View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Official Recurring Lag Thread 

PLURVIOUS wrote:
But just in case my connection is in question, here are the results of a speed test = http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast. ... 148884.png

Right now, You Tube is streaming his tablet and I'm still getting 12 Mbps (which is far more than a game like GL would ever need). I pay for the XFINITY Blast 50 Mbps connection and I never have lag issues with other sites. It really is just Dan's game. 14 ms latency. That means my connection supports 71 clicks per second. When Dan's game is lagging, I get MAYBE 1 or 2 in per second.

Now, how is it my connection?

Welcome to my world

A leader of Ghosts -

Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
Mystic71 wrote:
Fix it Dan?

Even if your right and it is the GL servers, do you have any idea what a new server costs? And how much the GL load is too even figure out what would be needed? I don't, but ill venture to guess that a 600 dollar ASUS from best buy isn't going to cut it.

A new Cisco B420 without storage is 37000 give or take so ill take a stab at saying Dans co-location host isn't keen on upgrading because a few people can't attack faster then 2 times per second on a free game.

Yep we send money in but remember it is a free game.

--myst

Looking at the tracert results, it looks like he's using rackspace. I would suggest AWS instead, but either way a "ramp up" of cloud-based capacity is pretty easy and is approximately linear in terms of cost versus load (not some big upfront investment as you suggest). I don't know about rackspace but Amazon has APIs to rampup/rampdown on demand and has more capacity than gL would ever need. Rackspace probably has something similar?

Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm

I experienced severe lag this evening. The blue bar of death kept appearing and I couldn't do anything without it freezing... It's never been this bad before.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:46 am

whatisthis wrote:
I experienced severe lag this evening. The blue bar of death kept appearing and I couldn't do anything without it freezing... It's never been this bad before.

Devastation - Rank 1209 - Proud Officer of Imperium of Namalak

Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:16 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
OK, lag has nothing to do with my wireless network. I hooked my laptop directly to my Comcast modem using an Ethernet cable. Still getting the intermittent lag (about every 5th to 10th click is severely delayed).

Also, regarding wireshark, I'm wokring on that. I haven't ever used that program, but I'm playing with it to get a feel for it. Also looking at sysinternals process monitor (awesome debugging tool, by the way). Will post results in the near future.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Quote:
Should have known it wouldn't last

U quoting Fluffy?

Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:26 pm

LPenguin wrote:
Quote:
Should have known it wouldn't last

U quoting Fluffy?

Isn't the first time I've seen your witty posts... He got banned, get over it. All you're gonna do is cause a fist-fight.

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Let me know how things are getting along, PLURV. Any progress with the suggestions I made?

If you open the Firebug console whilst playing GL, take a gander at the files that are loading when you get a particular amount of lag.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Malevolentia wrote:
Let me know how things are getting along, PLURV. Any progress with the suggestions I made?

If you open the Firebug console whilst playing GL, take a gander at the files that are loading when you get a particular amount of lag.

No progress to report, but I haven't been lagging today. A little bit yesterday, but I wasn't on that long.

To be honest, I'm getting kind of burned out on GL. There are problems with lag, and the RNG really does not work correctly. All I do is build purgers, scan about 300 crap planets, kill a bunch of flamehawks, then repeat the next day. I can't seem to scan anything better than a large rich, yet all my legion mates and friends tell me they are scanning 5X+ rich and Dysons on a farily regular basis. And prisoners - I keep adding AP, and my prisoner drop rate remains unchanged. I went from 40K AP/hr to 65K AP/hr and still get about 9-11 prisoners per day. I'm not saying there's some conspiracy against me in particular, just that things don't work right for some players and the overall odds are skewed, leaving some players with extreme luck and others with extreme bad luck.

Just had a Mod tell me he's tired of seeing all my posts "reported" by other forum members. I always thought that moderation was based on the content of the posts, not reports by the number of reports (which can obviously be abused). Apparently, if you want someone kicked from the forum, all you have to do is report anything and everything they post. The atmosphere here in the forums isn't really helping and I have never once heard anything from Dan despite having contacted him (through PM here and through the "contact developers" thing) several times. Bottom line is, he really doesn't care if I have issues or not. $50 every 2 weeks on GP I guess is just a drop in the bucket for him.

