View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Lets try to make all races desireable 

Ok I see in our galaxy alot of races pop up more than others, and many people have said that some races are just better then others, I feel that all races should be given a fair shake, So I am suggestion these modification to try and make all races look more appealing.I guess my question to you all is what would make you consider playing each race within their given "roll" Here are some examples that migh make considered playing them. :)

Aerlen
defense has the problem of it doesn't really help you at all. So I suggest an ability that gives all planets you control 50 passive defense (no cap) useable every 40 hours.

Human
Second worse race, Inverse their bonus, so they take a 10% exp penelty (minium of 1) from all actions. All exp +% are treated as exp -%,

Inergon
the energy kings, give them 2 energy recharge per tic and an extra 5 energy recharge. (in addition to their 10% energy)

Konqul
No change one of the good races, right where it should be :)
Sillixx
The worst race in the game, to make this good we REALLY need to dig deep here, So my suggestion is to make then have their damage cap based soley on rank. decks do not factor in to their damage cap. Huge great ships without the pvp penelty.

Vygoid
Ah the reserch race, well lets make their stuff a tad different, instead of 20% boost to all planets, all research costs are reduced by 20%, have a double chance of getting a discrovery from the ct lab and all ct lab items only cost half the materals/energy.

Drannik
The issue with these guys is simpley at high rank you are already capping npcs. So lets make them great npcers, Npc's have double the damage cap against them.....

Genetarr
This used to be a good race, It did!! but then all the npcs started being created with "immune to mind influence" Nix that immunity and this race is very useful and great again!

Kronyn
Ah reserch so great for the first 300 ranks, so terrible afterwards. These guys do not suffer as hard as our miners, they still have this problem with npc's dropping their ability. So lets double up their ability (+2 reserch each use) and give them double the CR value from selling reserch.

Lazuli
They are the king of hull, however that kinda rings hollow, So lets give them an ability to permantly add add to their ship every day (say 100 hull) in addition to the %. Best rock/SSB in the galaxy!

Litheor
No change great race!

Mylarai
This race is kinda clouded by the fact that toxics are very plentiful and basicly limitless (and faster then the ability in most cases) So I suggest just double their EM pull instead and if they pick the minner profession they gain double its effects. Makes them the best minners in the game.

Taltherian
No change again a "popular" race that is really good.

Uldrinan
No change they are one of the "good" races, offer unlimited % artifact building sounds good to me :)

Xecti
Xecti are difficult since attack/defense isn't really a thing for most planets, So instead of their 40% bonus how about, Xecti ship attack/ddefense is added to every planet they control. (not cloak just attack/defense)

Zolazin

Instead of you get 40% cloak, ALL your planets get an extra 20% cloak.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:04 pm

Some of these changes would be nice at higher ranks...but most of the initial races especially are good at low ranks, which is when they should be chosen. Nerfing human experience would hurt the players less than rank 100, and there are times when it's handy to have the extra experience.

Sillixx IS handy for small players that don't have a lot of decks yet and haven't found a legion to give them a good gravy train.

If you want to be drannik, be them before you start hitting the cap.

Genetarr is great, the NPCs that are immune are all higher rank. Be Genetarr early.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't mind seeing some of those bonus changes, just that you have to bear in mind when you should be choosing that race or doing the chain for that race...

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:08 pm

I can agree with your view of Genetarr maybe its a more lower rank race, However Sillixx is not handy in any way shape or form, any player who spends say 10 mins on this board would see that Silixx and human are races that are treated like the plauge and often suggested to either change or reset. If its only good for 100 ranks its not a good race, Most people can find a legion (perticuarly now with the trainee program) that gives them some of the sweet basepayout. so the argument of the gravy train is sort of moot....

Also perticuarly in the humans case... the xp is not worth it you want as many troop carriers as possable less xp will get you more carriers. squeeze out as much npcing time as possable :) Its also misleading to new players as MOST games ranking up is a universaly accepted good thing where as in GL its a bad thing,

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:24 pm

why ?

The races are pretty balanced to me, no one race is too great at all ranks, All have pro's and con's, at no one rank range does one race become the ''best'' or so great everyone uses it. ( if im being honest All races are crap and offer minor effects on gameplay (timers, added with the fact that if someone wants to disable you, they will and can ; also added with the fact most good players can easily auto rank NPC ect ect, so buffs from all races dont affect gameplay greatly) which is good since it makes them somewhat balanced, not to say human is useless.

Also races complement certain ranks, It seems like your a high rank and the effect from most races are worthless due to your rank ( and my above point), But for low and mid ranks theyre great. Why do the races have to change so high ranker can have more uses for them ? high ranker already have more races than lower ranks, and have more option, use those and figure out which is best for you.

I'm a Drannik and have been since rank 320-625. And drannik is great at my rank, i hit cap on everything ( or min hits to kill ) and have done since rank 320. If i wasn't a drannik i would't, i know this a fact as unbuffed, i would be buffed non-drannik and i can't hit cap/reach min hits. Drannik is gettign weaker as i rank up, as i have a high TO count and have access to more attack buffs, but its still such a great race for me, that i don't plan to change anytime soon. Drannik has saved me a ton of nrg and made NPCing more efficient. Kronyn and Mylarai were godo at low ranks, back in the day ( 1 year+ back for me), easy RP planets, which used to cost 2k ctp back then and before tocixs were everywhere and when ppl wanted to upgrade other planet type mineral, Mylarai , was okay.

