View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Planetary Cloaking 

i was wondering what effect, as in how much harder to find you, will a cloak of 60 provide?

That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Fri May 07, 2010 2:22 am

On a planet? IDK for sure but supposedly thats a hefty sum. WTB Dev

Fri May 07, 2010 2:27 am

Cothordin wrote:
On a planet? IDK for sure but supposedly thats a hefty sum. WTB Dev

You have mod dun be greedy :evil:

Fri May 07, 2010 2:45 am

wtb dev? way to be....i think but dev?

That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Fri May 07, 2010 2:45 am

jcwiggens wrote:
wtb dev? way to be....i think but dev?

developer, having the mathematics of cloaking unveiled would be awesome.

Fri May 07, 2010 2:46 am

Its simple... a little too simple...

When a player begins a scan, if the scanning power at that time exceeds the cloaking rating of a planet, it is eligible to be found in the random pool.

Fri May 07, 2010 4:28 am

So a player with scanning 100 has the same chance of finding a planet with cloak 60 and cloak 0??? Or are the chances lower? If they are same, cloak 60 would be almost negligible...

Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 am

yes that it a little TOO simple lol

so it's baiscally an IF logic saying if (scanning>cloaking then able to find = yes)

I figured it would at least give you a differential in the chance to be found....

example of what i woulda figured....

let's say a planet has 100 cloaking... and i have 1000 scanning power

then chance to find or scan would equal (scanning-planet cloaking)/total scanning= % chance

so in this case (1000-100)/1000= 90% chance to scan THIS planet randomly.
so that way at least cloaking has SOME effect and it's not an (ALL or nothing) attribute

planet with 0 cloaking or unoccupied of course this would equally 100% random find.

that way it would still work correctly in the scan for planets option
say you only have a 25% chance to find a new planet anyway
the planet with no cloaking would still have a random 25% chance to be found... but the planet with 100 cloaking out of the 1000 scanning power would only have a 22.5% chance to be found (25% * 90%)= 22.5%

Just wondering what ya thought of this idea dan? because i personally don't like the (all or nothing) approach considering that just looking at the TECH LEVEL 3 of scanning and cloaking you have +46/+53/+62 per scanner... but in planet cloaking you get only a size 2 +10 cloaking satellite.

It just doesn't equal and isn't worth it in my opinion

a very massive planet with 69 space could hold 34 satallites with a total of 340 cloaking and NO production for tech level 3 but at the same time 5 +62 scanners would equal 310 scanning (without bonus's).... it's just not worth ONLY have scanners to hide a planet with no production on it... the cloaking needs to be uped a little bit on planets to make it vaiable.. or have a change in the (all or nothing) math involved so it's actually worth it.

Because at Tech level 5 we get a 3 size +20 cloaking sattalite.. but since scanners scale SO massivley that you could have 5 tech 5 scanners of +152 each for a total of 760 scanning... and with the poor +20 cloaking only there is just NO way to ever TRUELY hide a planet with or without production at this level... so the all or nothing effect seems to ALWAYS come into play at hi levels and it looks like it's pretty much ALWAYS gonna have a chance to find your cloaked planet no matter how MASSIVELY you try to hide it... there's just no way to.. that's why i like my idea of actually have cloaking play SOME part in hiding it.

what you think everyone?

Fri May 07, 2010 5:03 am

Yes, its the same chance. 60 is not negligible. The average player in GL has a scan rating less than 25.

Don't think of planetary cloaking as a way to prevent *everyone* from scanning your planet. You just want to prevent a LOT of players from finding it, especially first timers and lower levels who can find a decent amount right from the start.

Cloaking might need a buff though, I'm not arguing that :)

Last edited by webguydan on Fri May 07, 2010 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 07, 2010 5:03 am

A rank 20 with 4 EM scanners > 60 cloak :(. So if your planet has only 10 cloak, any ship with the 3x beginner scanner (scan 4) can scan it with the same percentage :(. I think this needs reviewing.

EDIT: Cloak 60 becomes negligible when a tahcyon cylinder comes in...

EDIT: Something like having attack more than att+def won't result in 100% invasion chances...cloak should mimic this more I think

Fri May 07, 2010 5:06 am

To my experience ... I used big scans to find planet and the ratio I saw was like 1/100, practically I needed scans 100 x superior than the planet cloak to find them ... It may completly wrong, but out of the 79 ennemy planets none has cloaking > 1/100 of my scan ability used during my scan rush.

