View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 S.ave O.ur S.hips: The Dwindling Population in The Galaxy 

i think the fact that none of the admins has replied goes to show that they do not give 2 *****.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Pongoloid wrote:
Quote:
It's the whole point of the game, though. Build a tough ship.
Well, one of the things people strive for, yes.

But imagine this: you're new to GL, and nobody has told you how much more important artifact production is compared to mining and research. You probably think research is the most important, and are feeling good about yourself after finishing up with Plasma cannons. Yeah, you're pretty tough.

Then you log on one morning to find yourself disabled, your hacks and raids zeroed! Oh no! You go after the ship who did this to you, but when you retaliate, the guy does about five times more damage back than you dish out. But you are not deterred! You use up all of your repair nanos and a Tri-Matrix Emblem, rank up in the middle of the attack, and still don't have enough energy to kill him. Gah. How frustrating! Then to add insult to injury, once you're on his feed, the guy comes back every 12 hours to take more actions from you.

OK, that sucked, but hey, maybe he's just some super ship or something. You are annoyed, but go about your business. Then two days later, a different ship does the same thing to you. And another ship not too long after that! And of course when you retaliate, similar results.

"What the heck is going on here?" you wonder! "Why are some ships so impossible to kill? I thought I was doing OK!" You have no idea that this player has actually been around for 3 years (you probably don't look at people's medals yet), and reset with several 22x arti planets waiting for them on the other side. You have no idea that this player scores more Rescued Prisoners in 12 hours than you do in an entire week.

If it were just 1-2 oddball ships bullying everybody in the 20-100 range, that'd be one thing, but when you run into it enough, it gets pretty disheartening. Some people are stronger than you and that's life -- deal with it -- but when you keep running into impossible odds, you start wondering if you are doing something wrong, if these other players are somehow cheating. Or maybe you should just quit, because you're getting pounded by these cocky punks and there's nothing you can do about it, short of catch them offline and spend $20 in GP refills/repairs to take them down. And who wants to do that?

Now when I reset 15 months ago (no planets waiting for me. Guess I did it wrong! :P), it was admittedly an annoyance, but as an SSB with reasonably good AP, I was left alone for the most part, but you could tell from reading people's ship comms that there was a fair amount of raging going on lol... and from my understanding, Super Annoying Slow Ranking Reset Scouts of Death are more prevalent now than they were at that time.

:eek:

This just further points out the backwards logic of the damage cap based on deck size mechanic. This is the only game that I have ever played (and i've played many) that has this flawed type of logic.

A new player creates a ship, and LOGICALLY thinks that the more cannons they have the more damage they will do, the more defense they have the better off they are to fend off attacks. Most gamers who may try this game are going to have this basic common logic that spans across just about every game so they add deck after deck to install as many cannons and defensive modules as they can, Install all the hull and shield modules they can get to make their "Ship Tougher" which LOGICALLY it should do.

Damage cap based on deck size is totally backwards of this logic, basically bringing it down to "The smaller your ship is the harder its going to be to kill", which will and does frustrate players, old and especially New (when they realize that their standard normal logic is different from the backwards logic of the game) but by then its to late, they say screw this, quit and move on to other games have don't have such a mechanic that defies all sense of logic they possess. This may have also affected some of the higher ranks and quitting, lord knows I have thought about it more than once.

And I agree, add into the number of people that have reset, are slow ranking or freeze ranking just to prey off the new players and it is just writing a death sentence for the game. The FIRST thing that NEEDs to be fixed if the game is going to attract and MAINTAIN New players is the broken Damage Cap system, not a tutorial to teach them how backwards that mechanic of the game is.

And for any of the SSB defenders who want to debate the flawed design, more than happy to, start up a thread trying to defend it.. ;)

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Chade wrote:
This just further points out the backwards logic of the damage cap based on deck size mechanic. This is the only game that I have ever played (and i've played many) that has this flawed type of logic.