Like i said, races are for different ranks, some of the races like Uldrinan and other later mission chains, made for high ranker/mid ranker are more catered to high ranks or add something they might want. I dont think a change to race would be good, would make the game unbalanced and way too easy, not to mention your upgrade for drannik will make me rank faster, making much worse than current human ( i would rank up 40-60% faster, so will need 4k nrg to rank up and will kill 100 npc, makind drannik the worst race by far )... so you plan to make drannik worse for everyone apart from high rank ( hell even high ranks) for the sake of them ? . I say leave them as is, i could say more .. but ill keep it short. bad idea for me -1.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 pm

? Konqul is pretty much great at any rank. at no point in the game is more invade/npc attack and pvp attack a BAD thing. Talth is also pretty soild at any given point (low to mid to early high but you might want to shift to Lithovor at very high) I know people from lowly rank 50 to rank 1000+ who have enjoyed Konqul race. Their are races that do suck, anyone playing human for example is at a distinct disadvantage vs any other race Race because rank is so meaningless ( and in many cases detrimental as it ends your time slots for good npcs earlier and puts you in higher rank pvp brackets faster) if you are looking to pay for say 2+ years Human or Silicon are straight up terrible. You can say they are not but at the end of the day volume of players being said races speaks pretty loud.

Most races are rarely ever used I would like to see a more of these great races that dan has put money/time in to making being used by us, however if the choices are (relatively) clear that playing some races is nothing but a distinct disadvantage why would you? Particularly when many Legions are telling their trainees that these races suck and should not be played. make all their abilitys interesting and useful (and that degree of useful is a subjective things I realize) and they might be used. it would make the game more diverse.

Also to your boosters, well that may have been true a long time ago, but today, Toxics are dirt cheap and plentiful, hell most people don't even bother to reinvade them as its cheaper to just make a new one. Research planets are besides at VERY VERY low rank pointless, I haven't taken any research planets since rank 150. they are VERY cheap as well, not even close to 2K for maxed plasmas (if you know of a market where I can get 2K CTP for plasmas please tell me I have a legion who would be happy to do business with you! )

The only researches one really needs are +12 buildings, Best Relays, CT lab. everything else is not really helpful.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:20 pm

I think you misread my post i was saying about a year and a half or 2 ago, plasma were 2k Each, Nowadays theyre worthless, ive got 5 easy ones on scan and pretty much give them away. ( real shame i paid for one back when i started ). I haven't taken a single RP planet since rank 120ish and only have about 7 17x planets . ( I have to say, I'm a heavy npcer for my rank and I've gained a little over 3 times the terraformers than planet data opt ( easy to track from my RP and AP project planets ), no idea how ppl could sell these before, since theyre pretty rare for me. but thats a side point, i've been wondering.

Toxic's were worthless when i started playing the game, but a year before my time, they were 500/750 ctp and before that more. I have never bought a toxic and havent taken a mineral planet since rank 80, i have never built a toxic and have over 200 toxic purifiers, so i know the race is useless.

but when these races came out, and ppl were lower in rank, and didnt play the game well, or figure out the best way to play it, these races were great in making RP and mineral planets. Back when planet data opt were not really common at lower rank, I've yet to meet anyone who has NPCed more than me at my rank and i have only been able to build almost 3 17x planets. Back then plasma werent in every scan run as well ( maxed Toxic as well ), so they were rarer, less common and the race more useful in making RP planets.
Not to mention nowadays you can even out Res on a planet with them. I agree the races are pretty bad nowadays but when they came out, they were okay/great. Not to mention some of the race mission chains have some great drops, which is almost worth the crappy race.

overall i get what your saying, but i dont see the point, of making every race great . The races IMO don't affect gameplay a lot, And making them better would start to affect gameplay, which would be back IMO. Also i believe certain races are for certain ranks and at each rank range there a range of good races to pick and if all fail you've got Kontol , which is a decent arounder.

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:18 pm

I can agree maybe when they first came out some of the races were indeed good, However today I strongly disagree with it, and my augments would make all the races good TODAY and onwards. Their are metals that require you disable certain races, unless someone "takes a hit for the team" no one is going to get the medals because alot of the races straight up suck This isn't due to lack of attempts to find them merely that they are so terrible no one wishes to be one. If we are trying to attract new blood to the game having two of the starter races be a trap (human,sillion) is NOT a good decision, and the fact that legions will actively tell new players that such races ARE terrible and they made a poor choice out of the gate makes the game less new player friendly. At very minimum having all the starter races be equity companionably good through say the first 500-1000 ranks would make the gamer easier to get in to, Help us retain and attract new blood. No one in today's game world wants to rank up or be a huge ship. not when every single legion is telling you as a trainee "don't add decks, Rank up slowly so artifact values can sink in, Don't take non artifact worlds unless they are peeked out" Anyone who plays GL for more then a week learns these races are terrible and should not be them.

