View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 TheBandit's new ship log...Useful for comparisons; Rank 684 

My new mega ship build! Space preserving has gone out the window, so I only add decks when I need to. All stats are buffed (just the usual buffs), because I normally run a buffed ship for PvP. I mean, who wouldn't? But here it is...

IGN: Liquid
Konqul Fixer

Atk: 19,559
Def: 18,666
Scan: 6,125
Cloak: 6,971
Hull: 61,384
Shield: 24,248

Allies:
Ravyn (Rank 2)
Bainar (Rank 28)
Apparitious (Rank 3)
Sehrin (Rank 100)
Thraccti (Rank 100)
Cuninculus (Rank 87)

Artifact: 18,561 p/h with a lot of planet slots missing

Personal Achievements for me:
Running 30k NPC attack
Gemini Cannons x2 with over half way to the third, and 3 Auto Blasters, over halfway to the 2nd Tri-Blaster.
LM weapons and items such as Vorean Bio-Ray, Sniper Drone, Chronosatic Pulser, Xathe Containment, Nanite Re-Assembler and TO Heliofield.

This post is to help people compare their ship if they need to. [Edit: I did spend approximately 6 months away from the game, my ship went inactive and it was at about Rank 500.]

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41172&p=418403#p418403 <---Ship log

Last edited by TheBandit on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Im an SSB

Can Auto-rank on NPCing. Means I can keep killing NPCs as long as I like, so I guess it is a good sign.

In answer yes you can be an SSB and a good NPCer

Seems like you know where you are going ship wise. What are your productions at?

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Alumni of the Crimson Lances and Lords of Infinity

Rank 971, Strict SSB,Possibly the jazziest ship in the universe

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:20 pm

159 m/h

255 a/h

757 r/h

I'm in an Artifact base, and with my planets, if I change them to Artifact, I only gain 40 extra arti but lose 400+ research. Mainly do one NPC run a day, levels me up (2 if i get a cube or Tri-matrix). No relays yet, they are next on my list, hence the increased research. I'm on +3s for planetary but moving to +4s after I get a decent relay.

Quite low really, but my planets are mediocre for sure, just don't care about losing them as i level up too fast in my opinion, especially for a SSB.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:26 pm

at a low rank ... i find npc'ing to be problematic as you are limited to 2 slots so if you want more npc's ... you have to kill them all ... even the undesirable ones. also ... if you get an elite ... you have to wait on your legion to drop them.

once you have 4 or 6 slots, npc'ing becomes more of a reasonable proposition. i think the best time to start focusing on npc's is around rank 130 when you get access to more of the alertable npc's that can be farmed for ctp.

so that is why i focused on pvp at low ranks ... but not kills, just raiding and hacking. you still have the 10 pvp slots open ... plus your battle log, so it is a lot easier to find targets and much more xp.efficient (i.e. you will rank slower). this also plays to the advantage of the SSB as you are better able to fend off any retaliation.

if you are conscious of ranking speed at all, you will ALWAYS be ranking up too fast ... i have tried to 'freeze' multiple times to build up ship strength at a particular rank ... and only succeeded during my first year of play. since then, my days per rank have steadily dropped ... and dropped ... and dropped.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

You have adopted a similar style to my friend, he gave me the same advice. But what should I do to my ship to make it better, but keeping a SSB? I am into NPCing now, so i'm off the PvP altogether (PvP'd before reset, strong ship Insane rank but it wasn't fun)

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 pm

TheBandit wrote:
You have adopted a similar style to my friend, he gave me the same advice. But what should I do to my ship to make it better, but keeping a SSB? I am into NPCing now, so i'm off the PvP altogether (PvP'd before reset, strong ship Insane rank but it wasn't fun)

yeah if you did not find PvP any fun ... going SSB seems a bit of an oxbow (see the link tto my SSB strategy guide below). however, you can still aim for damage cap efficiency ... you just don't need to maintain it with every rank until you are much higher ranked.

if you like to npc ... do the missions that will unlock more slots ... zolazin and lazuli. also get the tactical remodulation ability and the 3 surge plexus. spread some rank points into engineers so that you can auto.rank on npc's at will.