Malevolentia wrote:
NAT settings, priority settings, your DNS or a few other things which could just be funny with GL

NAT: I'm not using NAT. I would need NAT (network address translation) if I needed more incoming connections that I had public IPs. Large corporate networks do stuff like that when they need to open ports between data centers (for example). None of us are using NAT at home. I have one public IP address leased from Comcast and a small internal Wifi network that uses non-routable IPs. There are 2 PCs, 1 laptop, 2 tablets, and 2 smartphones in the household. I've lagged on my laptop when I had it hook directly to the comcast cable modem with an Ethernet cable. I hope you understand this rules out anything in the wireless network as the culprit.

Priority settings: Don't know what you mean by that, but I keep going back to the observation that every other site is working when GL lags. You can't ignore that.

DNS: I use Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8, mostly because it never redirects to search pages and the like (which Comcast does do). Given that I can type a URL like "facebook.com" and get to a website in my browser, DNS is working.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:01 pm

PLURVIOUS wrote:
Malevolentia wrote:

No progress to report, but I haven't been lagging today. A little bit yesterday, but I wasn't on that long.

To be honest, I'm getting kind of burned out on GL. There are problems with lag, and the RNG really does not work correctly. All I do is build purgers, scan about 300 crap planets, kill a bunch of flamehawks, then repeat the next day. I can't seem to scan anything better than a large rich, yet all my legion mates and friends tell me they are scanning 5X+ rich and Dysons on a farily regular basis. And prisoners - I keep adding AP, and my prisoner drop rate remains unchanged. I went from 40K AP/hr to 65K AP/hr and still get about 9-11 prisoners per day. I'm not saying there's some conspiracy against me in particular, just that things don't work right for some players and the overall odds are skewed, leaving some players with extreme luck and others with extreme bad luck.

Just had a Mod tell me he's tired of seeing all my posts "reported" by other forum members. I always thought that moderation was based on the content of the posts, not reports by the number of reports (which can obviously be abused). Apparently, if you want someone kicked from the forum, all you have to do is report anything and everything they post. The atmosphere here in the forums isn't really helping and I have never once heard anything from Dan despite having contacted him (through PM here and through the "contact developers" thing) several times. Bottom line is, he really doesn't care if I have issues or not. $50 every 2 weeks on GP I guess is just a drop in the bucket for him.

Malevolentia wrote:
NAT settings, priority settings, your DNS or a few other things which could just be funny with GL

NAT: I'm not using NAT. I would need NAT (network address translation) if I needed more incoming connections that I had public IPs. Large corporate networks do stuff like that when they need to open ports between data centers (for example). None of us are using NAT at home. I have one public IP address leased from Comcast and a small internal Wifi network that uses non-routable IPs. There are 2 PCs, 1 laptop, 2 tablets, and 2 smartphones in the household. I've lagged on my laptop when I had it hook directly to the comcast cable modem with an Ethernet cable. I hope you understand this rules out anything in the wireless network as the culprit.

Priority settings: Don't know what you mean by that, but I keep going back to the observation that every other site is working when GL lags. You can't ignore that.

DNS: I use Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8, mostly because it never redirects to search pages and the like (which Comcast does do). Given that I can type a URL like "facebook.com" and get to a website in my browser, DNS is working.

That doesn't completely rule out that it's wireless. In fact, having lots of devices at home only narrows it down to either your router or your modem (Or both), assuming that it is to do with your wireless network. I, of course, realise that this may not be the case.

This is for NAT on the 360, but maybe you could translate some of it into sense for the PC ; http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... 24540.aspx

This does show that NAT is used in quite a lot of homes, not just for businesses.

It does suck that you're unlucky; I know how you feel. I killed a few thousand NPCs before getting my first T.O. Troop Carrier, and for me that was a long time! I had been playing for like a year before seeing one. I get them as often as most, now. Everybody has days, weeks and even months where things are #&$# and some people don't stick it out long enough to see the tables turn.

