View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Hacking limit per day. 

There are now limits to how many times a single ship can be hacked, raided, or disabled in a 24 hour window. When that player performs one of those actions against someone else, this limit will increase. Once a ship is hacked/raided/disabled too many times within a 24 hour window, that action cannot be performed again.

If this is the case I want better targets in my battle window. I'm able to hack players twice my level but I cant get anything over more than 12 or so levels higher than me, and even then it's not more than a 2 or 3 targets of that level. That's a loss of about 1/3 of the research I can pull per hack and everything else is so low it's hardly worth it.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:01 am

Target the players on the leader kill board, they should be higher level. :lol:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 am

WOW you can do that?? Now I'll be the first to admit I'm an asshole...but that's just wrong lol.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 pm

silentknight wrote:
WOW you can do that?? Now I'll be the first to admit I'm an asshole...but that's just wrong lol.

wrong!? lol before DOO came into being id disable each person on that list 2 times a day, it was great.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 pm

One thing I've noticed, failed hacks still count against this total number allowed. This I think should be changed, with such a limited number of hacks allowed only succefull hacks should count towards the limit.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm not sure I like the whole idea of the limit for hacking. If you actually wanted a planet location from a specific person, you would have to be the only person hacking them for a month.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:27 pm

SpoonyJank wrote:
I'm not sure I like the whole idea of the limit for hacking. If you actually wanted a planet location from a specific person, you would have to be the only person hacking them for a month.

I am sure that your proposed strategy of hacking all of someone’s planets to decimate them is one of the main reasons the limits were put in.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 am

Ya I think the idea is that now youll hack alot of people a bit instead of a bit of people alot.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:31 am

I meant by myself. If I can only hack a person 5 times in a day I would probably have to hack them for months on end to get a single occupied planet. Of course it is the same for groups. If there were a defensive timer instead of an offensive one it would prevent groups from ganging up on people and still allow me to hack them every 25 minutes on a 1v1 basis, which really isn't that bad. I'm one of the few people to get legitimately gang-banged in this game, so I'm pretty aware of why the limit exists. The only ways to attack people now is totally inconsequential and non-targeted. I have to harass everyone in the game to PVP now and it essentially has no real negative effect on them.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:46 am

SpoonyJank wrote:
I meant by myself. If I can only hack a person 5 times in a day I would probably have to hack them for months on end to get a single occupied planet. Of course it is the same for groups. If there were a defensive timer instead of an offensive one it would prevent groups from ganging up on people and still allow me to hack them every 25 minutes on a 1v1 basis, which really isn't that bad. I'm one of the few people to actually get gang-banged in this game.

The timers are defensive. You can only hack a person 5 times a day (unless their stupid or a PVPer), but you can hack as many people as you have energy for. Now as for the offensive timers, I think your right on this, I think the timers should go down significantly.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 am

well I can hack the guy 5 times who may have actually done something to me in the past... with a season's effort for a chance at getting a planet. Then after that if I wanted I could blow my load hacking everyone else in the game willy-nilly, but that's not really my bag, and presently retarded under the limit system.

PS: I'm bad at explaining stuff. To rephrase: the only way to use a decent portion of your energy in PVP is to attack people willy-nilly or be lucky enough to find someone stupid enough to have done that already. Actually targeting someone who may have done something to you in the past is essentially impossible if they don't feel like playing ball that day. Unfortunately my memory goes back further than a day, but it is quite understandable that things before the update should probably be left in the past. Some of the aspects of the new update just seem counterintuitive though. I feel kind of bad #$&*@ about it since it seems like something that was quite a pain in the ass to program. The database of this game is pretty amazing if it can log every action this well. Is there a universal rollover at some specific hour?

Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:57 am

I find it funny Spoony, that as much as you've claimed about being ganged up on by the hordes of DOO, these new changes were implemented to stop that very thing.

Here's the big problem that I see with the current way things are and shaping up with the current loot systems, raiding and hacking, and that's with the cost and risk output verses the reward. It's not that the cost versus the energy expenditure is neccissarily out balance per se, but just that it's so damn easy for players to negate any benifit even if you do succeed in the attack. The downside of the new systems implimented yesterday is that they limit this even moreso, as even when you DO find a decent target to pillage and plunder, it's limited on how much you can do it. I know some of this has been discussed in other posts but lets discus the pros and cons of each, hacking and raiding and some possible fixes.

RAIDING
Raiding requires the dissablement of the enemy ship before the action can take place. This can be quite a substantial investment of energy, and you risk the loss of a crew member on a critical fail, which, with the very hard ability of being able to get crew members, is a fairly serious loss. So obviously you want the reward to out weigh this. The problem is this is the easiest ability to negate by the attacker simply by not carrying anything of value in your hold just by selling off your ore shipements when you recieve them. This only leaves artifacts. At lower levels, when artifacts arn't worth nearly as much, the good ones can be used immediately, and the rest can just be scrapped (which is STILL not giving credits btw). In later levels when the artifacts get quite valuable...keeping a decent sized "junk" pile of artifacts with them means your reducing the odds of the raider getting a good artifact...and keep in mind they only can do this on a critical raid outcome to begin with.