senatorhung's analysis: ship log showdown !; SSB strategy; leader in: Ancient Untouchables

_____________Image

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I put 3 rank points into engineers at 1 level, so i get an extra hit. Then 2 the next level, so it completes it. Im aiming for all 3 surge plexus, but slowly just putting modues on...Atk first, Hull, Energy, then when i hit nulls or heavy Antiprotons, start with another weapon. And so on and so forth...cloak will only be needed for missions, so will scan (NPC scan i can achieve with Artis). That is how my build is working at the moment, like a weird system. And yes, it is weird as a build but i honestly believe it will work. I have a legion mate who reached 480 in 3 months, Drannik, LSB or bigger i think. Yet i believe at his level, working out the math, i could be very much like him, just have a lower cap and potentially more energy. But I honestly dont know, i thank you for the advice and links though

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Interesting post.... I recently left the SSB (after sticking to it strictly for the first 6 months I played) because I felt doing so would benefit more with NPC'ing so I'll give my 2 cents on the matter and my decision to do so.

Keep in mind I am a new player with less than a year in the game under my belt... there are some great minds who post here (I'm not
one of them) and I'm sure some of them will stop by with their input as well.

The key to effective NPC'ing from what I have gathered so far is attack and energy. The higher your attack, the fewer hits you need to wade through the crappy NPC ships that are out there so that you can find the good ones / elites. Energy helps you cycle through more NPC ships at a given sitting and again... the higher your attack the faster you can kill them and with less energy spent. The problem with the SSB is the lack of space to outfit weapons modules that will let you do more damage to NPC's and to some degree, perhaps, the lack of space to devote to energy mods when you are not online. The damage cap benefit of the SSB doesn't really play in here... they aren't attacking you back and you can repair or have repair nanos ready to go on a separate tab. Who cares how much damage you're taking while NPC'ing? They aren't going to disable you.

At your level.... 60's from what I can gather... I have doubts about how viable an expenditure of your energy is at that level hunting NPC's. I just don't think the payout (terraformers, NPC loot, elites, etc) is going to come fast enough to make it a worthwhile endeavor. With your high attack and dedicated build I think you'd be far better off collecting reds and yellows for scanning bases and building badge items like DOM cannons, Proteans, feeding allies you'll get along the way, etc.

NPC'ing, as a focus of your game play, in my opinion isn't really worth it until you hit at least level 300 (or more) or until you can bring a minimum of 7-8K attack to the battle. It's just too much energy used for minimal gain until you can kill most of your NPC's with just a few hits. That's going to be hard to do if you're an SSB unless you rank fast... the problem there..is nearly all of them don't.

It's great you have a development plan.. your A/E allocation looks solid too... my advice is to focus on PvP with your high attack.. collect badges for the future... do missions... and focus on NPC'ing when your ship is stronger and you'll use less energy while reaping greater gains.

Cheers mate

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:01 am

Solid advice from Arclight I reckon, especially regarding when NPCing is more effective.

For sure hit any great stuff that comes along, but NPCing becomes heaps more fun after Rank 250, and increasingly so after that as you get rid of "filler".
Later on the NPCs will barely scratch you shields as you autorank an entire level, so no great advantage to SSB in terms of damage.

Good luck with everything!

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:08 am

Excellent advice with everything, thank you. I will think on it and make changes where necessary :) your help is appreciated

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:55 am

You got to work on your attack power with tactical officers to prepare yourself for easy Npcing.

Make sure you have an adequate amount of energy from engineers for later use when your ship strength is just right.

Some npcs can hit really hard though, so see if you can get your velox thrusters by either slow ranking or enhancing your artifact production or both.

Perhaps upping your defense with helmsmen droids(not from ranking) first is a better idea before getting those velox thrusters. It is just to have a bigger boost when you get them.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:22 am

A lot of the reason i am doing a SSB is to avoid needing to put on massive defences by limiting Damage Cap, it normally stays around a 15-20 minimum hits to kill mark

Only when I am happy with lots of attack, hull and energy, will i begin to put on more defences. very much a late game thing.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:59 am

Ludis brings up a good point in that you should be mindful of defense.

