View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The One Hundred Millionth "WE NEED A USE ALL" Thread! 

While I've always been sympathetic to the plight of people who play on mobile devices or who have slow connections, I've never been on the "WE NEED A USE ALL BUTTON!" bandwagon, as (with respect) the complaints always seem to come from people who are already quitting/semi-retired or who just aren't that active anyway. Well, of course you have more rank points than you know what to do with, Mr. Complainypants -- you haven't logged in except to collect for four days!

Basically, not the type of folks to elicit much sympathy from me.

But in the last month, I've spoken with not one, not two, but three fun, highly active rank 1k+, GP-spending players who are either in the process of quitting or have one foot out the door... all of whom cite the daily grind of upgrading their ship as the primary reason for their loss of interest. Not halcs, not damage cap/PVP balance issues, not overpowered resets, not "jerks," not fear of 2200 oblivion -- just all dem upgrades. Essentially, if you're a busy person with high AP but limited daily time to devote to GL, you'll probably reach a point where all those upgrades start feeling like a job, rather than a game, and it will seriously drag down your overall enjoyment of GL. I could diagram the progression of "upgrade dread," and how it cuts into people's enjoyment/playtime (especially those with slower connections), but I think most people are well enough versed in this by now.

And yes, I know all the counter arguments. I've made some of them myself:
  • They were probably already losing interest anyway
  • Well, their fault for getting so much AP
  • Wait, they can't be bothered to click on androids, brackets, cells, and rank points for 6 minutes a day, but they'll spend 60 consecutive minutes at a time hitting NPCs? Give me a break! Laaaazy!
  • Stop whining, idiot!
  • etc...

Anyway, I know this issue has been covered to death, and it's not something I hold out hope of ever being remedied, but man, it really bums me out seeing people cite an issue as simple as this -- one that would make the game a lot more enjoyable for tons of people, one that really should not be that hard to implement -- as a reason for dreading, and eventually quitting GL. I'm not going to tell people to stop whining anymore from behind the luxury of my fast connection and unusual willingness to mindlessly click on the "Recruit Tactical Officers" button. I believe it is truly a serious issue.

Maybe this thread belongs in "Suggestions," but considering people have and are actually, ya know, leaving over it, maybe it's more of an "Issue?" I dunno. Posting it here. Spock is logical. He'll decide on where it belongs.

Last edited by Pongoloid on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Seems an almost TO EASY of a fix to me. Hell, you can send 1M EM to someone, scrap 10k cloning pods, but have to click individually to add helmsman and prisoners? Come on Dan. Not even you like clicking on 200 Mass Storage Pods.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:01 pm

isay oooo yeah to this...though it wont get done

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57 pm

lmfao 200 mass storage pods that all you got lol i scrapped 10k alien data discs just last week cause i was to lazy to sit here and click for 3 maybe 5 hours to just collect research and 2k mass storage pods for same issue debaiting to do the same with some other stuff just scrap instead of sitting here collecting them up.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:19 am

A few things i'll mention that kind of need to be said.

This isn't a mobile based game, so i don't take those persons views into account. It's not an app based game so why are you treating it as such.

The whole purpose of a game like this(which requires regular activity and lots of clicking) is to keep you playing as long as possible in the hopes of making you spend cash on GP for refills.

------------------------

All clicking was done via the Ship page(Not Trade), using the "Use an Artifact" button alongside entering; roid, rack, resc and cell in the filter box to lower refresh delay.

Now, as to whether or not a person who plays via PC/Laptop requires a use all button, well I just used the following artifacts in 1 minute and 28 seconds;

A-Helms(23)
A-Scientist(30)
R-Prisoners(24)
X-Cells(28)
Brackets(33)

So for those who find math hard, that's 138 artifacts used in 88 seconds. That's no time at all.... and that's from an overnight pull of 2.473 million artifact points.

It also took just 1 minute 23 seconds to use 72 Rank Points. That's 83 seconds. It takes longer than using artifacts because everything refreshes on that page with every click.