Fri May 07, 2010 6:18 am

I would believe it also depends on the rarity of the planet. Common>Uncommon>Rare>w/e

So I would think each would give an increase in cloak ability right?

Fri May 07, 2010 12:36 pm

webguydan wrote:
Yes, its the same chance. 60 is not negligible. The average player in GL has a scan rating less than 25.

That's a flawed measurement.. Average players with scanning less than 25? You looked at it as "static". Most players just retrofit their ship with many scanning devices without any other components just for scanning purpose then switch back to their generic ship fit.. Scanning rating less than 25 as a measurement works only for generic fit that people follows.. But 25 average definitely isn't for players who actually scan for planets actively..

Likewise, planetary owners have NO luxury to fit their favorite planets to full cloak or to generic structure on call like ship does..

Fri May 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Which is why he made defense easier to obtain and take less space on the planet. Planets aren't meant to be completely unfindable and if you want yours to be invisible tough luck. Thats part of the never knowing part of this game. It is more important to defend then it is to cloak. However, adding small ammounts of cloak will keep level 20s and under from finding your planets usually. Of course there are occasions where they will luck out and find it.

Fri May 07, 2010 3:09 pm

My problem with planet cloak is that it only protects it from those who probably couldn't invade it anyway. It's been a while since my last scan (I wait til I get a high % and then go nuts) but I think my rank was high 30s or low 40s, low to mid level, and my scan was pushing 300. Through the 1st 4 cloak tech levels, the best we can do is a +10 structure, which is so low that I've never bothered building any.

I don't really know how scan success is calculated, this is all based on my assumption that it's straight numbers - 50% scan success means just that, and if a planet has higher cloak than my scan rating, it's simply removed from the list of possibilities.

If that's how it works, maybe it can be changed so that instead of cloak being a value, it's a percentage. For example, planet cloak of 30 = a 30% chance of it being removed from the list of possible planets. Or something like that... Make it so ANY amount of cloak has SOME value.

Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Sure. I'll gather some deeper thoughts on this and share those soon. Regardless, I know that planet cloak will need a buff - either a raw one to the structures themselves and/or a fundamental change in the scan calculations.

Fri May 07, 2010 11:20 pm

webguydan wrote:
Sure. I'll gather some deeper thoughts on this and share those soon. Regardless, I know that planet cloak will need a buff - either a raw one to the structures themselves and/or a fundamental change in the scan calculations.

Wootzorz

Fri May 07, 2010 11:42 pm

hi webguydan
i had a thought to maybe making the cloak more meaningful without making planets invisible. if no cloaking is used the the regular method of calculating is a planet is found would be used. if , however , any cloaking is used on a planet an additional step would be used. you could subtract the cloaking power from the players total scanning power of the scanning player to obtain a new possibility of a success. if the planet was detected with this new number, then it would be added to to pool of planets to be discovered. or something along the lines that that effect weather a planet should even be added to the pool while keeping player with less then the cloaking power from even having a chance. so planets that do cloak will have something more then being safe from players, who as stated are not really even powerful enough or likely to invade. thanks for the eyeballs.

Sun May 09, 2010 4:15 pm

jcwiggens wrote:
hi webguydan
i had a thought to maybe making the cloak more meaningful without making planets invisible. if no cloaking is used the the regular method of calculating is a planet is found would be used. if , however , any cloaking is used on a planet an additional step would be used. you could subtract the cloaking power from the players total scanning power of the scanning player to obtain a new possibility of a success. if the planet was detected with this new number, then it would be added to to pool of planets to be discovered. or something along the lines that that effect weather a planet should even be added to the pool while keeping player with less then the cloaking power from even having a chance. so planets that do cloak will have something more then being safe from players, who as stated are not really even powerful enough or likely to invade. thanks for the eyeballs.

This could work from what I understand from it.

Sun May 09, 2010 7:58 pm

jcwiggens wrote:
hi webguydan

Yeah! If I'm understanding you, then that sounds like a real-world solution to my wishful-thinking post above. I was thinking of something like that but didn't know how to make it work. I think the formula would need to be tweaked though, for example: Say my scan is 200 (a very low figure by rank 30-40.) An unoccupied or zero-cloak planet would be 200 - 0 for 100% chance of it being scannable, which is cool. But a world with 100 cloak (a huge amount for any planet) would be 200 - 100, still 100% chance of being scannable. I think you're on to something here though.

Sun May 09, 2010 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next