View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Any non-reset, non-GP purchasing ships out there? 

I have ship logs from before GP, though, that go up to about December 2014 (I think that was when I got the GP...). Let me know if you want to take a look at those.

Sat May 02, 2015 12:58 pm

You were a beast even back then, chiaroscuro...I don't think your logs will help our OP's thesis :P

Sat May 02, 2015 9:28 pm

Pongoloid wrote:
You were a beast even back then, chiaroscuro...I don't think your logs will help our OP's thesis :P

Thank you, that means a lot coming from someone with a ship as strong as yours ^_^

But if the OP's gathering data about the differences between GP and non-GP players, shouldn't he avoid selection bias by considering all non-GP players, rather than seeking out a specific group of non-GP players? :P

Sun May 03, 2015 1:59 am

chiaro:scuro wrote:
But if the OP's gathering data about the differences between GP and non-GP players, shouldn't he avoid selection bias by considering all non-GP players, rather than seeking out a specific group of non-GP players? :P
That assumes the OP isn't seeking out a specific answer to his query.

Threads like this are less often attempts at honest inquiry than an exercise in bias confirmation. When eternalpaw asks the following leading question: "Would the fact that you were getting owned daily have any effect on your wanting to continue with the game? There are so many more reset ships with insane productions and such in today's GL than there were when you originally started." I think that expresses exactly where he is coming from and what he is trying to prove with his request for ship logs: that "GL is just impossible for anybody starting out today who isn't a reset or huge GP spender!"

Frankly, even if this is an honest experiment, it's kinda like flogging a dead horse. Everybody already knows the answer. I mean, if two players of equal skill and luck start out the same day and only one of them spends GP, the GP spender is going to have a noticeable advantage (especially if we are talking Mission Dyson/Rift-type advantages). This isn't to say you can't have a strong ship spending zero or minimal GP if you play smart, of course -- you are a great example of somebody who's built a scary ship through intelligent planning and discipline -- but the advantage provided by Mission Dysons, Trinity Cores, etc. is real.

At the same time, if you are willing to actually read a little bit and avoid randomly clicking on everything you see, you don't have to be a GP spender or reset with 100 Dysons waiting for you to do well at low ranks, either. Again, you'll always do better with better planets and ship modules -- common sense -- but you can still do quite well for yourself if you play intelligently and with patience, even if you spend nothing on the game.

tbh, my biggest concern for new players, far more than feeling like they have to spend GP to "keep up" or running into scary resets/SSBs/Slow Rankers on the BT is that they land in a legion full of tumbleweeds and quit the game because they receive no advice or encouragement.

Sun May 03, 2015 2:34 am

+1 bazillion (technical term) :)

Pongo is pretty much dead-on here. All of it. GP advantages are real. Anyone who disputes that is way off base. Also, players can be quite good without spending large sums, or any, GP if they make the effort.

Sun May 03, 2015 7:55 am

chiaro:scuro wrote:
I have ship logs from before GP, though, that go up to about December 2014 (I think that was when I got the GP...). Let me know if you want to take a look at those.

Actually that would be quite helpful. Feel free to PM or post in this thread :)

Sun May 03, 2015 10:22 pm

I have found one ship in my legion so far who is non-reset and non-GP, I asked them to keep a record of their ship stats from now on

Mon May 04, 2015 2:05 am

log removed.

Last edited by chiaro:scuro on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 04, 2015 11:57 pm

Not a reset here...and I've spent GP but all GP I've ever earned were from offers. Never spent real money...can't (one-word explanation: parents).

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2