View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 S.ave O.ur S.hips: The Dwindling Population in The Galaxy 

Honestly as a new player and NO RESET playing the game it isn't too bad

I had to get thru the blockage of tanks/reset early on like everyone else
taught me a lot about how to make my ship tough

I even started reading the forums before I started playing to get a handle on it...which was no good because the guides were out of date so advice was outdated

main thing is to take your time early on - slow rank as much as you can and PVP a lot

now having said that - the lopsided mechanics has to be fixed

1. cargo takes up space and deck space - having 1 deck and 1M cargo space is a big ship - there should be in no way a benefit to stay small if you add cargo space (give cargo space size)
2. Men take up deck space - in no way should you fit 1ooo people to a room in a house - so should go the decks of a ship
if you want men you should be constrained to the amount your deck can hold - that would make people think about how they want to outfit there ship

3. shooting - in no way a tac officers should increase hitting power all that much - however they may change critical hits and accuracy only
(bonus damage occasionally) and decreased chance of low damage

4 engineers should be able to regenerate shields and hull as it gets hit - the more engineers the faster they regen - thye do work/fix stuff while battle is ongoing

5 defense navigators should make it harder to hit you - that I agree on - but if you get nailed by a bigger ship you would still go down

ie hull and defenses like shields are none(or very low) so you are relying on your wits and small size to elude - not defend or limit damage

so base the attack damage of ship to size of defender and hull if you get hit you get hit good

so maybe the bigger ship misses a few time nails partials and then hits with the massive shot that takes out/smashes the little ship to bits (ALL GUNS HIT FOR MAX DAMAGE)
--------

lets reverse it with a smaller attacking the larger

here the small ship shouldn't miss the larger ship as much because it's a bigger target- maybe never depending on the huge size of ship
the pipsqueak ship should in no way take down the bigger ship most of the time - unless they get a super critical hit on a power system or defenses

and in no way should the smaller ship raid it so easily - you should be outmanned
I might allow for a Percentage chance of success as well as the amount that of that success should be based on the size difference in men

so if you succeed you may get a small amount rather than a large amount
reverse should be true if attackers are massive and the smaller ship is serious outmanned it should be a slam dunk and you should be able to empty cargo space

Secondly - how about during the attack there is a chance of cargo lose from a hole blasted out by the attacking ship and vice versa
not only is there a chance you could get cargo just hitting someone - there is a chance you can lose cargo while attacking - the more dangerous the more likely you might lose something

third what about bigger ships getting hit simultaneously by other ships in BT
maybe arranging it so that smaller ships in range can be alerted automatically (not within legion - but outside to those in the BT) that a ship has been engaged
sort of like every ship puts out a distress call where it be to their legion or to starbase - it can be iintercepted and then all the pirates or those around can hit the prey/ or defend the ship
depending on there choice - ..ie choose sides

or have tiers in BT (one for those below , those at your level and those above) and you can choose targets
make it so that you can hit those at your level(around it) - as many per day as you like

those below to stop griefing - like only 5 or 10 ships daily
and those above - 1or 2 or 5 per day - and it goes out as alert to others on BT (timed alert - like 3-5 mins to enter before it become unavail)
so now the big guns get targeted by fleets

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Jeebus wrote:
Devastation wrote:
It's the whole point of the game, though. Build a tough ship.

sorry, but no. you are sadly mistaken here.

i started this game late (november i think it was) 2011, and played it for a little under 2 years, but i quit because of the [expletives] matchmaking in pvp for starters. the reason why i quit (along with my fiancee and son, who both quit long before me) is because the matchmaking in the pvp-system is a huge joke. the fact you can get hit, let alone disabled, by someone that is about 300 ranks above is beyond a joke.

this also echoes true for the base -vs- base battles. no cap, no matchmaking, nothing. a bunch of rank 1k+ can just easily disable a base with members that are a lot lower then them. there should atleast be a tier-system in place for those battles.

the fact that anyone can steal a planet of anyone is also ridiculous. i spend money on those items that improve planets, and what happens next? someone that is rank 1k+ plus along and steals it right from underneath me. who gives a ratass that i paid real money for a better planet? noone. not the admins here, and surely not the high ranked players.

and finally, a lot of the high ranked player are very... how do i put this nicely, elitists. they think that because they are a higher rank then you, they can just insult you, have a pisspoor attitude and are just self-entitled. now, i am not saying that they all are, but the ones i met (whether it was through pvp, them stealing my planets or hitting my base) were.

all the things i described above made me, along with my fiancee, son and some friends, quit this game. the game had a lot of potential and i highly enjoyed it for a while, but the general population's attitude stinks and stops people from playing it and enjoying it.

