View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Are shields useless? 

Veristek wrote:
Slightly off topic here.

How much defense would itI need to render a Star Destroyer practically immune to a frigate's attack? 2000 defense VS 100 attack from the frigate?

Case in point: My ship has 440 attack and 350 defense. The Stryll Deep Tracker I killed had 290 ttack and 290 defense but I halved that defense to 145 with the Drannik Saboteur artifact. The result? I get hit for 30+ damage each time. What I don't understand is if I have defense that is HIGHER than the enemy's attack, then damage should be neligible, like 10 points or less damage per hit, not 1/3 of my hull per hit.

This holds true in any RPG or statistics game. In those RPG's, a hero with higher defense than the monster / enemy's attack would mean that he would take 0 or 1 damage a hit.

Well, when you halved his defense, it didn't make him do LESS damage to YOU...you were able to do more damage to him. Also, if your hull is only 90, you're going to have problems in any fight.

About defense, just because you're harder to hit doesn't mean negligible damage...it just means less damage. And, 30 points IS negligible to some.

Now to get back on topic! :)

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:03 pm

You might as well say weapons are useless if you think that.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:32 am

Veristek wrote:
This holds true in any RPG or statistics game. In those RPG's, a hero with higher defense than the monster / enemy's attack would mean that he would take 0 or 1 damage a hit.

Yes but in those games defense means damage mitigation after a successful (enough anyway) attack. Not dodging like it is in GL.

Now as for getting back on topic, 2 things.....
1) This is Galaxy Legion, not starfleet or whatever, keep it to GL guys.
2) IMO shields are only truly useful if you can have enough to deter attackers, in which case they're godly. Otherwise I would focus on hull. Discuss.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:37 am

My new research strategy is based on what I can feasibly neglect. No use for shields or weapons. I get enough weapons lockers as it is if I actually hold on to them. If I focus my terras and exotics on artifacts my production is 1000/hr+. That and I would rather flux my good planets and cloak them than actually defend them at this point. I'm doing a 4 tier energy push right now. I'm half way through but I need new planetary structures to get rid of my extra credits. I've been handing out kurenite to any low level I see that is actually advancing quickly. There are already 2 (or 3) other areas of defense research besides shields. I would rather get ahead with resources and in general than research shields especially when there are alternate tactics in either arena of how shields work.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 am

Planetary defense structures are essentially useless versus crimson cluster missiles. Cloaking at least has a chance now. It was totally useless before. Now I would say that it is the way to go. A fluxed planet had a good chance at being safe for a long time beofore, now it is even longer. If someone has a high enough scan to have a chance at finding it, the defense structures you could have built would stop them with a 0% chance as opposed to some chance of them never finding it in the first place. Perhaps a blended strategy of resistance bases would be best. I haven't actually implemented this yet. It will probably be impossible to find a decent research planet any more though. Back room deals of facebook groups have made them impossible to find. After giving away some of those, there are plenty of new players that won't need a mining planet for 20+ levels. If you wanted a mining planet though, you are in luck!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 am

SpoonyJank wrote:
Planetary defense structures are essentially useless versus crimson cluster missiles.

oh stop getting emo about that, im pretty sure you con only get like 5 of those. As for mining planets, good god iv needed some of those.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:29 am

lol, try 30 or 40. but only one person. It's funny when I'm online and just rebuild all of it before they can even bust out the quantum bio vaporizers... with cloning pods at the ready... I admit I've seen aspects at one extreme of the game though. I'm helping Dan make money and nowhere near killing myself or doing emo-fag stuff.

I remember seeing some crappy anime where these secretary-like female military officers of some mech-thing would move a portable mini shield with a mouse-ball thing... I was like "OMG get a computer"

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:40 am

SpoonyJank wrote:
lol, try 30 or 40. but only one person. It's funny when I'm online and just rebuild all of it before they can even bust out the quantum bio vaporizers... with cloning pods at the ready... I admit I've seen aspects at one extreme of the game though. I'm helping Dan make money and nowhere near killing myself or doing emo-fag stuff.

I remember seeing some crappy anime where these secretary-like female military officers of some mech-thing would move a portable mini shield with a mouse-ball thing... I was like "OMG get a computer"

30-40? Hot damn.......
As for moners sake, 1 step closer to Dan getting a ferrari.
And as for the anime, 5 bucks says it was gundam and a trackball(AKA the best mouse in the world)

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:43 am

Cothordin wrote:
IMO shields are only truly useful if you can have enough to deter attackers, in which case they're godly. Otherwise I would focus on hull. Discuss.

I totally agree! I DO have enough shield to deter attacks, and have it stay charged to some level. Not paying for hull damage? Priceless. Actually, there IS a price, I just don't know what it is. :lol:
Cothordin wrote:
trackball(AKA the best mouse in the world)

Somehow, I just KNEW you were a trackball kind of guy!

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Shields are OFFICIALLY NOT useless now! :)

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2