View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Design Error 

Location: Where are the QSES? AMIRITE??? AMIRITE???Who is "the fly"?!How long can you make this?
webguydan wrote:
We will address this with a change sometime in January. This will enforce one screen per ship at all times.

Do you mean one screen open per account, or one screen for one specific enemy ship, unlimited other tabs?

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:47 am

Yes, do you mean no multi tabbing on 1 comp? And how wil this effect Utube music lissing and NPC killing?

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:51 am

Im sorry. Thanks again Dan for dealing with this quickly and decisively.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:35 am

I will be very disappointed if Dan disallow multitab - you can't manual repair without losing your window on an enemy or planet.

Let's build a list of 'problems' that may arise if Dan disallow multitab :
1. You can't manual repair while fighting a PVP without bumping the target off the BT (not a big deal, but using a repair nano is slowing your pvp pace)
2. You can't keep tab on enemies halc'ed (well, we SHOULDN'T be able to kill halc'ed enemies, so Dan shouldn't worry about this)

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 am
Profile WWW

Hes given us an answer I say we wait and see what Dan delivers before we start thinking of negatives.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:00 am

A few ways to do this but please dont use one of those methods that end your session or log you out when you tab away that will kill this game as many of us have the game open while working or doing other stuff, which allows us to play more often. Some games out there end your session and that will really suck to the point it wont be worth playing.

Cheers

A leader of Ghosts -

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:04 am

xtendacom wrote:
A few ways to do this but please dont use one of those methods that end your session or log you out when you tab away that will kill this game as many of us have the game open while working or doing other stuff, which allows us to play more often. Some games out there end your session and that will really suck to the point it wont be worth playing.

Cheers

Agreed. Don't let the session expire.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:31 am
Profile WWW

Not sure how a multitab ban would even work, what with 1000 browsers and versions of each. Good luck getting that to work with no bugs. My bank is having enough trouble just with IE, and I bet they have a decent number of people working on it. With a nice, fat budget due to security issues.

And whats to stop a power Linux junkie from coding their own simple web browser(s)?

The only ways I can see (with my admittedly limited experience here) to address multitabs on a single PC would simply turn cheating into a trick that a only few people can do. At first. But at a cost of an increased demand for a 'fix' from legitimate users. You can see it in this thread already. And increasing the demand will likely end up increasing the: odds of success, the speed in which it happens, and the collective ability level of those who are trying to work against you.

I'm not an expert programmer, so I could be wrong. But what if someone does find a way around it? OR more than one person? Then, one of them posts a video, or lets their legion members dl the new 'hack'. I would (probably uselessly) advise this: Stick to single devices, and try to maintain as much simplicity as possible in any fixes.

Again, I could be totally backwards, I am NOT an expert.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

I am Glad that Dan is at least addressing the problem because there are many other uses of the multi device glitch that many are not even considering that are not as apparent. Such as leveling ally 2x every 20 hours, doubling your resource collection and doubling up on daily reward collections, not just double disables. Thank you Dan

Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:35 pm

ydnar wrote:
Not sure how a multitab ban would even work, what with 1000 browsers and versions of each. Good luck getting that to work with no bugs. My bank is having enough trouble just with IE, and I bet they have a decent number of people working on it. With a nice, fat budget due to security issues.

And whats to stop a power Linux junkie from coding their own simple web browser(s)?

The only ways I can see (with my admittedly limited experience here) to address multitabs on a single PC would simply turn cheating into a trick that a only few people can do. At first. But at a cost of an increased demand for a 'fix' from legitimate users. You can see it in this thread already. And increasing the demand will likely end up increasing the: odds of success, the speed in which it happens, and the collective ability level of those who are trying to work against you.

I'm not an expert programmer, so I could be wrong. But what if someone does find a way around it? OR more than one person? Then, one of them posts a video, or lets their legion members dl the new 'hack'. I would (probably uselessly) advise this: Stick to single devices, and try to maintain as much simplicity as possible in any fixes.

Again, I could be totally backwards, I am NOT an expert.

Building programs, browsers, scripts, etc that work around the navigational structure of the game is expressly forbidden by the Terms of Use and will result in a ban for the offending player(s).

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:16 pm

I dont think this is a huge problem anymore. The fact that a high profile user of this was called out and ended up banned is, I belive, enough to reduce this to a non issue. Reason? because those who use it risk, just like any tos breakers, losing their entire progress in the game. The fact this was called out shows that it can be detected and dealt with

in my opinion It is not worth limiting honest players to 1 tab only, making the game very hard to play effectivly, to crack down nor is it worth spending a while programming it in when the time could be used to create content

Stark Tech Inside

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Peticks wrote:
I dont think this is a huge problem anymore. The fact that a high profile user of this was called out and ended up banned is, I belive, enough to reduce this to a non issue. Reason? because those who use it risk, just like any tos breakers, losing their entire progress in the game. The fact this was called out shows that it can be detected and dealt with

in my opinion It is not worth limiting honest players to 1 tab only, making the game very hard to play effectivly, to crack down nor is it worth spending a while programming it in when the time could be used to create content

I do partly agree with this, the fact there is now a way to provide Dan evidence.

