View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Big Scan Blitz or Smaller Frequent Scan runs? 

As part of my rank goals, I'm trying to increase my arti/hr, and honestly, my scan runs have been terrible lately. I'm a MSB build with 1400 decks available to me, and can all of the scan mods available at my rank (Rank 387). With all the hours I've been working, I've turned into a snail speed ranker, and mostly just collect resources during the week, and play on the weekends. I've been saving up Star Chart purgers, and recently used all 360 and I did a scan blitz, and I got basically nothing. Two unoccupied decent planets, a terra and an exotic, but otherwise I've had no luck with scan blitzes since day 1, and I'm getting close to my two year medal.

In your experience, is it better to do one massive scan blitz or multiple, more frequent smaller scan runs? I do utilize UST, and at this point can get around 9k scan. I'm not expecting to find 22x Gaias or Oceanics, but a few 2x-3x MR terras would be nice.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:12 am

once you get to a certain rank, you can no longer pick up Stryll Seeker (Uses Left: 708) form NPC's
so what I usealy do is scan as many planets as posible when I use one of them, to make each one of them count for as mutch as posible

and that includes saving up a few 100 purgers so I can scan 500+ planets in 1 go
and always try to time it so I can do a scan blitz like that when we need it for a legion mission

if you just want to get some planets, as far as I can tell theire isnt mutch difrence betwen scanning 10 planets pr day for 20 days, or doing 200 planets in 1 go
that just comes down to pure luck and what the RNG wants to give you

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:23 am

IDK, but I always scan til grey. My results lately have been pretty poor as well. Typically I save up until I have a couple hundred purgers, purge as much as I can, then scan til I can scan no more. I waste a lot of energy this way since many, many of my scans find nothing, but energy isn't usually an issue for me.

IDK why I do it this way; it's just the way I've always scanned. The thought of gutting my ship of everything else more often so I can fit all my scan mods is just not appealing to me. I suppose that's due to the clunky interface/procedure for swapping mods (and a good dose of just plain old laziness).

One thought....if poor scan runs when you scan a lot of planets is disheartening how is it going to seem when you do smaller runs? If you find no good planets out of a couple hundred how likely/often will you find something good if you are only scanning a few planets at a time?

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:23 am

It all depends on how many planet slots you have open.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:44 am
Profile WWW

i have done both the wait / purge / massive scan run with max scan available ... and the mini scan run of maybe 50-150 planets.

as Roku said, the number of planet slots you have open can be a factor. when i only have 1 or 2 slots to fill, smaller scan runs work better as you just scan until you find 1 or 2 planets worth taking. when you have more open planet slots, a bigger scan run is usually better.

for me, it also depends on whether or not a scan run might help complete a legion mission task. in that case, i would go for a scan run long enough to complete the mission task, which is usually between the mini scan run and the max.

the issue for you at your rank / arti production is that purgers are much harder to come by than at my rank / arti production. so if you stick to massive scan runs (as i did when i was your rank) ... you don't scan very often. so this encourages you to rank more slowly, otherwise you build up tons of planet slots that sit unfilled for months. a large number of open planet slots tends to drive one to want to scan sooner than ideal for max scan runs (i.e. after purging EVERYTHING you don't want) and you usually end up with sub.optimal results.

that said, at your rank, i never got even close to 9k scan, so you might just be having a bad run at the RNG. this would be another reason to go on larger scan runs, as the longer you scan at a particular time, the better the chance that the 'bad' run of the RNG switches gears. this is less likely if you just go on bunches of small scan runs which all might miss the 'good' window.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:30 am
Profile WWW

In fairness, you did scan an exotic, so the RNG cant be as bad as your whining. What do you expect - there are almost 9 million planets in the galaxy, a lot of them are awful. You scanned the second rarest planet and are complaining about a scan run? wierd - i have had scan runs of 300 or so when i didnt even see anything above ER and only rare planet was Oceanic, and I'mm sure everyone else has too.

But as AvatarRoku says, as you dont really want enemy occupied planets that you want to invade if you dont have the slots to take them.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:51 am

Location: The Dark Justice or quite possibly flux jacking your planets :)
Interesting. I haven't been keeping numbers (but should off) over the last year I've switched away from massive 600/700 planet scan runs to smaller batches 25-50, based on the fact I personally believe that the scan rating has something to do with quality of planet than you scan.
When I do a small run with good + chance I've always found something worth occupying or taking. But when as soon as it drops to fair or worse that's when I tend to find rubbish. Also smaller batches mean if one day if I get unlucky then in a few days time I can have another crack at it.

