View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ship Defenses 

The formula is more complex than just attack - defense. If this were true, many ships could be 1-shotted. It is based instead a hyperbolic tangent formula, random variances, and a single shot damage cap. The damage cap means that it has to take at least 4 shots to disable any ship (even a level 1). If you have raised your shields/hull, only to see it get hit harder, this is because the cap was applying to you.

I think the hull repair right now is too expensive, scales too fast, and I will adjust it tomorrow. :)

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 am

webguydan wrote:
The formula is more complex than just attack - defense. If this were true, many ships could be 1-shotted. It is based instead a hyperbolic tangent formula, random variances, and a single shot damage cap. The damage cap means that it has to take at least 4 shots to disable any ship (even a level 1). If you have raised your shields/hull, only to see it get hit harder, this is because the cap was applying to you.

I think the hull repair right now is too expensive, scales too fast, and I will adjust it tomorrow. :)

But see thats what I don't understand. It renders hull/shield sort of useless then. For example I have 50 hull regularly. I attacked a guy and he did 6-7 damage and killed me in say 8 hits. I then switched and added hull to wear I had 140 hull. He then hit me for 17-18 damage and killed me in 6-7 hits. So adding hulls/shields generally does nothing then and has no point or am I missing something?

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:57 am

Yes, stacking shield and armor without too much defense is not a good idea

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:13 am

webguydan wrote:
Here is some more detail on the role each of the various ship defenses offer:

Defense Modules (thrusters & dampeners): These modules allow your ship to avoid damage altogether, without putting strain on your shields and hull. The downside to defense modules is that they take up more space than other types of modules. You can have up to 8 defense modules installed in total (4 thrusters and 4 dampeners). Having no defense at all means that enemy weapons can often do a lot of damage in a single attack.

Shield Modules: These are your first defense for attacks that strike your ship. Having a lot of shields can prevent expensive repair costs on your hull. Since shields regenerate even when you are not playing, they provide an important defense for random attacks. Shields take up less space than defense but more space than hull modules. Another downside to shields is that they cannot be reset to full like a hull, so you are at the mercy of their charge rate.

Hull Modules: These are the last line of defense before your ship becomes disabled. While these do not take up much space, they become increasingly expensive to repair as you gain Ranks, which may require you to rely on an Allly member to repair you.

Perhaps this question should be under suggestions but, why doesn't some proportion of weapons count as defense ? If I am defending my ship, I would certainly have All my guns blazing !
:)

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Your Ship's Defense rating reduces the amount of damage that you take from the enemy's weapons.

Your own weapons do damage back to the attacker when they attack you but have no effect on the amount of damage that the other person can do to you.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Totally agree! I love, absolutely love the developers making this a game of balance. If you go all defense, then you shouldn't get 70% attack power (i.e. Castle Age). That doesn't me you can't fight back. It may take me longer to pound down, but drops of water carved the Grand Canyon!

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:14 am

Just for the record, I swear I was taking down level 15 Zolazin NPC ships in three shots. It took four shots with the level 10s, and many many shots with the level 70s.

I figured that I just had not been packing as much firepower against the level 10s as I did against the 15s, but maybe there was a glitch with the 15s instead...

Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:58 pm

zippinthruspace wrote:
Totally agree! I love, absolutely love the developers making this a game of balance. If you go all defense, then you shouldn't get 70% attack power (i.e. Castle Age). That doesn't me you can't fight back. It may take me longer to pound down, but drops of water carved the Grand Canyon!

no this would mean most players would just focus on one tech(defense or weapons) and be able to go on their merry way. this makes them spread it out or take some risks, 70% attack from defense...would be pretty silly, especially considering later in the game, saving people hundreds of thousands of research points. imo this system is balanced as is, but could use some more tinkering as to what happens in battle(ie. your attack disables a weapon! now making it easier to "kill" a target. some food for thought

Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:44 am

So, which of these modules should one focus on building the most? Defense? Shield? Hull? Or a good mixture of all three? and in what proportion? :roll:

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 pm

If you are a big ship, hull and sheilds at about same rate, if small, defense.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Timoteo wrote:
So, which of these modules should one focus on building the most? Defense? Shield? Hull? Or a good mixture of all three? and in what proportion? :roll:

Depends on your style. IF you never attack/invade, then weapons ain't needed (note: you sometimes do need to invade/attack)
You should ALWAYS have some hull researched. No use having super modules while the enemy could just decimate your ship in 1 shot. Even traps won't help you in that case.
Shields or hull, that's all but an opinion.
Thus generally,
Hull -> Defense -> Shields
In decreasing importance (to keep your ship in one piece)

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:24 am

Thanks guys.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Is the damage you receive based on the size of your deck space, or the size of your shields/hull, or a combination of both? from the thinking of 2 ships with 20 deck space one with 100 hull and one with 50 hull both attack and defenses are the same. would the damage be the same. or does the ship with the higher hull take more damage? sorry for the silly questions just trying to understand where to put my rank points and tech in. any advice would be helpful.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Luxfere wrote:
Is the damage you receive based on the size of your deck space, or the size of your shields/hull, or a combination of both? from the thinking of 2 ships with 20 deck space one with 100 hull and one with 50 hull both attack and defenses are the same. would the damage be the same. or does the ship with the higher hull take more damage? sorry for the silly questions just trying to understand where to put my rank points and tech in. any advice would be helpful.

hull no is no longer in the damage equation, decks though do put the limitations on ones damage cap. So, less decks=lower damage cap. That being said having less decks will not be helpful in anyway unless your opponent has weapons that are much stronger then your defenses (Like 100s if not 1000s)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:37 pm

I have encountered a player with very small but huge crew of tactical/helmsmen crew and large hull.. It sure limited my damage per attack on that player. He's just a such powerful evader flying through the volley of my 18 guns only to get hit by 1 or 2 of my gun blasts and rest of my blasts just flew into oblivion, heh. I wish I could create 2nd character with ultra tiny deck with massive crew size and best hull/shield. That would be fun to play! :)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 pm

it was just what i was thinking of trying. would help on my slow play style and make off line defenses much easier to maintain. thank you for your responses.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Luxfere wrote:
it was just what i was thinking of trying. would help on my slow play style and make off line defenses much easier to maintain. thank you for your responses.

Ah, yeah. For players who don't play often can get large benefit from crewmen boost especially engineers and scientists but don't neglect tactical/helmsmen if you wanna fight NPCs. That tiny ship with large crew approach can make a deadly raider by the way once raiding get re-vamped.. It's already deadly but not rewarding right now.. Once you get high in rank and feel the need to expand ship size, you can always change to decksize investment and start heavy on artifact production to further boost your decksize to catch up.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:09 pm

webguydan wrote:

Music to my ears.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:08 pm

this small ship theory is exactly my stratergy. I am a little underpowered at the moment but getting to a nice balance. would really like some more info on ship size damage cap tho. i have capped my decks at 149 small enough to have evasion but decent deck space to play with. if a scout is an x-wing fighter i think i'd be a Millenium falcon

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Does that make defense and shields more important than hull? That means you should focus on defense and shields over hull but you still need a equalibeium ( can't spell it)

p.s is that the correct way to use a equaliberium?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next