View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 99% ?! 

So, I did another scan blitz tonight. As usual when I start, it shows 99% chance to find a planet. So, how is it that during the time I have 99% showing, I had 14 scans that were unable to find a planet. Really?! I know statistics. I'm one of those freaks that actually enjoyed the class in college. This is HIGHLY IMPROBABLE that the 1% chance would pop up that much. I'm just saying that the RNG equation that produces these rolls may need to be looked at.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:32 am

The chance that is shown may need some tweaks, as it is an approximation based on many factors. We'll take a look.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:40 am

99% might be the chance shown for finding a planet. What happens next could be, as I postulated in another thread, that if the find is successful then another roll takes place taking into consideration your scan vs the found planet cloak. Is the planet unoccupied ? It will reveal itself. Is the planet occupied ? Then the roll takes place. Just think about it as a good thing. You might not want your scan tab to be full of nice planets but occupied by players 200 ranks higher than you. That's how I look at it.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:14 am

DMDMDM wrote:
99% might be the chance shown for finding a planet. What happens next could be, as I postulated in another thread, that if the find is successful then another roll takes place taking into consideration your scan vs the found planet cloak. Is the planet unoccupied ? It will reveal itself. Is the planet occupied ? Then the roll takes place. Just think about it as a good thing. You might not want your scan tab to be full of nice planets but occupied by players 200 ranks higher than you. That's how I look at it.

thats when having scan purger comes in handy

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:27 am

Absolutely nothing needs to be tweaked in 'finding' planets. The purpose of cloaking was added when he added the my cloak versus your scan feature. Prior to that scanners at max level completely negated cloaking. Now something that 'would' be cool is if the system auto-rerolled or informed you when your scan could not 'penetrate' the cloaking on a planet.

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 am

I found also, that if you try to scan too fast in succession, it caused a fail every other scan. (Basically the scan after a scan) If I just slowed down, (since the planet tab seems to be a bit slow in loading) my failures ceased. Like purgers removing the planet from your database, each scan adds a planet to your database. This can take time as your listings grow.

Just my observations anyway. I too had ridiculous failures at 99%, albeit, it only cost energy, it doesn't affect future chance.

~ Drake

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]