I reported your retarded comment because I was insulted and felt like you were quick to pass off the possibility it was an issue on your end, when the possibility exists. It was less about the insult and more because I'd like to get this resolved; whilst most of the reason for this is because your bi-weekly "Oh god, the lag!" posts are getting annoying I can also appreciate how frustrating it is to have a game you know, love and enjoy ruined by something as trivial as glacier-slow speed. This is why I came along to try and help you out, rather than just telling you to STFU or something. The moderator may have been able to handle it differently, for better or worse, but we should discuss their decision in private, if at all, and talking about it here will only serve to get one of us banned and/or the thread locked. That doesn't look productive to me; it's best if we stick to the topic at hand.

I'm guessing that either Wireshark has yet to produce anything meaningful for you or you have given up on it due to it failing to produce anything meaningful.

You've probably already mentioned it, but I forget if you have. Even if you've not mentioned it, you've likely tried this; play GL with nothing else running. Close any internet-using background programs (non-essential, obviously), turn off all other devices in the house and just see if it's a priority issue. If other stuff is going on and you have a modem which isn't particularly great at multi-tasking then maybe GL is getting buried. I don't see things loading within a webpage that your browser already lists as 'loaded' being high on the wireless network's list of priorities. I think you already mentioned it, but how are other FB games faring? Any lag? Anything comparable to GL? To you play those other games often enough to have accurate data? If you could get a program that does it or feel like having a day or week of boring work then you could record your data speeds for GL (I'm not even sure if you could do that for a single object within a page) and send them to me and then we could at least formulate a professional looking statistical report to send to Dan.

Or we go jump for ordinal data and survey the "opinions" of the GL player-base, but how many people would reply might be lacking... We'd want, IMO, at least 100 surveys.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:50 am

PLURVIOUS wrote:
But just in case my connection is in question, here are the results of a speed test = http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast. ... 148884.png

Right now, You Tube is streaming his tablet and I'm still getting 12 Mbps (which is far more than a game like GL would ever need). I pay for the XFINITY Blast 50 Mbps connection and I never have lag issues with other sites. It really is just Dan's game. 14 ms latency. That means my connection supports 71 clicks per second. When Dan's game is lagging, I get MAYBE 1 or 2 in per second.

I realise the thread has moved well past this point. But i just want to say...
Damn you all. The BEST i can get is 2 clicks a second. Thats running at full speed, the best standard net connection you can get in Australia. Unless you have a way to get past the singapore exchange, or whatever it is, thats the best we get. sometimes i might get Three! clicks a second. But i doubt it.

We have VERY different ideas about what is unplayable, thats for sure. When i complain about lag, its 5-15 second delays (Had that problem for a few months)

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Not sure if there is anything going on tonight, but it has been running fine all day for me, but recently got really bad

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:37 am
Profile WWW

Cendant wrote:
Not sure if there is anything going on tonight, but it has been running fine all day for me, but recently got really bad

Last minute rush for Scruuge.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:57 am

Horrible lag for me the past 30 minutes while NPCing.
10-20 seconds of Blue Bar between almost every attack.

~edit~
20 minutes later, still horrible.
Going to just give up for the night.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 am

tobysmith22 wrote:
Horrible lag for me the past 30 minutes while NPCing.
10-20 seconds of Blue Bar between almost every attack.

~edit~
20 minutes later, still horrible.
Going to just give up for the night.

It's New Year. Internet is gonna be flooded with high traffic thanks to Skype calls, phone calls, mass messaging, and emails, etc.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:20 pm

PLURVIOUS wrote:

When the game "lags" for you, your connection is as good as mine when I am NOT lagging at all. In short I fail to view your "lag problem" as an actual problem, and more of an oh well it's just not responding optimally. Once you get down to 1 click every 3-4 seconds then you can talk about lag problems dude. Even at 1 click every 3-4 seconds holding off multiple attackers while defending is quite possible with even a fair ship.

You might also want to take into account that it could be more of a browser side problem causing a delay in the redrawing of the window after every click. That probably reduces your possible clicks per second by a good margin, I mean you have tried scanning with 1k+ planets in your list before right? It's a horrible experience.

