View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Massive Amounts of Artifact Production = Ok to Fast Rank? 

Many people out in the galaxy know how to increase artifact production immensly very quickly, but does that mean they are efficient enough to fast rank?

Some of them even have artifact planets ready to be colonized as well for their next colonization, so would it be reasonable to rank up quickly to grab the possibly very good planets they have prepared to colonize?

What's wrong with auto/fast ranking when these possibly very good, prepared planets are ready to be colonized?

Should people just work on the planets they have before colonizing these planets they have in their planetary scans or just move on to the next possibly good planet ready to be colonized?

For example: Someone might be rank 100 and have around 15k artifact production per hour. Should they have the option of auto ranking or just keep working on the planets they have?

However, some people are unable to get planets from scan runs and that raises the question if they should not auto rank and slow rank until they are able to find a planet through another atempt at a scan run. Or they probably can't seem to find an efficient planet through merchanting and trading and can't auto rank because they don't have planets ready to be colonized.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:26 am

Another issue to consider is think of that rank 100 with 15k AP. Thats 26 planets. WHat type of planets are these that he has?
This implies each AP planet must be making about 700-800 AP. Something like that takes time to defend, and time to build up.
I typically wont build such a planet until I have all the resources to do so in one go, to guarantee the planet cant get stolen.
Cloak comes first, which comes a little slow, especially for a lower rank like me. Until the cloak is ready, a prospective max arti planet will not be made.
Then comes the uplifters. These take the same, if not longer, to acquire than the cloak.
And even once its created, it takes an investment of time and energy (and/or ctp) to optimize planetary slots.
You can either make the choice to max out each slot, or open many slots and take whatever is "good enough". Most people fall between these two extremes.

Since NPCing is the fastest way to build up planets, you will typically end up autoranking later on anyways.
If you have a decent artifact production, your ranking from NPCing open up slots just about fast enough for you to fill it with either a new project, a juicy planet from a scan run, or a gem of a legion ffa planet.

Also keep in mind, it gets harder and harder to improve a planet as you add to it. Content is released slowly in this game, and inevitably, your progress is going to slow to a crawl. Once you have built a planet to your satisfaction, theres nothing wrong with opening another slot to start anew on another planet.

If you have to make the next planet, Id wait and spend my time preparing. Autorank if necessary to farm TFs, etc. But if the planet is ready made sitting in my database, of course Id rank up to take it. Its pre-made and built, might as well say hi to a free maxed planet. Theres also the issue that the longer a juicy planet stays in your database, the higher the chance the owner will notice and flux it.

Click below to join us and we will rise together!

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 am

No good reason to rank up unless you have a decent artifact planet to put in the slots you opened up.

If your intent is to have the largest artifact production in the shortest time period possible then leapfrogging is the ideal tactic. Short version is fill all your plant slots with artifact planets so that you are getting as many purgers as possible. When you have no planet slots left and you scan up a good planet you abandon your worst and take the better one.

Downside is your production will soon outstrip your storage so most of your effort will be spent on creating safe storage planets.

How fast you rank up really depends on how willing you are to spend Gcash and how crappy a planet you are willing to keep in your slots. No good reason to have empty slots unless you are determined never to spend Gcash. Autoranking is a terrible idea under any circumstance i can think of as long as you have one planet slot to fill.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 am

I fast ranked with ok production and an average ship. I could hold my own against similar ranks.

Now I can solo kill entire legions and toss 2 million damage at a base with 100k defense in 1 to 2 hours no problem.
I can wake up and decide to kill every IC ship I find on my BT that isn't halcd.

Auto ranking off NPCs has made my ship completely worthless. I should have slow ranked and be rank 500 with a SSB that takes 200 hits to kill so I can laugh at people when they try to kill me then maybe I can take their hacks later.

