View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Is there a downside to a small ship build? 

Billik wrote:
From a recruiting standpoint I'm wary of the SSB, as the main advantage to the class is the ability to be hard to kill I don't see that on it's own as a benefit to my legion. You need to ramp up the AP early on in order to overcome the loss of stat values that modules provide.

As someone who recently started playing, as of last May, I have to point out that some people play SSB to avoid being a punching bag. Any good legion will advise players not to add a ton of decks if they want to avoid being disabled regularly. Until rank 490 I had a pure SSB ship, I have ranked more than twice/day and have completed 30 legion missions. As someone who does PvP I have been more willing to scan for bases than a lot of higher ranked players who stay halc'd all the time. From a recruiting standpoint, someone who is SSB likes to be hard to kill because they like to PvP, at a minimum that means someone who is a little more likely to be able to scan a base for your legion. Because I started recently I can point out that the stat values of anything but maximum researched defense is worthless as far as defense/deck. I was under rank 30 the last time I used researched attack modules. SSB's at low rank can get along okay, rank fairly fast and invade 150 to 200 ap/hr planets without too much trouble. Then again, I didn't choose SSB because I wanted to be a jerk or because I wanted to progress slowly, I chose it because I prefer my kills to be a multiple of my deaths and not the other way around. Already my attack from Tactical Officers far exceeds my ship modules, the same for defense and energy. Adding decks for ship modules that provide benefits derived from artifact production looks less and less attractive the more I play. I can see only having decks for scan, cloak and % boost modules at some point, and I've only been playing GL for 7 months.

My point is that a new player that's willing to read how combat works and pay attention may be SSB and still not be a complete leech on your legion. It may be a matter of choice or it may be a matter of not having shipbots to increase decks and not willing to waste rank points. It's certainly worthwhile to consider low to mid-ranked SSB players if only for the fact that they've paid attention to the game mechanics enough to understand how it works and enjoy the game inside those parameters. If your legion only recruits ranks 1k+, it may be a different story.

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2