View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Apprentice Program 

Okay new crazy idea from our Boy Sergeant Guy, here is the refined version!

We have been talking about how the introduction of legion missions have forced the death of many smaller legions.
Sorry Dan but the tutorial is not the best, the best way to learn this game is to hang out with players who know how to play it.
When I started about 2.5 years ago, there were many small legions, medium legions, with 4-5 higher ranked players, and many lower ranked ones. The higher ranks trained the lower ranks to the best of their ability, the inflow of new players was solid and steady, the retention rate was good. Now higher ranked players want to be in legions that can somewhat successfully complete Legion missions, after all relic badges does give some of the best free rewards in this game. Not many are selfless martyrs who would sacrifice that to train new players. Also we do not want to give the limited member spots to someone who can't do much in the legion (can't see the same bosses, hit bases to any significant level, participate in LMs). BUT... what if we could have legions just as they are, 50-60 possible members, but have the option of adopting 10 "apprentice players" per legion.

Apprentice is basically someone who just started the game at rank 1... they get to be an apprentice for a maximum of one month, if they are not interested they can quit and leave the apprentice program.
For one month the apprentice could choose to stay with and learn from the legion, and at the end they will automatically be kicked and have to play the game as a member (in a legion of their choosing).
They could also end the apprenticeship early and go to a legion and become a member.
Apprentice can't gain or lose anything while in training.
They also do not contribute to planet defense, base defense etc. and they do not get base shipments.
Just extra players who can chat and learn with a legion.
And legions will have the option to do this or not.

What do legions get in return?
If someone finds a gem in the program, they could be recruited.
In the long term you get more fellow players, targets, friends.
Maybe some medal could be introduced for legions doing this program.

I know this changes the game mechanics a lot, but thought I'd post this anyways.
Cheers. :lol:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:04 am

I personally love this idea. I think anything that helps the new players learn and enjoy the game like many of us have been for the last 4 years is a great thing.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 am

Like this idea, but it needs to be refined again.

2 main concern :
1. alts.
What ppl will gain by becoming an apprentice of a said legion, beside the knowledge and guidance? And what legion gain? I don't think your explanation is enough to convince Dan (or me).
And you said that an apprentice can't gain or lose anything. This means they will still be lv1 while in apprentice? No AP shipment? No planet alerting? Will they benefit from being an apprentice like a legion member - the % bonus on the the apprentice planet?
Will the benefit be too much so it encourages alts to appear? Or will the benefit be too much compared to others who don't start apprentice but legionless - except no chat, knowledge sharing, etc. - ?
Please be aware that any passive benefit would encourage alts to appear on the legion.

2. How legion features interact with apprentice? How apprentice interacts with other apprentice? What achievements gained by completing the apprenticeship that got carried away to the fully fledged 'member' status ?
Main concern is planet sharing, ship alerting.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:49 am
Profile WWW

We have legions dedicated for this that we can interact with easily, apprentice programs aren't really necessary

Senatus et Populusque Imminente

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:18 pm

I really like this concept, Bonny. More than ever, low ranks need help from experienced players. At the same time, entire legions devoted to "training" are rarely (ever?) any good, and oddly enough, oftentimes offer up horrible advice/practices to new ships.

But higher ranks have always wanted people who can help on bases and shared NPCs, and since the advent of Legion Missions, it's become even rougher, since a rank 1 -- no matter how cool a person -- is literally going to be holding the legion's success rate back.

A few things I'd suggest to your idea:
1) Add a "Training Facility" base module for legions that want to participate. That way bases who want to implement such a program have to give up something.
2) Extend the option up to become an apprentice to rank 50. Honestly, a lot of people (myself included) have no clue what they are doing early on, and that cluelessness extends well past rank 1 (lol)...
3) Allow them to get legion shipments. Low rank ships more than anybody depend on legion shipments. Just give them a lower % factor for loyalty bonus or clone their production so it doesn't give an advantage to the legion that is hosting them.

In our legion, some of our funnest players are relatively new to GL... their enthusiasm keeps the comm busy and makes the place a lot more lively. Unfortunately, you can only let a few in at a time, due to aforementioned issues with Bosses, Bases, and LMs.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Pongoloid wrote:

A few things I'd suggest to your idea:
1) Add a "Training Facility" base module for legions that want to participate. That way bases who want to implement such a program have to give up something. The module could have special missions for "apprentice players" linked to existing medals. The reward for the legion could work same way as Daily rewards, but it would also cost 1000 of random choosen arti (those from AP) and would be available only when all 10 "apprentice players" are loyal.
2) Extend the option up to become an apprentice to rank 50 maybe even to 100, if there would be an autokick at r50.. Honestly, a lot of people (myself included) have no clue what they are doing early on, and that cluelessness extends well past rank 1 (lol)...
3) Allow them to get legion shipments. Low rank ships more than anybody depend on legion shipments. Just give them a lower % factor for loyalty bonus or clone their production so it doesn't give an advantage to the legion that is hosting them.

In our legion, some of our funnest players are relatively new to GL... their enthusiasm keeps the comm busy and makes the place a lot more lively. Unfortunately, you can only let a few in at a time, due to aforementioned issues with Bosses, Bases, and LMs.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Yep, I love this idea Bonny, suggested similar myself not long ago.

I think it is probably the single best way to help new players and so expand the player base.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:40 am

+100 we need to do to keep new recruits interested in the game this is certainly a viable option!

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:49 am

I really like this idea +Infinity from me

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]