That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Check the ship log showdown, Taylor swift seems to be doing alright with fast ranking. As well as many others. Sure the ssbs take more hits to disable, but the high energy ships couldn't care less.
Also ask yourself, will you be growing stronger at rank 500 with 30 k arti an hour and carefully maxing each planet and wasting time. Or gaining more strength at rank 1500 with 100 k an hour and gaining a minimum of a few hundred points a day?
Having watched the slow rank ssb growth of a lot of players, I find it laughable at how weak they are. And all the players who wait to build a planet until the can max cloak it. What a waste of time.

With as many maxed planets you'll eventually have and steal, cloaking all of them is impossible. I probe my planets often and dont bother defending anything less then massive, even if its maxed.

It boils down to this. Do you want a super safe planet list and have a stockpile of terraformers, or do you want thousands more for production and maybe lose a planet or two, but still be ahead of where you would be with your safe planet production.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm

To be fair, 30k at 500 is not exactly that impressive, nor is 100k at 1500.
I expect 45-50x rank to be average for around the 500 mark, and 65-70x rank to be average for the 1k+ mark.

Trying comparing something more like a well built 500 with 40-50k AP to your average rank 1000 with around 70k AP. And they have different goals as a slow ranker/SSB anyways when you compare to an autoranker, so it's not that simple. Sure the gap is still there, and the rank 1k will be forever stronger. But the whole point of slow ranking is once you feel that you can rank to 1k, youll be smashing everything up around you.

Slow ranking revolves entirely around sucking up all the chances the game has to offer at a given moment, before moving forward to repeat that process again. Some people just enjoy playing the game that way. Some times it makes no sense, sometimes it has some validity. For me, I slow rank typically because I have certain strength goals I want to meet, and because picking up badges are a joke when Im in the rank 100s rather than the rank 1000s. I can still contribute to my legion. Minus singlehandedly destroying bases or doing every single LM, I still am willing to lock, still manage to do 1/3 of the LMs, pass out artis, give what I believe are good ffa alerts, my abandoned "garbage" (typically terras) up for grabs, coordinating battlegroup activity, passing on knowledge I can share and generally keeping the legion together. Is my progress impeded by my slow ranking habits? Probably, but I dare say I tried very hard to minimize that issue. If you slow rank, you probably already know you will never grow as fast as those that speed past you in an effort to get to autoranking ability / farming TFs.

Click below to join us and we will rise together!

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:54 pm

geez ... only 3 forum posts and already coming out swinging ..

Azalin159 wrote:
Check the ship log showdown, Taylor swift seems to be doing alright with fast ranking. As well as many others. Sure the ssbs take more hits to disable, but the high energy ships couldn't care less.

i am glad someone besides the contributors is paying attention to the showdown ...

Azalin159 wrote:
Also ask yourself, will you be growing stronger at rank 500 with 30 k arti an hour and carefully maxing each planet and wasting time. Or gaining more strength at rank 1500 with 100 k an hour and gaining a minimum of a few hundred points a day?

ask yourself what is the point of gaining all that strength when you start to lose access to PvP and then good NPCs ? if there is one lesson i have learned in nearly a decade (!) of facebook and online gaming ... never rank faster than the content available !

Azalin159 wrote:
Having watched the slow rank ssb growth of a lot of players, I find it laughable at how weak they are.

me, i am enjoying the game, so any time i spend on it, i do not consider a waste at all. my planet slots are full and i am working on the elite medal. can i take out every ship on my battle tab yet ? nope, but at least i still HAVE PvP targets.

Azalin159 wrote:
And all the players who wait to build a planet until the can max cloak it. What a waste of time. ... It boils down to this. Do you want a super safe planet list and have a stockpile of terraformers, or do you want thousands more for production and maybe lose a planet or two, but still be ahead of where you would be with your safe planet production.

as for building up production faster ... i am already capping arti production in just over 8 hours ... so getting thousands more AP/hr will just go to waste at the moment until i line up some more storage planets ... and of course, i prefer to max out the cloak on those before popping the warehouses onto them. life (and Galaxy Legion) aint a race.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:37 pm
Profile WWW

I find it much more satisfying to kill rank 1500+ and rolling them for 6k arti raids.

