View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Enemy players that don't belong on Battle tab. 

I apologise if this has been brought up before - I didn't come across anything from a few different searches. Anyway, it's easiest to explain with a screenshot:

As you can see, the Battle tab is sorted by lowest rank first and there are four ships that don't belong there. Frequently I'll have one ship appear out of sync like this, occasionally two or three, and rarely four as seen here. Viewing enemy player slots 6-10, the highest rank that appears is 530 and I'm certain that there are plenty more ships between rank 530 and 1049 that haven't been disabled that should appear on my tab before this lot. Here's the second page of enemy players for reference:

It's not a big problem because these ships can be bumped off, I just don't understand why they're appearing in the first place.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 pm

If a rank 1000 players cloak is low enough to be under your scan, then they can appear on your battle tab. You can find players of any rank above your own.

As to why they are listed at the top, it's because they are listed in order of which player has the lowest number at the start of their rank.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:15 pm

EoTS... likes to do this. They will take up a page and half of my bt...

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:19 pm

I don't have a screenshot to prove it but I'm fairly certain that this happened when I was a lower rank as well, with ships below 1000 but still significantly higher than the usual range appearing at the top like this. It's especially obvious now with the extra digit and when there's four ships as seen here so I've not mentioned it until today.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Fandango wrote:
I don't have a screenshot to prove it but I'm fairly certain that this happened when I was a lower rank as well, with ships below 1000 but still significantly higher than the usual range appearing at the top like this. It's especially obvious now with the extra digit and when there's four ships as seen here so I've not mentioned it until today.

Like Kirk said, there is no upper limit on your BT (contrary to popular belief). If the proper confluence of scan and cloak and RNG happens, this is what you end up with.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

You're not quite following, Kirk's post would fully answer the topic except the first time I noticed this happen was with a player in the 800 rank range which doesn't follow the "lowest number at the start of their rank" part. I was probably around rank 500 at the time.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:53 pm

Fandango wrote:
You're not quite following, Kirk's post would fully answer the topic except the first time I noticed this happen was with a player in the 800 rank range which doesn't follow the "lowest number at the start of their rank" part. I was probably around rank 500 at the time.

I can answer that with a sort of work around the facts of the first post...

The battle tab is automatically ordered by way of alphabetical order, i.e. it sorts by name not rank. Perhaps on the occasions you've seen a rank 800 player at the top or the battle tab rank were all over the place, was perhaps because your battle tab was on its default sorting setting.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Fandango wrote:

Depends on how you have it sorted.

[20:40] Wredz: just hacked a massive extremely rich minting planet from someone.. thats the best planet i ever hacked
[20:43] DarthFlagitious: is it spearmint or peppermint?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:19 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmm, this would have been after sorting (lowest rank first) but I must admit that my memory is foggy at the best of times and I could simply be confused about the whole thing.

Perhaps it would be best to move the focus of this topic on to the very minor issue of players above rank 1000 not being sorted correctly. Thanks for your replies, the topic can be left alone now unless someone has a screenshot of an incorrectly sorted Battle tab featuring a player below rank 1000. :)

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:31 pm

I know from this post from 2010 that it sorts by first digit, then by second but doesn't take into account if the first digit is a zero.

So sorting from lowest to highest gives:
Level

It is seeing the 1 in 148 as the lowest rather than 82 as being a smaller number than 148. By your picture, the same appears to be true when comparing a 3 and 4 digit rank.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:51 pm

I have seen this happen on my BT. The problem is that the sort function doesn't work correctly (ascending / descending).

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:15 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
ODragon wrote:
I know from this post from 2010 that it sorts by first digit, then by second but doesn't take into account if the first digit is a zero.

So sorting from lowest to highest gives:
Level

It is seeing the 1 in 148 as the lowest rather than 82 as being a smaller number than 148. By your picture, the same appears to be true when comparing a 3 and 4 digit rank.

Wow.... that's not even Dan math - that's.... just wrong... lol @ Dan. It's not a big deal that affects anything serious, but FAIL on the sorting.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 am

PLURVIOUS wrote:
Wow.... that's not even Dan math - that's.... just wrong... lol @ Dan. It's not a big deal that affects anything serious, but FAIL on the sorting.

I've seen that in some other database program I use. I THINK is it sorting as text rather than sorting as numbers or something like that. I can get it to sort right if I add leading zeros (IE, 09 instead of just 9 and so on).

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:39 am

It's the way DataTables (the JQuery plugin Dan uses for his tables) sorts the information. Nothing to do with Dan, it's the way the developers of said plugin made it.

I s'pose there's probably an option to change the way it works, but I honestly don't think it's needed.

Devastation - Rank 1209 - Proud Officer of Imperium of Namalak

Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:51 am

Devastation wrote:
It's the way DataTables (the JQuery plugin Dan uses for his tables) sorts the information. Nothing to do with Dan, it's the way the developers of said plugin made it.

The example on the DataTables page sorts correctly... https://datatables.net/

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:00 am

ODragon wrote:
Devastation wrote:

The example on the DataTables page sorts correctly... https://datatables.net/

Dan must be using an older version, then. He's not exactly known for his updates...

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:43 am

Devastation wrote:
Dan must be using an older version, then. He's not exactly known for his updates...

Fair enough.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 am

Actually, nope. It's the way Dan is using it. It's supposed to automatically detect the type of data in a column, but if there's any HTML/whitespace in a number column, it'll think it's text.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:34 pm

I think the upper limit is 2(your rank) - 1
At least from what i gathered. I've never gotten anyone on my battle tab that's twice my rank or more. But I have gotten people that were close.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:17 pm

XxMercasterxX wrote:
I think the upper limit is 2(your rank) - 1
At least from what i gathered. I've never gotten anyone on my battle tab that's twice my rank or more. But I have gotten people that were close.

No, I've occasionally seen ships well over twice my rank on my BT.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]