View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dan is losing income 

Due to the recent bans I examined the ToS. And to my surprise I found that I can be banned for no reason without warning. I have had friends banned with NO explanation as to the reason. This is a horrible business practice and actually against federal law. Due to this fact a lot of players I know are more reluctant than ever to purchase GP. I understand if a ban was legitimate but how would anyone know if there was a mistake. This game makes money for providing entertainment. What the general public expects should be entertainment and not apprehension regarding their purchases. I dont want to discusss specific bans( against forum rules).

Can you please notify anyone who gets banned as to the cause?

If you are not Dan then please refrain from posting. This concerns us all but is a question for Dan to answer. Thx.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:49 pm

gilbert.fitch wrote:
Due to the recent bans I examined the ToS. And to my surprise I found that I can be banned for no reason without warning. I have had friends banned with NO explanation as to the reason. This is a horrible business practice True and actually against federal law Not true. Due to this fact a lot of players I know are more reluctant than ever to purchase GP. I understand if a ban was legitimate but how would anyone know if there was a mistake. This game makes money for providing entertainment. What the general public expects should be entertainment and not apprehension regarding their purchases. I dont want to discusss specific bans( against forum rules).

Can you please notify anyone who gets banned as to the cause?

If you are not Dan then please refrain from posting. This concerns us all but is a question for Dan to answer. Thx.

ICBLF wrote:
to be honest, I was rooting for you even while eating KVTs

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Actually NOT against Federal Law....try again (with better "facts" this time).

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:41 pm

gilbert.fitch wrote:

here is one advice for you,
If you dont want players to coment use the ingame, Raport or contact Galaxy Legion funktion

as for beeing actually federal law, no you are wrong
you accepted a contract (the ToS) when you joined the game that specifie the terms for playing this game
if you dont like that contract, dont play the game...

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:44 pm

DarkMar wrote:
gilbert.fitch wrote:

If you dont want players to coment use the ingame, Raport or contact Galaxy Legion funktion

you accepted a contract (the ToS) when you joined the game that specifie the terms for playing this game

If only the ToS weren't changed multiple times after people signed up. :D

If only people weren't banned for things that weren't/still aren't ToS violations. For example, people have been banned for using certain browsers/mobile browsers.

I'm fairly certain contract law states people need to be notified of changes to ToS right? I've never once been notified of any alteration to the ToS(if there have been any).

Either way, i'm fairly certain that the ToS have changed multiple times since we all agreed to them. If they're changed without notification being provided, we all have a legal right to challenge any bans that occur. Precedence has been set btw, wherein a company got their ass handed to them over the whole "no notification" thing, stating that even though their ToS stated they didn't need too, the court said they in fact were required by law to do so.

Ofc it's not like anyone gives enough of a #&$# about this game to ever provide a legal challenge, but i sure hope Dan enjoys all the chargebacks. :)

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:58 pm

But a polite email regarding the reason for the ban isn't too much to ask for. Sometimes it's easily figured out but for those with the genuine "i've done nothing wrong" it would be a good thing to do. save a lot of fighting/bad-mouthing of the game

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 pm

a LOT of internet lawyers itt......at the risk of becoming one myself....it's fairly obvious why the vast majority of bans occur. 2 or 3 simple things clearly spelt out in the ToS...... We know what they are.....

To Kirk's point about being notified about changes to the ToS....that's an interesting question since the ToS itself spells out some (though it doesn't specify ALL) of the ways you may be notified about changes to the ToS. One of the ways stipulated is "posting on the game". While I'm "in the game" there is a link for "Terms" right near the top.... It's there all the time.

In fact, in that document it even states, "Be sure to return to this page periodically to ensure familiarity with the most current version of this Agreement." Does that satisfy the need to notify? IDK, but I'm fairly sure an argument could be made that it does.

Anyway, just pondering, but to the OPs point.... I'd be willing to bet that probably 90% of bans occur for 2 or 3 simple things that are very clearly stated in the ToS and, to my knowledge, have always been there. Don't do them.

FWIW, I occasionally buy GP and I've never worried for a minute that I'd be banned and my money wasted. Follow some basic rules, quit looking for cheats or illicit edges, and just enjoy the game.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm

Roddenberry1 wrote:

Anyway, just pondering, but to the OPs point.... I'd be willing to bet that probably 90% of bans occur for 2 or 3 simple things that are very clearly stated in the ToS and, to my knowledge, have always been there. Don't do them.

Or be one of the people that Dan chooses to break the rules and still play ;)

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Alumni of the Crimson Lances and Lords of Infinity

Rank 971, Strict SSB,Possibly the jazziest ship in the universe

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:05 pm

I have never cheated in GL. However my point is if I got banned on February 34th( just an imaginary date) then I would not even know why. On top of that I won't be able to access the current ToS. Dan should inform people as to the reason and include a copy of the ToS. That is my right as a consumer.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 pm

umbongo wrote:
Or be one of the people that Dan chooses to break the rules and still play ;)

Well....There IS that....That baffles me as well.

gilbert.fitch wrote:
I have never cheated in GL. However my point is if I got banned on February 34th( just an imaginary date) then I would not even know why. On top of that I won't be able to access the current ToS. Dan should inform people as to the reason and include a copy of the ToS. That is my right as a consumer.