If you don't want your good planets stolen, cloak them.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:04 am

Dan needs to give more incentive to pvp and more incentive to gain ranks. The pvp at low ranks these days is a self-perpetuating problem. New players get smashed by players that have freeze-ranked at 50, 100 or thereabouts for ages. So to increase their strength to rank ratio, they freeze rank. Eventually they smash the new players in pvp. And so on.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:32 am

Double Post

Last edited by Pongoloid on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:57 am

Plagueis wrote:
Dan needs to give more incentive to pvp and more incentive to gain ranks.
Couldn't agree with this more.

Yellow badges are great, but when you consider energy and time spent, the rewards for blue and red badges vs. energy and time spent just can't compare to the payoff you get from NPCs and level 6+ bases (assuming you aren't soloing those bases, of course). Hard to blame the countless players who throw on the calming amps and avoid PVP altogether, when there's really just not that much in it for them.

I don't even care about providing incentive to rank, so much as not punishing players by removing valuable and fun final-tier NPC content after they reach a certain point. Pulling in fewer terraformers while gradually losing access to NPCs with nice drops that allow you to interact with your legionmates? Who looks forward to that?

:shock:

Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:03 am

my view (once again)
I finish the PvP medals and that is it... 40 raids 600 hacks and I will be halced or whatever to have calm mission days and NPC hunts...

so many suggestions raised, no response at all, many players changed their views from again to support the change in PvP but yet no changes...
Looking forward to the rest of promised updates - new planet etc but there was again no promise of changes in PvP or to implement Arena...

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:06 am

Jeebus wrote:
the fact that anyone can steal a planet of anyone is also ridiculous. i spend money on those items that improve planets, and what happens next? someone that is rank 1k+ plus along and steals it right from underneath me. who gives a ratass that i paid real money for a better planet? noone. not the admins here, and surely not the high ranked players.

Which is why I haven't paid for artifacts that can be stolen. I mentioned this when they first came out. Dan told me (e-mail) it was part of the game. I replied that I would not be buying those artifacts. Now I might since he released 'Morphogenic Inhibitor' when I obtain my 4th one. However I am so disappointed that I cannot play effectively on my touch-pad screen as I can on my desktop. I would play a lot more often if he would fix this.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:06 pm

BrianGameAcct wrote:
Jeebus wrote:

Which is why I haven't paid for artifacts that can be stolen. I mentioned this when they first came out. Dan told me (e-mail) it was part of the game. I replied that I would not be buying those artifacts. Now I might since he released 'Morphogenic Inhibitor' when I obtain my 4th one. However I am so disappointed that I cannot play effectively on my touch-pad screen as I can on my desktop. I would play a lot more often if he would fix this.

Is there ANY browser-based game that you can play just as effectively on a thouch-pad screen as you can on a computer?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:21 am

Yes - quite a few. I've played computer games since the apple I. Yes the wooden apple computer.
Really to many to mention.
I think the very best touchpad integration is for pinball games.

Plagueis wrote:
BrianGameAcct wrote:
Jeebus wrote:

Is there ANY browser-based game that you can play just as effectively on a thouch-pad screen as you can on a computer?

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 am

Game of Thrones: Ascent works perfectly well on my tablet touch screen, and they recently ported it to iPhone and Android. Said ports are functional, but pretty buggy. But the Android port alone has 500k downloads.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:41 pm

IS this really the biggest concern for the game?

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:23 pm

juiceman wrote:

*shrug* No players, no game. Facebook games in general are dwindling, and those that aren't are also on mobile and other platforms. Without new blood it doesn't really matter what Dan adds to the game, and mobile is the best way to get new blood.

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:08 pm

Toastar wrote:
juiceman wrote:

*shrug* No players, no game. Facebook games in general are dwindling, and those that aren't are also on mobile and other platforms. Without new blood it doesn't really matter what Dan adds to the game, and mobile is the best way to get new blood.

Agreed.

New advertising, tutorial/training coupled with this would be huge.