The Prisoner wrote:
You know something's wrong when the Trade Outpost sub-forum has the most interesting topics

Well it was an ill considered idea in the first place.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:33 am

Serne wrote:
PLURVIOUS wrote:

When the game "lags" for you, your connection is as good as mine when I am NOT lagging at all. In short I fail to view your "lag problem" as an actual problem, and more of an oh well it's just not responding optimally. Once you get down to 1 click every 3-4 seconds then you can talk about lag problems dude. Even at 1 click every 3-4 seconds holding off multiple attackers while defending is quite possible with even a fair ship.

You might also want to take into account that it could be more of a browser side problem causing a delay in the redrawing of the window after every click. That probably reduces your possible clicks per second by a good margin, I mean you have tried scanning with 1k+ planets in your list before right? It's a horrible experience.

Yea, I get the severe lag periodically (20-30 seconds per click). The lighter lag described above much more often. It's more of a problem for NPC in that it slows down my ability to keep killing them at a decent rate. PVP, scanning, trading, and other stuff that is a click every now and then is not affected unless the lag is bad. When there is no lag, GL seems to be able to respond as fast I can click (multiple clicks per second). Yea, and I know all about the planet list refresh delay. That is a client-side / browser issue. If I'm lagging during a scan run, I usually can;t tell because the refresh of the planet list is slower than the lag. When I notice that lag kicks in, I sometimes go and so a scan run because of that.

And in response to some above post, it is NOT my wireless; like I said, I've got GL to lag when connected directly to the Comcast modem via Ethernet - I did this to rule out wirelsss. You all talk about 5 or 6 devices like it's a lot. And rarely are they ALL online at the same time anyway; I happen to own that many various devices, but I only use one at a time (2 if I'm watching Netflix while playing). And my phone is a device on that list, connected to the WiFi,. but it's not doing anything with the bandwidth. With a 50 Mb connection to Comcast and using wireless G/N, I can have 2 devices streaming Netflix or YouTube, etc and STILL get fast enough Internet on my laptop to not notice on almost any site (except GL, that is). And when I'm not lagging, it really is fast. Click 5 or 6 times (or however many my finger can produce) clicks per second easily.

And, the lag changes - it comes and goes without me doing anything on my end to restart a browser or anything.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 am

Generally when faast clicking there is a code within GL, that seems to pause the clicks for an instance, this can appear as lag, something to with anti-bot programming....

mind you main causes of lag for the majority of people include computer (laptop or whatever) periodically doing updates.
also if your moving around , each time you move the portable device it seems to want to update, teh connection which seems to install some lag.

and then we have the increased solar flare activity of late which in itself seems to cause problems.

Generally though 2-3 clicks a second is pretty good going for GL with its anti-bot and anti-spam filters .....

personally we all put up with strange lag issues coming and going, its the permamnt lag which is most annoying..... generally this is server ramping up or damping down cycles.

(not a tech wizard just observant) or Not you decide

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 pm

The wireless signal may not be a problem, but the modem itself. It might, for whatever reason be slowing down the GL signal every so often. Plugging yourself into the modem with a cable isn't going to solve this at all. If your modem has a built-in firewall that has some difficulty processing GL then it may be the fault of your network before anything even goes wireless and the best bet might be to replace your modem. What modem are you using? I seem to do fine on a BT infinity modem, the newer BT infinity modem, the ee brightbox and also a sky modem.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Malevolentia wrote:
The wireless signal may not be a problem, but the modem itself. It might, for whatever reason be slowing down the GL signal every so often. Plugging yourself into the modem with a cable isn't going to solve this at all. If your modem has a built-in firewall that has some difficulty processing GL then it may be the fault of your network before anything even goes wireless and the best bet might be to replace your modem. What modem are you using? I seem to do fine on a BT infinity modem, the newer BT infinity modem, the ee brightbox and also a sky modem.

I'm using whatever modem Comcast gave me, Motorola Surfboard something. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that there is a problem with the modem. Given that every other site works, we would have to then conclude that the GL website is using some IP protocol that no other site is using. What do you suggest that protocol is? As far as I can tell, Galaxy legion is all done over HTTP (and maybe some of the Facebook stuff is HTTPS, I don't know). Maleventia, What could Galaxy Legion be doing that no other site appears to be doing? Do you have some specific sites I should try that would also have this type of lag because of whatever is wrong with my modem?

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next