View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Mine / Artifact / Research ratios 

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide what to do with my planets. A few of them have good stats in both artifacts and research, and I've been hoarding mining planets for the income. At rank 39, I have 4 mining planets, 4 research planets, and 2 artifact planets. The artifact planets are split 50 / 50 with both artifacts and research buildings.

I generate 330 minerals, 59 artifacts, and 343 research per hour.

I've fully upgraded my 4 mining planets to all level 4 mines, and I'm in the process of upgrading my research and artifacts to level 4 buildings. However, I'm trying to decide whether to drop all research buildings on my artifact planets and only build level 4 artifact buildings.

I have a mining and research planet waiting for me to colonize at rank 40 and 44. I have a couple more mining planets occupied by wimpy enemies with 1 legion. I also have a few "Very Abundant" to "Extremely Abundant" artifact planets. So I don't think I need to do a scan blitz until Rank 50 or 60.

Should I get the mining planets first to get as much money as I can? I heard that the higher level stuff costs tens of millions of credits, and right now I'm only pulling about 50k to 70k credits per load sold. Or should I go for the artifact planets instead?

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Priority
Research -> mining -> artifact
If you have not enough research, you are left behind
If you have not enough credits, you can't afford newly researched items/upkeep -> left behind
Artifacts standalone by themselves

Balance research and mining.
Artifact will help you, but it ain't really a big deal.
With sufficient research+mining, your research for structures, energy, sensors (or whatever you want) should be up to par and you will be more competitive in your level range, and maybe even beyond your level range.

And - always make full use of your planets. Don't mix research + artifact when your planet has like Mega rich artifact and Very rich Research. Better to just go FULL artifact (this rule doesn't apply to chassis)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:48 pm

in early game artifacts should be the least of your worries and a small mining isn't going to be a big deal... beacuse until you research stuff there really isn't much to build so you don't need alot of money... when your past level 120 i'd say.. then it's ok to start doing a decent amount of artifacts

but the priority is always gonna be research>mining>artifacts.... start doing more minerals earlier then you need to save money.. because once you get to the +8 production building it costs about 80 mil PER building to build and the +10 costs about 275 mil PER building to build.. mining does play a goodly part in later game if you still want to progress fast... but since you gain more storage on your minerals and artifacts per planet... but gain reserach storage PER rank... what i currently try to do is level out my research and mining so they will both fill up in about the same amount of time.... so since i'm rank 206 AND a vygoid/miner

that means right now i can store 30,900 research... and since i have 52 planets.. that means i can store 26,000 minerals, and 52,000 in artifacts....

This works out nice since you want research to be your MOST productive thing and it has more storage BUT since minerals is less storage it will need a lower amount per hour to fill up in the exact same time as my research. BY SAYING that... artifacts is basically whatever you can afford to have extra... and currently it takes me about 2 times (or more) as long to fill up my artifact storage as anything else. Because like you should know.. it's better to have ALOT of artifact points before trading in so you have a better chance to get those RARE artifacts that is needed

You gain as a vygoid +150 more research storage PER RANK
you gain +500 more Mineral Storage PER planet OWNED
you gain +1000 More artifact Storage per Planet OWNED

For my protection i'm sorry i am not posting my hourly production rates :)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm really bad at explaining stuff, but I'm going to try to explain (once again) why I think a good artifact production can be VERY important as the tech tree becomes more and more exhausting.

Since the rate of leveling stays relatively constant if you keep up with energy research (or maybe even slow down), and your overall production will only increase, I would think the permanent benefits of artifacts would EVENTUALLY improve your actual power more than module research, since each research tier costs exponentially more for what seems to be a linear improvement their efficiency. In terms of total ship strength, the actual efficiency of the modules is what matters, not an individual module's power and each new module isn't actually that much more incredibly efficient than the last. You need deckspace to use those modules and it is the other half of the equation. However, your max of a certain stat will still be capped by your research. I'm pretty sure having enough deckspace is nearly impossible since that is what essentially everyone spends all their rank points on.

with ~500 artifact production I've gotten about 25% equivalence in rank points from artifacts as compared to how fast I'm getting them from ranking, which is about as fast as anyone else. Actually even that number is a huge underestimate since my historical average production of artifacts should only be about half of that if it has been improving linearly. That and I usually return at only 6000 AP. I think if someone a lot higher level than me would try to focus on artifact production more than research, that they would actually be rather pleased with the result when they start getting deckspace faster than they can from ranking up.

Since this is only a very small aspect of what artifacts do, I think it's handy to have a decent artifact production at almost any level, though it would seem to make more sense to have proportionally more artifact production as the research tree becomes more exhausting. I would think the production bonuses from terraforming, enlarging planets and chassis would be another very good reason to not neglect artifacts... and the consumable, temporary artifacts are simply a must in most any form of PVP. It's pretty hard to measure how awesome artifacts are when they essentially can do anything.

