View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wiki Categorization 

I've gone through the Wiki, and Fixed most of the formatting to be Unicode compliment (using ''' for bold '' for italic, etc.), and linking all the uncategorized pages to "Category:Uncategorized".

The Wiki is obviously a great place for all players who need to work on strategy, and now it's time to give back to that system, and help us categorize the pages to be more helpful.

If you are interested simply go here: http://galaxylegion.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ategorized

There are a basic set of categories we're looking to add to the pages, pages can and should be members of multiple categories. Eventually we will need to add sub categories as well which is being held int he discussion page for this category.

Also I deleted several hundred pages which are spam and/or dead pages, I think I missed a few pages in this process, if you see one, add [[Category:SPAM]] to that page and I will handle it.

-Q

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Wed May 23, 2012 3:34 pm

How do you delete pages, are you a mod on there ?

Wed May 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Sparky wrote:
How do you delete pages, are you a mod on there ?

Yes, I am a Wiki Admin going on two years.

As a note:

I haven't had much time to devote to the wiki especially in the last 8 months, but I have time now and I'm really trying to get things set to rights.

Currently this is what I am working on:
Unicodization: Completed
adding uncategorized to all non categorized pages: Completed
Removing double re-directs to be single redirects: In Progress
Working through dead-end pages: In Progress
Working through orphaned Pages: Not Started
Deleting SPAM Pages: On-going, as of now I believe we're 99% done there.

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Wed May 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Brilliant. I would just like to thank you and all of those that have put so much work into the wiki. It has been a great service to all of us that play the game.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Wed May 23, 2012 7:30 pm

This is what shows on some of the discussion pages

http://galaxylegion.com/wiki/index.php/Talk:Planets

Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 pm

Sparky wrote:

Please add [[Category:SPAM]] to pages you find like this.

We don't lock discussion pages and it seems spammers may have tried to co-opt that at some point.

Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your contributions. I'll keep this post stickied for a bit, as it makes for a good reference to the progress.

Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 pm

QCubed wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Please add to pages you find like this.

We don't lock discussion pages and it seems spammers may have tried to co-opt that at some point.

you mean write that on the page that is associated with it e.g write [[Category:SPAM]]-discussion section

Fri May 25, 2012 12:12 am

I'm working on it. I've only done a few so far. I'm doing combat at the moment, I say people take on various tasks and get to hit. Within an hour you can get a bunch done, an upwards of a hundred, without distractions. It's pretty simple, just copy the code (for combat, it's
Code:
[[Category:Combat]]
) and then paste it as the last line in the page.

Fri May 25, 2012 12:25 am

f3ar3dlegend wrote:
I'm working on it. I've only done a few so far. I'm doing combat at the moment, I say people take on various tasks and get to hit. Within an hour you can get a bunch done, an upwards of a hundred, without distractions. It's pretty simple, just copy the code (for combat, it's
Code:

For the Win! =)

Fri May 25, 2012 4:12 am

webguydan wrote:
Thanks everyone for your contributions. I'll keep this post stickied for a bit, as it makes for a good reference to the progress.

Thanks Dan & thanks to all who're helping out with the Progress =)

Fri May 25, 2012 4:19 am

After adding [[Category:Name]] to a page it doesn't show it on the page when saved is this meant to happen ?

Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Sparky wrote:
After adding [[Category:Name]] to a page it doesn't show it on the page when saved is this meant to happen ?

Yes, the category coding is hidden unless the wiki administrators make a visible category section, but if you search for "Category:NPCs" (or even just "NPCs") for example, you will see almost all the NPCs have been categorized thus far and are there in one place, etc.

Fri May 25, 2012 9:01 pm
Profile WWW

QCubed wrote:
f3ar3dlegend wrote:
Code:

For the Win! =)

Don't forget to remove the "Uncategorized" tag while you're at it.

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Dave_smith354 wrote:
QCubed wrote:
f3ar3dlegend wrote:
Code:

For the Win! =)

Don't forget to remove the "Uncategorized" tag while you're at it.

that is a great point, and an oversight on my part for not mentioning it! Thanks Dave!

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:51 am

I've found it necessary to create a new category: "Gameplay and Help". This is for pages concerned with introducing new players to central concepts and strategies, especially those which don't easily lend themselves to the other categories (unless they are made members of every single category, which I don't think would be too helpful).

Also, has anyone noticed that the uncategorized pages are no longer showing on the "Let the Great Categorization Begin" page? I know they haven't all been finished yet because I can bring up around 199 from a search.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:57 pm

Dave_smith354 wrote:
I've found it necessary to create a new category: "Gameplay and Help". This is for pages concerned with introducing new players to central concepts and strategies, especially those which don't easily lend themselves to the other categories (unless they are made members of every single category, which I don't think would be too helpful).

Also, has anyone noticed that the uncategorized pages are no longer showing on the "Let the Great Categorization Begin" page? I know they haven't all been finished yet because I can bring up around 199 from a search.

I fixed the uncategorized pages issue yesterday; someone edited the template instead of editing a page they were working on..

the point of concepts category was to be the meta category for all the others, but it shouldn't have too many pages that appear directly under it so if there are many that are help/game/play we may want to push them all under "Strategy" or just leave those new categories you created, whichever seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the help!

~Q

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 am

QCubed wrote:
Dave_smith354 wrote:

I fixed the uncategorized pages issue yesterday; someone edited the template instead of editing a page they were working on..

the point of concepts category was to be the meta category for all the others, but it shouldn't have too many pages that appear directly under it so if there are many that are help/game/play we may want to push them all under "Strategy" or just leave those new categories you created, whichever seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the help!

~Q

There isn't currently a top-level category by the name of "Strategy" (at least, if there is then it isn't listed on the categorization page). If you think that's a better name (and it probably is) then I'll have to create it and move the ones from "Gameplay and help" across (not sure if redirects will work for categories).

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:26 pm

Dave_smith354 wrote:
QCubed wrote:
Dave_smith354 wrote:

~Q

they won't, sorry..
There isn't currently a top-level category by the name of "Strategy" (at least, if there is then it isn't listed on the categorization page). If you think that's a better name (and it probably is) then I'll have to create it and move the ones from "Gameplay and help" across (not sure if redirects will work for categories).

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:01 am

Completely off topic here, but how do I create an account to enable me to do anything on the wiki?

Without an account i can't edit, yet the log-in page has no place to actually click to register for an account, only through messing with the inputs did I get a link to create an account but it says that one must have admin access to create an account.

Is it somehow linked to the forum account or what?

I am trying to join the wiki as I figured out an equation that scales the Kalvium Asteroid Mission NPCs defense perfectly with the data points already provided.

[edit]
GYAG... View Source. oh well i still don't have an account on the wiki.

this is the only page I can come up with that in any way seems like it should be a signup/register page.

http://galaxylegion.com/wiki/index.php/ ... gin/signup

The Prisoner wrote:
You know something's wrong when the Trade Outpost sub-forum has the most interesting topics

Well it was an ill considered idea in the first place.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next