View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Spaces for Defense 

How many spaces do people recommend using for defenses on planets that are good, but not really high risk for attack? (What I consider Tier 2 and Tier 3 worlds.) This includes everything that isn't resource production.

Personally I'm looking at 13 spaces for two reasons. First, it's half of what's available on a Tiny world. Second, 13 spaces is where I started to wonder if I was putting to much defense on these planets.

What are your thoughts?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:00 am

average planet virtually nothing. good planet like 4-5, great planet like 9-10.

i typically leave most undefended, but put cloaking on. this is overall better than putting on lots of att, and def. once someone finds it your screwed. for really good planets i put cloak + my best structure that adds the most points. i dont mess with the production much. ill add whatever fits after i build my production. i have +5 prod, so i will spend somewhere up to the 10 space range on chassis and def. so if your structures are +3 (9 space) use less than 7 space on def.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:32 pm

A guy like me who has plenty of attack power and artifacts is going to take that planet no matter what if we really want it. Upper levels have thousands in attack and our artifacts can decimate your population no matter how many habitats you put on it. Your only hope is that we don't find it so don't waste space on defense and go pure cloak.

- #3 with level 6 base and #3 in Legion strength (not just NPC fighters)
- 13 Lab creations (all the best)
- Our base gives 22000 RP a day

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

I've always used shields and population structures. It can make the cost of invasion pretty high in terms of energy but only an active defense with your legion involved is really going to stop anyone. Even then you need to have an extra planet flux laying around or some serious vigilance. The super high levels have some nifty artifacts that make it pointless to do anything but cloak now. I had a very large planet with nothing but regional shields, hyperspheres and chassis. They all got blown up by crimson cluster missiles so rebuilt all of them and used a cloning pod, used some artifacts and then it just got taken later even though it had about 8000 att+def and 1200 population with 10 people guarding it. It happened while I was sleeping. I don't think better structures would have made any difference and I couldn't have had more.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:13 am

Cloak won't do jack if the high levels have like 2000 scan. You'd need 2000 cloak to prevent your planets from being ever found. And I'm not sure there's a 1000 cloak building on the planet, let alone a 2000 cloak one.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 am

Veristek wrote:
Cloak won't do jack if the high levels have like 2000 scan. You'd need 2000 cloak to prevent your planets from being ever found. And I'm not sure there's a 1000 cloak building on the planet, let alone a 2000 cloak one.

5th post
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=913

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 am

In addition to the effectiveness of planetary cloaking being scalable now, the higher level cloaking satellites, when combined with a 100 sized legion will actually do a decent job. The ship modules from the research involved will also help if people are trying to get planets from you by hacking. Leaving cloaking on will make it so you counter-hack most of the time but it is also unlikely to happen when you never show up on the battle list. I'm guessing this is part of the reason that a lot of people on the kills list switched over to spy. Free research from the people that can't kill you anyways.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 am

Gotcha.

Didn't know cloak was boosted.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:17 am

Cothordin wrote:
Veristek wrote:

5th post
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=913

(or a direct link)
http://galaxylegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8204#p8204

(there is an yellow or white arrow pointing to the right just left of where you see Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:17 am

A Anger
T Toward
E Everyone
R Reaching
S Success
--
Galactic Encyclopedia

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:54 am

Stealth research costs a lot of RP though. Definitely cheap in credits though. If it were hard to afford in credits it would defnitely need to be added to the wiki.

In terms of space, I usually spend more than anyone here would suggest. On the better half of my planets at least. I haven't actually switched over to cloaking yet. I would hope the structures cost 500k at least. I think I'll divert my current research plan for a day.

Actual defense from structures is overall feeble. All it has ever really done for me is give me the heads up to use a bunch of artifacts (in the right order) and to notify my legion. I think only my circumstance would make even legion notifications pointless. If DOO wants your planet for some "deal", you are basically screwed. It was never yours. Expect someone 200 levels higher than you to nuke it while you are asleep. And then someone else will take it. Usually they are some ridiculously high level as well. I'm guessing it leads to huge arguments as to who it should actually belong to. It pretty much ruins my game and the balance of the game overall. Unfortunately fluxes are sendable so you can expect to never see it again.... So yeah, cloak it. You'll want your exotic matter; maybe the resistance bases could help. It seems to be the only 'absolute' solution and it will save you planet fluxes in the long run.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]