So in total, it took 2 minutes 51 seconds to click 210 times & use all my arti's from an overnight shipment & i don't even have a decent connection compared to that of some other players' i know.

So again, i'll ask, do we really need a use all button......

The truthful answer is not really.... Perhaps when a person comes back from a vacation(wherein they found the time to collect) they might need a use all button, but for the majority of players who want this purely for day to day use, my response would be to tell them quit being lazy and take a few minutes each day to use your artifacts.....

because we all know you'll piss away 10-15 minutes chatting to your friends in-game comm's or via fb chat anyway, so what's your excuse for not doing both at the same time?

Don't let your artifacts build up. Use them as and when you pull your hourly shipment rather than wait and do all 24 hours worth in one sitting, as it's less noticeable if you do it often.

----------------

It's a solution needed a few times a year at most which people want as a cure for laziness the rest of the year.

Most players that want this, don't have anywhere near an APH that even warrants this being considered.... There is probably less than 5% of the playerbase that has 100k+ APH, to whom this could even be considered useful for & even then, it's an idea that really only helps the 1% whom have 150k-200k+ APH.

Finally, the OP makes mention of enjoyability as one of the reasons to implement the "use-all" button, however i can turn it around on it's head, by asking;

What is the enjoyability factor in this game?

Well If you don't enjoy the monotony of making your ship stronger(the sole reason to even play this game) by repetitive clicking, then how can a person enjoy any other facet of this game? The entire freaking game is based on repetitive clicking... and you're telling me you can't find the time to click somewhere else for 5 minutes a day?

Using your artifacts is the quickest way possible to make your ship stronger. Yet people will NPC for hours or PvP for hours whilst their artifacts collect dust in the cargo, because they don't have the time supposedly.

To summarize; aka tl;dr ;)

This is a game that people play in their free time & so it only stands to reason that those whom can put more time into the game should become stronger. It's a basic principle of any game;

Time Played = Reward.

That's just a fact of this game or any other. The only difference is that in Galaxy Legion compared to other games, you actually have a fixed source of income every hour that you don't need to work to obtain after you already have it.

It's just there every hour waiting to be collected and all you need to do is take 5 mins and you can make your ship stronger. That is the most efficient way of making your ship stronger. It's far more efficient than NPC'ing.

Use your artifacts as you get them & 99% of the time, the time it takes to use the artifacts doesn't become an issue.

This is a monotonous click based game. Every aspect of the game is based on how many clicks you can do before you run out of energy. If you don't like clicking for prolonged periods of time.... well then we're really onto a loser here.

That's my 2-Cents. :D

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:23 am

Of course I'd like to see it but I can live with it as it is. I have for 5+ years.

I will say that something needs to be done about adding Rank points as that page does get bogged down when adding more than like 5x at a time.

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:00 pm

"Use rescued prisoners" buttons next to "use rank point" button
Problem solved

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:43 pm

I think you are ignoring the op's premise. I think everyone understands game mechanics and how much actual clicking takes place. The concept is to make it less tedious. I collect about 7 times a day and I find that tedious. Not hard, not long time or lot of clicks to use things, but annoying. IF you have to police, and thats a great term for it, your resources that often---it makes you wonder if you are better served playing other stuff.

Now back when GL had buo-quo players, thats fine to schluff off people and go tough tiddy, but now a days mayhap its worth a second glance to see where the pain points are and make the game more conductive to those souls who might be swayed to stay. Right or wrong, people react and think how they will. Small things make big differences. Just in game you can see this all the time. I won't point out examples unless you REALLY want me to and feel like reading a few paragraphs more of discussion, post hoc.

