View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Buy artifacts 

I am concerned about the artifacts that are available to buy, notably those that permanently add stats and neural interface. Also, the energy cube is not necessary as it costs the same to fully replenish energy in "redeem points".

These artifacts that boosts stats permanently can offset the balance in the game drastically. Imagine a Rank 10 with a battleship or even a dreadnought and tons of strong weapons.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:40 pm

I agree. I can see this being a problem as well. Even though players can get boosts, they should still take time to level like others.

I'll make sure only the temporary boosts are available for purchase.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:16 pm

In some ways I would agree, however moreover when you consider a game such as this is not free to run (or at least I don't think it is), I think anything that can possibly boost sales is a good thing as it gives incentive to continue on with the game. With that said, the prices of stat boosting artifacts was expensive. If your going to buy 2000 points and focus on a specific stat I think you should be allowed to do that if your going to spend that kind of money. When you further consider that buying the energy booster to level quicker and gain 5 points over the 3 that the rescued prisoners give or even the added defense/attack/researchers/energy that the androids give is 2/3 points I think if thats what you want to spend the points on with how expensive it is than so be it. Also added energy/att/def etc. seems harmless to me because when you think about it, I would rather add space and put a module on that adds WAY more to the bonus than anything the androids would give. Also the ship bot only gives 2 spaces on the ship so its not a crazy increase and like I said it is expensive.

I myself wouldn't buy artifacts as I am built like an artifact factory, however I see the value in it both monetarily and for those who aren't heavily invested in artifacts.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Yes but if bringing in business by 'destroying' the game isn't a good idea. It is expensive yes, but some can afford it.
It costs 20 USD for 200 galaxy points.

SHIP BOTS
Assuming the ship-bot costs 25 points (sorry couldn't remember its cost), the player could buy 8 bots -> 16 decks.
100 USD -> 90 decks.
500 USD -> 500 decks ship (initial 50+450 decks). Not everyone will pay this much but i am sure there are a select few who can afford this. And due to no limits to stats per level, it could make a low level become extremely strong.

ENGINEER ANDROID
If someone instead buy all engineer androids, again assuming @ 25 points each,
100 USD -> 120 energy.
500 USD -> 600 energy.
So if a rank 1 comes in an invested 100 USD, it would be extremely simple to rank up many times. If 500 USD is invested, it could bring the player above rank 60 or so within the same hour?

COMBINATION
So combining these two methods, say 500 USD for energy and 500 USD for decks, the player will definitely gain a very big upper hand in the game. Arguably that people won't spend that much, but who knows? Better be safe than sorry. Just concerned that maybe 1 person may come along and do it and just dominates the game and the only way to catch up is follow suit. It may bring in money, but people will leave as the only way to play it is to pay, and I am sure that would end up destroying the entire game.

Also take note of races having +10% energy and decks. Combination - disaster

NOTE: Calculations may not be accurate. The above method could no longer be carried out as the items are no longer on sale (as of April 21st)

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 pm

I don't want to be an ass, but after reading your calculations, you pretty much bolstered my point. If you are willing to pay 500 dollars on a facebook game (even 100 dollars) then you deserve to pretty much own the hell out of anyone. Now, that being said, If you chose to spend 20 bucks a month on this game I see no problem with it because you are upgrading as you go (similar to everyone else) you are simply gaining stats faster.

I am all for balance within a game, but games are made for fun in most cases but with a mindset that some sort of revenue has to come in, in order to support the game. I honestly believe that with the expensive artifacts the way they were, people aren't going to rush out and buy 500 dollars worth of stat boosting artifacts and if one or two do it, then that sort of thing gives the developer more of a reason to continue on with the project, instead of in 6 months getting bored with it and never updating it again.

You throw 500 dollars (and even 100 dollars) out there like its nothing, when that is a good sum of money. For me, its just under a full days worth of work ($100 USD; forgot to clarify) and if you have the money to simply spend like that go for it. But at the same time you have to realize that when someone spends hundreds of dollars on a game to make them higher than the competition, they usually get bored a LOT faster then normal players who are keeping up with eachother because they have no one to be competitive with.

Also, since you might be new (I dunno) 120 energy is nothing when you consider energy additions. That is like 12ish levels worth of points and also you can add a LOT of energy with the modules. 90 decks is around 18 levels worth of deck space but 100 dollars is quite a bit for just deck space. Sure additional bonuses like 10% would be nice for that sort of thing, but sticking with your numbers it will still only equal 132 or 99 decks. Nothing to get riled up about really.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm

:) i did say i agreed with you it being expensive although it may not be clear. The first word was "yes" to the expensive part to clear things up

Whoever leaves first, be it the boosted player or normal player, the game will suffer nevertheless.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 am

Barracuda wrote:
:) i did say i agreed with you it being expensive although it may not be clear. The first word was "yes" to the expensive part to clear things up

Whoever leaves first, be it the boosted player or normal player, the game will suffer nevertheless.

Unfortunately I still disagree with you. The game does not suffer as it (as I already stated) gives the developer a reason to keep going with the game when he is making a little bit of money and is able to keep the game running.

If your going to argue that it will suffer, please explain how it will suffer. It seems to me that you are a low level player who is of course going to lose to higher players. You can't come at it in a "All players are equal" mindset because in all truth we aren't. We have spent more time (and maybe even money) on our accounts so you have to realize that of course your going to get beat when less time/money is spent.

It just seems like a sour ideal from a person who either doesn't like the difference in level vs. power when you say that it will ruin it without proofs. Your only proof is that if you spend an enormous ammount of money all at once you become powerful. But your not taking into account doing it over time as people are leveling up. I doubt people will drop 100 bucks all at once for this but if they want to then its there money. Also as I stated doing so won't help a bunch. Ok you gain 90 decks but if your level 10 and don't have research planets or even if you do have a bunch of research planets you still have to wait to actually research the item then turn around and save up enough money to implement that item on your ship.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Personally i think the buy of artifacts should be allowed as long as a person who does not pay is still caplable of being a major player without some insane level of activity, and from what I have seen Dan has acomplished this.

People who pay are be able to garuntee boosts that non-payers can only hope that they get often, which they usually do. Like uncolonizing planets, payers can do it the moment they want but non-payers have to wait to gain some galaxy points from the daily reward.

Now does this hurt the game?
Possibly, if payers are given insane boosts that non-payers have no way of defending/countering agaisnt yes the game will suffer, but by allowing moderate boosts that have no permenant effect and any non-player is capable of matching/countering. Its all how its limited.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]