View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Our game and a suggestion to help revilize it 

Ok, Gl is far from its glory days of being the fastest growing most interactive game on facebook, our user base has shrunk ALOT and these days the "new guys" are 3 year vets..... This is my suggestion to try and get the game flowing again.

A Game wide reset, with fixes to bugs but compensation for long time players.

the fixes as follows

a) a use all button (or at very least allow us to use as many as we can scrap with the number thing, No matter how much we can accept it new blood simply will not)
b) rejiging the research costs so that some chains (buildings/bases ) cost alot more then others also adding more research options/teirs, Allow research to be used to make EM
c) Change the damage formula to be rank only.
d) Advertise the game ALOT
e) Re balance NPC rareity/drops. Example Upping rarity on the mining research drop npcs to Very rare,
f) Jack Exotica stats up to x32's across the board or some other high value where it might be useful to use it as a production planet instead of pure populaion.
g) Remove all 3 of the "planet boosters" races from the game entirely.

The compensation I suggest is as follows

You Veteran level and any award you received because of it.
Keep your Rifts/dyson/exotic if received from the mission, You don't keep the planet but will get to keep item to turn a planet in to it. You do NOT get to do the missions again however.
A small CTP/EM amount (likely 10KCTP 100KEM ish)
6 reality transfuses.
10 MSP and Shipbots so that we can equip/carry all that crap.
Keep any GP ally/mod you have
Your legion (but reduced to level 1) However you CAN keep all GP mods on it.

Will this hurt us YES it will, but it might give the game a chance to flourish again. This will still give veteran players a head start foot in the door, However the advantage would not be insurmountable.

Tue May 02, 2017 2:01 pm

-1 million

a game wide reset after 7 years ? instant game.death.

"revilize" indeed ...

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Last edited by senatorhung on Tue May 02, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 02, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile WWW

Agreed. I would quit if there was a wipe/reset.

Tue May 02, 2017 4:34 pm

-infinity
Resetting the game won't help as it will anger alot of players and make them quit, quite alot of players are still here as it took them awhile to get there which will make them quit if they lose it. Maybe a second fresh server could be nice but it would draw people away from the main server making it more likely to die off from lack of new players. Also making it harder to get nice planets will irritate a lot of people making them even more likely to leave as well as giving older players an even larger advantage as they had all that time to get NPC drops while newer players get less NPC drops forever. Dan hasn't put in a "use quantity" setting yet so I really doubt he will, I think it's to prevent exploits from lag. Besides the quantity suggestion the only thing that wouldn't harm GL is advertising which could help but would cost Dan money with a risk of not getting it back.

Tue May 02, 2017 7:11 pm

Less lag while scanning so that it doesn't take over 1.5 hours to scan 1.3k planets.
Better planets so that the best i get isn't a VL 3x terra from those 1.3k planets.
Daily tasks that need to be performed to keep players, especially new ones coming back.
New high ranked npcs that drop items that are actually worth more than 6-10 ctp when scrapped.
High ranked elite/boss NPCs that aren't frigging annoying to kill because of their abilities.

Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 pm

If by revitalize the game, you mean kill it, then yeah. A game reset is in order. Just pull the plug, make all the money everyone has put into storage, reality transfusers and quasis worthless. Make years and years of gathering CTP for base leveling worthless, even though some legions are still currently trying their best to get level 10 bases. Oh.... never mind, its not completely worthless. Us game veterans get a whole 10k ctp and some EM. Wonderful solution!

Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 pm

XxMercasterxX wrote:
Less lag while scanning so that it doesn't take over 1.5 hours to scan 1.3k planets.

Not refreshing the scanned planets list beneath the popup after every successful scan would probably fix that problem. Just treat it like NPCs; you need to hit the "X" in the corner of the scan dialog, or click on the "Planets" tab, in order to refresh your list of planets, and you likely would solve most of the lag problems while scanning. It'd be a bit of a pain for legion missions on using an arti on a planet scanned in the last 5 minutes, but I'd sure as hell take it.

Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Certainly making some high level npcs less annoying would help. Getting more than a couple decent planets per scanning run would certainly help a lot as well. Lots of the crap planets need to be deleted or a way to destroy crap planets. Tutorial improvements would help keep new players, I have seen plenty of new players confused in chat over how to do things and confused players have a higher chance of quitting. Maybe have a change so new players get a couple decent planets to start off with after completing the tutorial as well. The major problem that has been causing the decay though is lack of new features and mainly change. The game had a very vibrant community during the first 3 years or so because there was constant improvements and new features. The largest changes put into the game after legion missions have been simply new mission chains with some having a special market at the end. New mission chains were simply not enough for alot of people so they left. The only way to get GL back to it's former glory is to put in several new features. There is a problem with this though, after a point you can't make a completely new feature as it will be similar to something else and not be interesting enough, and if you do find something completely new it's often takes a great deal of effort to make it.

Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm not sure there is much Dan can do to revitalize the game. It's impossible to keep new players when the majority of ships on their battle are reset ships and they have absolutely no chance of defending themselves or even putting up a fight. As for the current playerbase, we could definitely use an update that allows the user to specify how many artifacts they want to use at any one time. Get rid of limits in the GTC. Create a few more lab discoveries, one of which being a planet destroyer (uses purgers, spy probe governors, and flux probe tracers) that will remove the planet from the database. Every quarter dump a number of planets into the database (5% dyson). Make missions in the same aspect as the Oruas but from a pvp perspective (i.e. if the mission has been started andyou haven't earned a red badge before a set time, then xyz detriment applied to ship) Create more legion missions that are introduced once a year. Maybe making a GP item during one of the seasonals that will allow for the removal of an active mission from that legion's database of possible missions. Can make it like all the other GP seasonal items...each subsequent year, the upgrade costs more. Put limits as to how much any one single person can add to a base via energy, EM, CTP. Building a base should be a legionwide effort.

Wed May 03, 2017 1:15 am

Change the damage cap! OR Introduce an arti that will allow you to "nuke" and opponent.

Delete inactive bases.

Reduce clicks.

Wed May 03, 2017 12:43 pm

SpaceThug wrote:
Change the damage cap! OR Introduce an arti that will allow you to "nuke" and opponent.

Delete inactive bases.

Reduce clicks.

The damage cap is not a issue. Dans allready essentialy upped the meta to 2001 and there are arguements for people who dont care about pvp to go to 10000 damage cap for the scan buff. The issue with pvp is the why not the how. Why pvp? You need 3 yellows ever 16 hous, your entire legion needs a handfull of reds per day to keep the basing coming, hacking isn't a issue to do. Make pvp more rewarding rather than easier. Make jam attuners that give non badge rewards eg structures, temp buff artis ect randomly when getting kills and raids.

As for the reset idea no. What your essentialy doing is telling everyone in a game about building up a ship and network of planets that all they have built up is going down. You might have a single digit percent who keep playing but most wont, then you have to advertise the game to get players while getting close to no gp revenue. Better to just advertise the game as is.

As for my suggestion to improve the game, its still this
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42189

Stark Tech Inside

Wed May 03, 2017 2:03 pm

I would argue the damage cap. Simple put I know their have been new players that were unhappy with the fact that they were effectily punished for putting their mods on their ship. I get that its a building up game but if you can't get new blood then your game stagnates. Yes some people play with large ships but the fact that most low rank area are FILLED with SSB slow burn builds is NOT new player friendly. GL is basically a backwards game where ranking is bad and putting the big fancy gun on your ship is worse. In most others games ranking is always a "good" thing and you better bet your bottom dollar that having more equipment means you use it. This is the attiude that most new players will walk in to the game with. Yes if they read the wiki or check the board they will know GL is different, Players like US are a testiment to that, however most NEW players will simply not do that and with these difficultys combine with what basicly amounts to unkillable sharks in ever corner makes them leave the game.

Wed May 03, 2017 4:57 pm

If there was a reset, I would quit.