The alternative to this, which has been discussed already, is to have the players mineral and artifact points raided and added to the attackers. This can still be somewhat by passed for minerals by receiving your mineral shipments regularly, but since artifacts tend to be "weighted" in what your likely to get dependant on how many you have when you turn them in, odds are likely they'll have artifact points when you do score a critical raid, but this is balanced by the fact that critical raids are rare to begin with. How to figure how much is taken when the raid is successful can be figured out in one of two ways. Either it can be pure percentage based or it can be a scaling set amount based on target level, much like hacking is currently. The real beauty of both of these configurations, however, is this forces people to fight higher level players since this will give higher level rewards, much like how hacking is currently set up. Likewise if it becomes percentage based, this makes repeated raiding suffer from deminishing returns since you'll be getting the same percentage of a smaller number, thereby making repeated raiding of the same target less and less profitable. This makes for a very good risk vs. reward setup and makes it where higher levels have a greatly reduced insentive to gank lower level players and at the same time making it much harder for people to defend their stockpiles of wealth and increasing the likelyhood of the attacker being able to get something out of the deal when they do succeed. This is also counter balanced by the new limits implemented yesterday by the fact that the limits of being attacked increase the more the aggressor attacks, meaning the more they can be retaliated against, where as those that don't or choose not to engage in pvp willfully can rest assured they're resources won't get drained dry. I realy like this aspect of these new implementations by the way.

HACKING
Hacking is a bit more problematic. First off, research can be spent at any time, meaning it's extremely easy to make it worthless to hack somone if they're logged in. The only time they're reletively in dange is during the off hours when most people arnt logged in, but there in lies a fairly good defense as there arn't too many people on to get hacked by. Likewise, the way the amount hacked are set up according to level, it's very unlikely your going to completely drain someone's research points totally dry by repeated hacking unless they've invested very little into finding and colonizing research planets, in which case that's they're fault. I realy like the fact that to get bigger rewards, requires you to go after higher level players and hurts you to hack lower level players. The new stystem implimented yesterday severly limits your the reward from this though. I can definately attest after a day of working with the new balances put in the game, I've lost probably about 1/3 of what I normally would have gotten. The problem is the way hacking is set up, You require 2 sets of modules to do this effectively, scanners to find the cloaked higher levels and cloakers to be able to overcome they're scanners and be able to hack them. You could argue that there's more moduals needed for an attack geared ship than for hacking, but with how ship repairs work, you can quite easily take down a high level player just by wittling away at them and constantly repairing you ship if they're logged out. I also think the mechanics of the battle screen have some part to play in this, i'm not sure how it selects targets and what at what range limit to display them, i'm guessing it could very well be based off of something like the new ship alert system where it only displays players within 40% up or down of your current level, but at my current rank of 34 I can hack people in they mid to high 70s but my battle screen only shows players in the mid to high 40s and never much more than 3 or 4 of them at max. This coupled with the fact that legion alerts now won't show anything above this percentage of your level means it's practically impossible for me to now be able to target those level 70 something now and that a loss of a lot of research per hack, and now with the limited hacks in place, even when I do find a good target i'm still not going to get much for very long, assuming someone hasn't already beat me to the punch. Basically as it now stands, hacking as a proffession to reliably boost your research income is less rewarding. A couple of ways to fix this would be to lower the timer to hack someone allowing more hacks per hour, but then this will also make hacking much more energy intensive. Another method would be to make it where research points could only be expended when you have the RPs available to learn the entirety of the next teir of research. Naturally you would also have to increase the max amount of RPs able to be stored as well, but at least it means you'r more likely able to get RPs if you hack someone. I can't say that I have as good of solutions for hacking as I do raiding. As for hacking to steal planets, first you don't neccissarily need to be a hacker for that, and second it's not meant to be something reliable, just a nice but rare perk. Repeated hacking of someone to try and get a planet location back that they took and fluxed from you was already an extreme shot in the dark. You'd actually have a better chance of scanning a new one, no matter how bad you think your scanning is.

As it stands right now there's very little incentive to pvp, unless you're just interested in chasing down a leader board rating. This is obvious just how little interest people have in pvp. The problem is the only thing this leaves in the game is watching how fast a resource bar refills, and although some people might find that rewarding enough, most don't. However, with the exception of a small minority, most people arn't overly interested in just running around randomly attacking people just for kicks either unless they're able to get something more profitable out of it, especially since experience gains from pvp are low as well, and if pvp dies out, people will get bored with the game much more quickly and it'll start to loose player base and i'm sure the developers don't want that either. The new systems implemented do help against repeated pillaging from players based on the defenders actions, and I won't dissagree that they might have been needed. But with the rewards for pvp already being lackluster, I only see them extinguishing player to player interaction even more, and pvp is the spice of life in a game like this.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:57 am

I think it makes sense (now that there are limits) to lower the timer on additional hacks from 25 minutes to 15 minutes.

Keep in mind that you can cycle targets faster in your battle list by attacking them once... little tip :)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:46 pm

webguydan wrote:
I think it makes sense (now that there are limits) to lower the timer on additional hacks from 25 minutes to 15 minutes.

Keep in mind that you can cycle targets faster in your battle list by attacking them once... little tip :)

How about raid timer to 15 min too to be in-line with hacking? Raiding already sucks compared to hacking anyway.

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:26 pm

oh it doesn't reset every day. I think I have nothing to complain about now. :oops:

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]