View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How to screw yourself over in-game! 

I just realised something today. Why I've always had such bad luck with planet scans. I don't. Seriously. I have bad luck with getting purger drops from the AP pull. Because of that, I scanned less and it's a downward cycle.

I've always ranked quickly enough that I never have planets that I'm waiting to take (or will rank quickly if I do). It's how I always gauged my ranking. In over 2 years (R260), I've performed a total of 930 scans. I have like, maxed scanning tech. I can't even justify that. Because of my low energy, I often didn't scan until completely grey (which will reduce it severely) but normally until V. Poor, so it'd have very little impact on the number I scanned.

I don't know what the point of this thread is, really. It feels more strategy than pub, so... yeah.

I'm just wondering. Compared to my rank (ignoring playtime for a moment), 930 scans is low, right? And I've had waaaay longer to gather purgers. I can't make sense of it. It's not like I have a large number stored away or low scanning tech. I'm just so utterly confused right now.

Last edited by strm avenger on Thu May 23, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm

what is your APH?

Just curious but did my insanely high amount of scans spur this thread? because I used to be an SSB and so I would upgrade scanners and then only have a "poor" chance of scanning. which is why my number is so crazy crazy high.

once I transitioned from SSB things smoothed out.

Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Kara Thrace wrote:
Just curious but did my insanely high amount of scans spur this thread? because I used to be an SSB and so I would upgrade scanners and then only have a "poor" chance of scanning. which is why my number is so crazy crazy high.

Yes and no. It was the productions, rather than scans. I've known for a looong time that I have a low production for my rank. I've never been able to make sense of why, and I've not really tried all that hard. Blamed it on scanning luck. So I started looking, and I looked at my stats and went, "Wait. I've only done that few scans? Most people scan 200 planets and find maybe 2 of use...".

My AP is like, 6k/hour.

Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 pm

#scans is a really bad comparison due to it being very strategy based. The only way to gauge it is planets scanned ever, and I don't think anyone tracks that...

Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm
Profile WWW

thunderbolta wrote:
#scans is a really bad comparison due to it being very strategy based. The only way to gauge it is planets scanned ever, and I don't think anyone tracks that...

It sounds like you're talking about total scans performed, which is what he is talking about.

Thu May 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Scans Performed =/= Planets Scanned

As in, how many successful scan has that person performed? As opposed to how many scan attempts has someone made.

Thu May 23, 2013 6:13 pm
Profile WWW

thunderbolta wrote:
Scans Performed =/= Planets Scanned

As in, how many successful scan has that person performed? As opposed to how many scan attempts has someone made.

Ah, that clears it up. Although, in this situation it doesn't make a difference.

1) He said he doesn't scan when he has a low chance, so he probably had a fair success rate.

2) I believe that that is a pretty low number of scans, so even if that was the number of planets scanned, it would still provide an explanation to his problem with planets.

Last edited by FerrusManus on Thu May 23, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Only 930 scans? Wow! At rank 106, (after resetting) I already have 1372 scans, and I'm a smallish ship, too....

Thu May 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Scans Performed 3252 almost rank 600 yaa you should scan more best time to fix that is now

Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm

it goes like this:
low APH-->low purger #-->hard to go on another scan run-->bad planets-->low APH
Here are some ways to fix it:
buy GP for project planets
buy planets (possibly via funds that you get by selling limited artifacts, like melter)
freeze rank for a while, so you can purge and therefore scan more planets so you have a better quality of planet "for your rank". Further ranking up will only worsen the problem.

now, hopefully you are at least squeezing as much APH out of the planets you do have, if they are really bad planets DONT DEFEND them, would be better to lose and replace a few than having all pumping out crippled values. Joining a legion with a good AP production will also help greatly(especially with the freeze rank plan)

Thu May 23, 2013 8:34 pm

hmm, guess i've passed you in rank storm.

current rank is 279.

