View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Questions about Critical Failures when hacking? 

I am going to slow down my ranking quite a bit the next 10 ranks or so. I ranked quite a bit over the last month, doing litheor, and other assorted NPC heavy LM. I finally finished my Auto-blasters, and while tris are tempting, I plan to do those when I hit rank 500. I have some heavy attack and defense goals for rank 500, and I'm only 10 ranks away, with a lot to do. I have a lot of litheor deep-phase probes to place, and prior to going taltherian, I want to build up my ship, so I'm not a tin can after taltherian.

I've been meaning to work on getting my Black Hat medal for a LONG time, and this would be a great opportunity for me to do so. But EVERY time I decide to start hacking, half way through a hacking run, I get a critical failure, and then I quit hacking again. I do need blues, and I would like to build up this stat as well, but the fear of losing one of my prized planets, gets in the way of that.

If you have a planet, with say 35k cloak, is it still at risk of getting lost with a critical hack (whether a player does it to you or the other way around)?

What is more critical when it comes to avoiding a critical failure? Cloak or scan?

What are some good cloak/scan numbers to carry around rank 500 for hacking? I'm not looking to get anything but blues.

As a side note, does anyone around my rank want to exchange blues/hacks?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:26 am

crit hacks happen and yes even your 35k cloaked planet can be hacked. TBH. I wouldnt worry much about it though. Do your hacking per usual and if you crit fail then probe the planets you are worried about. If you notice one of them has another ship on it's scan then flux it. I've had a good bit of crit fails and successes and I personally have never crit hacked anything of use. Also if you keep your planet list filled up until it's time for a scan run then that just dilutes your enemies chances of crit hacking one of your good planets.

As for the numbers....there are numerous ship logs posted. Take a look at a couple and see where their scan and cloak were at rank 500 and make a judgement. Unfortunately I do not think there is any concrete answer to your question. Good luck with your Black Hat goal.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:37 am

eternalpaw wrote:
crit hacks happen and yes even your 35k cloaked planet can be hacked. TBH. I wouldnt worry much about it though. Do your hacking per usual and if you crit fail then probe the planets you are worried about. If you notice one of them has another ship on it's scan then flux it. I've had a good bit of crit fails and successes and I personally have never crit hacked anything of use. Also if you keep your planet list filled up until it's time for a scan run then that just dilutes your enemies chances of crit hacking one of your good planets.

As for the numbers....there are numerous ship logs posted. Take a look at a couple and see where their scan and cloak were at rank 500 and make a judgement. Unfortunately I do not think there is any concrete answer to your question. Good luck with your Black Hat goal.

Well my ship currently runs 1306 cloak, and - (nine-hundred thirty three, this isn't showing up) scan. But I still managed to get a critical failure every 20th (or so) hack. Which is terrible LOL. I try to go for just SSBs exclusively since they tend to run pretty bad cloak, but still, its a challenge it seems to not have me freak out.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:44 am

Hack after a scan run . the increased amount of planets scanned decreases the chances a crit hack fail will reveal one of yours

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:33 am

how many decks do you have? every time I go on a proper hacking spree, I make sure that my cloak gets into the 4k range at rank 590. My scan typically permanently sits around the 1.5-2.5k range.

I'm not too sure with the hacker, but the hackee (whoever is being hacked) has a higher chance of counter-crit on the hacker when the hackee scan is higher. That for sure I have noticed when I try and zero higher ranks without bombing their scan down as well. Of course, higher hackee scan just lowers your hack chance in general as well.

I typically run higher scan than cloak just so I dont have to flare people to be able to hack.

Click below to join us and we will rise together!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:43 am

I have been working on black hat as of late too, and i hack with around 4.3k cloak and 1.7k scan at around rank 377, but the point is i cannot remember the last time i managed to crit fail, and as others have said here, even if i was to crit fail i have over 750 planets scanned (500+ of them being unocc) that it's such a slim chance of it being one of my maxed planets, although if you react quick enough you can just check your best planets and flux if need

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Higher cloak = better chances of hacking success.

Higher scan = smaller chances of being crit-hacked/higher chances of crit-hacking.

Run your scan buffs and use a sha'din algorithm before going on a hacking spree. And if decks are limited, focus on getting higher scan if you can to avoid getting crit hacked.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Texas Toast wrote:

Higher scan = smaller chances of being crit-hacked/higher chances of crit-hacking.

Run your scan buffs and use a sha'din algorithm before going on a hacking spree. And if decks are limited, focus on getting higher scan if you can to avoid getting crit hacked.

crit hacks(inc crit fails) are fixed % chance to occur

can run all the scan or cloak you want, won't prevent crit hacks/crit fails

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:22 pm

TrinityThree wrote:
how many decks do you have? every time I go on a proper hacking spree, I make sure that my cloak gets into the 4k range at rank 590. My scan typically permanently sits around the 1.5-2.5k range.

