View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Mission failure is driving me nuts 

Hi all,

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the mission failures situation. I'm trying to do "Research Epsionage" and every time I get near the end of it like 7 / 10 or 8 / 10, I get mission failure and I have to redo the whole freaking thing again.

Is there any secret or way to reduce the mission failure chances?

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:58 am

Veristek wrote:

perseverance. :)

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:50 am

Veristek wrote:
Hi all,

I'm getting a bit frustrated with the mission failures situation. I'm trying to do "Research Epsionage" and every time I get near the end of it like 7 / 10 or 8 / 10, I get mission failure and I have to redo the whole freaking thing again.

im on the mission Collective Coercion and you need to do 15 * 52energy, and i seem to always fail around 10th -14th time alot.

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--
Galactic Encyclopedia

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:33 am

What I don't understand is why such extremes? I mean, I've had a few missions that if it failed, that one mission click is wasted, not the whole mission progress bar. Why such masochistic failures?

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:16 am

Veristek wrote:
What I don't understand is why such extremes? I mean, I've had a few missions that if it failed, that one mission click is wasted, not the whole mission progress bar. Why such masochistic failures?

i just skip those missions that resets as soon as failure occurs. No patience for those. I am sure you have other mission to do. Do them first. Avoid this frustration.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:56 am

You're not the only one...

I even gave a suggestion on how to make it a bit better.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Barracuda wrote:
Veristek wrote:

i just skip those missions that resets as soon as failure occurs. No patience for those. I am sure you have other mission to do. Do them first. Avoid this frustration.

Well, at lvl 94, i am reaching a point where i have no choice but to do some of these.... and surely they drives me nuts.... Sigh. I wonder if Dan can make failures of such missions backtrack a lil (decrease in missions progress) instead of failing the whole mission.

Eg:
Collective? Say 35 times to succeed. Then, whenever u fail this missions (say at nos 34th time), u drop from 34/35 to 29/35. This would really encourage ppl to try ..... besides, critical failures for everything is ...... abcxytz....

And yes, i understand u get xp from the missions, but aint this simply the same as learning from your mistake?

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I only failled that one with the Omicron Bomb thing that you had to disable twice, and have never failed ANYTHING again. I hpe Im as lucky when I unlock Collective Coersion

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:06 pm

I usually save up my energy cubes for these missions. That way I have enough energy to plow through even after the inevitable failure. This doesn't do anything to help you succeed more but it sure does make you feel better getting at least one full run through succesfully.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:20 am

Veristek wrote:
Hi all,

You and me both ! On the "Political Favors" mission that goes to 15 for 1 completion, I have already had 3 failures at #15 and numerous other failures, and I only have 4 of 10 completed at this point ! I took a break & abandoned those missions for a while. Maybe that will change my luck.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm wondering if there isn't a collective risk that adds the more times you do it in a period of time. I stopped doing mission blitzes for the ones which may fail, i find that while it's slooooow to complete, I have yet to fail any doing one mission a day.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:51 pm

odiewoof wrote:
Well, at lvl 94, i am reaching a point where i have no choice but to do some of these.... and surely they drives me nuts.... Sigh. I wonder if Dan can make failures of such missions backtrack a lil (decrease in missions progress) instead of failing the whole mission.

Eg:
Collective? Say 35 times to succeed. Then, whenever u fail this missions (say at nos 34th time), u drop from 34/35 to 29/35. This would really encourage ppl to try ..... besides, critical failures for everything is ...... abcxytz....

I agree with a " loose 3 to 5 attempts " compromise. Like I said, I lost 3 Political Favors completions on the final attempt before a completion and lost 14 attempts on each, not to mention about another dozen failures with only 4 completions.
:)

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:10 pm

But on many of these mission types also do give extra bonuses. So if I fail I have more chances to get the extra shiny stuff (well for those that have em).

I am also ok with having a bit of a risk.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:16 pm

You are looking at it in the wrong direction. There is a certain XP to energy ratio for each mission and only a certain number of times you can complete a mission before it gets taken away. Ergo there is a maximum amount of XP that can be earned from a mission. When a mission fails and re-sets it DOESN'T take away your XP but it DOES give you an opportunity to gain more XP off the same mission by spending more XP...

It's not a bug, it's a feature. :) It's all in how you spin it.

I'm finding it to be a lot more interesting smacking around NPC ships. The XP/energy ratio is running slightly above 2:1 and if you happen to get a zolazin ship then you get 65xp for 5 energy instead of just 10 XP. I only do missions when the ships available outclass me or my shields and hull are depleted. At this rate I will have a lot more missions left to play with at your level.

Sean

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 pm

Sean Powell wrote:
You are looking at it in the wrong direction. There is a certain XP to energy ratio for each mission and only a certain number of times you can complete a mission before it gets taken away. Ergo there is a maximum amount of XP that can be earned from a mission. When a mission fails and re-sets it DOESN'T take away your XP but it DOES give you an opportunity to gain more XP off the same mission by spending more XP...

It's not a bug, it's a feature. :) It's all in how you spin it.

I'm finding it to be a lot more interesting smacking around NPC ships. The XP/energy ratio is running slightly above 2:1 and if you happen to get a zolazin ship then you get 65xp for 5 energy instead of just 10 XP. I only do missions when the ships available outclass me or my shields and hull are depleted. At this rate I will have a lot more missions left to play with at your level.

Sean

You one-shot them or something? or do you get exp for each hit?

i tried the regular npc, a level 50, im 74, it have 200 att, 300 def, with the best +18 weapons i could scram up less then 200 attack.

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--
Galactic Encyclopedia

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 am

Concentrate on researching some weapons techs, you'll find it easier to wipe out the NPCs. The weapons increase in power very quickly. My current weapons are six levels ahead of yours, and do almost three times as much damage but take up less than double the space of your weapons. Each weapon upgrade has a slightly higher damage to deck space ratio, so it's always best to put the best modules on your ship that you can fit.

Your damage to deckspace ratio is: 1.64
My damage to deckspace ratio is: 2.74

Also, equip defence modules rather than shields. Defence modules stop you taking damage in the first place. Shields act simply an extra layer of (regenerative) armour, and it's cheap and easy to repair your hull.

My folding@home stats :)

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:09 pm

FuriousRage wrote:
You one-shot them or something? or do you get exp for each hit?

You get XP from each hit, anywhere from 8-13 from what iv seen.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:14 pm

I just got an radiant weapons locked from AP's and out of that one i got
Graviton Shearer Attack +95, which seems to be atleast 4 or 5 tiers ahead of my current research. :D

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--
Galactic Encyclopedia

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]