View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Critical Hits! 

Do critical hits exist? Based on the math and formulas, you get an average range of damage you can do to a target. Yet you also get that stupidly high one that seems weird to hit. Eg hitting 300-500 consistently then hitting 1200 one time, then back to 300-500.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41172&p=418403#p418403 <---Ship log

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Critical hits definitely exist; they are most apparent when you are hitting someone or something for less than half their cap, then suddenly you'll register a hit for 2/3-3/4 of cap.

They really aren't that exciting or interesting past the early part of the game, when ships have small enough hulls so that hits doing double damage actually have a noticeable effect on takedown time. Later in the game, both weak and strong ships are often hit very close to cap due to their low defense (bad artifact production or being spam-killed), which makes the effects of critical hits negligible.

IMO, critical should ignore cap and do a small % of the attacker's total attack strength on top of regular damage (e.g. if it were 2%, somebody with 500k attack would do an additional 10k dam). Now THAT would be interesting.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 pm

crit hits def exist...anyone who has done a lot of pvp will notice them. just what pongo said...it makes very little diff in big picture during an attack.

I once attacked all 10 people in the top ten for like 20 hits each and tracked results to test cap, crits, etc...the crits were b/w 2-5% of hits with an obvious Jump in how much damage versus the 'average' or normalized hit.

For those who have millions of hull and hundreds of thousands of shields..of which there are many..doing the occasssional 2000 versus 1400-1500 a hit isnt a huge bonus.

As prior stated if crits did something akin to a % of total ship hull or hull+shields and occurred a little more depdning on scan/cloak that would be sexier.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 am

juiceman wrote:
As prior stated if crits did something akin to a % of total ship hull or hull+shields and occurred a little more depdning on scan/cloak that would be sexier.

Scan and cloak make a difference in critical hits. Scan increases crit chance (supposedly) and cloak is supposed to decrease it. It says so when you hover over the scan/cloak stat ? when you have no buffs on (passive or active)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41172&p=418403#p418403 <---Ship log

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:17 am

i am skeptical of scan and cloak making a diff...i have for many years run what could be considered a 'fair' amount of cloak..during my attacks on others i can tell when they crit me and the rates were about the same both directions...perhaps just my exp fwiw

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:57 pm

The effect of scan and cloak on attacking imo is negligible. Needs to be examined for improvement

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]