Having lms, npcs, seasonals, etc...along with chat and events keeps people in game and encourages play. Making someone click on those things when obviously the user wants to use all is, well...dumb. I think Dan is very sharp, but this part of the game would be a positive reinforcer. Normally I'd side with more clicks to greatness since this is a text game based on clicking...but that doesn't mean everything should be click o rama. Save the clicks for bases, npcs, etc.. Interval reinforcement works by rewarding the subject by not knowing how many times they have to do something to get a good reward.

example--5 scans, 10 scans, 1000 scans, any time a dyson could pop up
same with npcs...

But on usable items like rp, let us use them all at once..or 'x' of them at once. We can already send 'x', why not use 'x'.

The game IS about time devoted to equal success (to a point, luck plays a big factor too as well as how much help you get)...but closing a blind eye to things the masses want is not conducive to the overall state of the game.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 pm

juiceman wrote:
but on usable items like rp, let us use them all at once..or 'x' of them at once. We can already send 'x', why not use 'x'.

The game IS about time devoted to equal success (to a point, luck plays a big factor too as well as how much help you get)...but closing a blind eye to things the masses want is not conducive to the overall state of the game.

twas before my time, but didn't the TM limit get introduced because someone mass produced TMs via some ulterior method ? if someone managed to do that with rescued prisoners, (and was semi-smart about abusing it) a "use all" might make that exploit nearly uncoverable.

for me, every single one of those clicks improves my ship. if that isn't sufficient reason to make the click, then why are folks still playing this text-based game ?

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:38 pm
Profile WWW

lots of game mechanics have changed..tm limit..legions..legion missions..bases...dam cap...allies...take your pick...
some things have even been done after saying they never would...like the regen rate on energy

Where i'm going is not on how the game works, on what 'should' or 'shouldnt' (subjectively) create stronger ships, but what will keep more people playing.

IT seems like there is a faction of pejoritive sentiment about things HAVING to be a certain way, and if you are not in that circumspect concentric circle you are persona non gratia. I don't get that. It's pseudo semantic; allegoritive onomatopoeticism aside in this analogy against agreeable amendments to aesthetic and anachronistic approaches.

The psychology of the player is the lifeblood of any game, virtual or non. Once you lose the incentive and pulse of the people, its over. Rome didn't fall from without until it fell from within. I'm not sure i get the idea of alt abuse for a use all. I mean if you can abuse arti creation now, isn't it a small unimportant step to click use all versus using each. IF you already have the ability to cheat, this would only be superfluous icing, not a make or break change.

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:31 am

I am baffled that there are actually posters arguing against a 'use all' button, other than maybe in a "it's too late at this point" sense. Are people really that enamored of the status quo for the status quo's sake, or is it just forum boredom leading to trolli- uh, playing devil's advocate?

Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:02 am

comaface wrote:
I am baffled that there are actually posters arguing against a 'use all' button, other than maybe in a "it's too late at this point" sense. Are people really that enamored of the status quo for the status quo's sake, or is it just forum boredom leading to trolli- uh, playing devil's advocate?

No, i'm against it because people act like the majority need this, when they truthfully do not. Perhaps it's difficult for people to comprehend this, but just because it gets posted on the forums and supported by a minority of the overall players of this game, that does not mean the majority support the idea for the genuine intent of the idea, they support it because they're lazy halfwits looking for any reason to put in less effort.

Secondly, despite popular lies you've been told, there are nowhere near enough players in game that have the APH necessary to warrant a use-all button. There are certainly enough "lazy" players who have spent the last year or longer just collecting, because they are for the most part, semi-retired or just lazy and so yeah they might need a "use all" button.

It's 5 minutes a day to use your artifacts, so if those people would maybe just learn to multi-task they could get it done whilst they talk with their legionmates each morning or whenever they talk with their legionmates.

So in my opinion, I really don't see why we should implement an idea that mostly helps lazy people/semi-retired players than helps those whom genuinely play this game nowadays.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 am

Maybe, subject to preference but all i am saying is i have a Space Ship with the the OS of a 1981 Chrysler New Yorker.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 am

Redneck_King_of_Funk wrote:
Maybe, subject to preference but all i am saying is i have a Space Ship with the the OS of a 1981 Chrysler New Yorker.

uh ... you know that cars with a 'higher' level OS can now be hacked remotely right ?

