View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 ALERT: TRE04: A Choice of Sides 

The war between the Tej-Sheel and the Tej-Brask continues to escalate. As lines are drawn, further investigations reveal that both sides are willing to ally with just about anyone to gain an advantage, including enemies of the %Race government. Leaders feel that choosing a side may be the best option given the circumstances...

Current Voting Results: TBD

Daily Mission
A Choice of Sides
We grow concerned over this war between the Tej-Brask and the Tej-Sheel. In their desperation, they are frantically seeking out potential allies, and that could potentially include our enemies. We need to decide how to control the situation appropriately.

Cost: 190 Energy, 1 Neural Interface
345 experience, 1 Tejiar Ally HQ
40 clicks, 10 completions

Tejiar Ally HQ
[Planet Structure - Size:1, Mining:2, Artifact:1]
If built on a planet that has been scanned by at least 1 other ship, the structure gains +1 artifact and provides a +5% cloak bonus
Limit 1 per planet
Scrap Value: 5-10 Complex Tech Parts

To complete this mission, you must vote on its next path...
A Choice of Sides
Vote on the next mission path:
(Highest votes among all players will decide next mission)

Become allies with the Tej Sheel

Become allies with the Tej Brask

You may vote only once per mission.
(Subsequent completions of this mission will not require a vote)

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:27 am

Reward is a planet structure. size 1: mining 2, arti 1. If built on a planet scanned by at least one other person, gives an extra 1 arti and 5% cloak bonus.

Also you need to pick a side at the end of completion.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 am

Tej Sheel was my pick =)

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:06 am

My pick as well, mentioned something about being more hi-tech.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:08 am

I'd like to remind people at this point that the arti we'll get will almost certainly be the same either way, since we won't ever see the alternative vote choice(see one of the other fortnightly chains which had a vote for proof of that).

So at the end of the day, close your eyes and vote, because we'll get the same module either way, all that will change are the names used/minor storyline changes(in regards to whom we chose) in the future missions for this chain.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 am

Tej-Braask.... They have more Raix then the Sheel and a much larger fleet

vir·u·lent ˈvir(y)ələnt/ 1. Bitterly hostile. 2. (of a disease or poison) extremely severe or harmful in its effects.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 am

Voted for Tej-Sheel

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 am

Do we really need a vote by vote commentary? Why can't we discuss the implications of a cloak bonus if the planet is already scanned by someone else?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:54 am

S.Hawking wrote:
Do we really need a vote by vote commentary? Why can't we discuss the implications of a cloak bonus if the planet is already scanned by someone else?

lol you mean in so far as it's rewarding you for the polar opposite of what you would use cloak for :D

I personally will be saving all of mine for when i steal a really nice planet, plop the structure on the world and then flux it.

I think it also has wider implications though. This is just one structure in a trend of recent planet structures wherein we are rewarded with a bonus for having additional scans on a planet.

To my mind, this is in direct contradiction with Dan's purported dislike of planet trading. From what i have seen, the majority of my legion who will place these structures will do so in the process of either buying a planet or having a planet transformed.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 am

kirkeastment wrote:
I'd like to remind people at this point that the arti we'll get will almost certainly be the same either way, since we won't ever see the alternative vote choice(see one of the other fortnightly chains which had a vote for proof of that).

So at the end of the day, close your eyes and vote, because we'll get the same module either way, all that will change are the names used/minor storyline changes(in regards to whom we chose) in the future missions for this chain.

well doesn't that just completely destroy the whole point of choosing sides?. id like the choices to have different meanings and arty's all together. kinda pointless really.

but since the whole galaxy gets to vote for the side than it doesn't really matter anyway. it would be nice if you could just a side and continue from a different branch.

Say sheel was more planetary and brask was more ship. and there was actually a way of knowing. like both sides offering you your benefits of joining .

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:30 am

blackfox wrote:
kirkeastment wrote:

well doesn't that just completely destroy the whole point of choosing sides?. id like the choices to have different meanings and arty's all together. kinda pointless really.

but since the whole galaxy gets to vote for the side than it doesn't really matter anyway. it would be nice if you could just a side and continue from a different branch.

Say sheel was more planetary and brask was more ship. and there was actually a way of knowing. like both sides offering you your benefits of joining .

Wouldn't it probably be reversed for the two. I mean, the Sheel seem more techy and Braask is more… cultural. :P

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:38 pm

I'd suspect that Dan probably does have something programmed for either outcome, and the result may actually be different. But since we have no way of knowing, Kirk's right that it might as well be the same either way.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 pm

kirkeastment wrote:

Can you word of god that for me? Or am I supposed to accept your cynicism without proof? I read each of the threads that came after fateful decision about the vote and saw no word of god post from Dan saying what you claim. The closest I can come to him even addressing what you are stating is something which implies the exact opposite of what you posit.

http://galaxylegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=390449#p390449

webguydan wrote:
Hi everyone,

An update: The mission saga will be available this Friday evening. There is a lot of content that follows this particular ending so we are making sure everything is polished.

