View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Legion inside attack 

Been brought to my attention that by joining a legion, keeping a copy of the legion tab open then leaving in another tab you can target as valid pvp targets the members from the original copy of the legion tab. Is this considered to be legal play or is it a tactic that while not that honourable is allowed?

Stark Tech Inside

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:00 am

if the game lets you do something...who is to say evil?

Whether it's cool or not...if you have to ask that about anything..it prolly aint.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:02 am

hey with this new pvp bi weekly and how the bt is hmmm almost tempted to lose loyalty just to collect up on the kills lol.

but for the real thought of it i believe this should be a fixed thing that should not be able to be done.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:06 am

logicaly it kind of makes sense that your able to do so, you enter the legion you're privy to the details of your legion mates from the legion command center and the legion has to accept the player to open up their legion members to targeting that way.

It would be good for dan to weigh in so the record can show if this is okay or not in stone where as if someone trys this currently and its not cool then they could end up getting banned without realising or being able to be shown by leaders that its not legal play.

Stark Tech Inside

Last edited by Peticks on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:21 am

Can't say if it's technically legal or not, but would seem to be far from honorable. Perhaps you'd want to erase that bit from your banner.....You know....The bit about "Failing with honor rather than succeeding by fraud". Seems you didn't really mean that, huh?

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:32 am

Are people aware that you can also kill ships that apply to your legion?
(If you are an officer or leader)

That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:41 am

Since roddenberry seems to have gotten the wrong end of the stick here let me explain this.
I was brought to the attention of this when I was talking about my soon going on a trade trip, hopping legions and giving free toxic uplifts to help rank up solinya.

The intention of the thread is to lay in stone if this tactic is acceptable or not acceptable.

If the tactic is acceptable then players can use the tactic without fearing that it is illegal and legions can be alerted to the tactic as part of gameplay.

If the tactic is illigal then players will know that the tactic is illigal instead of, in absense of any statement on it, potentialy beliving it to be legal and ending up banned unnecessarily and that legions who this may occour to can be assured that, yes it is illigal and they should send dan a report.

with the tactic in a grey area it potentialy risks bans on those who did not intend to breach gl rules and also may lul legions who could end up falling victim to this belive it to be illigal when it actualy is not.

Stark Tech Inside

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:12 am

Peticks wrote:
Since roddenberry seems to have gotten the wrong end of the stick here let me explain this.
I was brought to the attention of this when I was talking about my soon going on a trade trip, hopping legions and giving free toxic uplifts to help rank up solinya.

The intention of the thread is to lay in stone if this tactic is acceptable or not acceptable.

If the tactic is acceptable then players can use the tactic without fearing that it is illegal and legions can be alerted to the tactic as part of gameplay.

If the tactic is illigal then players will know that the tactic is illigal instead of, in absense of any statement on it, potentialy beliving it to be legal and ending up banned unnecessarily and that legions who this may occour to can be assured that, yes it is illigal and they should send dan a report.

with the tactic in a grey area it potentialy risks bans on those who did not intend to breach gl rules and also may lul legions who could end up falling victim to this belive it to be illigal when it actualy is not.

Sorry mate, I call BS on the "recently brought to your attention" bit, you asked the same question ages ago in relation to raiding.
Answer is the same I believe: by keeping open an extra tab of the legion info, you are knowingly circumventing the correct game behavior which is not to have access to those names once you have left a legion.
You know this and using it would be an exploit. I don't think there is any grey area, I think it is a clear breach of the ToS.

Addition: Last time peticks asked this question ;) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41415&start=0&hilit=ice+fishing+open+legions

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:35 am

Thank you, Deigo, for posting. I just responded to a PM from Peticks with, essentially, the same rebuttal although I was too lazy to find his actual thread (I vaguely remembered it bouncing around in my occasionally addled brain....lol). So, it appears after all that I haven't "got the wrong end of the stick". As concerned with honor as Peticks apparently is given his banner, I see no way he can endorse such an exploit. I mistakenly addressed my response to the ethical question of whether such a maneuver would be honorable or not since I assumed Peticks was concerned with that and not just the letter of the law. It seems both are against him in this......

Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:56 am

Mildly surprised there is no response from Peticks on the last couple of posts. Never trust a space weasel who talks of honor. :lol:

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Deigobene wrote:
Peticks wrote:

Sorry mate, I call BS on the "recently brought to your attention" bit, you asked the same question ages ago in relation to raiding.
Answer is the same I believe: by keeping open an extra tab of the legion info, you are knowingly circumventing the correct game behavior which is not to have access to those names once you have left a legion.
You know this and using it would be an exploit. I don't think there is any grey area, I think it is a clear breach of the ToS.