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

I can understand and see the arguments on both sides, but my issue is that due to RL (job, family and sleep) I don't get a lot of play time and when I do I don't want to spend it clicking artis to add to my ship. I don't consider that playing, I consider that a chore. I consider thumping a base, NPC'ing, scanning, PVP'ing, etc playing.

I have enough chores in my life and I don't want to do any in my GL time.

So, I am not going to quit but I will "play" rather than "improve my ship" when my time is precious. Adding a use all button will allow me to play the game more.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:18 pm

kirkeastment wrote:
comaface wrote:

No, i'm against it because people act like the majority need this, when they truthfully do not. Perhaps it's difficult for people to comprehend this, but just because it gets posted on the forums and supported by a minority of the overall players of this game, that does not mean the majority support the idea for the genuine intent of the idea, they support it because they're lazy halfwits looking for any reason to put in less effort.

Secondly, despite popular lies you've been told, there are nowhere near enough players in game that have the APH necessary to warrant a use-all button. There are certainly enough "lazy" players who have spent the last year or longer just collecting, because they are for the most part, semi-retired or just lazy and so yeah they might need a "use all" button.

It's 5 minutes a day to use your artifacts, so if those people would maybe just learn to multi-task they could get it done whilst they talk with their legionmates each morning or whenever they talk with their legionmates.

So in my opinion, I really don't see why we should implement an idea that mostly helps lazy people/semi-retired players than helps those whom genuinely play this game nowadays.
Kirk, I know I have rolled my eyes at people crying for a use all button in the past, and even employed some of the same arguments as you.

I also agree that this isn't an issue of "need" for most people. But I can't think of anybody who says "Ewww! I'd hate a "Use All" button!" and I know from people I've played with that it can impact their enjoyment of the game, especially when they have to carefully budget time.

Me? I'm not affected at all. I could make a million AP/Hour, and it wouldn't be an issue, cause I have a very fast connection and work at my computer. Client puts me on hold? Pull up GL and add Tactical Officers. Mandatory video presentation with no meaningful visuals? Pull up GL and add androids and brackets. Boom -- easy!

But just because it's not an issue for me doesn't mean others are not affected by lack of time or a bad/weird connection, and I think it is short-sighted to wave away their concerns/displeasure as mere "laziness" or whatever, especially if they are in a different boat. I mean, if it were all about the monotonous clicking, wouldn't Dan forbid us from pulling in hundreds of thousands of AP at one time?

Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Agree with pongo.. This is a cadillac item, more for convenience than need. That said, life and games are all about pimping things to max your enjoyment time.

If people can/do spend hours npcing..excellent...i'd rather have more alerts and action. Do little things to keep players happy. I don't attribute it to laziness. I attribute it to feeling like its a dumb process for process sake. While that argument could probably be generalized to a larger scope of most in game things, this is one which everyone would enjoy, whether they are asking for it or not.

If you had a club with 20 people and 2 said they would leave if you didn't have a green flag, wouldn't that give you incentive to make the flag green or give it more consideration? What if they would just be unhappy...things add up. Like choosing where you eat. Place A has slow service and higher prices but the food rocks and the atmosphere is killer. Still doesn't mean you shouldn't try to speed up service and cut prices if reasonable to do so.

Anything which is a nice get for players, doesn't take much time, and might be one more reason to keep people playing longer (both timeline and in a session) seems like a slam dunk--barring excessive coding time or such considerations.

Also what you consider easy and little issue, may bug other people to a much greater extent. People DO play from mobile devices, so that SHOULD be a consideration. If you want to deploy and expand your game you make it as readily available as possible. People have different connect rates, mine blows. Your 200 clicks in 2 minutes may be 5-10 minutes for me or someone else depending on speed. THAT blows. No ONE wants to spend that long on such a mundane task. At least npcs drop rewards. Bases you are vying for position, better silvers, better odds of raid success and so on.

