it will be easier for you to see which ones best suite you. Don't be affraid to reclass if needs be.

Many of the arties are useful, it's just up to you to determine what you need or want, and how much your willing to spend. Ship upgrades are permanent, but are very expensive to get any decent amounts out of them. Most ship upgrades can be gotten very easily with a high artifact production. The one's you will probably want the most are the one's hardest to find in the game. Planet fluxes are extremely usefull all throughout the game. Taking a planet w/o one is almost pointless unless you massively out rank the player and they don't have, or are in, a very crappy legion. Quasi spacial expanders are probably the one's you will want the most in the end, as they increase the size of your planets. Some mission artifacts increase the size and production of your planets, and if you use QSEs to max them out to v massive, they'll become colossal and super colossals with the mission artifacts. I would not do these until your very high ranked and have researched most, if not all of your planet defenses as trying to hold on to them at a low rank is nigh impossible. Terraformers are very valuable too, but you can farm those quite effectively once' you get a few hundred ranks under you.

Don't slouch on scan. Even if your not into doing a lot of hacking, it's still the best way to find more planets, and good planets are key to the game.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:15 pm

thank you both for your answers!

So... how likely is it that someone much higher level than me will come across my world? It looks like in the battle screen, you are limited to seeing people of about your level. Is the same true for worlds?

And if not, what would an 80 cloak do for me? Sounds like just block anyone with less than 80 scan from finding me. That'd keep off lower levels, but I'm assuming higher level folks wouldn't blink at an 80 cloak.

(The world is Rich Mining, Megax4 Artifact, Ultra-Rich Research, Very Large - so I figure it qualifies as 'really really' good.)

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:50 pm

No any one can see your worlds regardless of rank. That is a really good world and I am sad to say that if I ever saw it I would take it from you even if you where rank 20. lol Its the way the game is played however the chances of some one finding that one world out of all the others out there are not that high but they are there so since you spend money on the game and since it is such a great world. I would be ready to flux it before you hit rank 24. First get a flux prob from your artifact production. With this you can see if anyone has seen your world. Use the artifact on the world of your choosing and it will tell you that X amount of players can see it. If no one can it will say 0. If it says anything other than 0 than I would buy a planet flux and use that on the world. A planet flux takes a world that others can see and makes it so only you can see it. This is very helpful in times of war or if you take someone else's world.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:17 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for the advice. Yeah, I figured it was a damn fine world. I was stunned when it popped up.

Maybe I'll find a Legion with more powerful folks that'll take me in exchange for sharing my world out.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 pm

You would give that world away? I wouldn't do that I would just try and get into a decent legion without bribing them. I'm sure you will be able to find one that has a player or two over rank 100 with a lot of smaller players in it that will let you in to help them out. Just need to prove your self more. Maybe build up your stats some and get your tech up. That is the main things most players look at when deciding weather to fight you when you are not in a legion. Your stats, how many battles you have been in, your kill to death ratio, and your raids/hacks. As well as what your techs are. This is another thing that you scan and cloak helps with by the way. The higher cloak a player has the less an attacking player can see of the defending players tech. How ever if that player has higher cloak than he can see more of the defending players tech. So depending on how much you want to see of a players ship is a deciding factor in how much scan you want. This is very helpful later on since more players put on more cloak and then you can't see how many hull or shield models they have on so you don't know how much it will take to take them down and so forth.

So that is another thing to consider. However if you are applying to another's legion they will be able to see everything on your ship regardless of cloak. They will also be able to post on your comm. How ever they will not be able to attack, raid, or hack you.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:47 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks, you've been awfully helpful. This is a pretty complex game. I think I'll stay a while.

Hope you don't find my world. :P

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next