However! Something still needs to be done to stop people who do it without getting caught and this update will level the playing field once and for all, it will all come down to strategy and your production stats.

I am looking forward to this update.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:31 pm

So we will no longer be able to have a planet on one tab, and the trade window
on another so you can build structures quicker & easier?
How about when you run out of Time Manipulators, and you leave disabled ships on a tab
to move onto another to disable more while you wait for the timer to run out?

Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Peticks wrote:

Who got banned now?

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Alumni of the Crimson Lances and Lords of Infinity

Rank 971, Strict SSB,Possibly the jazziest ship in the universe

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:01 pm

DariousTheDark wrote:
So we will no longer be able to have a planet on one tab, and the trade window
on another so you can build structures quicker & easier?
How about when you run out of Time Manipulators, and you leave disabled ships on a tab
to move onto another to disable more while you wait for the timer to run out?

That's the point, you aren't supposed to do that.

Quick, ban him!

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:08 pm

http://galaxylegion.com/terms.html

Other than this statement :

We reserve the right at any time to:
Change the terms and conditions of this Agreement;
Change the Game, including eliminating or discontinuing any content on or feature of the Game; or
Change any fees or charges for use of the Game.

It does not state "opening a 2nd or 3rd tab to play the game" as an offense.

While using the Game or Materials, you agree not to:

Restrict or inhibit any other player, user or member from using the Game, including, without limitation, by means of "hacking" or defacing any portion of the Game;
Use the Game or Materials for any unlawful purpose;
Use more than one account to play the game;
Allow someone else to access your account, or transfer ownership of your account;
Express or imply that any statements you make are endorsed by us, without our prior written consent;
Transmit
(a) any content or information that is unlawful, fraudulent, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene or otherwise
objectionable, or infringes our or any third party's intellectual property or other rights;
(b) any material, non-public information about companies without the authorization to do so;
(c) any trade secret of any third party; or (d) any advertisements, solicitations, chain letters, pyramid schemes, investment opportunities or other unsolicited
commercial communication (except as otherwise expressly permitted by us),
Engage in spamming or flooding;
Transmit any software or other materials that contain any viruses, worms, trojan horses, defects, date bombs, time bombs or other items of a destructive nature;
Modify, adapt, sub-license, translate, sell, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the Game or Materials;
Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in the Game or Materials;
"Frame" or "mirror" any part of the Game without our prior written authorization;
Use any robot, spider, Game search/retrieval application or other manual or automatic device or process to retrieve, index, "data mine" or in any way reproduce or
circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Game or its contents;
Use or exploit errors in design, features which have not been documented, and/or "program bugs" to gain materials or access that would otherwise not be possible or available; or
Harvest or collect information about Game players or members without their express consent.

The opening a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th tag has been done since the game was created, and has never been an issue/hack/bug/ban-able offense.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:43 pm

DariousTheDark wrote:
It does not state "opening a 2nd or 3rd tab to play the game" as an offense.

It doesn't state using multiple devices as an offense either, and yet:

Peticks wrote:
The fact that a high profile user of this was called out and ended up banned is, I belive, enough to reduce this to a non issue. Reason? because those who use it risk, just like any tos breakers, losing their entire progress in the game. The fact this was called out shows that it can be detected and dealt with

There is this little rule:

Use or exploit errors in design, features which have not been documented, and/or "program bugs" to gain materials or access that would otherwise not be possible or available

If we are accepting that being able to use multiple tabs is an error in design, like using multiple devices, then if someone can be banned for using multiple devices they must also be banned for using multiple tabs. Sorry, guess I won't be seeing you again.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:50 pm

FerrusManus wrote:

If we are accepting that being able to use multiple tabs is an error in design, like using multiple devices, then if someone can be banned for using multiple devices they must also be banned for using multiple tabs. Sorry, guess I won't be seeing you again.

I see you and your crew is still here after multiple base badging, so, we'll see.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 pm

DariousTheDark wrote:
FerrusManus wrote:

I see you and your crew is still here after multiple base badging, so, we'll see.

1) I wasn't there at that time, I've only been in EotS for 8 months.

2) There was no reasonable way to avoid that bug; it wasn't willful like opening a new tab or using a second device.

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:56 pm

This is brilliant!!!! Thanks Dan

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next