While we're here, a great get of the past was segmenting the abilities tab, as well as the markets for relics, uldri credits, and raix. SUPER good idea. The abilities tab could use another vamp. I have 12 allies. Believe me i'd love to see their stuff on its own tab.

The game has so much to do, really, if you are involved. LEt's make areas and options as user friendly and malleable as possible.

ps- i have 183k ap /hour...if that makes me in the top 1% ..then as a representative of that sector i'd love to see changes like this

Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:53 am

juiceman wrote:
Agree with pongo.. This is a cadillac item, more for convenience than need. That said, life and games are all about pimping things to max your enjoyment time.

If people can/do spend hours npcing..excellent...i'd rather have more alerts and action. Do little things to keep players happy. I don't attribute it to laziness. I attribute it to feeling like its a dumb process for process sake. While that argument could probably be generalized to a larger scope of most in game things, this is one which everyone would enjoy, whether they are asking for it or not.

If you had a club with 20 people and 2 said they would leave if you didn't have a green flag, wouldn't that give you incentive to make the flag green or give it more consideration? What if they would just be unhappy...things add up. Like choosing where you eat. Place A has slow service and higher prices but the food rocks and the atmosphere is killer. Still doesn't mean you shouldn't try to speed up service and cut prices if reasonable to do so.

Anything which is a nice get for players, doesn't take much time, and might be one more reason to keep people playing longer (both timeline and in a session) seems like a slam dunk--barring excessive coding time or such considerations.

Also what you consider easy and little issue, may bug other people to a much greater extent. People DO play from mobile devices, so that SHOULD be a consideration. If you want to deploy and expand your game you make it as readily available as possible. People have different connect rates, mine blows. Your 200 clicks in 2 minutes may be 5-10 minutes for me or someone else depending on speed. THAT blows. No ONE wants to spend that long on such a mundane task. At least npcs drop rewards. Bases you are vying for position, better silvers, better odds of raid success and so on.

While we're here, a great get of the past was segmenting the abilities tab, as well as the markets for relics, uldri credits, and raix. SUPER good idea. The abilities tab could use another vamp. I have 12 allies. Believe me i'd love to see their stuff on its own tab.

The game has so much to do, really, if you are involved. LEt's make areas and options as user friendly and malleable as possible.

ps- i have 183k ap /hour...if that makes me in the top 1% ..then as a representative of that sector i'd love to see changes like this

+infinity

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:14 am

And also a very useful thing for those of us on slow internet connections that we cannot do anything to change... It might be fine for some to be able to get 2 or 3 clicks to go through each second, but some of us in the rest of the world frequently have to wait 1-2 seconds after each click for the action to be processed...
So any talk about how many action can be done in a second is only relevant to those who:
a) have fast internet (would be nice to have the option of fibre optics globally, or be really close to the ADSL exchange);
b) live close to the server (living half a world away from it means that the travel time for the data itself is a noticeable delay, especially when dealing with old copper cable networks rather than fibre optic...)

Less time spent on housekeeping = more time spent on gaming... more time spent on gaming is more likely to result in more GP being spent AND fewer people getting bored...

Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:08 pm

WarmasterGoya wrote:
And also a very useful thing for those of us on slow internet connections that we cannot do anything to change... It might be fine for some to be able to get 2 or 3 clicks to go through each second, but some of us in the rest of the world frequently have to wait 1-2 seconds after each click for the action to be processed...
So any talk about how many action can be done in a second is only relevant to those who:
a) have fast internet (would be nice to have the option of fibre optics globally, or be really close to the ADSL exchange);
b) live close to the server (living half a world away from it means that the travel time for the data itself is a noticeable delay, especially when dealing with old copper cable networks rather than fibre optic...)

Less time spent on housekeeping = more time spent on gaming... more time spent on gaming is more likely to result in more GP being spent AND fewer people getting bored...

Someone who knows my pain!! I feel yours brother

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next