View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Natural Dyson FFA 

PLURVIOUS wrote:
Every planet has been scanned (therefore, by extension, every Dyson has been scanned). With tens of thousands of players performing thousands of scans over the course of 4 years, it's a pretty safe bet that every planet has shown up on someone's planet list at some point in time. A given planet may have "0 other ships scanned", but that's because it got purged who knows how many times over.

Look at it this way: There are 5 million planets. GL has been around 4 years; if 1,250,000 planets were scanned each year, they'd all be scanned by now. Dividing that by 10,000 players (and Facebook used to report more than that), you get 125. That's right - 125 planets in a YEAR, and we've hit 5,000,000. Is it unreasonable to conclude that a player scans 125 planets over the course of an entire year? I do more than that in a single mini scan run.

This is why you can do a scan run and not get anything better than Very Large Rich. All the decent natural planets have long since been scanned and occupied. Most players are building, buying, or invading the good planets they have.

The math is still flawed. While there is a very small chance, there's nothing to say that two people don't scan the same 125 planets. People have scanned the same planet, therefore, all 5 million have most likely not been scanned. PLUS, the 10K includes lower ranks who obviously don't scan 125 planets.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:27 am

As a new player i find this thread a little disheartening.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:26 am

Zarachiel wrote:

Don't be disheartened Zarachiel, found a nice unoccupied Dyson myself and they keep getting found, just not by the people saying they don't exist ;)

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:14 am

When I first started I saw the 5 million planets and thought wow definitely a lot. But 4 yrs and so many people scanning 1000's daily, chances are the vast majority of planets have been seen at least once. Maybe they could have a survey team explore new galaxies every year and add to the pool?

Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Assuming there is no mechanism we don't know about that recycles garbage planets (i.e. uncolonized, unscanned, low production, recently purged), it's a good bet that most of them have been picked up.

That being said, I know several people who have scanned unoccupied or stolen them over the last 9 months. Admittedly, most have been research and mining, and even some of the artifact Dysons haven't been mind-blowingly impressive... but unless the last one was found just a few hours ago, there are still definitely a few out there.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:48 pm

i typically hear of someone finding a dyson around once a month / 2 months, so they are there

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:37 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
Zarachiel wrote:
When I first started I saw the 5 million planets and thought wow definitely a lot. But 4 yrs and so many people scanning 1000's daily, chances are the vast majority of planets have been seen at least once. Maybe they could have a survey team explore new galaxies every year and add to the pool?

Pongoloid wrote:
Assuming there is no mechanism we don't know about that recycles garbage planets (i.e. uncolonized, unscanned, low production, recently purged), it's a good bet that most of them have been picked up.

That being said, I know several people who have scanned unoccupied or stolen them over the last 9 months. Admittedly, most have been research and mining, and even some of the artifact Dysons haven't been mind-blowingly impressive... but unless the last one was found just a few hours ago, there are still definitely a few out there.

Yep, and as more and more time passes, there's less and less hope of finding that natural Dyson we all want.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:52 am

I'll just throw in the probility behind this now...

If there is a 1/5,000,000 chance of scanning a planet, then if you scan 5,000,000 planets then it now becomes likely that you will have scanned the planet in question; it is never definite that you will scan a planet. If you perform 100000000000000000000000000000 scans, there's still a chance that a single planet might've never been scanned.

I am of the opinion that the planet pool needs to be expanded upon again. Maybe multiplied ten times in size...

I found a 25xArti Dyson about two years ago and I've still got it, but my last few thousand scans have been mostly pretty s***.

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:36 pm

PLURVIOUS wrote:
Every planet has been scanned (therefore, by extension, every Dyson has been scanned). With tens of thousands of players performing thousands of scans over the course of 4 years, it's a pretty safe bet that every planet has shown up on someone's planet list at some point in time. A given planet may have "0 other ships scanned", but that's because it got purged who knows how many times over.

Look at it this way: There are 5 million planets. GL has been around 4 years; if 1,250,000 planets were scanned each year, they'd all be scanned by now. Dividing that by 10,000 players (and Facebook used to report more than that), you get 125. That's right - 125 planets in a YEAR, and we've hit 5,000,000. Is it unreasonable to conclude that a player scans 125 planets over the course of an entire year? I do more than that in a single mini scan run.

This is why you can do a scan run and not get anything better than Very Large Rich. All the decent natural planets have long since been scanned and occupied. Most players are building, buying, or invading the good planets they have.