A new player creates a ship, and LOGICALLY thinks that the more cannons they have the more damage they will do, the more defense they have the better off they are to fend off attacks. Most gamers who may try this game are going to have this basic common logic that spans across just about every game so they add deck after deck to install as many cannons and defensive modules as they can, Install all the hull and shield modules they can get to make their "Ship Tougher" which LOGICALLY it should do.

Damage cap based on deck size is totally backwards of this logic, basically bringing it down to "The smaller your ship is the harder its going to be to kill", which will and does frustrate players, old and especially New (when they realize that their standard normal logic is different from the backwards logic of the game) but by then its to late, they say screw this, quit and move on to other games have don't have such a mechanic that defies all sense of logic they possess. This may have also affected some of the higher ranks and quitting, lord knows I have thought about it more than once.

And I agree, add into the number of people that have reset, are slow ranking or freeze ranking just to prey off the new players and it is just writing a death sentence for the game. The FIRST thing that NEEDs to be fixed if the game is going to attract and MAINTAIN New players is the broken Damage Cap system, not a tutorial to teach them how backwards that mechanic of the game is.

And for any of the SSB defenders who want to debate the flawed design, more than happy to, start up a thread trying to defend it.. ;)

Do away with deck based damage cap...

Got over 2K Ship Bots I aint using. Will burn them all, be able to stick on all the hull, gun and defense mods that currently don't fit, probably making me lose little strength...

Oh and I will be able to fit max scanners so can increase my arti more, making my ship even stronger.

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Alumni of the Crimson Lances and Lords of Infinity

Rank 971, Strict SSB,Possibly the jazziest ship in the universe

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Eh. SSB really isn't broken at all, IMO. And personally, anybody who has the forethought and patience to pull off that build well has my admiration.

The larger issue is that there are so few options for truly customizing your ship: i.e. after a certain point, everybody has access to the same modules; the only difference is in how many of those modules a player puts on at any one time... and once you reach a certain rank, even that doesn't make much difference aside from scan/cloak and % mods.

If we actually had meaningful profession builds that granted an interesting mix of benefits and penalties (e.g. a "Hacker Build" that is perhaps weaker in PVP but has access to several cool "hacker only" mods and abilities) rather than simply a choice between "Am I gonna go big or small?," I really doubt we'd see as much moaning about SSBs as we do.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Well I personally think the biggest flaw is that resets get all their 15x Arti planets back. I've had one new member saying how on earth does a rank 50 have ridiculous attack and defense, and hull too. And to add to it the person has only played for 20 or so days. If there was a way for resets to not get back their pre-reset planets, I think that would be fairer, but there's no way for that to be fixed.

SSBs as annoying as they are, aren't the problem IMO. It's the people who have 20k arti by rank 100 that are the problem.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 pm

xmoonxlitxwalkx wrote:
Well I personally think the biggest flaw is that resets get all their 15x Arti planets back. I've had one new member saying how on earth does a rank 50 have ridiculous attack and defense, and hull too. And to add to it the person has only played for 20 or so days. If there was a way for resets to not get back their pre-reset planets, I think that would be fairer, but there's no way for that to be fixed.

SSBs as annoying as they are, aren't the problem IMO. It's the people who have 20k arti by rank 100 that are the problem.

Finally someone speaking some sense...

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:50 pm

umbongo wrote:
xmoonxlitxwalkx wrote:

Finally someone speaking some sense...

I agree (except the part about SSB's not being a problem).. I believe (going way back and I could be wrong) part of the reason the damage cap based on decks was implemented to try to stop higher ranks from constantly griefing lower ranks (eh part of pvp get over it).. but.. this is even worse because these people who reset with all those planets are sitting at low ranks, slow or freeze ranking and doing the exact same thing to a greater degree...

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Chade wrote:
I agree (except the part about SSB's not being a problem)
The thing is, being a problem is one of the main benefits of the SSB strategy. Frustrating you is part of why they choose to have such an inconvenient, swappy little ship.

