View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Defeating hackers at their own game ??? 

If I have a higher scan ability then the hackers cloak, do I have a better chance of getting a critical counter hack and stealing one of HIS planet locations?

Also, to defend against hackers, is having cloaking ability just as good as scanning ability?

If he has a cloak of 300 and my scan is 20, whats the effect?
If he has a cloak of 300 and my cloak is 20, whats the effect?

If he has a cloak of 300 and my scan is 600, whats the effect?
If he has a cloak of 300 and my cloak is 600, whats the effect?

So far, with the small hacking sampling I am getting, i can't tell any difference...

When people disable you often, you can make it painful for them by getting bigger shields, hull and defenses. Hope it's the same way with hacking too. I'd like to make some people think twice before hacking me.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 pm

When I get hacked, I double my efforts to raise both scanning and hacking until I can hack back. Generally, people don't like to continue to try to hack you if they know you can hit them right back.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 am

Scanning and Cloaking have an identical effect during during hack calculations.

Scanning is used to block hacks entirely before they begin. Your cloak must be greater than the enemy ship's scan to be eligible at all. However, some ships may choose to stack plenty of cloak instead, "inviting" the option of being hacked but still having a high chance to counter. The choice is up to you.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:51 am

So is the level of my cloak checked vs the level of his cloak when he attempts to hack me?

What I want to know is if my cloak is higher than his, do i have a better chance to critically hack him back and steal a planet location?

Thanks!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:54 am

Might be answering my own question here...

A while ago, I exploded a Firewall trap on my nemesis which took his cloak down 99.9%.

He has almost no scan capability.

I have 275+ cloak.

Here's the last few hack attempts against him...

Stole research from him
Fail
Fail
Stole research from him
Fail
Fail
He counter hacks and steals research from me
I get pissed off and log out

By this, my guess is that as long as you are able to hack someone, the probabilities of critical hack, success, failure, critical failure, etc. are EXACTLY the same. If so, I think that should be rethought.

If I have 275+ cloak and he has zero cloak and zero scan, I should have a much higher chance of success and critical success. Likewise, if i tried to hack someone with much higher cloak than me, the game should give me a much higher chance of critical failure. Wouldn't that make much more sense???

At the very least, if my cloak is far superior (like > 100%) more than his cloak I don't think he should have ANY chance of critically counter hacking me when I hack him. :P

Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:26 am

AlZymers wrote:
Stole research from him
Fail
Fail
Stole research from him
Fail
Fail
He counter hacks and steals research from me
I get pissed off and log out

I dont see where you spend the research, that could stopped him from getting it back. :D

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--
Galactic Encyclopedia

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]