You haven't lived until you've gone on a pony ride and walked away with a critical raid of 15k minerals.

I HAVE PvP targets and I can kill far more of them than the slow rankers can because I'm not concerned with ranking.
1 rank spent today from killing every ship from *insert top 10 legion* = wheeeeeeeeee

Rank as fast as you want, don't let anyone tell you to slow rank because you'll be weak and unable to PvP or NPC or whatever. There is nothing the slow rankers can do that I can't do except kill low ranks I simply can't find on my BT.

That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Tree7304 wrote:
I find it much more satisfying to kill rank 1500+ and rolling them for 6k arti raids.

You haven't lived until you've gone on a pony ride and walked away with a critical raid of 15k minerals.

oh i have definitely enjoyed the crit.raids i have made on those over rank 1k, no argument there.

Tree7304 wrote:
I HAVE PvP targets and I can kill far more of them than the slow rankers can because I'm not concerned with ranking.
1 rank spent today from killing every ship from *insert top 10 legion* = wheeeeeeeeee

Rank as fast as you want, don't let anyone tell you to slow rank because you'll be weak and unable to PvP or NPC or whatever. There is nothing the slow rankers can do that I can't do except kill low ranks I simply can't find on my BT.

i agree with 'rank as fast as you want', but there are always trade.offs. heck, i ranked up 3 times in 15 minutes earlier this week (Ancient != lethargic). it allowed me to meet an objective (gave me a planet slot to take something i had just scanned, got me some nice shiny scan mods, etc.) but i have not ranked in the 3 days since to recover my vigour. it all depends on what goals you have ... and since each of us have different goals, we each have a different value for the 'appropriate' ranking speed ... which is the way it should be.

me, i plan on having t.o. troop carriers in my NPC pool for many years yet. the 'meat' of the game is currently situated around the rank 500-1500 range. if that ever changes, i will re.position myself accordingly.

_____________Image

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:24 pm
Profile WWW

No, but also Yes.

I have in no way provided an unhelpful response to the question posed. Good Day.

The Prisoner wrote:
You know something's wrong when the Trade Outpost sub-forum has the most interesting topics

Well it was an ill considered idea in the first place.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:03 pm

It takes the same amount of experience to reach rank 2201 and lose troop carriers no matter how fast or slow you rank. As long as you restrict yourself to ranking almost exclusively from npcing, the path to true power in this game is fast ranking. More planet slots and more terraformers means more production which means more purgers which leads to better invasions. Spending 3-4 years sitting on meaninglessly low numbers of production just to be more powerful relative to other equally worthless low rank ships who did the same is pointless.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 pm

maxer wrote:
It takes the same amount of experience to reach rank 2201 and lose troop carriers no matter how fast or slow you rank. As long as you restrict yourself to ranking almost exclusively from npcing, the path to true power in this game is fast ranking. More planet slots and more terraformers means more production which means more purgers which leads to better invasions. Spending 3-4 years sitting on meaninglessly low numbers of production just to be more powerful relative to other equally worthless low rank ships who did the same is pointless.

this statement is both true and false at the same time.
the number of xp to get to rank 2201 is the same true
but getting their faster does not increase the amount of planets gained, only the tempo at which they are gained
now factor in what somone who is slow ranking correctly does :
gains project planets > turns them into something truly worth while
a ) sells project planets for CTP to be used for - insert reason -.
b ) keeps project planet and it becomes a very worth while addition to their pool
slow rank player enjoys a higher production yeild at lower rank, when done in short stints the effect can be negligable, however for extended period of time, and if done correctly you can achieve a high ( I say this with respect to rank observations ) resource recursion.