If an SSB is a problem, they've done a good job putting together their ship.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Pongoloid wrote:
Chade wrote:
I agree (except the part about SSB's not being a problem)
The thing is, being a problem is one of the main benefits of the SSB strategy. Frustrating you is part of why they choose to have such an inconvenient, swappy little ship.

If an SSB is a problem, they've done a good job putting together their ship.

No.. thats like a Cylon Raider taking on a Battlestar and winning.. eh.. and especially when they are lower rank .. absurd..

Ever play any MMO with a pvp element? can you imagine a level 20 character taking on, standing up to and successfully fending off a rank 60? no, a rank 60 would squash them like a little bug, and it should Always work that way period, a level 20 should NEVER be able to fight off a level 60. and If it didn't work like that, how many people would say 'screw this, this is effed up, no way, i'm gone never touching this crap game again"... you can't honestly tell me that you really believe it hasn't had any effect on people quitting..

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:59 pm

TBH if you get your attack up and you can cap ride an SSB pretty easily, most of us can click at a base for an hour plus, 5 mins of ship is just some change

Senatus et Populusque Imminente

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Billik wrote:
TBH if you get your attack up and you can cap ride an SSB pretty easily, most of us can click at a base for an hour plus, 5 mins of ship is just some change

ya, because having 70-80k or higher attack against someones 20k defense and hitting them for 700 damage is fun.. not.. there was a thread a while back about some low ranked player taking and holding exotica (by low I mean 200 or less) and fending off ships (multiple) 1k+.. that should NEVER EVER EVER HAPPEN.. period, that rank 100 ship should be decimated in .05 seconds... why? because of the absurd damage cap mechanic..

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Another (at least I *think*) would be a good suggestion to enhance things... Add Hull and Shield indicators when you attack players (same as what we have when attacking NPCS) but do not show actual values of the hull or shields but show percentages... so would show at 100%, couple hits show at 90%.. etc, etc..

Also, if we *must* keep the backwards damage cap mechanic, count Cargo space for size as well...

lets change Repair nano's and shield restorers to:
  • Repair Nanodrones - Restores up 10% - 30% of max hull per use, can only be used once every 90 seconds.
  • Shield Restorer - Restores up to 10-30% of Max shield per use, can only be used once every 90 seconds.

This will enable an attacker to see if a ship is attempting to defend or sitting idle, give them an idea of how badly damaged the ship is become due to their attacks (hey we could see this through monitors and scanners right?). the Delay on the Nano's and Restorers would also reflect the amount of time it takes for repairs to be done or for shields to regenerate energy instead of an 'instant boost'

Now in a perfect world, these would be added with a change to the damage cap system but... eh

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 pm

Yes but SSBs as annoying as they are, put quite a bit of effort into keeping a small ship. But when it's an SSB thats played for a month, that takes 100 hits to kill at a double digit rank, theres a problem. I see NO issue with different play styles (LSB, SSB, MSB etc.), each has their advantages and disadvantages. You can be a strong LSB that an SSB has trouble with or vice versa, but I still am convinced the biggest flaw is resets who get their old planets back. I'm sorry but even if you have 10 decks, you are not going to stand a chance against a rank 50 with more arti then a rank 300 has. It's just not even a contest. THAT flaw, is making one our lower ranks consider leaving the game right now.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:04 am

I concur that one of the flaws is the resets that are going back, keeping their planets and farming (griefing the new players). BUT I also don''t care how much 'work' that player A or player B put into maintaining their ship, that is irrelevant, this is about a Broken Backwards game mechanic that needs fixed / changed that is also driving people off as well. To be Honest, I've almost quit over it a few times, instead, I just avoid pvp (and its not even really pvp, more like kill a player while they are offline)...

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:27 pm

# useall button?

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:36 pm

Chade wrote:
I concur that one of the flaws is the resets that are going back, keeping their planets and farming (griefing the new players). BUT I also don''t care how much 'work' that player A or player B put into maintaining their ship, that is irrelevant, this is about a Broken Backwards game mechanic that needs fixed / changed that is also driving people off as well. To be Honest, I've almost quit over it a few times, instead, I just avoid pvp (and its not even really pvp, more like kill a player while they are offline)...

