View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dear Dan.... 

I have a twist on this idea. What if there was a 'noob' universe. Until you reach level 100-200 ,etc you are there. Npc's and normal planet constructs exist same as what we currently have, but no one above 100 can give you anything. Also your planets are safe from high ranks till you hit our universe. Obviously the downside would be legions, but i'm sure there are ways around that downside.

OR....

Maybe a junior mint universe and the one we use now. If you are a powerpuff girlie ship, you can hide out in the minty universe. No pvp, no planet thefts...missions, npcs, bases? A real ghandi universe.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:19 am

juiceman wrote:
I have a twist on this idea. What if there was a 'noob' universe. Until you reach level 100-200 ,etc you are there. Npc's and normal planet constructs exist same as what we currently have, but no one above 100 can give you anything. Also your planets are safe from high ranks till you hit our universe. Obviously the downside would be legions, but i'm sure there are ways around that downside.

OR....

Maybe a junior mint universe and the one we use now. If you are a powerpuff girlie ship, you can hide out in the minty universe. No pvp, no planet thefts...missions, npcs, bases? A real ghandi universe.

That pacifist universe sounds like fun, but it would mean that you have to work harder for red badges.
Of course, there would have to be restrictions to stop you from jumping from one universe and attacking, then back to the pac universe...would have to be like a 2 day halc or something

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41172&p=418403#p418403 <---Ship log

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:29 am

TheBandit wrote:
juiceman wrote:

OR....

That pacifist universe sounds like fun, but it would mean that you have to work harder for red badges.
Of course, there would have to be restrictions to stop you from jumping from one universe and attacking, then back to the pac universe...would have to be like a 2 day halc or something

I don't like any idea that dilutes the player base, adds server costs or increases lag, decreases amount of available development time and all that kinda stuff, outlined well by Shadeslayer earlier.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:36 am

Shadeslayer wrote:
For anyone that thinks this is a good idea, check out the FB game Starfleet Commander. It now has somewhere in the neighborhood of 7, YES 7 different universes. (TBH I have lost track of how many there are now).

Effects this has on the game.
1. It spreads out all players over multiple versions of the same game, and not all players play all versions. In fact, most barely play 1, so your average users per version is going to be way down from what we have now. Not good.
2. (assuming you use it as a test bed for possible implementations to the real thing) It allows you to test/tweak/try out whatever changes you want to make to the game to see the effects before implementing them. Can be good.
3. People quit. It's a fact. I've seen it other games with multiple versions, and every time you do this, people quit playing at a faster rate than ever before. Very Bad.
4. Splits up the dev's time meaning changes are fewer and further between, and not as good. Bugs get fixed less. Changes take longer to implement. Very Bad.
5. New versions will cull players from the original, lowering player base here, and not have as many players as we do in the original version anyway. Further spreading out player base. Bad.
6. Players who have spent money on the original version will not play the newer versions because they don't want to spend the money again. Low player base for new versions, and a lot of work to keep it running. Bad.

True, some people will play both, or all 3, or however many we end up with. But take it from one who's been there. I played 2 versions of the same game for awhile. The second version was better, and eventually I stopped playing the first. I ended up finding another game that I liked better (for the record, it was GL.).

+1

Overall, -4.

Sorry, but this idea just doesn't hold water with me.

7 versions? Ummmm...no....just said one

People quit....Ummmm....lmfao

Everything else I read was just noise

- everything....GL is dead the way it is

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:39 am

Ko-Chan wrote:
Shadeslayer wrote:
For anyone that thinks this is a good idea, check out the FB game Starfleet Commander. It now has somewhere in the neighborhood of 7, YES 7 different universes. (TBH I have lost track of how many there are now).

1. It spreads out all players over multiple versions of the same game, and not all players play all versions. In fact, most barely play 1, so your average users per version is going to be way down from what we have now. Not good.
2. (assuming you use it as a test bed for possible implementations to the real thing) It allows you to test/tweak/try out whatever changes you want to make to the game to see the effects before implementing them. Can be good.
3. People quit. It's a fact. I've seen it other games with multiple versions, and every time you do this, people quit playing at a faster rate than ever before. Very Bad.
4. Splits up the dev's time meaning changes are fewer and further between, and not as good. Bugs get fixed less. Changes take longer to implement. Very Bad.
5. New versions will cull players from the original, lowering player base here, and not have as many players as we do in the original version anyway. Further spreading out player base. Bad.
6. Players who have spent money on the original version will not play the newer versions because they don't want to spend the money again. Low player base for new versions, and a lot of work to keep it running. Bad.

True, some people will play both, or all 3, or however many we end up with. But take it from one who's been there. I played 2 versions of the same game for awhile. The second version was better, and eventually I stopped playing the first. I ended up finding another game that I liked better (for the record, it was GL.).

+1

Overall, -4.

Galaxy Legion isn't quite dead yet. This idea would kill it completely.

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:36 am

Malevolentia wrote:
Ko-Chan wrote:
Shadeslayer wrote:

+1

Overall, -4.

Galaxy Legion isn't quite dead yet. This idea would kill it completely.

^^ I agree with Shade and Malevolentia on this one.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:19 am

For perspective.
Ko-Chan still has a better ship than most of the people in here.
Had he not sold off his planets he wouldn't have any issue still being one of the best ships in the galaxy for a long time.

That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Usually with ya tree, but not sure what relevance how good ko-chan's ship is/was/would be now makes to whether this is a good idea or not for the game as a whole.

If your supposition is to say his thought process comes with a level of credibility of experience versus just talking out of his butt, then ok. However it kind of comes off to me as a 'let's reset everyone' approach, which apparently at least the people who comment here aren't real hot on. Having played a while I also am kind of attached to my stuff, flaws and all. In a way the idea of a newer, better place is cool on the basis of knowing you are at the ground floor and not disadvantaged from any angle--but then life is short and if I had to go back to high school again and work back through my career versus keep things where they are---leaning towards keeping them as is.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:52 pm

He was one of the very best ships in the game and then he actively chose to quit and get rid of his planets.

Now he's still one of the better ships sure but wants to reset the server more or less?

To me it looks like he just wants to be on top again without having to put in the effort.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:13 pm

I think you are on to it. :)

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Tree7304 wrote:
He was one of the very best ships in the game and then he actively chose to quit and get rid of his planets.

Now he's still one of the better ships sure but wants to reset the server more or less?

To me it looks like he just wants to be on top again without having to put in the effort.

I dont think thats it twigglit.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 am

There's no reason why he can't play as is.
I think many players would consider 75k unbuffed attack a decent ship to play with.

Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2