Right now it's not an issue for you and for maybe the next 150+ lvls or more.. you can probably get away with essentially being a pure gunship. Tons of attack, as much hull as you can pack in, and zero defense. If you get your combat rep up to insane... keep solid pvp stats, run a krio / omnicrom combo ,and throw in a dark pyramid, most people are going to stay away from you. Your lack of defense will catch up with you eventually, however, and it can bite you in the butt.

Before I started paying attention to defense, my ship generally fluctuated between 90-130 max damage hits to disable with absolutely zero defensive mods installed. That's pretty good... people had to really earn their kills. However, once I got to a place where everyone had 1000-2000 energy or more... big ships / long time players with lots of attack who could cap me every hit didn't have as much of a problem taking me down. Sure, they spent more energy on me than on someone 'easier' but the advantage of the SSB damage cap was compromised by my lack of defense and the fact that those 100 hits to kill me was only 500 energy for ships that now had thousands. What I'm saying is if you ignore defense as an SSB you'll get to a place where people will cap you every hit and they'll have the energy to take it all the way... no problem.

Ideally you'd improve your defense with a strong and growing base of helmsmen while outfitting well chosen % based defensive mods.... auto evasion node, trinity drives (if you're a $ player), velox thrusters etc. This will keep your ship competitive while giving you more decks for attack and hull. To do this in any kind of meaningful fashion you are going to need to get your research and APH up significantly. As you level there are some NPC elites / bosses that will absolutely rip you if you have low defense. You'll be forced to burn through repair nanos at a fast rate... or keep a constant eye on your repair timer while spending long, boring, minutes waiting to fix your ship so the NPC can tear it up all over again. If you pay attention to defense now, it can save you from having to overhaul your ship later in the game where you realize you are behind the curve. Just food for thought.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:52 pm

Arc Light wrote:
or keep a constant eye on your repair timer while spending long, boring, minutes waiting to fix your ship so the NPC can tear it up all over again.

I honestly dont care about the repair timer, it gives me something to do whilst in waiting, talk to other people whilst having a purpose instead of just floating around.

Defense is going to be the trickiest part, but I want to avoid PvPing (I may ice fish for an armoury or 2 later). This isnt about combat rep either, mainly laying into the NPCs at hand and staying 1 or 2 steps in front of them. keeping my minimum No of hits to disable fairly high would be good too.

What defensive modules would you recommend once i get to the Drannik part? Based on ship size, etc. (Aiming for Nulls and Deep Core or Ferms for plating)

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 am

Ludis and Arc Light bring up an excellent point again in relation to not being able to solely rely on damage cap over defense as you progress.

I would suggest only going for the NPC drops for defense if you plan on staying small.
They generally provide much better bang for your buck deck-wise, right up until the very final researched and later upgraded defense tiers.

To be honest, no matter what size your ship, if you only go for the most efficient mods you won't go too far wrong.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:58 am

Wow...you really are serious about being an NPC'er. :P Very cool. There's lots of ways to play the game and it seems like you've found a path you like. Go with it. Most of that stuff I said about the SSB in terms of defense, combat rep, etc is based on so many SSB's being PvP oriented. The strength of the SSB is it's a player killer design... it's why most people go for the build. It's why I chose it. So... that not being a big priority for you.. honestly I'd say keep doing what you've been doing. Load up on attack and energy and RANK. If you want to kill as many NPC's as possible in the shortest amount of time... that's how you'd do it. As an NPC'er you would want to open up more NPC slots over time by doing the missions chains... so add that to your priority list as you get the energy to finish those missions.

You are going to have to be patient for a while because it really does take a few hundred levels to start getting meaningful loot drops from NPC'ing. You can cut this wait by ranking. In terms of what to research, everyone has their own opinions. My advice to you would be acquiring the best research planets you can find and going after planetary structures first. Your planets will determine your strength so develop them first. Also, you are going to get competitive weapons, armor, and boosts from NPC'ing. A lot of those loot drops offer a better deck to performance ratio than researched items... especially early on. So...I'd shoot for researching +12 planet structures to get your APH, RPH, and MPH up. Better structures on your planets means more research for hull, getting into the Complex Theory Lab faster, researched cloak for your planets, etc. Good planet structures means means a greater APH which means more rescued prisoners, helmsmen, and durtanium brackets... you need all of the artis you can get but those three are your bread and butter for building a strong ship.

