View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 S.ave O.ur S.hips: The Dwindling Population in The Galaxy 

Out of curiosity, do we not get shown ads for GL because we already play? That sounds like something FB would do. Do you see ads for any games you already play?

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Toastar wrote:
Out of curiosity, do we not get shown ads for GL because we already play? That sounds like something FB would do. Do you see ads for any games you already play?
Huh. Never noticed. I can remember seeing numerous ads for GL on Facebook, but come to think of it, never when I have the game itself open.

Will keep an eye out this week.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Cycled and spinned and repeated. I don't see any ads or suggestions for games I have accessed in the last year.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Pongoloid wrote:
Cycled and spinned and repeated. I don't see any ads or suggestions for games I have accessed in the last year.

Very interesting... I'm going to ask some non-GL friends to see if they have seen any advertisements for the game on Facebook.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Malevolentia wrote:
Pongoloid wrote:

Very interesting... I'm going to ask some non-GL friends to see if they have seen any advertisements for the game on Facebook.

lol, gotta admit, I was waiting to see when someone twigged about this.

No, Facebook will not show you ads for games you already play:
a) Because they are not stupid, and
b) Because the advertisers will not pay for that

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:20 am

Roddenberry1 wrote:
Incantrix wrote:
Quote:
i don't see any urgent problem here.

Games do not typically ruin themselves, rather the community that plays them. What has changed in GL since the game was first introduced?

I did not have a problem with twinks in Warcraft, because you could simply skip the first rank of PVP. There is no avoiding them in GL, and again you are forcibly reminded on your Stats screen.

I think an interesting twist would be to keep the existing, all-time leaderboards, but also have another set of leaderboards that resets monthly so more ships would have a shot at placing on them from time-to-time.

I think it would be a great idea to have monthly and maybe even weekly leaderboards. It'll take someone quite a long time to rack up 6k disabled from scratch, but they could chip away at it a little at a time while trying to get on the weekly. just my two cents

Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:58 am

Monthly rankings that reset is a good idea as long as people get a long term, efficient reward before each refresh for new rankings each month. The reward is to keep people competitive and encourage people to be more active and experience galaxy legion to the fullest.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:47 pm

So a monthly leaderboards with the people at the top of said leaderboards getting some sort of reward? It has to be cool enough that people want to collect it, but not OP or anything. Maybe introduce a medal as well for being #1 at least once. A good arti structure, like 2:1 or even 3:1? Maybe something which acts like a Morphogenic Enhancer, giving a random effect.

Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Malevolentia wrote:
So a monthly leaderboards with the people at the top of said leaderboards getting some sort of reward? It has to be cool enough that people want to collect it, but not OP or anything. Maybe introduce a medal as well for being #1 at least once. A good arti structure, like 2:1 or even 3:1? Maybe something which acts like a Morphogenic Enhancer, giving a random effect.

Yeah that's a good idea. Maybe a new title for your ship too?

Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Yes to titlee for the reward and the medal.

In addition, what do you guys think about making the planet artifact reward upgradeable with a limit to the upgrades available?

Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:26 am

Ludis wrote:
Yes to titlee for the reward and the medal.

In addition, what do you guys think about making the planet artifact reward upgradeable with a limit to the upgrades available?

I think it would be awesome. If it was good enough you'd have plenty of ships going for the top spot each month

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:20 am

What makes people think that monthly winners would be any different to the current leaders?
They don't get to and stay at the top by accident...

The people at the top don't need encouragement, they PvP because it is there... as should everyone :)

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:29 am

Deigobene wrote:
What makes people think that monthly winners would be any different to the current leaders?

The people at the top don't need encouragement, they PvP because it is there... as should everyone :)

I would think having an incentive every month to be #1 would make more people try for it. I got bumped off the kill leaderboard recently, but I guarantee if I tried I would at least be in the running for the top spot.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:35 am

Plus it could get lower ranks more interested in PvP. Let's be honest, someone with less than 1k kills have no chance to crack the leaderboard for a long long time. But if there was one that reset every month they would stand a much better chance.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:46 am

Mwchism wrote:
Plus it could get lower ranks more interested in PvP. Let's be honest, someone with less than 1k kills have no chance to crack the leaderboard for a long long time. But if there was one that reset every month they would stand a much better chance.

I get your rationale, I just don't think it will ever change who is on top of a monthly chart.
A lower ranker isn't suddenly going to be able to compete with ICBLF on raids in a month, for example.

Having watched those numbers climb for some months, I just can't see anyone else challenging for those top spots, even on a monthly basis.