The October seasonal will begin next Wednesday.

I underlined and changed the color of the important part.

The Prisoner wrote:
You know something's wrong when the Trade Outpost sub-forum has the most interesting topics

Well it was an ill considered idea in the first place.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Serne wrote:
kirkeastment wrote:

Can you word of god that for me? Or am I supposed to accept your cynicism without proof? I read each of the threads that came after fateful decision about the vote and saw no word of god post from Dan saying what you claim. The closest I can come to him even addressing what you are stating is something which implies the exact opposite of what you posit.

http://galaxylegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=390449#p390449

webguydan wrote:
Hi everyone,

An update: The mission saga will be available this Friday evening. There is a lot of content that follows this particular ending so we are making sure everything is polished.

The October seasonal will begin next Wednesday.

I underlined and changed the color of the important part.

No, of course there is no word of god(Dan) on what i stated, and i highly doubt Dan would admit to the idea that what we are voting on is already pre-determined... albeit with just minor alterations to storyline outcomes and module/structure names.

But ask yourself these two questions;

1) Why would Dan write out 6-10 completely different missions(at this stage there are likely 3-5 more missions to this chain, so 6-10 alternatives to script)... when he just needs to write out 3-5 scripts with inter-changeable names/minor alterations for the important parts.

2) Do you think Dan is going to buy image licenses for what could be 6-10 alternate mission images, alternate module/structure designs... when he could just pay for 3-5 images and depending on the outcome of the vote, name the modules/structures after the fact.

Now here is the important part. Dan will have scripted this chain a few months ago. He'll have everything bought already(designs and such), and it's now just a case of him giving us the content to use. Also, he will have already uploaded all the content for this mission onto the servers, its just hidden from us at the moment.

The content has to be road tested on Dan's test server as well, which as Dan has told us in the past, can take weeks to do properly, as such, I am 99% certain he's not going to roll out anything he hasn't already tested. That imo means that regardless of how we vote, what we get has already been designed(including stats), and as such Dan is just waiting to see what he has to "name" the future artifacts in this chain.

I see the same thing when i look at the Uldrinian chain, wherein 3 missions before the end, we had a vote. We(as a galaxy) chose to prevent the collapse and save the Uldrinian people.

If we had decided otherwise, what would have occurred is we would've saved the Ventarr(ship name(not a race)) and its crew. The mission following this was called "Solemn Reflections"... That name would have been apt with either outcome of the previous mission vote.

If we had chose to save the Ventarr, we still would have gained access to the Uldri Recovery Capsule artifact, only it would've been called the Ventarr Recovery Capsule... or maybe even Uldri Stasis Capsule... inside of which would be the survivors of the collapse of their expanse. This would then mean we would go on to get the Uldri Trade Pact, as we help them rebuild their territories and help them rebuild their civilization.

:ugeek:

TL:DR

At the end of the day, if i'm wrong, you'll never know anyway, since we won't see anything other than what we are given.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 pm

I liked the idea that each individual voted on the path their ship took. A vote for "A" takes you down one path in the chain. A vote for "B" takes you down the other path. Would allow for a little more customization between ships.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:37 am

eternalpaw wrote:
I liked the idea that each individual voted on the path their ship took. A vote for "A" takes you down one path in the chain. A vote for "B" takes you down the other path. Would allow for a little more customization between ships.

Whilst it would be nice for this to occur, it would cost Dan more cash to do this, which would mean less cash spent in other area's... be that content or server maintenance, something would have to suffer in the short term or long term, in order for Dan to have different paths for individual ships.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:31 am

At least as far as the licensed stuff, he could use that later elsewhere. So he licenses a picture for a module and a building, and those are the two voting options. Whichever one we pick, he uses the other image later on something else.

But Kirk is still probably right - it'd be easier to just have outcomes be the same regardless and just swap in different pre-written text.

"(Damn/Thank) you, (noble hero/accursed mountebank)! You've (saved/killed) us all! In return for this (terrible/great) deed, we give you this (underpowered ship module/underpowered ship module)!

It would be different, of course if we could see options of rewards - then we'd know there was actually a choice being made.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:16 pm

kirkeastment wrote:
eternalpaw wrote:

Whilst it would be nice for this to occur, it would cost Dan more cash to do this, which would mean less cash spent in other area's... be that content or server maintenance, something would have to suffer in the short term or long term, in order for Dan to have different paths for individual ships.

+1

Though it would be great if more role playing was put into this game. more choice that make you and your ship unique instead of everyone playing the same with next to the same ship.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]