Here's a list of what I would like to see happen:
- Create more NPCs for people above rank 2000+ or cap everyone's rank and up the visibility on some of those NPCs to match said cap.
- To add to my point above, after rank 2000, you lose out on many of the nice NPCs with good CTP scrap drops. The problem is, GL keeps adding more things that require CTP to upgrade them. This needs to be addressed IMO.
- Separate the NPC and PVP battle tabs so there is no need to scroll or hit an arrow. You can fit 10 npcs and 10 pvp targets on one page each.
- A Use All or Use X amount button. Also, a Buy All or Buy X amount button (CTL and badge items, for example).
- Fix the pop up windows. This includes using artifacts and abilities, buying badge items, the CTL, etc. It's an annoyance and a chore to have to scroll every time after clicking something. Not to mention the order changes sometimes. Once again, here's where a Use All, or in this case a Buy All or X Amount, option would solve the problem for a few of these.
- Revamp PVP. People can pretend otherwise, but the halcs, damage cap, and infinite growth are all problems. They will only continue to get worse as the player base declines and long-term players continue to grow at an uncontrolled rate.
- Reduce clicks.

Wed May 03, 2017 5:34 pm

A quick fix for making PVP easier would be auto fixing inactive players every so often so you get targets that aren't under a calm or halycon effect. It would be easy to tell who isn't as they would likely be in no legion. Having a use quantity option would be great but Dan hasn't added after all these years so I doubt that he would suddenly change his mind.

Wed May 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Kevin9809 wrote:

- Create more NPCs for people above rank 2000+ or cap everyone's rank and up the visibility on some of those NPCs to match said cap.
- To add to my point above, after rank 2000, you lose out on many of the nice NPCs with good CTP scrap drops. The problem is, GL keeps adding more things that require CTP to upgrade them. This needs to be addressed IMO.
- Separate the NPC and PVP battle tabs so there is no need to scroll or hit an arrow. You can fit 10 npcs and 10 pvp targets on one page each.
- A Use All or Use X amount button. Also, a Buy All or Buy X amount button (CTL and badge items, for example).
- Fix the pop up windows. This includes using artifacts and abilities, buying badge items, the CTL, etc. It's an annoyance and a chore to have to scroll every time after clicking something. Not to mention the order changes sometimes. Once again, here's where a Use All, or in this case a Buy All or X Amount, option would solve the problem for a few of these.
- Revamp PVP. People can pretend otherwise, but the halcs, damage cap, and infinite growth are all problems. They will only continue to get worse as the player base declines and long-term players continue to grow at an uncontrolled rate.
- Reduce clicks.

Your still looking at pvp wrong. Your like an architech looking at a bridge and saying 'hmm, its not particularly pretty' completely missing the problem that the bridge has no supports and is about to fall down when opened. Pvp getting harder isn't a issue if people aren't pvping because theres nearly no reason to. Hit that 1k kills, 5k raids and your basicly done with pvping aside from hacking. Pvp needs to be made so that its actualy rewarding.

Stark Tech Inside

Wed May 03, 2017 5:54 pm

Peticks wrote:
Your still looking at pvp wrong. Your like an architech looking at a bridge and saying 'hmm, its not particularly pretty' completely missing the problem that the bridge has no supports and is about to fall down when opened. Pvp getting harder isn't a issue if people aren't pvping because theres nearly no reason to. Hit that 1k kills, 5k raids and your basicly done with pvping aside from hacking. Pvp needs to be made so that its actualy rewarding.

That's why I'd like to see some sort of path forward similar to the way the Oruas Eye chain works. If you want the rewards that the full chain offers then you have to do some amount of pvp or else your ship is subject to xyz detriment.

Just brainstorming ideas but something of the following:
Chain 1 of X: If this mission is available, you must receive ONE red badge within a 20hr time frame or receive a -1% production
Chain 2 of X: TWO red, -2%
Penalty increases up to -25%. Reds increase up to 5.

Wed May 03, 2017 10:57 pm

The reality is, it is an archaic format that was very very popular in 2010. That was probably the height of Mafia Wars which essentially is the same game. Zynga pulled the plug ( Mafia Wars) with probably 100Xs the active players.

This game is out dated, slow, clicky and has no real interaction from the developers or the staff. They probably WANT it to die. People are quitting by the 100s for a reason. While it was a great innovation to make a slow paced game that takes a long time to get through , it has no appeal to newer players that are mostly younger . This game is horrific at lower levels and now is 100Xs worse with the 100s if not 1000s of resets hanging around beating the crap out of noobs with big ships.

