View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Best professions? 

Hey guys I really got good responses earlier when I asked about races so now I would like to ask about the professions. Which professions are the best and what are that advantages of each (including small bonuses like astrobiology wards for biologists)?

Here's my take so far
The Bad.
Merchant: worthless
Builder: A crutch that should not be used
Biologist: Not very good but has a few special perks
Hacker: Spy is better (used for 'hacker vs. hacker' and a few lms)
Physicist: Not as good as fixer
Saboteur: Semi usable in packs but ultimately limited and unfavorable later on (especially since only one race can use it)
Spy: Cloak does not seem that good to me (anybody have a different view I would love to be wrong)
Guard: Umm... I would rather be a Aerlen/Xecti/Lazuli fixer
Miner: Not as good as excavator

The Good,
Fixer: Solid bonus to health
Raider: Join a good base fighting legion (may not be as good when you start to take top spots)
Explorer: MAX SCAN!!!
Governor: Planet effects (not really sure how good in practice and only 3 races)
Excavator: The profession of the GL gods (my question might as well read "is any profession arguably as good as excavator?"

Specific questions
For the two best starting races (Konqul/Aerlen) is fixer or excavator better starting out? If fixer is initially better when does the scale tip for excavator?
Finally (like I said) does any profession truly rival excavator as the best profession at high levels?

Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:32 am

If the amount of AP you gain per day being Excavator is greater than the amount of AP you lose from the base payout when your base is disabled, then Excavator beats Fixer. Until then, helping protect your legion's base helps protect one of your major sources of AP.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 am

Human merchant...do it....

Benefits:

* Others will leave you colorful comms.
* Hunted for medals..everyone needs to kill a merchant--you so popular!
* Be a vanguard in the fight to show human is a viable choice.
* Find the hidden mission chain for ships that suck.
* Slow ranking won't matter for you...go for broke on leveling up
* All those great deals on 'trades'
* Respect from the other 2 members of your startup legion

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Quote:
Human merchant...do it....

Benefits:

* Others will leave you colorful comms.
* Hunted for medals..everyone needs to kill a merchant--you so popular!
* Be a vanguard in the fight to show human is a viable choice.
* Find the hidden mission chain for ships that suck.
* Slow ranking won't matter for you...go for broke on leveling up
* All those great deals on 'trades'
* Respect from the other 2 members of your startup legion

This rules

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:51 pm

thank you for your wisdom it makes perfect sense to become a human merchant why did I not think of it earlier :D . In all seriousness I would contend that a Sillixx builder is possibly a worse combo because after a certain point the logistics of changing would be awful.

So ICBLF what you're saying is that on an average 80k arti base one would need to be making 400k ([80,000/2]*10] arti points per day(16667 per hour) in order for excavator to be better?

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:26 am

i think the shame is, obviously all the professions were meant to provide a 'good' advantage in some way, same with the races. Over time it became obvious to even new players that about half are total throw aways other than usage for medals. About 30% of whats left is questionable at best, and usable mainly under certain circumstances.

I give you a perfect example. Look at the top players list. It's not a mystery what the most popular arrangements are. Take any of the top 3 of races and professions and you're prolly sound almost irregardless of everything else. Granted game play and bad choices will make you better or worse than the next guy also using those same choices....but it's like being a 6'6" basketball player versus a 5'5". The obvious advantages stare you in the face.

My two cents, be a konqul or aerlean fixer while you are small. Collect your medals and modules and sort out which chains you want ot do and in what order. There are threads galore on this. Later, and for free, you can change into the unlocked race(s) which will ultimate cultivate your strength and planet base.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:01 am

The math I had done as regards that was along the lines of if 80,000 / 24 >= APH * .1 then Fixer else excavator.

Though to be sure yours does make for a lower switch over point. The idea behind my point is specifically that the idea of being fixers is to prevent the base from getting disabled by dissuading potential attackers. In the event that ones 'fixerness' is fully successful in accomplishing such then the level at which personal interest leads excavator to be a best personal interest decision is when the 10% excavator bonus acquires you more in a day than the bases maximum output is capable of. For the above numbers that point is roughly 33k For a base producing 120k shipments, with my equation, the switch over point would be 50k aph.

B = 80,000

For an altered version of his equation that looks less confusing than the one you used Tirrk I would go with B / 48 >= APH * .1

The opposite side of my equation would be if 24 * APH *.1 >= B then Excavator else fixer.

To be fully accurate the switchover point could very well be If 24 * APH * .1 >= (B+.5B+.6B+.7B+.8B+.9B)/6.

The break even point for that equation would be 25k APH. This takes into account the Bases shipment and it's shipment along subsequent days post disable.

The Prisoner wrote:
You know something's wrong when the Trade Outpost sub-forum has the most interesting topics

Well it was an ill considered idea in the first place.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 am

Your math fails. Even if a base producing ~80k per day with full bonuses gets disabled, it's still producing ~40k the next day. It's not like you get 0 AP when your base gets disabled. Therefore, your "threshold" value would be halved.