Opposite perspective :
You rank fast, keep your ship normalized based on strength / growth of those around you.
your planet slots open quicker, at this point you have some options :
a ) get planets you deem acceptable as you find them
b ) hold your planet slots open till you find something worth while ( i would assume typical for rank 1500+ due to colonization / invasion costs )
c ) use CTP garnered to buy good planets from other players

Does not make your productions better for doing either one, as you have choices either way you go. The slow ranker of course has option c) to buy planets using CTP but they cannot do it as often or have as much as the fast ranker, though interestingly enough I have found that the lower tier NPC items scrap fora greater amount of CTP than their more advanced counterparts, which i still dont understand. Either way its the choices we make in the playstyle that we choose that determines how well we do in this game, their is no right vs wrong answer, we - speaking for slow rankers - simply decide to remove ourselves from the equation, so to speak, when playing the game, that way when we rejoin the populace of our peers - speaking of time played - we do so at a different ship status than what they had achieved at the same rank value.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:13 pm

elerian wrote:
maxer wrote:

this statement is both true and false at the same time.
the number of xp to get to rank 2201 is the same true
but getting their faster does not increase the amount of planets gained, only the tempo at which they are gained
now factor in what somone who is slow ranking correctly does :
gains project planets > turns them into something truly worth while
a ) sells project planets for CTP to be used for - insert reason -.
b ) keeps project planet and it becomes a very worth while addition to their pool
slow rank player enjoys a higher production yeild at lower rank, when done in short stints the effect can be negligable, however for extended period of time, and if done correctly you can achieve a high ( I say this with respect to rank observations ) resource recursion.

Opposite perspective :
You rank fast, keep your ship normalized based on strength / growth of those around you.
your planet slots open quicker, at this point you have some options :
a ) get planets you deem acceptable as you find them
b ) hold your planet slots open till you find something worth while ( i would assume typical for rank 1500+ due to colonization / invasion costs )
c ) use CTP garnered to buy good planets from other players

Does not make your productions better for doing either one, as you have choices either way you go. The slow ranker of course has option c) to buy planets using CTP but they cannot do it as often or have as much as the fast ranker, though interestingly enough I have found that the lower tier NPC items scrap fora greater amount of CTP than their more advanced counterparts, which i still dont understand. Either way its the choices we make in the playstyle that we choose that determines how well we do in this game, their is no right vs wrong answer, we - speaking for slow rankers - simply decide to remove ourselves from the equation, so to speak, when playing the game, that way when we rejoin the populace of our peers - speaking of time played - we do so at a different ship status than what they had achieved at the same rank value.

1) Gaining more planet slots does make your production better.
2) Fast ranking ships have project planets just like slow ranking ships do.
3) NPCing leads to fast ranking but one gains more ctp and more TFs than not npcing.
4) Getting to 2201 by NPCing does increase the speed at which planets are gained because higher production leads to more purgers. And fast ranking through NPCing always leads to higher productions.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:43 pm

or you can set yourself to auto rank off of the purger mission and do nothint but buy / trade for EM and not NPC at all, and gain levels at a marginal pace
see i can do it to

there are several ways to play the game, which is why this discussion exists, as i said their is no right or wrong way, you get the same number of planet slots no matter how you play, its just at the rate you get them at. And if you leave your planet slots open, then its not like your using them in the first place.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:26 pm

elerian wrote:
or you can set yourself to auto rank off of the purger mission and do nothint but buy / trade for EM and not NPC at all, and gain levels at a marginal pace
see i can do it to

there are several ways to play the game, which is why this discussion exists, as i said their is no right or wrong way, you get the same number of planet slots no matter how you play, its just at the rate you get them at. And if you leave your planet slots open, then its not like your using them in the first place.

The original question was not about what the most fun way to play the game is. Something like that is obviously subjective.

