View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Why do ship modules (parts) switch position when uninstalled 

When I uninstall or install the different modules/parts on my ship, their position change in the list. Is this done on purpose to increase the time for which the part needs to be be repaired? Seems like a tricky programming tactic, to me, to make us use credits quicker.

For example, when i'm uninstalling/installing weapons or conduits, I like to go straight down the line. Well if you do that, I have to be careful because the modules switch positions, so sometimes I wind up re-installing the module that I had just uninstalled. So now I have to uninstall the module again, doubling the damage caused from uninstalling.

Could the switch-a-roo tactic be removed?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:34 am

It might be due to the parts individual conditions being different? I'm not sure because I don't get this problem, when I remove a module, it stays right where it was (potentially because I use the sort functions in the ship menu)

Offical Stuff-Knower of Mist Nebula Corps

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:03 am

This has happened to me before, I forget which browser did it, but one browser will swap them around when you install/uninstall. It doesn't even seem like it happened all that much, but I know in Firefox it doesn't do that.

I know for a fact that one of the mainstream browsers has this condition, and it's just that browser.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:16 am

RigorMortis wrote:
This has happened to me before, I forget which browser did it, but one browser will swap them around when you install/uninstall. It doesn't even seem like it happened all that much, but I know in Firefox it doesn't do that.

I know for a fact that one of the mainstream browsers has this condition, and it's just that browser.

It's chrome.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:22 am

RigorMortis wrote:

That'll explain why I've never had this problem~

Offical Stuff-Knower of Mist Nebula Corps

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:43 am

i've noticed also when attacking a base or doing some pvp, the listings of the ship modules shift around their placements

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 am

wpriester wrote:
When I uninstall or install the different modules/parts on my ship, their position change in the list. Is this done on purpose to increase the time for which the part needs to be be repaired? Seems like a tricky programming tactic, to me, to make us use credits quicker.

For example, when i'm uninstalling/installing weapons or conduits, I like to go straight down the line. Well if you do that, I have to be careful because the modules switch positions, so sometimes I wind up re-installing the module that I had just uninstalled. So now I have to uninstall the module again, doubling the damage caused from uninstalling.

it happens because the way the sorting is done... a secondary sort really needs to be added to sort by module type and then by unique module ID... then the modules of the same type won't change order

Officer Namba1 of The Unknown, Lv.666+ Dark Smuggler

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:08 am

RigorMortis wrote:

this statement is incorect it does occur in firefox

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:25 am

sith squirrel wrote:
RigorMortis wrote:

this statement is incorect it does occur in firefox

I haven't had it happen to me, or at least if it does it's so rare I don't notice it.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:30 am

heppens to me at least once every other time i take of my relays or ion pulse balistes and its rather annoying

Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:35 am

It's kinda random from what I see

When I'm about to rank up or pop cube/tri-max for energy refill, i always uninstall my relay in the same way. Namely:
go to ship page
Click open energy tab
Click once on Item (sort by Item)
start uninstalling (now relays are on top)
The weird thing is, I always uninstall the top relay first, and sometimes it moves to the bottom and I can pretty much click the same place 4 times to uninstall them all. And sometimes they stay as they are and I need to click 4 different places.
All 4 relay are of the exact same condition(well, they are not same when i'm half way through uninstalling but that's that)

I do the same stuff every single time on the same browser.... and it doesn't give a stable result~

I'm using IE btw....

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:01 am

The Modules automatically sort by status and by how damaged they are / what their sell value is (same thing just something quicker to notice when they are online)

because of this additional sorting the modules behave weirdly.

I have brought this to Dan's attention and he's promised me that an Idea I put forth ages ago will be implemented to make managing modules and artifacts much easier.

-Q

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:46 pm
wpriester wrote:

Has anyone ever found the reason of why this is happening? I know it is not the case for everyone so it must be a setting somewhere. I have tried several browsers and it was the same on all of them. Also tried to clear the cache and cookies, it didn't help.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:46 am

The "Abilities" section changing up ever so slightly is a pain as well, especially when you accidentally use up a charge on a module that requires GP to refill. I'm looking at you, Te'vul's Core. :evil:

Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:02 am

RigorMortis wrote:
but I know in Firefox it doesn't do that.

Then you know wrong. It still happens in FF.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Happens to me all the time, but i'm always using Chrome, so that might be the case.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Zombiekiller531 wrote:
Happens to me all the time, but i'm always using Chrome, so that might be the case.

Pretty sure there's nothing browser specific to this one. Certainly happens to me in both Chrome and Puffin, though I suspect recent Puffin builds have switched over to webkit.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:16 am

Didn't bother to read the thread, so no idea if this has been mentioned yet or not.

I don't think it's some 'programming tactic' or anything to make us use credits faster (I don't even see what Dan would gain from that), but I would suggest that it's simply the sorting order. If you sort alphabetically, four modules with the same name obviously don't really have an order. They are equal, as far as 'alphabetically' is concerned, but they obviously still need to be put in some order so I think the game just randomises it.

Of course, this doesn't explain why sometimes the order will remain consistent; often when uninstalling modules of the same name (relays, usually), their order appears to remain the same. Sometimes, even, the uninstalled module will move to the top/bottom of the list and I can keep the cursor in the same spot to uninstall all four modules.

Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:15 am

Also noticed that the effects a ship has sometimes switch around

Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]