In terms of time taken to crack the leaderboards from 1k kills, for instance, ask Koolaid how long it took him, because that is almost exactly where he started from.
Pretty sure it was either under or around a year, which is not really a "long, long time" imo.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:20 am

Deigobene wrote:

there are quite a few folks on the leaderboards who have gotten enough badges for their medals and mods and then just coast, so those lists do not reflect CURRENT PvP activity. a monthly leaderboard WOULD reflect that.

look at poor CHROMO ... got to the top of the kills leaderboard but had such a weak ship that she had to reset to get out of perma.alert, even tho she did not add substantially to her kills for months. with a monthly leaderboard ... the top25 on there could be always targetable and you could aim for the trophy one month without the prospect of being on perma.alert for months on end. in fact, i would make the monthly raids and hacks leaders always targetable too ;)

Deigobene wrote:
In terms of time taken to crack the leaderboards from 1k kills, for instance, ask Koolaid how long it took him, because that is almost exactly where he started from. Pretty sure it was either under or around a year, which is not really a "long, long time" imo.

any longtime PvPer will have no trouble making a good show on the monthly leaderboards. but new players would be COMPETITIVE right away on monthly leaderboards ... which might help with retention and activity. constantly hitting goals on the monthly leaderboard will eventually lead to all.time leaderboard showings, but not many folks are juicy enough to delay gratification for a year.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:21 am
Profile WWW

senatorhung wrote:
Deigobene wrote:

there are quite a few folks on the leaderboards who have gotten enough badges for their medals and mods and then just coast, so those lists do not reflect CURRENT PvP activity. a monthly leaderboard WOULD reflect that.

look at poor CHROMO ... got to the top of the kills leaderboard but had such a weak ship that she had to reset to get out of perma.alert, even tho she did not add substantially to her kills for months. with a monthly leaderboard ... the top25 on there could be always targetable and you could aim for the trophy one month without the prospect of being on perma.alert for months on end. in fact, i would make the monthly raids and hacks leaders always targetable too ;)

Deigobene wrote:
In terms of time taken to crack the leaderboards from 1k kills, for instance, ask Koolaid how long it took him, because that is almost exactly where he started from. Pretty sure it was either under or around a year, which is not really a "long, long time" imo.

any longtime PvPer will have no trouble making a good show on the monthly leaderboards. but new players would be COMPETITIVE right away on monthly leaderboards ... which might help with retention and activity. constantly hitting goals on the monthly leaderboard will eventually lead to all.time leaderboard showings, but not many folks are juicy enough to delay gratification for a year.

I get your points too Senator, but I also suspect that monthly leaderboards might have exactly the opposite effect in terms of retention.
I forsee total noob ships rage quitting in droves as they are farmed morning, noon and night by high AP resets keen to "make their mark" on the latest monthly chart.

To be honest, I suspect a large proportion of the playing community has no idea who is on the leaderboards, or even where to find them.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:33 am

Deigobene wrote:
I forsee total noob ships rage quitting in droves as they are farmed morning, noon and night by high AP resets keen to "make their mark" on the latest monthly chart.

and yet, the initial stages of the game are inherently biased TOWARDS PvP ... you only start with 2 npc slots ... while you have 10 PvP slots right off the bat. looking at the early days, it was always about going up against other ships to test and improve. now that we have lots of mission content, the game has moved more towards the collect and wait for energy to recharge mode.

Deigobene wrote:
To be honest, I suspect a large proportion of the playing community has no idea who is on the leaderboards, or even where to find them.

having top players appear under 'legions' is less than ideal. and since there is no in.game benefit to being on the leaderboards, their lower visibility means only the hardcore pay attention to them. so you incentivize it, and you might get more hardcore players ;)

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:05 am
Profile WWW

Assuming a Monthly Chart might help incentivize PvP more (which I am not sure about but happy to consider), how about this:
Instead of raw kills, raids and hacks, the Monthly chart tracked only Red, Yellow and Blue badges?

That really would open it up to all ranks, not just those with an endless supply of nulls and TMs.
It could also help prevent some of the more dubious stat padding methods that have allegedly been used in the past by former leaderboarders, such as rumors of multiple ships run solely for specific people to kill.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:49 am

Deigobene wrote:
Assuming a Monthly Chart might help incentivize PvP more (which I am not sure about but happy to consider), how about this:
Instead of raw kills, raids and hacks, the Monthly chart tracked only Red, Yellow and Blue badges?

That really would open it up to all ranks, not just those with an endless supply of nulls and TMs.
It could also help prevent some of the more dubious stat padding methods that have allegedly been used in the past by former leaderboarders, such as rumors of multiple ships run solely for specific people to kill.

I think that's a good idea. Then someone couldn't farm the same people (at least in the same day) and rack up a ton of easy stats.

Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next