Addition: Last time peticks asked this question ;) viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41415&start=0&hilit=ice+fishing+open+legions

I guess thats what comes of not checking thoroughly, I did have a thought that I might have posted about it before but checked my posts and found nothing on it, guess I used the wrog filters.

Since you guys, twh, want to to subvert the actual reason of this thread I'll put this out there, I have never used the tactic. I found that it was possible but Im almost certain I wasnt and still am not willing to risk using it. I do however know of a player who has utilised the tactic and who brought it to my attention when discussing my upcoming trip and so that brought this matter up again, I wont risk it while it remains grey but others beliving it to be legal might. bans on players for offenses there was nothing they could have been pointed to to show it was wrong will not help the game.

Fact is a vast number of players are guilty of using multiple tabs to keep access to a ship when they should lose it. thats the entire premiss that icefishing or waiting out halcs you triggered were built off. get 50+ names on the battletab then come back later and raid the dissabled ships who wouldnt be showing up on the battle tab were it refreshed, pretty certain both of you guys who dont seem interested in anything other than slagging me off and derailing the thread have used that tactic at least once before. However with most peoples consensus, despite the arguements on that thread being 100% applicable to icefishing stating that that is ok, hence the requirement for dan to make a statement as to its legality.

Pointing to the old thread, the rules were never clarified. Fact is this is simply you assuming in the standard egotistical twh way that the way you think is the rule. dan never made an announcement as to if it was ok or not hence the issue that it remains a grey area, a area I wish to clarify so I can say loud and clear to my members that yes this is a acceptable way to get targets or no do not risk this you will be banned.

And while targeting members of the legion ist the same as on the battle tab the fact that theres still a link from previous npc alerts in your log for two days regardless of where they go kinda takes the wind out of the sails there as far as I can see.

If you take the time to read through the original thread you'll find the general consensus is that people are unsure, that it is a grey area. Only a severe napoleon complex sufferer would look at that and say that yes this is against the rules of the game or no this is not against the rules of the game.

Stark Tech Inside

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Peticks wrote:
Deigobene wrote:
Peticks wrote:

I guess thats what comes of not checking thoroughly, I did have a thought that I might have posted about it before but checked my posts and found nothing on it, guess I used the wrog filters.

Since you guys, twh, want to to subvert the actual reason of this thread I'll put this out there, I have never used the tactic. I found that it was possible but Im almost certain I wasnt and still am not willing to risk using it. I do however know of a player who has utilised the tactic and who brought it to my attention when discussing my upcoming trip and so that brought this matter up again, I wont risk it while it remains grey but others beliving it to be legal might. bans on players for offenses there was nothing they could have been pointed to to show it was wrong will not help the game.

Fact is a vast number of players are guilty of using multiple tabs to keep access to a ship when they should lose it. thats the entire premiss that icefishing or waiting out halcs you triggered were built off. get 50+ names on the battletab then come back later and raid the dissabled ships who wouldnt be showing up on the battle tab were it refreshed, pretty certain both of you guys who dont seem interested in anything other than slagging me off and derailing the thread have used that tactic at least once before. However with most peoples consensus, despite the arguements on that thread being 100% applicable to icefishing stating that that is ok, hence the requirement for dan to make a statement as to its legality.

Pointing to the old thread, the rules were never clarified. Fact is this is simply you assuming in the standard egotistical twh way that the way you think is the rule. dan never made an announcement as to if it was ok or not hence the issue that it remains a grey area, a area I wish to clarify so I can say loud and clear to my members that yes this is a acceptable way to get targets or no do not risk this you will be banned.

And while targeting members of the legion ist the same as on the battle tab the fact that theres still a link from previous npc alerts in your log for two days regardless of where they go kinda takes the wind out of the sails there as far as I can see.

If you take the time to read through the original thread you'll find the general consensus is that people are unsure, that it is a grey area. Only a severe napoleon complex sufferer would look at that and say that yes this is against the rules of the game or no this is not against the rules of the game.

You really are a tool Peticks. You ask for opinions and I gave one, with reasoning, yet again...
Not only is it dishonorable, but it is almost surely against the ToS as written.

Try to justify it however you like but you can easily put your money where your big mouth is:
Try it if you think you are right and I am wrong.

No? Not prepared to risk it?
Why do you think that is?