The question was about when someone should fast rank based on available production. The answer to that is that someone should always fast rank (through NPCing) if the goal is to increase production at the fastest possible rate. Whether or not such a play style is fun is neither being asked nor answered here.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:35 pm

maxer wrote:
The question was about when someone should fast rank based on available production. The answer to that is that someone should always fast rank (through NPCing) if the goal is to increase production at the fastest possible rate. Whether or not such a play style is fun is neither being asked nor answered here.

no, the original question was whether or not it made sense to rank up when they had a planet scanned that they wanted to take and had no open planet slots. if they were not willing to abandon one of their existing planets to free up a slot, then yes, it makes sense to speed.rank up until a planet slot opens, else they risk losing the planet to a flux. that DOES NOT mean that it is generally accepted good policy to speed.rank at all times. if you have dozens of open planet slots .. speed.ranking to open up more planet slots makes zero sense.

_____________Image

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:25 pm
Profile WWW

senatorhung wrote:
maxer wrote:

no, the original question was whether or not it made sense to rank up when they had a planet scanned that they wanted to take and had no open planet slots. if they were not willing to abandon one of their existing planets to free up a slot, then yes, it makes sense to speed.rank up until a planet slot opens, else they risk losing the planet to a flux. that DOES NOT mean that it is generally accepted good policy to speed.rank at all times. if you have dozens of open planet slots .. speed.ranking to open up more planet slots makes zero sense.

I read what the OP wrote as a question about whether or not a person should be ranking to get more planets. Not whether or not someone should rank for one specific planet. I did not see him ask about any one particular planet.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Ludis wrote:
Many people out in the galaxy know how to increase artifact production immensly very quickly, but does that mean they are efficient enough to fast rank?

Some of them even have artifact planets ready to be colonized as well for their next colonization, so would it be reasonable to rank up quickly to grab the possibly very good planets they have prepared to colonize?

What's wrong with auto/fast ranking when these possibly very good, prepared planets are ready to be colonized?

Should people just work on the planets they have before colonizing these planets they have in their planetary scans or just move on to the next possibly good planet ready to be colonized?

For example: Someone might be rank 100 and have around 15k artifact production per hour. Should they have the option of auto ranking or just keep working on the planets they have?

However, some people are unable to get planets from scan runs and that raises the question if they should not auto rank and slow rank until they are able to find a planet through another atempt at a scan run. Or they probably can't seem to find an efficient planet through merchanting and trading and can't auto rank because they don't have planets ready to be colonized.

I don't really care. "Efficiency" is nice, but ultimately, just do what is fun for you.

Yes, if your goal is having a strong ship, it's a bad idea to rank 100 times in a week with low production and no plan. But if you've got decent production, having some planet slots open isn't gonna kill you. In fact, unless you just have a sick amount of credits in the coffer and think nothing of spending 5 GP to drop your "meh" planets every time something better comes along, you're gonna eventually have some open slots, and more as you reach higher ranks.

I know this is an extreme example, but Shockwave has 924 open planet slots... you think he's flying around in a glass bucket?

----

Anyway, if you want to max every planet and rank once every 5 days, as long as it holds your attention and you enjoy it, go for it.

Be aware that others are going to resent you. Many legions will be annoyed that you only tap bases, that you only choose legion mission that give zero or minimal experience (if you do them at all), and that you only seem to hit "choice" shared NPCs. And even if you're friendly and not a bully, PVP opponents will think you're an obnoxious, overcompensating twit.

And if you want to rank 10 times a day, as long as it holds your attention and you enjoy it, go for it.

Be aware that unless you have fantastic AP, you'll likely be weak for your rank; be aware that you could rank yourself out of some nice content and fun ways of interacting with your legion mates.

IMO, being too extreme in either category doesn't sound like very much fun to me personally, but as long as others are having fun with what they're doing and know what they're getting themselves into, it's their game to play :)

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:49 pm

maxer wrote:

the question addressed actually was **should** people fast / auto rank when they have bad productions, or **should** they slow rank and try their luck at building up planets, both however are subjective questions, which lead to subjective and seemlingly off topic answers.

its really something that a player needs to decide for themselves really, anyone able to log into the fourms can find several suggestions for how to go about doing stuff, and possible ideas that they hadnt thought of or their legion just hadnt suggested - had they bothered to ask.

but to answer the orginal post from my own perspective, and what ive learned from people in / out of legion :

Ludis wrote:

Some of them even have artifact planets ready to be colonized as well for their next colonization, so would it be reasonable to rank up quickly to grab the possibly very good planets they have prepared to colonize? - that very much depends on what the artifact planet is honesly, a regular very large very ich planet, no. a massive 2x mega rich gaia, again no. a 15x mega rich large terra, maybe, if you have a flux and can cloak it, they yea go for it.

