View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Scanning Planets 

I haven't scanned in weeks. I went up 4 levels in scanning tech since my last scan blitz. I used 2 artifacts to increase my scanning by 200. My total scanning ability was almost 1400. I still get a success rating of 14%.

What do I have to do to be able to find a fracking planet?

- #3 with level 6 base and #3 in Legion strength (not just NPC fighters)
- 13 Lab creations (all the best)
- Our base gives 22000 RP a day

Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 pm
Profile WWW

you can hack people. take planet locations from them.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I know that unfortunately a critical hack is a rare occasion and the odds of getting a good planet is even smaller.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:08 pm
Profile WWW

I am still working out what a good planet is!

If I get a good one am I strong enough to keep it?

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 pm

I feel your pain, Kaos. My last scanning blitz involved spending a huge amount of money just to buy the best scanners I had available, plus both scanning bonus artifacts, and I still only managed to get my scanning chance to just over 50%. I ended up using four Energy Cubes (mostly wasted) because I wanted to get whatever I could out of the money that I spent on the scanners. I did add roughly 30 planets (almost all junk, of course) to my database but it was frustrating to have to start at such a relatively low scanning percentage after the huge investment to buy the scanners. It would be nice to have a way to at least estimate the percentage chance that we will have at a certain scanning level (compared to the number of planets already found) before spending the money on the scanners.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeoman Smith wrote:
It would be nice to have a way to at least estimate the percentage chance that we will have at a certain scanning level (compared to the number of planets already found) before spending the money on the scanners.

I have played Pardus (a free sci-fi MMORPG) and their manual includes many of the equations involved in things like tractor beam success and comodity supply/demand, so players can gauge their chances before unkowingly attempting suicide or loosing credits. So Dan, can you add the scan success equation to the Wiki? (and copy it here to show everyone?)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:23 am

It would seem sensible that a ship captain would have some idea of his ship's capabilities and his onbaord scans would give him a sense of possible outcomes when considering actions.

No commander acts blindly without weighing the potential outcomes, however limited his information upon which he bases his actions.

I can hear now Spock on the bridge of the Enterprise giving JTK a probability of success for a proposed action.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:05 am

I always usually skip 1 tier of sensors. 4 tiers yet still low %? Perhaps you have;
1. WAY too many star charts used
2. Glitch in your account? (does the planets found in your ship stats almost match with the number of planets in the planet list?)
3. Downgraded the number of sensors? (like last scan was 5 sensors, now 3 sensors)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:11 pm

I would rather have invasion odds beforehand than knowing what I already lost from buying a kajillion credits worth of scanners. How in the hell do you skip 4 levels of research and still have a low scan %? I thought I was the only person that skipped levels, and thats only for extra, extra planets the next time. It seemed to be one of the only huge wastes of energy I don't totally partake in. I don't even go below 50% when I scan. It's supposed to be free energy (or planets) the next time you do it, IMO. Whatever you could have gotten will be more than free the next time you scan. Desperation plays a part of course... but my lord. You must be willing to waste even more money abandoning the planets you already settled or some similar amount making them decent. Not that that will get them off your list.

There are myriad reasons to emphasize artifact production. Yes, you can buy them... so what. Nothing beats a constant flow of everything getting better. Ever so slightly. I've purged a lot of planets. I also hack a lot, and I've actually conquered more than I've settled at this point. Every planet I give half a damn about has to be heavily defended. That actually sucks; planet fluxes are surprisingly infrequent. I think that is the only bad luck I've had... I'm lucky enough to have people take over my crap planets... people like them. Somehow, the violent life pays off in terms of plasticity.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Yeoman Smith wrote:
I feel your pain, Kaos. My last scanning blitz involved spending a huge amount of money just to buy the best scanners I had available, plus both scanning bonus artifacts, and I still only managed to get my scanning chance to just over 50%. I ended up using four Energy Cubes (mostly wasted) because I wanted to get whatever I could out of the money that I spent on the scanners. I did add roughly 30 planets (almost all junk, of course) to my database but it was frustrating to have to start at such a relatively low scanning percentage after the huge investment to buy the scanners. It would be nice to have a way to at least estimate the percentage chance that we will have at a certain scanning level (compared to the number of planets already found) before spending the money on the scanners.

Last time I scanned with a Scan of over 1100, and removing one junk world, and using artifacts, my scanning chance started at 29% lol I literally stripped my ship and had Quantum Resonance Sensors Mark 3 ;)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:04 am

i haven't done a scan blitz in awhile but my last scanning was over 2600 and i had an 8% chance... i have researched ALOT more since then and purged planets... so maybe in a week another scanning blitz will happen

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:58 am

It makes me feel a iittle better that I am not the only one who has had this problem.

Seriously though, a question to Dan. What exactly do you have to do to increase your scanning percentage if increasing scan power by more than 400 points doesn't work?

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 am
Profile WWW

Keep in mind that your scan % also takes into account planets that are added to your list from hacks and artifacts. After your list gets quite large (hundreds), it will be harder and harder to get even more.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:04 am

webguydan wrote:
Keep in mind that your scan % also takes into account planets that are added to your list from hacks and artifacts. After your list gets quite large (hundreds), it will be harder and harder to get even more.

Which makes it all the more important that we have a "cheap" eazy way of de-cluttering the ship board nav computer. How many prospectors keep the worthless peebles which stops them locating the real gems!!!

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:06 pm

I thought I read in here planets obtained from hacks didn't count towards your planet list?

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Someone did say that, but it was just a rumor. If Dan says that ALL planets count (except temporary legion shares) then that's the way it works.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 pm

This is how I see scanning as you advance through ranks, the cost to scan stays the same so as the % goes down, the amount of time you can do goes up. So though it does slow down as you progress you do have a more equal trade off.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]