View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 How much planet cloak is enough planet cloak? 

Simple question really: How much planetary cloak do you think is enough, for them to be 'safe'?

I have been trying to get the planets I want to keep to 30K, but is this enough? Too much?

Cheers

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Alumni of the Crimson Lances and Lords of Infinity

Rank 971, Strict SSB,Possibly the jazziest ship in the universe

Sat May 31, 2014 9:36 pm

22K is close to enough, 24K is really close to enough...

Sat May 31, 2014 9:43 pm

ICBLF wrote:
22K is close to enough, 24K is really close to enough...

Really? I honestly thought max scan was up around 33K so had been working on you need to be over that to be truly safe.

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Sat May 31, 2014 9:47 pm

30k will stop people who have already used their protogrids. You cant pass 30k without them. More commonly repeatable max scan probably sits in the 24-26k range. But very few people can get there, as it usually requires GP recharge. 20-24k is typical for endgame scanners

Click below to join us and we will rise together!

Sat May 31, 2014 9:50 pm

TrinityThree wrote:
30k will stop people who have already used their protogrids. You cant pass 30k without them. More commonly repeatable max scan probably sits in the 24-26k range. But very few people can get there, as it usually requires GP recharge. 20-24k is typical for endgame scanners

Aah right, cheers for the info. Made sure I held onto at least one of my protogrids so I can do a max scan run when I am big enough.

Sat May 31, 2014 9:58 pm

umbongo wrote:
Really? I honestly thought max scan was up around 33K so had been working on you need to be over that to be truly safe.

It's diminishing returns on both sides though, so I don't worry about the occasional truly maxed scanner. Chances of any single planet scan scanning one of my good planets even if it's uncloaked are slim. Chances of someone running over 24K of scan are slim. They don't gain a lot odds-wise by really maxing their scanning power, and I don't gain a lot protection-wise by defending against it.

I guess it comes down to the two words you chose in your first post and your follow-up. "Enough" - for me, 22K+ is enough to feel safe. "Truly safe" - well then, assuming cloak isn't broken at all, then based on the maxed scan thread you need over 29k cloak, but since it may need updates, then 33K doesn't sound unreasonable for "truly safe" (but, worth repeating, in my opinion it does not have a sufficient payoff).

Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:45 pm

All of the cloak.

The Prisoner wrote:
You know something's wrong when the Trade Outpost sub-forum has the most interesting topics

Well it was an ill considered idea in the first place.

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:15 pm

ICBLF wrote:
I guess it comes down to the two words you chose in your first post and your follow-up. "Enough" - for me, 22K+ is enough to feel safe. "Truly safe" - well then, assuming cloak isn't broken at all, then based on the maxed scan thread you need over 29k cloak, but since it may need updates, then 33K doesn't sound unreasonable for "truly safe" (but, worth repeating, in my opinion it does not have a sufficient payoff).
That's about how I look at it. I have had 2 nice arti planets and a decent PP Farm crit-hacked... but have only had one planet over 17k cloak ever pick up a scan.

For "nice" planets, currently shoot for 23k... for "really nice" shoot for 27k. Not utterly invisible, but even people with high scan will have low odds on locking it. I found myself neurotically flux-probing my "invisible" planets almost every day, anyway (while ignoring good planets with 10-20k cloak for weeks :? ), so why not give myself a reason to engage in such behavior? Plus, all the extra NPCing required to push it higher just isn't worth it to me (recognize the value/importance of NPCs, just enjoy other aspects of the game far more). When confidence wavers, I tell myself that somebody locking a planet at 27k cloak is (currently) about as likely as having it crit-hacked or Titancore Dataed, anyway.

Check back to see what I tell myself after somebody scans one of my favorite not-quite-invisible planets!

:eek:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:18 am

Unless its an explorer they aren't even going to hit 20k

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]