View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Starting up my character 

Hey all.

I saw this game on one of my friends wall on Facebook so I thought I'd have a look, being a sci-fi fan myself. From what I've read, plus the few threads here on the forums, it seems like an interesting game to play. I have a few questions and I'd like to hear some suggestions and feedback if possible.

My first question is this. When I enter the game, I'm presented with a choice of races. I'd like to know which race is ideal. You guys probably hear this question a lot here, but I don't want to screw up my race selection and have to restart my character or spend points to change it later (I've read that the special points don't come easy here in this game unlike in Castle Age).

Humans get 10% bonus to experience.
A race (forgot name) get 20% bonus to max energy.
Another race has 20% bonus to deck / cargo space.

From what I've read, energy is important for leveling up quickly, while deck space is essential for modules, weapons, defenses, etc. on the ship I'll use. The 10% experience gain seems nice because that means I'll level up 10% faster.

Which of those bonuses are the most useful long term? Faster experience to get higher levels faster? More energy to do stuff I need to do? More cargo space to mount more stuff on my ship?

My second question is what I should put my points into as I level up. Same issue- put more points into energy? Or put them into deck / cargo? If I put more points into deck, can I have more power plants in my ship, outweighing the energy points? Or do the points in energy multiply what I get from one power plant? Or are we limited to only one power plant per ship?

Sorry for all these questions. I have yet to create my character, and I want to create a solid one that can be versatile, but not end up taking forever to level / power up. If any of you guys have feedback and suggestions for me, I'm all ears!

I'm looking forward to playing this game.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:42 am

I went with the Vygoid which adds to research. I think if those races are what you prefer, Id go decks, decks are very important and at higher ranks more efficient than crew.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:55 am

I don't think the experience bonus is as good as it sounds. if you have 20% more experience than you should, that means you'll have a few more rank levels than you're supposed to; it's not really some awesomely exponential bonus. You can even get rank points from some artifacts and it won't raise how much XP it takes to level. I guess the same is kind of true for a 20% research bonus, even though that is what I picked. You can uninstall relays to raise your max energy so it takes long enough to refill that you can actually sleep, so I don't think bonus energy is that important either.

If I could start over I would go for the deck bonus. It's sort of clutch. I think the excavator profession is best, since artifacts are consumable but the sillix can't pick that. I'd probably pick 'merchant' for the extra cargo space. It would be well rounded. Fixer and biologist aren't bad either, the rest of the options for sillix seem terrible.

That or a konqul excavator... Invasion monster.

Also I'd go pure decks and cargo if I started over.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:05 am

Okay...

Silicixx = 10% extra decks

Jobs:

Merchant = 20% cargo space
Biologist = 10% Planet Population
Explorer = 10% scanning
Builder = 50% less upkeep
Raider = 20% extra raiding
Fixer = 20% extra hull

I have a few questions about those traits.

I know decks means more space to put in stuff. What does cargo space mean? Whats the difference between cargo and decks?

I read that scanning is important because thats how you get planets. Does scanning reset or is it a permanent stat that doesn't regenerate (meaning no more planets)?

I saw a thread that has some people having upkeeps of 500M- 500 million, right? So wouldn't the Builder trait be good to cut down that to 250 million? More deck space means more stuff inside the ship, meaning more stuff to pay upkeep on, right? So cutting down on that upkeep?

What does planet population effect? More resources? More research?

Finally, what does extra raiding mean? More chances to hit someone? Or 20% more success rate on dice rolls?

Again, sorry for all these questions. I'm trying to learn the game and its rules and stuff.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 am

http://galaxylegion.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
watch out some of the pages are overloaded.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:46 am

population is the HP of a planet when it is being attacked. it regenerates like shields. Helpful for holding onto a planet. Biologist doesn't look that good to me really. You need cargo space to hold artifacts and modules you aren't using. also you need open space to recieve and sell minerals. basically I would see "merchant" see it as a way to save on rank points because I tend to neglect cargo. Having a lot of artifacts ready to fire off is reeaally nice though.

You get better minerals and thus more money as you rank up, so upkeep is kept in some sort of scale according to how far ahead/behind you are on research. If it does get too high you'll need another mining planet or to do more missions to make up for a deficit. The upkeep is daily.

invasion can be a pain. you have to destroy the planets population (costs energy) and then have a chance to invade it, your chance of success depends on your attack vs planet defense (in some way, not really sure). if you fail, you cant invade again for 24 hours, at that point you're likely screwed. If you succeed it costs 2x what it does to colonize. The price for both goes up as you get more planets.

I would get either merchant or fixer if i were going to be a sillix. A lot of people favor shields because they repair themselves and that research tree has planetary defense as well, but hull is more space efficient and it costs money to repair. I'd say get both, if you have room, and be a tank

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 am

Thanks for the descriptions.

The wiki isn't working, I keep getting internet errors when I try to click on the links on the main page.

Could someone explain the scanning thing in more detail? Also any advice on the whole planet thing? From what I've read on the forum, scanning seems to be permanent and doesn't regenerate. So if I get crappy planets and get to 5% scanning, I can't get any new planets ever since scanning doesn't go back to 100%?

Also does that effect invading and taking over other planets? Meaning if I scan down to 5% then I can't find more people to invade and take over planets, or can I invade anyone at will?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:13 am

Veristek wrote:
Thanks for the descriptions.

