View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Banned for no reason? 

I also have ever emailed Dan once, and i got like under a 2 hr turn-around. Have known others to get the same and for a variety of reasons/issues. In my exp he has gone way above and beyond to make the player experience a good one. I think he has to , in some cases, go with what logic and common sense point to... meaning if the odds are high you are breaking ToS then play things that way.

Think of it like civil court. You decide who you believe 51% and that's how you vote. Not saying you are cheating in any way, but sometimes things just are done with the consideration of protecting the majority and arguing the point thru email honestly isn't very productive. It would just turn into an argument or disagreement...

Sorry.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:03 am

juiceman wrote:
I also have ever emailed Dan once, and i got like under a 2 hr turn-around. Have known others to get the same and for a variety of reasons/issues. In my exp he has gone way above and beyond to make the player experience a good one. I think he has to , in some cases, go with what logic and common sense point to... meaning if the odds are high you are breaking ToS then play things that way.

Think of it like civil court. You decide who you believe 51% and that's how you vote. Not saying you are cheating in any way, but sometimes things just are done with the consideration of protecting the majority and arguing the point thru email honestly isn't very productive. It would just turn into an argument or disagreement...

Sorry.

and i do see where you are coming from, but honestly if this is a court there is no evidence that says i've been cheating. therefore like in court i should be able to expect an answer and a reason why i'm suddenly locked out of my account, i should be given an opportunity to defend myself and explain if an explanation is needed. :)

Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:26 am

Not an argument here, really, a return email in brief would suffice. Even if there was no subsequent followup after. I know at work the courtesy is to give a cursory explanation even in the most obvious of situations, let alone if there is doubt.

But this is his game, so the arbitrary nature of it is there.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:35 am

I'm heading home for the holidays. My bro and sis play GL too O.O

Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:41 am

In court you are supposed to be able to prove someone guilty beyond all reasonable doubt, not be 51% sure.

Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Toruk_Makto wrote:
I'm heading home for the holidays. My bro and sis play GL too O.O

be careful..

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Malevolentia wrote:
In court you are supposed to be able to prove someone guilty beyond all reasonable doubt, not be 51% sure.

exactly, and there is reasonable doubt and no evidence to prove that i'm running multi accounts. for one if my boyfriends account was a feeder he'd have no money or anything and he wouldn't most likely be PvPing. He sends me artifacts when his cargo gets full. in the beginning i sent him artis and minerals like crazy to help him along in the game until his production was able to sustain him. Plenty of people did the same for me when i first started playing two years back. i don't see how that's a bad thing. his account isn't a feeder for mine. mine isn't taking advantage of his and its proveable beyond all doubt that the two accounts are indeed 2 separate accounts owned and played by two separate people who sometimes play together under the same roof with the same internet. :)

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Actually, I have been called to jury duty like 11 times and served 5. In civil court, which this most closely would resemble, it is 51% believability...NOT beyond reasonable doubt. In fact, even in criminal cases the rulings are typically not beyond reasonable doubt. I think people have that thought due to murder being the biggie that you hear about.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:43 am

juiceman wrote:
Actually, I have been called to jury duty like 11 times and served 5. In civil court, which this most closely would resemble, it is 51% believability...NOT beyond reasonable doubt. In fact, even in criminal cases the rulings are typically not beyond reasonable doubt. I think people have that thought due to murder being the biggie that you hear about.

When you go to court, you entrust your life to a group of twelve people too stupid to get out of jury duty.

Paraphrased and intended as a light-hearted joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_doubt

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 am

Could be the case sometimes. I choose to serve because I'd like to think if I ever was accused of something I would get better than the welfare uneducated pool of candidates to decide my life future and that of my family. I have multiple degrees and am fairly well versed in many areas. Some of the juries I've been on had doctors, engineers, managers of various industries and so forth.

You are likely correct that in general, your hopes of a very educated jury are low--which to me is sad on many intrinsic levels. So the very people most of society looks down on and /or ignores decide your fate----kudos to people for wanting that to happen (non-veiled sarcasm). Similar kudos to the dirtbags (imho) who avoid jury duty. Sorry to hijack here, but I feel civil service is important in life. Not slamming you or your opinion- which are both valid and likely accurate-- but the situation itself is deplorable.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:05 am

juiceman wrote:
Could be the case sometimes. I choose to serve because I'd like to think if I ever was accused of something I would get better than the welfare uneducated pool of candidates to decide my life future and that of my family. I have multiple degrees and am fairly well versed in many areas. Some of the juries I've been on had doctors, engineers, managers of various industries and so forth.

You are likely correct that in general, your hopes of a very educated jury are low--which to me is sad on many intrinsic levels. So the very people most of society looks down on and /or ignores decide your fate----kudos to people for wanting that to happen (non-veiled sarcasm). Similar kudos to the dirtbags (imho) who avoid jury duty. Sorry to hijack here, but I feel civil service is important in life. Not slamming you or your opinion- which are both valid and likely accurate-- but the situation itself is deplorable.

It's not my opinion, it's just a quote which came to mind given the topic. I feel that everybody should do their part in society and that things like tax avoidance and getting out of jury duty only serve to harm us. I also take part in those boring old surveys if I have the time, because I know that they need to get that data somewhere.

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:30 pm

The 1 and only thing I'm going to say on this matter is this:
People have a right to defend themselves and appeal a ban... but they are not being given that opportunity and that is wrong.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:58 pm

I don't know the answer:
However it's not the IP issue.
I have a static IP for our e-mail server.
Everyone on every single laptop/PC/iOS device all appear to the outside world as the static IP address.
If Dan did give guidance on how bans happen then cheaters to work around the known reasons that trigger a ban.
Also I regularly get response from Dan when using the in game response to send a message.
At 3:50pm today (game time) I reported an issue with my attack bonus not calculating correctly. Dan got right back to me for more info. I responded at 3:56pm. by 4:20 GL is off line for maintenance.

I'm pretty happy with Dan's response to game issues.
I do wish he would pop into the forums more often and speak up.
If he has the money then he should hire a coder.

Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:38 pm

ZeroEither wrote:
The 1 and only thing I'm going to say on this matter is this:
People have a right to defend themselves and appeal a ban... but they are not being given that opportunity and that is wrong.

Except that's wrong. It's easy to appeal a ban; e-mail Dan providing sufficient evidence that you were not breaking any of the rules.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2