Signature created by Necromancer

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:30 am

I found my dyson at Very Poor :P

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:30 pm

Spock for Captain wrote:
I found my dyson at Very Poor :P

So did I.. Infact, 3 planets after my dyson, my scan button was greyed out.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:04 pm
Profile WWW

I think its super random. I just did a run adding several hundred planets and best find was a 2x res world. Someone else I knew found a res dyson doing a bane rank up scan (1 click).

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah I guess I got an exotic, but honestly yeah it was VL, but it was 8x MR mining, and very rich arti. I did end up using a bunch of tributes to get some arti, but it's not like it was stellar. I used to get a LOT of terras, but it seems like my luck is pretty bad lately. So no not whinning, just trying to see what the better scan methods are, and what most people use. I'll have to try going for more frequent ones and see if it makes a difference. I do have a handful of planet slots open, and I've been trying to fill them to no avail.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:50 pm

Well, i don't know your situation, or how many open slots you have...but to others i've recommended taking some farming worlds that you might not otherwsie desire. Downside is obviously if you later don't want them, plus cost, but hate to have more than a half dozen open slots wasting away rather than making something for you. Other idea might be to make/steal max mining planets. EM being what it is, you can at least benefit that way and always sell EM for ctp or other usseful things.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:03 pm

I tend to have pretty poor scan results all the time. Doesn't matter if I scan 50 or 600+. Scan till button is greyed out or not.

At MOST, I'll find one or two terras worth taking, sometimes occupied, sometimes unoccupied, several 16x toxics (which I don't need btw), and two or three 15x+ plasmas (which I also don't need).

Other than that, I'll find MAYBE one 5x artie enemy occupied planet. That's with scanning 600+ planets. Never found anything better that was even remotely feasible for me to take, and nothing better than 5x in over a year. Which would be several thousand planets.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:27 am

You have incredibly poor luck. In discussions with teammates, who have scanned no less than 7 dysons over the last year , as well as a large number of 15-22x arti worlds.....I considered my luck poor. In last year (10k scans) I found 4 15x or better arti worlds and a number of vm or colossal 3-6x arti's...plus some storage. You are just the loser of the wheel of luck sounds like.

Keep pluggin. The other kicker may be when you say planets you could feasibly take. If you find good stuff and can't take it, that;s a different issue from not finding.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 am

small scan runs when you have low ap, chance to find more ap planets. so you can get more ap to get more purgers for larger scans. and also the chance to find good enemy planets and the ability to take them with-out the owner purging it.

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:09 am

Rule of thumb i heard before was scan till you have at least 1 good enemy invade to do..then stop. Hate to have things purged.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:39 am

for some reason, i tense to believe lower ranked player have higher chance in finding Dyson. Do you think it's true or false?

The Dark Justice, assisting New Ship Members w/Everyday Even Strong Artifacts Payout

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:40 am

juiceman wrote:
You have incredibly poor luck. In discussions with teammates, who have scanned no less than 7 dysons over the last year , as well as a large number of 15-22x arti worlds.....I considered my luck poor. In last year (10k scans) I found 4 15x or better arti worlds and a number of vm or colossal 3-6x arti's...plus some storage. You are just the loser of the wheel of luck sounds like.

Keep pluggin. The other kicker may be when you say planets you could feasibly take. If you find good stuff and can't take it, that;s a different issue from not finding.

True on the feasible part. Though I've only come across maybe 2 or 3 that were in that category, ever. Legion mates were able to take those though, which I don't mind sharing with them. I remember finding an 18x, and maybe one or two 15x artie planets. So yeah, even in that category, very poor luck. I tend to have to work 10x harder than everyone else to get the same stuff.

But like you said, keep pluggin. And of course I find a lot of enjoyment in just chatting with Legion mates and stuff. That's a whole element to the game that I really enjoy, and tbh, I probably wouldn't be playing without that.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:11 am

It is actually pretty situation and depends on the Invade arties you have. If say 0.5% of the planets scanned are worth anything, then you have to at least scan 200 to find anything. But you may find that 1 in the first 200 or at the end or maybe not in that bunch at all. So if you always scan 1000 planets, you may pick up 5 of those, and need to invade them all. chance are that any that are active will be fluxed, so unless you have invade reset arties, you'd want to stop after you found the first thing to invade. True your next one could be a dyson, but that's the same rationale that keeps people gambling (and losing their money).

Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]