Idiot.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Yeah, agreeing more and more with Diego on this.... Even IF we accept that you somehow got some bad weasel-nip and forgot you asked this question, your question has been asked and answered now. Twice. The answers from the members are unlikely to change. I am sorry we did not give the answer you were looking for. If you really are waiting on an answer from Dan; good luck with that (but, you never know, I guess).

As far as the other.... Still waiting for you to remove the "Fail with Honor, yada, yada," bit from your banner 'cause, clearly, there would be no honor in such a move. (Weasels would make bad Klingons---- they have no Honor) :P

Last edited by Roddenberry1 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:43 pm

IS this like the time peticks said those who halc are doing it wrong? (just sayin)

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:45 pm

you know what, I give up. you guys clearly arent interested in the issue at hand as you are at being asshats, Belive the thread has been derailed and I'll no longer look at it. if one of your legionmates ends up banned for it then its on you lot for choosing to derail a thread rather than press for a official response to remove the grey, and yes it is grey, area

Stark Tech Inside

Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:57 pm

ANYTHING that involves multi.tabbing is frowned upon by Dan. he just hasn't figured out how to code it out yet. the whole point of banuary was to shut down the use of multi.devices (multi.tabbing by another means).

i NEVER have to multi.tab to ice.fish for raids. 10 targets on my current bt are more than enough.

the ONLY time i consider multi.tabbing is to check base info before locking. and that is only if there are no legion members online to provide that info.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:21 am
Profile WWW

Peticks wrote:
you know what, I give up. you guys clearly arent interested in the issue at hand as you are at being asshats, Belive the thread has been derailed and I'll no longer look at it. if one of your legionmates ends up banned for it then its on you lot for choosing to derail a thread rather than press for a official response to remove the grey, and yes it is grey, area

I will sleep very easily if someone gets banned for it, because every time you have brought up the exploit I have consistently stated that I think it is both morally wrong and technically against the ToS.
I don't think I could have been any more obvious in my warnings of what I think the implications of this obviously dubious practice could be.

So if someone chooses to do it and gets banned, I will be the one nodding my head and shrugging my shoulders, pointing at the person that raised the issue twice and didn't like the responses he got.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:22 am

I will sleep quite well as well. Thank you for your concern. Firstly, your question has been amply answered. It seems the only one to whom it is a "grey area" is you. Also, I'm not worried about anyone in my legion being banned for this, or really any players at all. As far as I can tell there is exactly 1 player who is considering such a move and he is getting annoyed because he isn't getting the answers he wants or support he perhaps thought he might have gotten. ( Rumor has it he is even considering altering his banner to remove the implication that he believes in such ideas as honor, but we shall see.... )

Lastly I would have 1 question of my own. Is getting kills really that difficult for you that you have to potentially resort to such underhanded means? I used to think I was a pretty mediocre PvPer, but with all the whining, looking for illicit ways to get kills, and people wanting to nerf everything in sight to make killing easier; I'm starting to change my opinion of myself :D . I must be one bad mofo because I have no such issues, desires to find exploits, or needs to nerf everything in sight to do my killing. I'm a Baaadddd Man (apparently) since I'm fine with PvP the way it is and don't have to resort to the likes of this dreck to get my kills. :P

Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:44 am

I had a legion mate way back, who used this. When we were both low ranks, we used to compete over pvp kills. he would always leave the legion and come back an hours mins later with 60+ extra kill and maybe gain a rank or two. I never really questioned it ( did think it wasnt smart leaving since he missed out on bases), but when he got double the kills i had, i did ask how he pvped so well, and he told me he did the above ( he also said he knows many high rankers who do it, since they would come in before him and kill everyone and leave for stats buff ) . Then at rank 80-90, he did it, for the 100th time and someone reported him (for farming their members) and he was banned. Not 100% sure if he was banned for that, since with GL you never know, but im pretty sure he was. It would seems like it's against the TOS, since your exploiting the game. But then again dans had more than a year to fix it and hasnt done anything and many people have gotten away with it , so who knows.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:08 am

Yeah, I tend to think Dan hasn't done anything simply because he hasn't figured a way to stop multi-tabbing in general. Perhaps it will eventually be fixed so it is no longer possible. Perhaps it will never be fixed so issues like the shady stuff Peticks is promoting will just lead to banishments when/if reported. I know for certain I will be watching my legion, not for people doing this but for new applicants who pop-in briefly, leave then somehow start hitting every one in the legion. It will be reported immediately, I can assure you of that much at least.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next