It's a dead format and a handful of us are addicted or have built and built a spaceship that's cool in a game that is basically available to 100 billion people worldwide but only garnishes the attention of 3-4000 and another couple of 1000 alts.

Truth is, format is dead/dying and tirelessly boring af. There is no saving it and if you look past the top 10 legions it's pretty scare. 30-70% active legions. Think about it. I bet theres only 15-20 full legions and some of those have 5-10 Alts

I to am addicted to it as well but its like being stuck on CD technology or flip phones...or The Sopranos. Its over and not even the owners want to save it.

Wed May 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Peticks wrote:
Kevin9809 wrote:

- Reduce clicks.

We're both right. There are many active players in this game who avoid PVP and/or do not have the raids medal due to the issues I pointed out. I was one of them. When I passed rank 2000 and lost most of the good CTP NPCs, I've slowly been working my way towards the raids medal. However, it is a chore due to the reasons I pointed out. At the same time, I agree with you. At a certain point, PVP is no longer rewarding. Hacking was in the same boat, but the addition of the passive ability to grab extra badges of other types was a game changer.

Thu May 04, 2017 1:17 pm

game is in the final blue dwarf stages....it will spiral a little faster each month...by the end the few remaining will spank each other in a collapsing dgaf situation before it implodes and becomes a novelty of memory rather than a thing of disdain and delayed apocalypse...

or..it could simply limp on another 5 years into an idiocracy scenario...will only virtual old timers complaining about the young punk kids and their millenial aptitude about gimme better than a 3x vl terra im level 15 ffs!!!

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Fri May 05, 2017 2:49 am

Keep the old universe
create a new one for veteran players rank 2k+ that want to move to a rebalanced game

make note.
1. ... a one deck shuttlecraft cannot have unlimited hull - so no SSB builds - hull must use ship sizetoo that means brackets too
2. a one deck shuttlecraft cannot have 1 million men or 2M or 1B or more.... so crew must take up deck space as well - like where does one sleep let alone sit
(this will force people to think about what they want engineers,tac, helmsmen force people how to balance ship or force them to grow size to meet needs)

3 add skill training 1-5levels to add to each skill,scan,cloak,tac,eng,helm which add % increase for each level - or even do this as a LM task

4.NPCs more of them and - for cripes sake - a stargiant ship should not take about the same energy as a shuttlecraft to down a NPC - a rebalance is needed here
(even if it requires large XP difference between levels to do it - kill npc easier as you go up - but takes longer to level up killing them)
or better yet as you go up in rank XP on lower rank NPC's goes down too - kill the garbage - and get nothing for it

5. rebalance drop rates on all bosses/elites and LM NPC's - drop rate to low - not everyone is a daily player - either keep record on how many were done on a LM and continue it the next time around or up the drop rates

and with shrinking numbers in gl and less daily players - there is definitely more incentive to make it more for casual players too

6. droprates on troop carriers and quasi should be higher let people build crap - less likely to be mad when everyone can get good production relatively easy - and less likely to steal planets
or any planet enhancer - increase the drop rates or the missions

7. have a internal trade mart where prices for arties can be regulated by DAN - based on supply/demand - not a bid system that is currently there
ie
set avg price at scrap price - if demand is low you get below that if demand(using recent history) goes high you get better than scrap
same with purchasing

8 .ban anyone selling outside the mart - or get rid of trading - but if you do that - build a storage system/trade system on each base for mineral/artis - that are donated by ships in legion to base for others in legion that need said artis/mineral - then there is no waiting for a legionmate to get aid to you if the base is already full of stuff

you want to share post on FB
or trade internally with your base

you know id rather have a regular system - like Elite frontier where a small craft like an single person fighter get creamed with 1 whack by a starship and it would take me billions of hit to down it
in return

basically turn it into a building game rather than in your throat steal everyones planets and harass people game
if everyone can be made happy including new players with more balance play and planet building easier - you would have more people stay

Tue May 09, 2017 1:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next