IMO, staying Fixer to maintain the Defender Bonus on your base is ludicrous. If your base gets locked and disabled frequently, being a Fixer apparently isn't doing any good, so why lose out on the Excavator bonus? If you stay fixer "just in case" your rarely locked base gets locked, you're being just as (if not more) stupid. Your base needs to be producing at least 97,500 per person for you to even worry about it. Anything less than that and you have a lower chance of drawing even 1 of each shipbuilding artifact from those points.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02 am
Profile WWW

you are forgetting one thing
base not beeing disabled = a 100% production bonus (10% pr day up to 100%)

as most bases make betwen 50K and 100K AP's pr day, depending on level, Trade Route bouns, Chuhn Trade Comm bonus etc
the bonus you are trying to protect by beeing Fixer is "only" 25K to 50K AP's pr day

so the point where you get more from beeing excavator, then trying to defend the bonus production is somewere around

(25K / 24) / 0.1 = 10.500 AP's pr hour for a level 5 base (50K AP's pr day)
and
(50K/24) / 0.1 = 20.833 AP's pr hour for a level 8 base (100K ap's pr day)

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:04 am

Or....the easy rule of thumb could be, if you're base gets killed more than once a week.

Another easy rule of thumb is when your hourly income is at least half or more of what the base is providing daily.

Even a third idea is when being excavator would net you 6k more per hour (1 rp possible).

For the non math intuitives out there this might be easier. The intangible value of base pulls remaining high due to not being disabled/locked because of fixer counts is hard to say. That would be an interesting , if difficult or anecdotal, study to be made. I would tend to guess there is a pseudo science philosophy on how many fixers= hell no don't lock that base.

For most legions i'd guess that number is double digits---again could vary widely.

So, all the calculations in the world can only give you suggestions.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Well everyone got their opinions which is great..

In my opinion you guys should ask CN legion which is best Fixer or Excavator.. seems like their many Leaders/officers have that one figured out for a very long time now :D

- Forum topics are not the proper place to bring up inter-legion conflicts.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:58 pm

I agree that being fixer in order to try and protect base production may be a bit dubious. There is no guarantee that being fixer will actually work to save your base.

As far as what the best profession is it sadly seems that excavator is truly unrivaled (as I had suspected). Our discussion of low level fixers proves that by the fact that we only discussed fixer in terms of protecting arti points and not the benefits of the bonus itself. At the end of the day the most important thing in this game is arti production and under very few circumstances does any thing beat a 10% ap boost.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:07 pm

if you ever hit the point you fill your entire arti cap in 1 hour without excavator fixer is better. :P

or if you have almost no arti anyways.

any where not at extremes for production excavator is the best.

ICBLF wrote:
to be honest, I was rooting for you even while eating KVTs

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Being Fixer for the hull bonus is almost as silly, in my opinion. An extra, what, 2 or 3 shots to get disabled at low-ish ranks? Meanwhile, that Excavator is growing stronger, sturdier, faster. Lazuli Fixer is somewhat better, at least until you change. Then you take a monstrous hit to your combat durability.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:00 pm
Profile WWW

Location: Where are the QSES? AMIRITE??? AMIRITE???Who is "the fly"?!How long can you make this?
I agree with darth F, excavator from day 1 is where it's at

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:55 pm

I didn't play that way, but i think fixer from low rank is the way till you build arti. Since RP is a 6k pull, low ap ships have no good reason to be excavator. You simply won't have much odds on getting RP's and the rest of the arti's really pale in the long run. Sure brackets, helms and xcells are good, but again, how much more benefit.

Most SSB i;ve seen live and die by having more hull. And 30% to a 300 hull ship is 90...with a 15 dam cap is 6 more hits = 30 more energy. More hits to kill = more likely to get passed up for killing. Meanwhile most arti's you pull with your measely 10% aren't even worth the pull.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:30 am

Just a quick note that being a fixer at low levels also means we don't have to temporarily switch to fixer to get the better biomemetic sealers (mainly a tip for people who don't want to use gps to buy race changes too often).

Oh and just a quick correction: Rescued prisoners are a 4K ap pull (can confirm as I often receive shipments at 4000 and get rps.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:03 am

Rambojr wrote:

In my opinion you guys should ask CN legion which is best Fixer or Excavator.. seems like their many Leaders/officers have that one figured out for a very long time now :D

Who's base was the last one to be disabled ever?

Just imagine what that base would be like if you had more fixers.

But you guys are on enough to collect go for Excavator.

My current race can only be : Builder, Fixer, Governor, Miner, Raider, Spy

Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:02 pm

Chakotay wrote:
Rambojr wrote:

Who's base was the last one to be disabled ever?

Just imagine what that base would be like if you had more fixers.

But you guys are on enough to collect go for Excavator.

My current race can only be : Builder, Fixer, Governor, Miner, Raider, Spy

Really u still need an explanation on the base disables and excavator race?

I mean for how long does CN members been Aerlen Fixers and their ships show it clearly on ppls bt.. Keep doing what you doing and you ppl one day will get on the right track .. CN has a strong heart I have faith in them :P

Edit:

If this topic its not an eye opener for you CN ppl not sure what else will do it..

- Forum topics are not the proper place to bring up inter-legion conflicts.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:57 pm

I am sorry that CN using Fixer drives you crazy. Again.. I repeat. Let me know when Xecti can be a excavator.

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next