I'm not too sure with the hacker, but the hackee (whoever is being hacked) has a higher chance of counter-crit on the hacker when the hackee scan is higher. That for sure I have noticed when I try and zero higher ranks without bombing their scan down as well. Of course, higher hackee scan just lowers your hack chance in general as well.

I typically run higher scan than cloak just so I dont have to flare people to be able to hack.

A little shy of 1500 decks. 1478. I have made my ship as efficient I can with the mods I have available (I mostly use the space for scan blitzs actually), but it seems my luck has it that, most of the time I hack, I get a critical fail.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Sun is likely right on fix %. Since i hit 26k cloak i had a run of about 2500 straight hacks with no crit fails and a number of crit hacks. Then i started having one every 200 or so, which is more inline. I will say i dont seem to have many incoming crit hacks from people..but would guess crit is like .5% to 1% or some such on every attempt.

I can vouch for sure that high cloak helps a ton in hacking.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:23 pm

kirkeastment wrote:
Texas Toast wrote:

i agree that you can't prevent crit.hack fails, but i think you can manage the risks.

after a bad run of crit.fails, i began tracking my scan vs cloak on another spreadsheet tab (natch !).

so, i just did an analysis with the numbers gathered to date.

cloak minus scan: crit.fails results as follows ...

under 0: 2
0 to 500: 11
500 to 1000: 13
1000 to 1500: 13
1500 to 2000: 2
over 2000: 1

now, initial caveats are that these results may just reflect where i keep my cloak and scan values and don't reflect the odds of crit.failing (which would mean that kirk is right that it is random).

that said,

- with scan much higher than cloak, you only see the hack button if your cloak beats their scan. and their cloak will be lower than your scan value (or else you would not see them in your bt pool), so the target ship will be much less likely to be able to crit.hack you back

- with cloak much higher than scan, you will see the hack button on most ships that you find on your battle tab. you can check the ship stats to see how much hacking they do. the higher the hack stat, the more likely that they run decent cloak. so if you are really worried about crits .. you can choose your targets more wisely

advice to moonlit:

reserve a flag for the planets that you are most concerned about. probe them frequently (twice a week ideally) and especially after any crit.hack fails. i used to probe a portion of my planets after crit.fails, but now i take the time to do everything just to keep on top of any other planets that have been scanned since my last probe run.

pick one of the 2 extreme scenarios that i outlined .. either massive scan vs your cloak ... or massive cloak vs your scan. those 2 situations should minimize the chances of crit.failing. my experience is that it is in the mushy middle where the combos of cloak and scan seem to be ficklishly random.

then hack away for the medal !

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Last edited by senatorhung on Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:37 pm
Profile WWW

Well its the ships it has happens on that makes no sense. I'll find SSBs where I can see every mod on their ship and what not, but I'll hack them and fail.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:37 pm

senatorhung wrote:
kirkeastment wrote:
Texas Toast wrote:

i agree that you can't prevent crit.hack fails, but i think you can manage the risks.

after a bad run of crit.fails, i began tracking my scan vs cloak on another spreadsheet tab (natch !).

so, i just did an analysis with the numbers gathered to date.

cloak minus scan: crit.fails results as follows ...

under 0: 2
0 to 500: 11
500 to 1000: 13
1000 to 1500: 13
1500 to 2000: 2
over 2000: 1

now, initial caveats are that these results may just reflect where i keep my cloak and scan values and don't reflect the odds of crit.failing (which would mean that kirk is right that it is random).

that said,

- with scan much higher than cloak, you only see the hack button if your cloak beats their scan. and their cloak will be lower than your scan value (or else you would not see them in your bt pool), so the target ship will be much less likely to be able to crit.hack you back

- with cloak much higher than scan, you will see the hack button on most ships that you find on your battle tab. you can check the ship stats to see how much hacking they do. the higher the hack stat, the more likely that they run decent cloak. so if you are really worried about crits .. you can choose your targets more wisely

advice to moonlit:

reserve a flag for the planets that you are most concerned about. probe them frequently (twice a week ideally) and especially after any crit.hack fails. i used to probe a portion of my planets after crit.fails, but now i take the time to do everything just to keep on top of any other planets that have been scanned since my last probe run.

pick one of the 2 extreme scenarios that i outlined .. either massive scan vs your cloak ... or massive cloak vs your scan. those 2 situations should minimize the chances of crit.failing. my experience is that it is in the mushy middle where the combos of cloak and scan seem to be ficklishly random.

then hack away for the medal !

This is definitely interesting information to ponder about. Thank you!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]