View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 attack/defend don't matter? 

I never seen an issue until recently. Most of my targets have massive energy components, and since they have smaller ships I can only conclude less attack/defense.

So why when I attack am I losing? They have no active effects, I have no active effects, and my a/d is much higher than theirs.

Example:

You Steven DuBose (Winner)
Attack: 140 / Defense: 60 Attack: 23+ / Defense: 15+

How is that possible? Do these scores no longer matter?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:47 pm

they likely have crews which well do not show up in that total.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Perhaps you have also too much shields/hull

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm

most likly crew

Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:39 am

No this is not a crew thing. It's a flaw in the game: The battle is set over a HP ratio

I just had an example:

Ennemy
ATK 644
Def 283

Me
ATK 731
Def 611

When I attack him I get the following result:

Me (looser) take -60 Dmg ... Him (winner) takes -14 Dmg
So I'm basically earning looser xp (=5 XP)

Why do I have such bad results?
Because I have alot more Hull/Shield than him ... The outcome of a battle is taken on a % of total HP loss ... So of course, I will always loose more HPs than him since I have perhaps 10 times more than him.

What's not normal is that I'm tagged as looser and not winner ... Because it's calculated this time on my HP loss VS his HP loss. And this, is the problem that has to be solved somehow.

I therefore suggest that the Damage no longer gets calculated on a % of total HP. The current system just makes the hull and shield worthless.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Zhorgul wrote:
No this is not a crew thing. It's a flaw in the game: The battle is set over a HP ratio

Yeah, that's why I said you* may have too much shields/hull. So another player realize this too :) I tried installing tons shields/hulls and attack someone with known att/def using probes. Result, devastating although my strength is much higher

* with reference to algarwick (post number 1)

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Then why not make it [(Attack - Defense)/2] (rounded up)

This would mean that with what you have posted the damage would look like this:

Enemy [(644 - 611)/2] = 17 damage

You [(731 - 283)/2] = 224 damage

That is how I can see it working but that would be just some simple math.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:28 pm

I think that % of total HP was introduced so that a high lvl ennemy can still be killed by someone much lower lvl.

Yesterday I disabled an ennemy with alot of HPs, probably more than 2000 HPs. If damage were not based on a total HP % but direct hit, it would have taken me alot of energy to disable him.

So basically, I can annoy someone 50 lvl higher than me. But then, someone 50 lvl below me can annoy me as well :D

in the end it's funny :p

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:58 am

This would explain allot.

It's also why I gave up fighting.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:05 am

but then it's not fair. If I (in an example) have twice the attack, twice the defense, twice the hull and twice the shield than an opponent I am attacking, then why should I take more damage and be labeled a loser?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Just wow!! I'm glad that I just found out about this. I was close to complete Microgel research but now I realize that it's just a wasted research.. Hull/shield now seems are unattractive. I think it's just a plain dumb combat design..

More hull, longer it should last in battle against same weapon.. Looks like it is not the case now.. Current mechanics is that more hull, bigger damage it'll take from same weapon.. Illogical..

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:14 am

Lol! I sold all 5 hull plates and now I can WIN every round and my returned damage is now ALOT less now in set of 2 to 4 hp per attack. I used to get 30ish etc against same player.. Since I sold all hull, it helps me to equip 4th scanner module permanent..

Gee, Hull and shield are totally useless.. No reason to equip them now.. No hull means cheaper to repair now.. That is UTTERLY most flawed combat design I ever seen in my life!

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:35 am

Hmm, I just remembered something.. Just need enough hull to withstand 400 damage missile trap then you are good to go if you are attacking..

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:36 am

So under this system, is there any redeeming feature in having extra hull whatsoever?

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:15 am

SpoonyJank wrote:
So under this system, is there any redeeming feature in having extra hull whatsoever?

From what I can tell the rate at which you take more dmg from hull is not the same rate as that of as you would gain HP from Hull, AKA (this is a hypothetical example) for every one deck put into Hull youll take 1.5X more dmg but for every tier of hull researched you get +2 more HP per Decks used.

So as you get better hulls you get more HP gained then what you would lose from having that much HP. So no (atleast from what I can tell)

Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:58 am

Lol. When I dropped all hull (It's so much better now), I added 2nd shield module and also scanner. I noticed that I still fight well with same minimal damage to me with or without shield so shield seems isn't worthless.. Hull is.. I think it's something to do with my high defense (I have 644) that shield still is useful. I dunno.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:27 pm

Zhorgul wrote:
I think that % of total HP was introduced so that a high lvl ennemy can still be killed by someone much lower lvl....
So basically, I can annoy someone 50 lvl higher than me. But then, someone 50 lvl below me can annoy me as well :D

Like I said in another thread, higher ranks are supposed to completley pwn lower ranks, at least in most MMO's. In Star Trek Online before they added the instance for higher ranks, if you were a Rear Admiral(Rank 40-45, top rank) and went into the Starbase 24 fleet action(for ranks 1-10) you could kill almost anything there in 1-2 shots.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9503 The 1.8 Adventure Update thread

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:43 am

Heh. I informed this hull vs weapon mechanic to my Disciples of the Orion legion. Lot of them quickly dropped hull modules entirely and they said that their battle performance got improved and more cost effective and they could win battles much more often now.. Lot of us stopped researching in hull tree completely.. Hull tech is basically dead at this time..

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Robert wrote:
Zhorgul wrote:
I think that % of total HP was introduced so that a high lvl ennemy can still be killed by someone much lower lvl....

Like I said in another thread, higher ranks are supposed to completley pwn lower ranks, at least in most MMO's. In Star Trek Online before they added the instance for higher ranks, if you were a Rear Admiral(Rank 40-45, top rank) and went into the Starbase 24 fleet action(for ranks 1-10) you could kill almost anything there in 1-2 shots.

Yes but we are not playing Start trek here :) ... We play Galaxy legion, which is a nice hardcore social game with lots of strategies possible and where everyone has some weaknesses (or alot of them :D).

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 am

OK, if it's a straight percentage then I can have 90 hull or 900 and it takes the same number of hits to kill me either way. Even if it doesn't apply to shields, the artifact that gives you more hull permanently would make your shields not work as well. It's the most expensive research tree...

Totally broken.

Am I really understanding this correctly?

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next