View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Hacking 

Barracuda wrote:
integrityseeks wrote:
Is there any way to undo the effects of a Quantum Firewall Trap ?

You wait... and wait... and wait... that's the only solution I know of.

Heh, whenever I get firewalled, I just switched to raid.. But problem is, raid is much harder to build points upon simply because players kept their minerals cargo empty. Once dev change raid system to allow players to raid to steal artifact points instead of minerals then raid will be as attractive as hack then I'll enjoy raid more.. I find raiding very boring even though I raid very well due to large crew I have..

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Meet the Master Hacker of the Galaxy.. I just broke 1k successful hacks milestone! :)

Know what's funny? I never ever crit-fail on hack in my entire career.. Lucky?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:27 pm

Nocifer Deathblade wrote:
Meet the Master Hacker of the Galaxy.. I just broke 1k successful hacks milestone! :)

you lucky for sure. I crit failed 4 times on 600 hacks. 2 of them successive on a same player which is the only player I ever massively spammed attack (I asked him politely to tell me the planets names, he never talked to me ... so i chained killed him like mad, he kept never talking lol).

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:21 am

Zhorgul wrote:
Nocifer Deathblade wrote:

you lucky for sure. I crit failed 4 times on 600 hacks. 2 of them successive on a same player which is the only player I ever massively spammed attack (I asked him politely to tell me the planets names, he never talked to me ... so i chained killed him like mad, he kept never talking lol).

Really? I wonder what's the factor for crit-fail? I am at 1.2k hack and haven't crit-fail yet and I am not a hacker profession...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:06 am

Does anyone besides Dan know how the logic goes?

Would it be...

Succeed or Fail
IF Succeed XX% chance of crit success
IF Fail XX% chance of crit fail

or is it something like

Roll 100
If 100 Critical Success
If 1 Critical Fail
(Rest depending on stats)

Reason I ask, this is a numbers game... just like all web based games like this. If I have an even chance of Crit Success and Crit Fail, there is no way to get ahead by specializing in hacking.

Gam

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:03 am

Does no one know? Or does no one understand what I am trying to ask?

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:25 pm

Gamielel wrote:
Does no one know? Or does no one understand what I am trying to ask?
I undrestand what you are asking but I think only Dan knows. Even Cothordin doesnt know.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Success and Failure rolls are indeed "re-rolled" for critical chance.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Thank you kind Sir.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:31 pm

O.k. so this is my first post here but I have visited frequently. And I am seeing a few things I just find funny while hacking. First I'm a Vygoid hacker by trade. And quite good at Hacking in my own opinion. Over 100 successful hacks on my own. And only a few people have ever been successful in hacking me.

So since the changeover and the addition of the new Legions here is what I am seeing. In my own Legion I've seen quite a few of our lower ranked members Getting attacked and disabled by by players anywhere from 30 to over 100 levels above them. So they do as all good players do and make them available to the rest of the Legion for appropriate payback. Now me being the one of two very accomplished hackers in the legion decide I'm going to use my hacking ability to it's fullest. So it becomes open season on all these players. I would say 90+% of the time I am successful at hacking even a player as high as level 200 I had a critical success against.

Now today I'm clicking on the battle tab and find a nice sweet looking level 96 just ripe for the Hacking. So I Hack him and fail the first time and coincidentally my research just landed a few seconds prior to the hack. OOPS he gets 86 research back. Immediately disables me and sends me a message going "I Hope you learned a lesson".

Um yeah NO!!!!!!!. patiently wait for the 5 minutes to hack him again and guess what I get my 86 research back plus a nice bonus on top of that. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I can get it back plus some extra fir my trouble.

here's my point in all of this though. One common thread remains with all players at higher levels. If I can find you and hack you I will simple as that. This is a game and getting offended and mad because you got hacked is really kind of pointless. There is a solution to being hacked. If you don't like it then you have a choice to make the next time you think about adding another weapons slot take a few minutes and think about upping your cloak.

And while I might agree that disabling me might make you feel better about all your big guns. The simple fact is i can still hack you and I carry enough traps and set them often enough that you will pay for the assaults as well. Having 8 or more very large weapons means you made a choice to sacrifice decks that could be used to balance out your ship and charachter. That's a choice you made. I made a choice to keep everything relatively balanced which is why I can hack someone quite a few levels above me.

Thinking you will discourage me from Hacking you by disabling me means nothing as this is just a game. And ya know what after being disabled I can still hack you.

I also find it more honorable to fight people in my own levels. The only time I ever smash anyone over 10 levels below me is if they are attacking members of my Legion. I typically will hit larger players as there is more benefit in that then in smashing smaller players.