What's wrong with auto/fast ranking when these possibly very good, prepared planets are ready to be colonized? - nothing, if you have a miracle scan run, then take full advantage of it before the probe their planets, go ape !@#$. If you however have the means to rapidly uplift a regular old colonizable planet then i would question why you have not already done so with a planet you already have control over.

Should people just work on the planets they have before colonizing these planets they have in their planetary scans or just move on to the next possibly good planet ready to be colonized? - personal opinion, I look for project planets ( found 2 on my last scan run both of a transformaion type ( desert / volcanic / etc.. ) that have both stealth screen and sub caverns. They are both very large but resource wise, shat planets, so likely either the person is hangin on to them for the same reason, or just does not want to purge them yet. but back to my answer, I do projects in order that I obtain them, I still take the planets but I recognize it is time spent before they are worth while, should people do it this way, no, but its the way that works for me.

For example: Someone might be rank 100 and have around 15k artifact production per hour. Should they have the option of auto ranking or just keep working on the planets they have? - purply personal opinion, however if I had 15k APH at rank 100 ( i think i only had about 5k, dont honestly remember though ) I would probably move forward alot faster than I have, because for somone to have 15k APH at rank 100 there are only 2 options that comes to mind : 1) SSB, and had some nice stuff handed to them - because lets face it noone on their first run through doing stuff on their own has this, or 2) a player you reset their ship back to rank 1 but kept their planets, which i can only assume they did this to be a monster in the PvP arena at low ranks, as they certainly didnt do it for the challenge of resetting.

However, some people are unable to get planets from scan runs and that raises the question if they should not auto rank and slow rank until they are able to find a planet through another atempt at a scan run. Or they probably can't seem to find an efficient planet through merchanting and trading and can't auto rank because they don't have planets ready to be colonized. scanning planets are very VERY much luck of the draw, I have seen uncolonized 17x arti planets with rings pop up in DoR, and of course all the other crap that the universe poops out too. Now this last bit is a good point because any good legion has a facebook page, and any HELPFUL legion mate will typically post planets they found on their scan run, on our FB page I have it broken down by resrouce type, the overall attack / defense, and planets i found that would make outstanding projects ( stealth screens on toxics / gases / deserts, etc.. ) so if you cant find a planet chances are somone in your legion does have 10 or more they can hand you, without going through the hassle of a trade market, and bartering over legion loyalty.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:57 pm

People need to realize that the strength to rank ratio is completely meaningless... pure strength (e.g. your ship total attack) and a lowish damage cap is what matters in this game (specially considering how the pvp system works). The first one you get it by increasing your APH; the second one, by learning to prioritize the modules you use (my ship size was always based on the scanning modules available for me).

Slow / Freeze ranking is never going to make you stronger, period... it's like a 15 years old bully staying in kindergarten in purpose so he can feel stronger than the small kids around him :P

Advocating slow ranking on a game that needs active players, and new players that are not intimidated by those useless slow rankers (which are good for nothing but having a good strength to rank ratio number - and bullying new players :P) is not a good idea.

So yer... fast rank is fine if you are doing it to increase your APH. If the players around your rank have better ships, that means they have been playing longer, or have been more active during the time they have been around.

For the record... I started playing around 971 days ago, and I have gained an average of 3.12 ranks per day (mostly from NPCing). In terms of ship strength, I think I'm doing fine (I caught up in strength with good players who started more than a year before me... which was my goal to begin with). I do have empty planet slots (around 210), but that has never stopped me from ranking (just made sure to always have planets to terraform, or went on a scan spree if not... :))

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next