#ragequit ... You aren't really covering the argument in glory, this whole post just comes across as some big vendetta against SSBs as you didn't have it how you wanted in a fight.

Rage quit if you want, plenty have left the game, if it were me I would find a way to deal with a play style I happen to not like... But hey-that's just me

Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 am

umbongo wrote:
Chade wrote:

#ragequit ... You aren't really covering the argument in glory, this whole post just comes across as some big vendetta against SSBs as you didn't have it how you wanted in a fight.

Rage quit if you want, plenty have left the game, if it were me I would find a way to deal with a play style I happen to not like... But hey-that's just me

You are missing the point.. there is something Inherently and Horribly WRONG and Backwards with a system that allows a rank what, 150? (per the thread i referenced) to hold off multiple rank 1k + ships. There is something WRONG and Broken with a system that allows a ship to hold off someone twice their rank just because they have fewer decks / smaller ship. There is something WRONG with a system that the players pretty much come to realize that if someone is online it is practically impossible to kill them.. These things should NEVER happen, at this point its no longer pvp, its player kill, 1 player vs an offline ship. Someone half your rank should NEVER be able to fend off attacks from you, period.

Having played many games over my years, I can honestly say that this backwards system is at least half the reason for new players not playing. Any LOGICAL Gamer who decides to try the game is going to add as many decks as they can to add as many cannons and all the defenses to their ship thinking "more cannons the better I attack" and "More defense, the better protected I am".. and then they come to realize that this is totally backwards, defense means nothing, just keep your ship really really small... eh...

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:15 am

Chade wrote:
umbongo wrote:
Chade wrote:

You are missing the point.. there is something Inherently and Horribly WRONG and Backwards with a system that allows a rank what, 150? (per the thread i referenced) to hold off multiple rank 1k + ships. There is something WRONG and Broken with a system that allows a ship to hold off someone twice their rank just because they have fewer decks / smaller ship. There is something WRONG with a system that the players pretty much come to realize that if someone is online it is practically impossible to kill them.. These things should NEVER happen, at this point its no longer pvp, its player kill, 1 player vs an offline ship. Someone half your rank should NEVER be able to fend off attacks from you, period.

Having played many games over my years, I can honestly say that this backwards system is at least half the reason for new players not playing. Any LOGICAL Gamer who decides to try the game is going to add as many decks as they can to add as many cannons and all the defenses to their ship thinking "more cannons the better I attack" and "More defense, the better protected I am".. and then they come to realize that this is totally backwards, defense means nothing, just keep your ship really really small... eh...

Just for the record, the Rank 150 didn't hold them off, they failed.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:28 am

Chade wrote:
There is something WRONG with a system that the players pretty much come to realize that if someone is online it is practically impossible to kill them.. These things should NEVER happen, at this point its no longer pvp, its player kill, 1 player vs an offline ship. Someone half your rank should NEVER be able to fend off attacks from you, period.

You got right to the point. SSBs offer a tactical advantage but can get to become pretty OP because of the low damage cap.

Chade wrote:

Actually, the reason why players aren't playing is because the wall of text and static images that they aren't expecting to see, lowering their expectations of this game. It is also because the tutorial is boring to read through, many newbies resort to going their own way, quitting from frustration or confusion. But any newbie that can overcome both of those obstacles will hit a huge wall when they get around rank 30, because of all the freeze rankers and tanks who've been nesting quietly at rank 30 for a year or so, and have like 2k attack and a damage cap of 25. By the time these newbies freeze rank long enough to get to where these guys are at, (or not to become squishy targets) their interest in the game will greatly drop (because freeze ranking leads to less activity and ultimately less enjoyment from the game). If they try to get past this wall of tanks they will get slammed heavily by the higher-ups, and ultimately find PvP to be terribly broken.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:37 am

Personally, I would imagine finding they were disabled whilst one of their attacks was stuck in Lagland is probably enough to put new players off long before they encounter SSB tanks.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next