F A I L bud

When i found a 7x vl exotic on my last blitz it had not been scanned... Anyone who had would have colonized it. quitters if they had found right before quitting without resetting or deleting the game would have still had it on scan...

ergo your logic is wrong mi amigo or your math.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Fear wrote:
PLURVIOUS wrote:

F A I L bud

When i found a 7x vl exotic on my last blitz it had not been scanned... Anyone who had would have colonized it. quitters if they had found right before quitting without resetting or deleting the game would have still had it on scan...

Actually, there is a GREAT chance that every planet have been scanned by someone at some point.
That does not mean, however, that every planet that is on nobody's list was purged.
At this point in game, I'm willing to bet well over half, if not over 90% of all the good but not awesome planets are generated when players reset. Due to the GP cost and likely limited supply of GP, if any, only awesome planets can be semi-guaranteed a transfer. A good planet, like the 7x mentioned, might have not made the cut whereas a dyson is much more likely. So the evidence of a 7x VL doesn't prove anything in any fashion.

That said, there could be dysons generated in this fashion as well, if the owner had no friends and/or is a cheapstick.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:08 am

Uy23e wrote:
Fear wrote:
PLURVIOUS wrote:

F A I L bud

Actually, there is a GREAT chance that every planet have been scanned by someone at some point.
That does not mean, however, that every planet that is on nobody's list was purged.
At this point in game, I'm willing to bet well over half, if not over 90% of all the good but not awesome planets are generated when players reset. Due to the GP cost and likely limited supply of GP, if any, only awesome planets can be semi-guaranteed a transfer. A good planet, like the 7x mentioned, might have not made the cut whereas a dyson is much more likely. So the evidence of a 7x VL doesn't prove anything in any fashion.

That said, there could be dysons generated in this fashion as well, if the owner had no friends and/or is a cheapstick.

Math I don't do to be honest. BUT the assumption inherent in yours and Plurv's logic is that the number of scans can be averaged... I'd say you're wrong as you don't know how many scans have been done vs planets. The other issue you guys are not addressing and to be fair I don't see how you could mathematically... is the concept of re-scans... whether purged or not, as planets are scanned by more than one player on occasion that has to factor in...

my saving grace - I didn't say a lot were not scanned, I just said I was sure not ALL were scanned at one point or another.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:34 am

Fear wrote:
Uy23e wrote:
Fear wrote:
F A I L bud

Math I don't do to be honest. BUT the assumption inherent in yours and Plurv's logic is that the number of scans can be averaged... I'd say you're wrong as you don't know how many scans have been done vs planets. The other issue you guys are not addressing and to be fair I don't see how you could mathematically... is the concept of re-scans... whether purged or not, as planets are scanned by more than one player on occasion that has to factor in...

my saving grace - I didn't say a lot were not scanned, I just said I was sure not ALL were scanned at one point or another.

I'm NOT assuming that at all. I have calculations done a few post back. You'd see that the calculated result from that. The chance of all planet are scanned is vastly bigger than the chance it's not, but it might or might not be statistically conclusive depending on the exact amount of scans done. Specifically, 130M total planet lock(counting unsuccessful due to cloak) done would be statistically conclusive. Of course, statistically conclusive is only saying>99.5% chance and there is always a chance that not all of them are scanned, but I specifically stated "GREAT chance" and not definite for this reason. My statement would probably be considered technical correct at 100M mark (6.8% not true). There is no doubt in my mind that 100M planet have been achieved in the last 4 years, my only uncertainty is how much have been done since the last batch of planet have been added(the latest added planet would have a bigger chance of never been discovered due to smaller number of scan done sense) You shouldn't assume people are assuming things.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:38 am

is it possable that every planet that has 0 scans on it is infact a placeholder for a random planet based on a logarithm?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:50 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
draxsiss wrote:
is it possable that every planet that has 0 scans on it is infact a placeholder for a random planet based on a logarithm?

No because I sometimes scan the same planets again after I purge them

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:53 pm

the real question is how often does "Planets In Galaxy: 4,905,495" change.

that would be a good thing to know as well

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:02 pm

ArconZX wrote:

I'm almost certain that in all my time of playing that said number has never changed.

Give us better planets, Dan! :mrgreen:

Devastation - Rank 1209 - Proud Officer of Imperium of Namalak

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:00 am

Devastation wrote:
ArconZX wrote:

I'm almost certain that in all my time of playing that said number has never changed.

I heard(I never did bother to keep track) that a batch was added like 3 years ago or so....

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53 pm
When I started playing in November of 2011, it was about 2.1 million I think. In this video, it's under 1 million.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:50 am

Zarachiel wrote:

The most disheartening thing about this thread is how misleading the title is.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:04 am

Devastation wrote:
ArconZX wrote:

play uplifter races and make better planets :mrgreen:

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next