I also find more honor in players who aren't afraid of people higher ranked then themselves. These are the good players in my opinion.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:08 pm

It was mentioned in this thread that you get alerted on both successful and unsuccessful hacks against you, but I've been hacked 6-7 times today and only have been alerted once and that was by a successful hack.

I've seen it mentioned around that you aren't alerted when someone steals a planet location, but I find it hard to believe that 5-6 of the hacks got a planet from me. If unsuccessful hacks don't alert, it means that there is no drawback besides the 5 wasted energy. You have a lower reload time to hack again and don't have to worry about any retaliation. It is also unfair to the person who got hacked since they need to worry if someone stole a planet location or got nothing, and that's a big difference.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 am

if it would have been a success but you have no RP to steal, then it takes off of your potential actions and doesn't notify you unless you have a trap set. It is so people can't keep hacking you every 5 minutes for a chance at a planet.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:06 am

lvl doesn't matter in Hacking.

a lvl 20 can hack a lvl 400 just by throwing multiple quantum flares at their ship. It's actually a good idea for low lvls, for whom 400 - 500 research points means alot.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:35 am

Haha, I am such a noob at PVP (I do NPC normally). I just realized that you can hack/be hacked without being disabled it just requires a cloaking to match your opponent. That makes it pretty easy for anyone to do it once they throw 0 cloak and -50% scan artifacts on someone. Fun times :)

It seems like cloaking is more important than scanning for hacking, is that true ?

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:39 pm

well cloaking is required when scan only helps,so yeah is more important.

Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm

webguydan wrote:
The greater your combined cloaking + scanning power, the greater the chance you will succeed with your hack. However, there is a chance of failure.

Had the experience of quite an unpleasant hack.

My Cloak - 1052
My Scan - 932

Enemy Cloak - Zolazin Jammer, Gamma Channeler, Dark Pyramid, AI Supercomputer = 110
Enemy Scan - Stryll Transponder x2, Stryll Hunt Sensor, AI Supercomputer = 95

Second attempt with my 200 scan addition, [ 2 artifacts ] gave the same result:

Failure, enemy counter Hack received Zero Research.

Looks like a very simple equation here:

DEVS + security + logic = incompetent retarded cheats.

The Cheat incident I had with Social Gold appears to be spreading widely.

:roll:

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 am

integrityseeks wrote:
webguydan wrote:
The greater your combined cloaking + scanning power, the greater the chance you will succeed with your hack. However, there is a chance of failure.

Had the experience of quite an unpleasant hack.

My Cloak - 1052
My Scan - 932

Enemy Cloak - Zolazin Jammer, Gamma Channeler, Dark Pyramid, AI Supercomputer = 110
Enemy Scan - Stryll Transponder x2, Stryll Hunt Sensor, AI Supercomputer = 95

Second attempt with my 200 scan addition, [ 2 artifacts ] gave the same result:

Failure, enemy counter Hack received Zero Research.

Looks like a very simple equation here:

DEVS + security + logic = incompetent retarded cheats.

The Cheat incident I had with Social Gold appears to be spreading widely.

:roll:

Do this several hundred times if not thousands on a target that does not change either its scan or cloaking (with you doing the same), then report the %s of each different type of result. If your still failing 100-80% of the time with these stats, then people are cheating. Failing 2 times when you have a 10% of failing each time is not enough data for substantial proof.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:52 am

I should think like with invasion there is a capped %, so anything can potentially fail no matter how good your odds look compared to the other person.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 am

Cothordin wrote:
Do this several hundred times if not thousands on a target that does not change either its scan or cloaking (with you doing the same), then report the %s of each different type of result. If your still failing 100-80% of the time with these stats, then people are cheating. Failing 2 times when you have a 10% of failing each time is not enough data for substantial proof.

A 10% chance of Failure with an Order of Magnitude advantage is absurd! Thats just a Loop Hole for the DEVs to utilize for CHEATing !

Please have a Blessed day.
:lol:

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:15 am

integrityseeks wrote:
Cothordin wrote:

A 10% chance of Failure with an Order of Magnitude advantage is absurd! Thats just a Loop Hole for the DEVs to utilize for CHEATing !

Please have a Blessed day.
:lol:

I think your joking but I cant tell, so ill run you the numbers. 10%*10% (chance of failing 2 times)=1% or 1/100 times. What your suggesting is that the only way something with a 1% chance of happening can possibly happen out of the thousands of hacks that happen everyday is that Devs are cheating. You do realize that that is perfectly plausible if not going to happen to everyone alteast of few times.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next