View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Watch your Facebook name 

An hour ago my Facebook account was suspended. It seems that I cannot unlock it unless I can prove the fake name I had on Facebook is my real name, with government issued ID.

Obviously I cannot do that. I have submitted a passport scan in the hope that they'll unlock it and set it to my real name - something I'm not entirely happy about.

From the wording there they will only unlock me if I can prove that "Steve Steve" is my real name. It of course is not. This makes me concerned that my GL account is now unreachable and I've no desire to start it all again.

So if you don't use your real name on Facebook then you may wish to change your Facebook account now, so that if this does happen to you then you'll be able to unlock it.

For reference I do nothing, post nothing, share nothing on my own profile. I don't go to other people's. I just use it for GL and my legion groups, trade groups and group chats. There's no reason I would have been reported for doing anything untoward.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Is there any possibility that you can contact Facebook support regarding this. If you paid for GP and use thhe app there is no reason for them to HAVE to know your identity

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:19 pm

I've contacted them the the only way possible that I can find, sending them a scan of my passport. I've used considerable amounts of GP.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Dude be careful ask questions and verify that this is legit. I really don't understand why they would need that information.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 pm

It's perfectly legit. It's not an email I received. This is on the facebook site when I try to go there, it's disconnected the messenger from my phone.

Trust me, I am suspended on Facebook. It's entirely because I'm not using my real name. I cannot prove my fake name is real with government issued ID. And it's all because of an automatic check that Facebook do, or because someone reported me out of spite.

I'm not an idiot following a phishing email.

I strongly suggest anyone who uses a fake name considers changing it ASAP. At least then you'll be able to unlock it.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:31 pm

IF you do nothing with your facebook account, then it is highly possible they will suspend your account.
Have you read the Facebook terms and condition? They explain that ppl should only use 1 account for 1 person, and if you use alt to play game, definitely you're not a 'real' person in their system security measures.

IF you posts, gather friends, etc. using your alt account, it is highly possible that your account will pass the security check (if you're just a bot, or not)

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:03 pm
Profile WWW

I don't use an alt. I only have one facebook account. I just don't use it other than for GL.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:33 pm

Dan has confirmed by email that you can't connect to GL without FB which makes sense. He also says there is no way to link an existing GL account to a different FB account. I don't understand why that couldn't be done.

In any case it seems the $x,xxx I've spent on GL is lost forever and I have no way to reclaim or use it. I certainly won't be creating a new account or starting again.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Moral is, don't make fake FB profiles.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:00 pm

This is something they've done for years. Good luck.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Levrosh wrote:

Not quite. No. That would require a tardis. Everybody here already has a GL account and thus they have a FB account.

As I said my first post what people need to consider doing is changing their Facebook name to their real name.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Velociraptor wrote:
I don't use an alt. I only have one facebook account. I just don't use it other than for GL.

Not suggesting you use an alt for your GL account, but I'm suggesting that doing nothing besides playing game, no chat, no add friends, etc., will notify the system that you're highly probable a bot, or not a 'real' person.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 am
Profile WWW

Velociraptor wrote:
Levrosh wrote:

Not quite. No. That would require a tardis. Everybody here already has a GL account and thus they have a FB account.

As I said my first post what people need to consider doing is changing their Facebook name to their real name.

That implies that everyone who has a GL account used a fake name when they signed up for FB. Many of us used FB apart from GL and so have always had our real names on our accounts.

My condolences on your situation, but given that FB has a real name requirement in their TOS, the warning against and assumption of widespread fake name use seems a little odd.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:12 am

I've no idea how many people use fake names on their Facebook account. One person I frequently speak to in your legion does - or at least it looks to me that he has used an ingame name.

I know that probably most people have a normal FB account they use for GL, but I know that some people don't.

While I'm certain the vast majority of people can safely ignore this warning, I'm also sure that there are at least some GL players who could fall into the same hole I have, and I think it's worth letting people know it exists. I think it's fairly apparent that I'm only suggesting people who don't have their real name on their profile consider it.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:27 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
I think there's something else wrong here. If Facebook is doing this to people who don't use their real name or who use more than one account*, half of GL would be in the same boat.

* I'm talking about more than 1 FB account, not a multi playing GL (Dan has been weeding those out).

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 am

Velociraptor wrote:
While I'm certain the vast majority of people can safely ignore this warning, I'm also sure that there are at least some GL players who could fall into the same hole I have, and I think it's worth letting people know it exists. I think it's fairly apparent that I'm only suggesting people who don't have their real name on their profile consider it.

It's a good warning, thank you. I have passed it on to my legion for others to consider (I use my personal FB account for GL, with my real name, so it does not apply to me).

Ultimately each person has to make their own choice, and it's good to have this kind of information available to consider when making it.

Subspace Delta. Where the cookies are.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:57 am

PLURVIOUS wrote:
I think there's something else wrong here. If Facebook is doing this to people who don't use their real name or who use more than one account*, half of GL would be in the same boat.

* I'm talking about more than 1 FB account, not a multi playing GL (Dan has been weeding those out).

If you're meaning I've done something to bring me to their attention, I can't think of anything. My FB account only has GL friends and groups, and GL chats. As far as I'm aware nobody would have any reason to, or would be able to find anything to report as offensive.

I can't tell if someone has reported me to facebook for not using my real name, or if it's an automatic process they have to trawl through their membership. I don't think I'm likely to find out either.

So because I can't tell what causes this, I can't suggest how to avoid it.

Another idea is that people could wait a few days before going full on and changing their FB name to their real name. Perhaps that's all that will happen to me - Facebook will set my name to the name on my passport and that's the end of it. In that case there's no real need to use your real name on FB until forced.

Another option is to use nearly your full name. You can use a shortened version of your first name, you could 'accidentally' spell your surname incorrectly. This would hopefully not close the door to showing government ID to unlock your account, but it would also protect your privacy and mean people couldn't find anything out about you or link your online presences.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:16 am

My FB account isn't my real name. I've learned how to avoid the security measures by adding friends (trading partners), posting on groups (trade groups), and PMing people through FB (about trades and trade confirmations).

Haven't had any security problem ever.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

I do all of those playret0195x and now I'm locked out with seemingly no way to unlock it.

Edit : And of course right up to the point when I was locked out I had no issues.
You might as well say you've learned to be immortal because you've not died yet.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Velociraptor wrote:
I do all of those playret0195x and now I'm locked out with seemingly no way to unlock it.

Edit : And of course right up to the point when I was locked out I had no issues.
You might as well say you've learned to be immortal because you've not died yet.

I also log into FB from various IPs. IDK if that might help.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next