The wiki isn't working, I keep getting internet errors when I try to click on the links on the main page.

Could someone explain the scanning thing in more detail? Also any advice on the whole planet thing? From what I've read on the forum, scanning seems to be permanent and doesn't regenerate. So if I get crappy planets and get to 5% scanning, I can't get any new planets ever since scanning doesn't go back to 100%?

Also does that effect invading and taking over other planets? Meaning if I scan down to 5% then I can't find more people to invade and take over planets, or can I invade anyone at will?

The majority of the links should work, whats your browser?

scanning doesn't "regenerate", scan is a stat that is increased by equipping scanners and by doing this it increases the chance of successfully finding a planet. As you find more planets you scanning % will go down, to increase this % you get more scanning (dosnt have to be equipped all the time just when your using it)

Invading=colonizing an enemy colonized planet, counts as colonizing a planet like normal. You can invade any planet once you find it whenever as long as no one uses a planet flux (which removes it from all scan lists) and scanning only finds people when your trying to find people to battle. And before you ask,no, your scanning does not have to remain at a certain number to see the planets you have already found> Most people do whats called "Scan Blitzes" which is where they unequip everything except scanners and cores (so they dont waste previously stored energy and so they can use it to scan) so they can get the most scan at one time, scan like theres no tomorrow and then sell the scanners and requip everything.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:27 am

As you continue to find planets, your scan % will drop. You will need to build additional (and more powerful) scanners over time to increase the chance of finding even more.

You can attack/invade any enemy planet in your scan list after you reach Rank 20. Your legion can also temporarily share the locations of their planets with you. These shares do not affect your scan %.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:30 am

Thanks guys. I'll start up my character now and see what happens. I'll go with Silixx merchant. I'll ask more questions as they come up.

When did this game start up? When I saw it on FB, it says it has like 35,000 players. Does this mean this game is very new? Or has it been around for a while?

Also, what categories should I place my level up points in? Deck? Energy?

Last edited by Veristek on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:41 am

You can also get planet locations by hacking (RARELY) and they are more often occupied, especially if they are any good. I don't really know if they effect your scan success. I hacked a whole lot at early levels and it paid off nicely, though there is less of a point after rank 20.

By level 20 I was slightly ahead on research and had planets on my list that belonged to people that I would eventually far surpass in rank. The energy spent on hacking isn't really worth it once you don't have protection, it's better spent just levelling up.

You should really just start playing. The only things people would consider irreversible mistakes would be race/profession choice, settling the wrong planets, and mis-allocation of rank points and it sounds like you already have an idea of what to do with all that, which is more than most can say.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:44 am

Thanks.

I have one last question for now- should I put my level up points into energy or go straight decks? I've been playing Castle Age, another FB game, and it gives 5 points per level up.

So assuming this game operates on the same system, 5 points per level up, should I put 5 points in Decks, or 4 points deck + 1 cargo, or 3 deck + 1 cargo + 1 energy, or more points into energy?

EDIT: I'm deciding whether to go Merchant or Fixer. Merchant for the extra cargo, or Fixer for more HP for my ship to protect aganist invaders and stuff.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:47 am

Veristek wrote:
Thanks.

I have one last question for now- should I put my level up points into energy or go straight decks? I've been playing Castle Age, another FB game, and it gives 5 points per level up.

So assuming this game operates on the same system, 5 points per level up, should I put 5 points in Decks, or 4 points deck + 1 cargo, or 3 deck + 1 cargo + 1 energy, or more points into energy?

your going to get alot of people saying you should put things into certain stats at certain ratios, IMO put everything into energy (ranks points, research) for the first 20ish ranks then just put stats into Cargo and Decks as you feel they are needed, if you dont have enough decks put more into decks, not enough cargo put more into cargo. Crew arnt very useful ATM.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:50 am

Veristek wrote:
Thanks.

Depends who you ask. I say screw energy (engineers), research and install energy modules. You can get to rank 20 in one day if you invest a lot in engineers, but then your research will fall behind by the time you don't have protection.

Edit: The points spent on engineers might be negligible at higher levels. You'll never have enough deckspace... ever

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:52 am

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!

I'm curious, are there any alliances or blocs or anything of that sort in this game? I play Starfleet Commander too, and it has group defends, alliance chats, and stuff.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:14 am

I just went through a tutorial, and I now have a planet and 33% scan rating. I got a gas giant planet with "very abundant" research resource and is rated "massive" in size and is ranked "uncommon".

Is this a good planet?

No mineral resources, just research resource.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:27 am

lucky, the first planet I got was a sparse-sparse-average barren and the first gas I got was sparse research. It is definetly good compared to what I got, but I think you should ask higher ranks, Im only lvl 32

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:38 am

I built 4 power conduits on my ship, and my gas giant had 63 spaces so I built 15 research stations on it and getting 33 research points per hour.

The ship screen says that my 4 power conduits are costing me 50 in upkeep. Not sure if thats credits or minerals. I have no minerals because my gas giant has no mineral resources, so what should I do?

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:43 am

It is credits, tiny compared to higher ranks EDIT: Kuren I think has a energy device that has 43,000,000 upkeep

P.S. 33 research from 1 planet! Ive got to get me a good gas, Im only getting 45 research total and Im a Vygoid.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:52 am

over the next few days that 33 will turn into 66, good first planet, grats.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next