And has been stated before, it's not like require some kind of Herculean overhaul :)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:47 am

For mobile it would definitely require quite the overhaul to optimize it for the platform, hell it already does for the pc

Senatus et Populusque Imminente

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:26 pm

My two cents as a low level player that quit and came back (I have a chronofield projector I can't use lol). As a new player begins to understand the game better they start to realize that GL is a game of resources. Upon this realization a new player then finds out the sad truth that the trading infrastructure of the game is terrible. It is so terrible I am convinced that it is intentional (to get more GPs). The GTC is a joke given its mechanics and all the real trading in GL goes down like a Mexican drug exchange (and they can go bad). GL is a great game and trading could be one of the attractive draws for new players but it is instead a necessary evil that would not take place if not for the intense demand to be able to do so. It is a huge turn off to me and I am sure many others who have played (and maybe left) this game.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Why are people so freaked out by getting disabled? People beat the **** out of me daily, i beat the **** out of them daily. They steal my ****, i steal their **** ..Who cares? Not like anyone is rolling in my house with an AK47 banging my wife, stealing my dog and taking my prized goat ffs.

A couple of clicks and you can repair with some imaginary currency you obtain with fantasy planet that produces exotic minerals that do not exist. If you cant afford it, you can have a legion mate fix your broke ship for you.

its a freakin game. Not real life. Not like its real death. Have fun ffs. If this game is driving you batty because of PVP seek therapy or booze.

And take off the halcs ffs. Dont be va jjs

Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:14 am

Redneck_King_of_Funk wrote:
Why are people so freaked out by getting disabled? People beat the **** out of me daily, i beat the **** out of them daily. They steal my ****, i steal their **** ..Who cares? Not like anyone is rolling in my house with an AK47 banging my wife, stealing my dog and taking my prized goat ffs.

A couple of clicks and you can repair with some imaginary currency you obtain with fantasy planet that produces exotic minerals that do not exist. If you cant afford it, you can have a legion mate fix your broke ship for you.

its a freakin game. Not real life. Not like its real death. Have fun ffs. If this game is driving you batty because of PVP seek therapy or booze.

And take off the halcs ffs. Dont be va jjs

Actually there are a lot of people who absolutely do not care if anyone performs an action on their ships as long as they can fairly trade with them and earn their badges back. These people are great badge trading buddies that people don't mind trading actions with any day.

In addition to legion mates repairing, they can also send out free repair nanodrones. It depends on the person that helps with the repair, whether they want to or not.

Yes, it is a game, but it does teach people how to use there resources wisely and possibly one day reach their goals. It also teach people about managing their time to get what they want.

However, pummeling a person to dust and taking away all of their productions and disabling them excessively in a day is not fair trade and there are people that do this daily.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Ludis wrote:
However, pummeling a person to dust and taking away all of their productions and disabling them excessively in a day is not fair trade and there are people that do this daily.

there is no such thing as being disabled 'excessively'. if you have action counts ... players are free to take them. anyone who does not pvp can be disabled 3x per day MAX. anyone who actively pvp's builds up their own action counts and any other player is free to knock that down to zero at any time for any reason.

had one target that i downed yesterday ... when i went to click on raid .. he had already repaired ... killed him again with 1 shot (?!?) so tried to raid again ... and again repaired ... killed him a 3rd time with another single shot and still no raid for me (i suspect a bot now ... but it did not occur to me at the time or i would have noted it for Dan). in any case, if that had been a real player, that 10 seconds of interaction would have taken care of any worries about being disabled for 24 hours.

more troublesome is the use of artis to harass another player and make their game unplayable ... but even then ... they usually have done something to get on each other's logs. the issue there is how to deal with the abuse without negatively affecting normal gameplay too much.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:30 pm
Profile WWW

Ludis wrote:

Whiners are weiners....

As Senator said, if you have actions available, people are more than within their rights to take them (even if this is more than one kill a day :O )

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Alumni of the Crimson Lances and Lords of Infinity

Rank 971, Strict SSB,Possibly the jazziest ship in the universe

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:00 pm

You've almost won me over. I'm so close to douching out and just arti spamming people and then lying dead for a day--then repeating. I can only imagine the fun and creative comms i could pick up!!! (while typing this I realized i know some people like this!)

How bout for a change of pace we all take off our weapons and defenses and have a blind one handed cok fight with crew?

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next