View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Planet resource availability balance changes 

In an audit of planets, its been clear that:

* Research planets are too rich
* Mining planets are too sparse

Soon some adjustments will be made to balance this a bit better. This means that for existing gas planets, the overall productivity will go down. However, mining planets will be boosted accordingly.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:23 am

So does that mean planets i've terraformed are going to drop to? Like I terraformed a gas planet to be extremely rich because its extremely massive. Is it going to drop now?

Edit: Also I always thought it was logical for research planets to give more because in the long run it costs a lot more in the later tiers. Mining like you said is random. With 100 mining points I have 100 chances to get the good mineral (I forgot its like kurenite or something). Another problem is the scaling in regards to character level. I have a lvl 31 human miner that gets about 150 mining points per hour. (Because I have 2 toxic planets) It fills up pretty quick as the point limit is like 1400. If it is to be scaled down then why wouldn't the amount of mining points be increased. Also atm since most of the minerals can be bought I don't see how it is super important (excepting darrinite which isn't buyable now). Im not saying those miners out there are unimportant but I think research has to be that large in order to continue with the new stuff. Its like I've said in other posts, sure you can unlock them sorta quickly (tho it takes days on the higher tiers) but you have to have the funding and the minerals to actually implement them. Not to mention the massive amount of space the larger modules take up.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Yes, terraformed gas planets will drop overall, but your +1 bonus will still be taken into account.

When this change goes in, the maximum mineral points will also be increased, so your planets will be able to carry more minerals.

I think the supply of minerals makes it too easy for players to ignore it right now (they can just buy more), and that will change. Expect the available supply on the market to be very tight - you cannot always rely on it.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm

webguydan wrote:
...the supply of minerals makes it too easy for players to ignore it right now (they can just buy more), and that will change...

Couldn't agree more. From the beginning, I have produced a total of 4 units of minerals. I'd hate myself for that, but can't we implement a 'real' market? E.g. one can buy only if someone is selling and they set the price.

Cheers!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:35 pm

ivobooks wrote:
webguydan wrote:
...the supply of minerals makes it too easy for players to ignore it right now (they can just buy more), and that will change...

Couldn't agree more. From the beginning, I have produced a total of 4 units of minerals. I'd hate myself for that, but can't we implement a 'real' market? E.g. one can buy only if someone is selling and they set the price.

Cheers!

Under normal circumstances I would completely agree with you. However the problem is that rather then paying another person for minerals, I simply have 2 accounts. One level 31 miner and then my main. I just send good minerals back and forth. If it goes to selling I will sell myself them for a dollar each. I guess I don't see a need for it because I have a character devoted to mining. Now you may consider this cheating, but I dont because it is impossible right now to do everything on an account and be good at it. You can be the best research but be broke off your ass and not be able to afford to implement it. You can be the best miner but that will simply give you a little bit of extra money and with the decrease in research it will take you a LONG time to get what you want. Artifacts are great because planets exist that are mid-range to high. My main is built as a research and artifact factory. I also have a good amount of energy so I can get credits to spend for it. The other problem I see with miners is that you need a LARGE cargo to get your minerals (or it was the case before it increased the number of random chances to get good minerals.)

Now if I want to implement my research and have a large space + energy I can accomplish that by focusing on energy/space. It is hard for me to balance out keeping a lot of minerals and keeping my space/energy/research up so I devote an entire another account to it. Just seems with the way things are set up now the smartest thing to do. I believe it is also the best way to maximize my potential.

Edit: I guess I never liked mining because even with a thousand points I never get really good minerals the last two "d"s and kurenite for example. It seems like mining is worthless even if I put planets on mining because since I have a small cargo I have to also hold artifacts. I have like 60 artifacts so that takes up 60 spaces. Ive had the lvl 31 for like a week or two now and best ive gotten is a pawlecite or two and usually I wait until its around 1400 to claim.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Noah wrote:
...it is impossible right now to do everything on an account and be good at it...

If it was, everybody would be good at everything. A good game is always about balance. What else is to say? :D

Cheers!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Agreed. Each character is not meant to excel at everything, or have exactly the right materials for what you want to do at the moment. You have to have a good balance. If that balance is tipped in favor of one thing solely, then it needs to be adjusted.

With that said, I think many parts of mining need a bit of redesign. :)

The minerals market actually "does" fluxuate based on market conditions. When more people sell, the price goes down. When a lot of players buy, the price goes up. The issue is that way more people are selling than buying, which is expected given the way the current system is setup, and speaks to a general lack of demand for minerals.

The darrinyte shortage was more of an experiment this week. You would feel the need to mine a LOT more if you could never buy anything off the market, and were prevented from sharing them. I haven't left that option off the table, as it could resolve a lot of issues right now. :)

On the multi-account issue, While the game terms have not been officially finished and posted, they will not be allowed. (nor does facebook allow this through its own TOS). I hope that players find enough friends to play with where they can trade without feeling like they need multiple accounts.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]