At this point I would point you to a higher power...

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend you read Jeff's (IGN Taylor Swift, officer in EOTS) 'SOES' series on this forum.
In his series... NPC'ing... and many other aspects of the game are demystified and put into workable terms you can use. If you'd like to maximize your time and minimize mistakes it's worth your time to read his insights.

Also.... listen to what Deigobene has to say and don't be afraid to reach out or PM him as a resource.... he's got a great primer on SSB construction and is phenomenal ambassador on this board. I met him 500 levels ago... when I was darn near close to quitting and frustrated with the game. Here I am now offering a hand to you based on what I've learned in the game... and if it weren't for players like him helping me... I would not be here now.

Taylor Swift's series...

Part 1 :

viewtopic.php?t=40154

Part 2 :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40206

Part 3:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40861

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:19 am

Thank you for this, Arc Light. Not everyone grasps that most SSB are for PvP, but i'm determined to make this work for NPCing too. Constructive criticism is always welcome, and I would prefer it over the conventional 'NPCing doesnt work for a SSB'. The links provided should be a vital asset, i wouldnt really know where to look otherwise. Thank you for all the input so far, everyone has been really helpful

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:06 am

Arc Light wrote:
Load up on attack and energy and RANK. If you want to kill as many NPC's as possible in the shortest amount of time... that's how you'd do it. As an NPC'er you would want to open up more NPC slots over time by doing the missions chains... so add that to your priority list as you get the energy to finish those missions.

You are going to have to be patient for a while because it really does take a few hundred levels to start getting meaningful loot drops from NPC'ing. You can cut this wait by ranking.

have to disagree with the ranking suggestion. you want to get as many 'nice' npc's before rank 600. wasting xp on garbage npc's just to rank up is problematic. the only xp i would burn would be on the mission chains that i already suggested to get the extra npc slots, as well as tactical remodulation. for npc'ing, there is less of a benefit to freeze.ranking compared to pvp, but ranking too quickly will just put you up against tougher matched rank npc's unnecessarily.

if you want a SSB, ranking slower provides way more benefit than ranking faster as it gives you time to build up your androids and prisoners AS LONG AS YOUR ARTI PRODUCTION is high enough. as long as you gain strength faster than the npc's are increasing in strength with each rankup, then you are doing great. ranking any faster as a SSB just gives you more deck space to play with for mods ... most of which can be supplanted by arti production, save for scan mods, which you only need for the Larvae (r225) or Caelon (r300) hunts.

_____________Image

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:27 am
Profile WWW

Arc Light, Senatorhung and Deigobene make great points about being an Npcing ship, so be wary of heavy attackers dealing max damage to you while npcing.

Ship Strength:

I would not recommend going too fast with killing npcs if your natural defenses are not sufficient enough for future enemies.

Sooner or later npcs will most definitely deal max damage to you like the ones in legion missions with little defenses.

Best to prepare yourself early on before you suffer from constant disabling/annoyances when pvpers and artifact bombers are trying to disable you while npcing.

Put on what is necessary for your ship, but never let any part of your ship's crew of all types lag behind as you rank.

Artifact Production:

In your case, the best thing to do is to get as much hull as much as you can with high artifact productions, so you can take more hits.

Perhaps you don't have to freeze rank if you're able to gather enough artifact production per hour before continuing your ranking.

However, you can most definitely do a lot of npcing if your artifact production is up extremely efficient at perhaps 50x your rank.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:35 am

Very interesting idea.

Just a comment about defense - the great thing about SSB is that, in terms of defense, it's perfectly fine to rank quickly. From a PvP perspective, every time you gain a rank, you'll be visible to higher and higher ranked players. However, by staying SSB, the amount of damage they can deal to you will be approximately the same (+1 damage per rank) even if your defenses are practically nonexistent.... unless you do, say, 10+ ranks a day as a lower rank, 100+ as a mid-rank. This is in contrast to large ship builds, where if you rank too quickly and your defenses are insufficient, you'll be taking more than +1 damage per rank.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next