I'd have no problem with this if it were that simple. More than likely what would happen would be upon notification the offender would deny they cheated, demand proof, and, if that proof is supplied, use that knowledge to become a better cheater. A simple notification would be fine, imo, but Dan would have to absolutely avoid being forced to to supply info/proof that could then be used to aide the cheater/ future cheaters.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:19 pm

kirkeastment wrote:
DarkMar wrote:
gilbert.fitch wrote:

If only people weren't banned for things that weren't/still aren't ToS violations. For example, people have been banned for using certain browsers/mobile browsers.

I'm fairly certain contract law states people need to be notified of changes to ToS right? I've never once been notified of any alteration to the ToS(if there have been any).

Either way, i'm fairly certain that the ToS have changed multiple times since we all agreed to them. If they're changed without notification being provided, we all have a legal right to challenge any bans that occur. Precedence has been set btw, wherein a company got their ass handed to them over the whole "no notification" thing, stating that even though their ToS stated they didn't need too, the court said they in fact were required by law to do so.

Ofc it's not like anyone gives enough of a #&$# about this game to ever provide a legal challenge, but i sure hope Dan enjoys all the chargebacks. :)

You mean people got banned for using a Browser that allow you to exploit the game.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:42 pm

http://galaxylegion.com/terms.html

The TOS is accessible outside of fb.

ICBLF wrote:

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Chakotay wrote:

You mean people got banned for using a Browser that allow you to exploit the game.

lol no, i mean what i said.

I know players that got banned for using the Opera browser a few years ago, just for using it to play the game, no exploits. However, because it had stability issues, which in a roundabout way would aid gameplay, i.e. the planets page wouldn't autorefresh with every frakkin scan, people were banned.

Much akin to the way you can be banned just for using certain mobile browsers due to them not actively refreshing every bleedin part of the game, unlike the rest of the browsers

Also;

Code:
Any changes we make will be effective immediately upon notice, which we may provide by means including, without limitation, posting on the Game, forums, or electronic mail.

I've never once seen any change to the ToS mentioned on the forums or in-game or via email, but i know there have been changes made. So there goes any legal standing.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:57 pm

If i were a guessing man, I'd say you get no reason for ban in similar sense to real life in many states who give no termination notice. It only opens the business for lawsuits, targeted complaints, etc. You could certainly argue that not doing so could as well...but the less rope you provide -- the harder to hang someone :)

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:19 am

kirkeastment wrote:

Also;

Code:
Any changes we make will be effective immediately upon notice, which we may provide by means including, without limitation, posting on the Game, forums, or electronic mail.

I've never once seen any change to the ToS mentioned on the forums or in-game or via email, but i know there have been changes made. So there goes any legal standing.

He might be able to make a case that changes to that page were "posting on the game".

ICBLF wrote:

Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:21 am

KJReed wrote:
kirkeastment wrote:

Also;

Code:

He might be able to make a case that changes to that page were "posting on the game".

Yep, I believe he certainly could argue that successfully, especially as the ToS specifically reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the Agreement and clearly sets out how that may (not must) be accomplished.
ToS wrote:
Your continued use of the Game following such changes will be deemed acceptance of such changes.
Be sure to return to this page periodically to ensure familiarity with the most current version of this Agreement.

The wording specifically mentions "including..." and the Terms button would certainly be considered in-game.
In addition, we have agreed that it is our responsibility to check it if we wish to be certain of the current agreement.

So, quite simply, we have all agreed that continued acceptance of the terms are implied by continued use of the game and that it is our responsibility to check them regularly.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:27 am

just do not break rules in any form and your account should be safe this also includes do not share with gf / family member/ wife to play the game with each other.

do that and your account will be safe

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:37 am

Location: Shredding NPCs and fantasizing about natural Dysons in this beefy UFO that I built in my basement
Some bans are legitimate, some are not. I think Dan does ban players because his friends don't like that particular player - and by "friends", I mean certain players. He also lets these same friends play with impunity. That being said, he's losing money because GL is losing steam. I stopped buying GP months ago not because I was upset about band, but for 3 reasons:

1. LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG.
2. Because all the endless clicking without innovative or interesting game content just got boring.
3. I noticed that the player base was in a consistent decline, so I figured there's not going to be a long future for GL.

Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:21 am

kirkeastment wrote:

I could be wrong or have it mixed up with another game
but as I remember it, last time Dan changed the ToS you had to accept it again before you could log into GL

but not 100% sure when the last change in the ToS was as Dan havent put a date on it

Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:23 pm

pokerman123 wrote:
just do not break rules in any form and your account should be safe this also includes do not share with gf / family member/ wife to play the game with each other.

do that and your account will be safe

Yes everyone, learn from Pokerman... do not cheat, that means no multiple accounts, and you won't get banned.

I did some naughty things, and now they have put me in the Royal Asylum, based in Chesterton

Alumni of the Crimson Lances and Lords of Infinity

Rank 971, Strict SSB,Possibly the jazziest ship in the universe

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next