View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New Quantum Bio-Vaporizer Cap? 

Have heard several people say over the last 4-5 days that their biovaps stopped working after several uses or perhaps around 3k pop.

Wondering if other people have experienced this and are able to confirm? (I have not used one in a few weeks, so no opportunity to experience this personally)

Assuming this is a thing, and a "feature not a bug," I think it is a positive change that makes population/defense less irrelevant (at least for players who are active)... though I would suggest a change in the item description ("Instantly reduces planetary population by half on planets with more than 3,000 population" or something), and/or a stop-use feature added ("This artifact cannot be used on this planet") so people don't waste them.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:09 pm

Probably this.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33734&start=0

There actually is a cap though.
They no longer drop the population below 10 pop so as to avoid rift traps.

That's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:48 pm

Yeah, am aware of that one (you're actually the one who told me about it, iirc). But in these cases, pop was at or around 3k

I successfully used one @ about 1.5k pop last night to more quickly fluxjack an active player's planet however, so there is obviously no hard higher cap. I now suspect these instances may have just been a quirk from too many players hitting/depopping a planet at once, similar to how Cloning Pods sometimes misfire when your world is being hit by several players simultaneously (or repair nanos when if it is your ship). If it hadn't been for the coincidental population levels, I would have just assumed overload from the start.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:28 pm

i suspect the cause of these things is async code execution all data in the game is stored in a database, if someone does something the value needed is fetched from the database and if it gets modified it's writen to it again, there is a small window (fraction of a second but existant) where if action a reads and needs to write but action b reads the action between the read and writes of action a, action b is based on the outdated value negating the effect of action a

sadly it's things like that can't realy be avoid on big games like this as the larger the database the larger the delays become for read and write actions, increasing the window in wich it can heapen

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]