However much I think artifacts are underrated. Research is still pretty much more important overall, especially at lower levels...

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:07 am

Its always research first and foremost. Im getting close to getting down to 50% as i have increased my artifact production. Spoony is right about artifacts too...its a hard choice but good artifacts can have a huge impact on your ship, your planet and many other aspects of the game. you always need credits from mining but i think it comes last. you need to find your own sweet spot as there no hard fast rule and many will debate ratios....just remember produce only the best thing on each planet....unless you are desperate for something in particular...bender

That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

I tend to count how much I can produce in 24 hours. Artifacts this is what I mainly try and see my production. To find it out it is simple really how much you will produce in a given amount of time (Output * Number of hours). This helps me see what areas I want to improve and in the case of artifacts what I could get if I spent the points once a day. Minerals it can also help know about how long it will take to max out your storage.

But ratio wise I just wing it with what feels best.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:14 pm

I only have 2 planets with above "abundant" artifacts that I've colonized, and I'm pulling in 59 per hour. On the other hand, I have 4 research and 4 mining planets which gives me more than 350 per hour of research and mining.

Right now I'm trying to scrounge up cash to upgrade all my buildings to level 4, which will double my production (I have level 2 buildings). And as you guys said, the higher end buildings cost over 200 million credits, so why not have 50% mining so I can easily afford everything in one go once I unlock those buildings?

I'm about to hit rank 40 by the way.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:46 pm

I am currently rank 63 and I have only 9450 capiblility of holding research points. I have completly topped out ever branch of research that I can. I've even had to use a couple of data disks to get research that is out of my grasp. I realize that this is sorta part of the game but my problem is that with getting only another 150 reseach capibility every level I will have to go up like 10 more levels befor I can use any of them. So for the time being they are just sitting around not doing anything. It's even come to where I've detroyed my research on a couple of planets to bring my hourly rate down and replaced it with artifact. My next branch is set at 12000. I might as well not even try to get research (and SCREW gas planets). Its going to take me like 2 weeks before I can spend any points. They have been maxed out for over a week right now.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Remember that you can (and should) spend your points at any time. You do not need to wait until you have gathered ALL of the required points for a research option before you spend them.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:58 pm

You need to remember that the minerals you get will be better as you level. I am level 66 and I only have 215 minerals, which is working for me. Research is always the most important thing and energy is the thing you want to spend most of your research in if you want to level quickly and be able to finish the special missions. Artifacts start becoming worthwhile at level 40, especially if you are going to be an aggressive player.
My recommendation for players under level 40 is 80% research 20% minerals. Research cloak until you can get 100 cloaking, the buildings until you get +3 then energy. Your scanner research should depend on how luck you were in finding planets.
After level 40 it depends on your play style.
Passive: 70% research, 15% artifact, 15% mineral
Moderate: 50% research, 30% artifact, 20% mineral
Aggressive: 40% research, 40% artifact, 20% mineral
These ratios may change for higher levels, but I think they should be good up to level 80.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:57 am

Right now, my ratio is about 45% mining, 45% research, and 10% artifacts. I don't have any more colonizable research planets but have like 3 more mining planets and 3 or 4 artifact planets in my plabet list. i've scanned down to 10% with 5 Wideband Scaner III's.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:02 pm

I just hit 50 and i'm at 303 min 279 res and 276 art i have 4 planets that are art/res should i put a few over to straight res.Not sure how much i can hold i also dont get online everyday.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:28 am

I currently have after aquiring a very rich Artifact/rich research today

Minerals 384 27,63%
Artifacts 301 21,65%
Research 705 50,72%

Total 1390 100,00%

What i before thought was "too high" minerals income now seems pretty low even thought im closing in on 300 million credits in the bank account :D

in 4 levels, my next planet will be a Very Large Mining: Extremely Rich i already got on my list :D

EDIT: i uploaded the excel sheet i slapped together here https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhPFJNfnJnTRdDZ6MllyRHVRZ3JIbFhlVUxQeGVaYUE&hl=en&authkey=CP6Q2csO in case anybody wants it.

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--
Galactic Encyclopedia

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 pm

My current hourly rates at Rank 65 (as of now)

430 minerals
530 research
280 artifacts

Is this a good amount of stuff for my level? I have no more research planets on my list, but I have a couple more mining planets to invade and an artifact planet or two before I'm all out of good scanned planets. My most recent planet scan was done with Wideband Scanners about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:42 am

i just remodelled all my 21 planets:

Per hour %
Minerals 429 26,68
Artifacts 414 25,75
Research 765 47,57

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--