current AP per hour is 10341 with mission exotic and mission dyson.

scans performed 7026 (around 500 of those just yesterday).

current planets on scan 356 (have had as high as 440 with scan power of 4755. note that i only have 404 decks, so i am limited in scan modules.

i had purged down to 302 planets on 19may, scanned up to 333 planets on 20may down to 319 on 22may and back up to 357 yesterday. only purgers from AP pulls.

energy on scan runs was 3114.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu May 23, 2013 10:54 pm
Profile WWW

hey Strm :) Yeah, even ignoring playtime your scans are certainly low for your rank.
And as TB mentions, total successful scans would definitely be a more useful metric, but not available.

Maybe invest in the Purger mission... as you are well aware increasing your AP/hour is a bit of a priority.

Good luck on your next scan run, hope you find a sweet Dyson or two.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:40 pm

One thing you may want to take into account is the higher your scan the better the planets you can see mite be.
Better planets tend to be cloaked more i didnt get any 15x mega riches until i was rank 150 and running over 4k scan. My last scan run was at rank 300 with 7k scan and i found a max a 15x 11x and an 8x toxic. Two 15x plasmas in 500+ scans so as scan gets high your odds will improve.

Fri May 24, 2013 3:58 am

just re-read the OP and noticed this comment:

strm avenger wrote:
Because of my low energy, I often didn't scan until completely grey (which will reduce it severely) but normally until V. Poor, so it'd have very little impact on the number I scanned.

"very poor" only indicates that more energy will generally be required for the next successful scan, but has nothing to do with what you can scan. i have scanned 3 planets in 3 attempts in a row even at 'very poor'. i have scanned some very nice planets just before the scan button greyed out. so having enough energy to make a decent run of it can be useful, with the caveat that you will spend more time purging in between runs.

from the wiki: http://galaxylegion.com/wiki/index.php/ ... s_Per_Scan

my bane ally is now at rank 88 and i will likely do one more scan run early in june to get the rest of the target planets to max it out (no footballs required). i HAVE spent GP to abandon planets, both for the bane and to boost my planet production ratio by dumping my least-performing planets.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Fri May 24, 2013 6:29 am
Profile WWW

@Senator, nice Bane! You will continue to be a terror with that ally at your rank. hahah

@Op, gotta get that energy bar up and you gotta scan til grey. I have tried it both ways. Even this past Wed, I was literally about to stop scanning for the day, but I had 7 more purgers. I said screw it, burn them up, and scanned down to the grey again. It yielded me a Dyson! It was just a 15x arti, but it was still a Dyson on my last few attempts that I would have missed if I tried to horde those 7 purgers.

Scan to the grey bro.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:19 pm

So. I did a scan run to the grey. I purged 100 planets before scanning. I then scanned 158. A couple worth taking.

My before scan count was 930. Now I'm at 2154. Slight difference.

*sigh* Only takes 2 years to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but hey ho.

Sun May 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Scans Performed 14734

Ehhe.

Rank 608.

Sun May 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Scans Performed 10357

Rank 854 atm.

Yung's Trading Post

Mon May 27, 2013 12:17 pm
Profile WWW

I had pathetically small scan numbers for the longest time. Even now under 10k scans when my peers are 20 - 30k

All the scanning i could do couldn't find good planets. I was able to pick up a few small Terra's from some friends for doing trading for them and just generally being helpful in legion. Even this help was getting me no where fast.

I asked my legion leaders what to do and they said auto rank and here is how to do it and this is the price you're gonna pay but you won't care when your ap/h is growing faster than you thought it could.

That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Work on missions to get more scanners.
Add some engineers and make purgers.
Trade trade buy planets and trade.
Try even low chance invades on good planets.

Rank 853
Almost 70x rank in ap
9.2k scans and I do not scan to gray.

ICBLF wrote:
to be honest, I was rooting for you even while eating KVTs

Mon May 27, 2013 2:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next