Thu May 05, 2016 4:47 am

draxsiss wrote:
I can agree maybe when they first came out some of the races were indeed good, However today I strongly disagree with it, and my augments would make all the races good TODAY and onwards. Their are metals that require you disable certain races, unless someone "takes a hit for the team" no one is going to get the medals because alot of the races straight up suck This isn't due to lack of attempts to find them merely that they are so terrible no one wishes to be one. If we are trying to attract new blood to the game having two of the starter races be a trap (human,sillion) is NOT a good decision, and the fact that legions will actively tell new players that such races ARE terrible and they made a poor choice out of the gate makes the game less new player friendly. At very minimum having all the starter races be equity companionably good through say the first 500-1000 ranks would make the gamer easier to get in to, Help us retain and attract new blood. No one in today's game world wants to rank up or be a huge ship. not when every single legion is telling you as a trainee "don't add decks, Rank up slowly so artifact values can sink in, Don't take non artifact worlds unless they are peeked out" Anyone who plays GL for more then a week learns these races are terrible and should not be them.

Any legion telling trainees to "Rank up slowly so artifact values can sink in" is not one trainees should be listening to.
People have been spouting that garbage since I began playing. I happily ignored it, for which I am eternally grateful.
It was nonsensical advice then and even more nonsensical now 3 or 4 years later.
Sitting for months and/or years collecting low AP instead of ranking naturally and with purpose and building AP that is literally orders of magnitude higher is just silly from a mathematical point of view.

On your main point, "evening up" the races makes no real sense to me tbh, unlockable races that in cases take heaps of XP and energy to unlock should always be better.
Given free changes each year and almost immediately available with Glaviz devices to trainees I don't really see too much problem as it is.
My initial choice of Inergon Explorer didn't help me at all, but given the Zolazin mission chain also didn't have any major impact on my GL career.

Thu May 05, 2016 5:18 am

I meant in bear minimum evening up the starting races in relation to each other. Tell me what would it take to make YOU play as a Sillixx or a human? I can see people making arguments for the other 3 (energy is good, it helps my base, attack is always king) but for human or Sillixx I don't see people lining up or even remotely actively defending (and walking the walk not just talking the talk) for either human or Sillixx. ) if you look at the leadership board While all the other races have at least some parley representation however ALL the record boards, their is a total of 1 Human and 0 Sillixx. (the human is for reserch ranked at 41 not even the catagory where the human SHOULD excel rank). Its pretty telling when a race has 0 representation in any quantifiable measurement of achievement for the game.

here are all the stats

Aerlen,44
Konqul,55
Sillixx, 0!
Human, 1!
Inergon, 6
Vygoid, 1!
Drannik, 4
Genetarr, 10
Kronyn, 4
Lazuli, 10
Mylarai, 4
Taltherian, 93
Xecti, 4
Zolazin, 31
Litheor, 67
Uldrinan 16

Thu May 05, 2016 7:01 am

draxsiss wrote:
I meant in bear minimum evening up the starting races in relation to each other. Tell me what would it take to make YOU play as a Sillixx or a human? I can see people making arguments for the other 3 (energy is good, it helps my base, attack is always king) but for human or Sillixx I don't see people lining up or even remotely actively defending (and walking the walk not just talking the talk) for either human or Sillixx. ) if you look at the leadership board While all the other races have at least some parley representation however ALL the record boards, their is a total of 1 Human and 0 Sillixx. (the human is for reserch ranked at 41 not even the catagory where the human SHOULD excel rank). Its pretty telling when a race has 0 representation in any quantifiable measurement of achievement for the game.

here are all the stats

Aerlen,44
Konqul,55
Sillixx, 0!
Human, 1!
Inergon, 6
Vygoid, 1!
Drannik, 4
Genetarr, 10
Kronyn, 4
Lazuli, 10
Mylarai, 4
Taltherian, 93
Xecti, 4
Zolazin, 31
Litheor, 67
Uldrinan 16

Have played as both human and sillixx at various times, for various reasons. Played more as both those than as Mylarai, but that is because I NPC a fair bit and have never been short of purifiers.
I don't think looking at the leaderboard and wondering why certain starting races aren't represented is entirely reasonable though.
As I said before, they are starting races. Unsurprising, at least to me, that they don't feature on the leaderboards.
I don't deny some are "better" than others, in certain circumstances, I just don't see it as a big problem.
Just because I only spent enough time as Mylarai to get my medal, doesn't mean someone like Senator might not choose to uplift all his mining stats. All comes down to choice, for me at least.

Thu May 05, 2016 8:04 am

I may be thinking outside the box here but has it occurred to anyone that perhaps the reason why the Races are not on the same playing fields is due to the fact that you're meant to evolve through those Races.

So it's not the case that Sillix is under-represented or that Human is as well, it's just that maybe looking at the top 50 legions or the top 50 leaderboards is not the best way to judge representation of a Race amongst a galaxy where the majority of players are under rank 500.

P.S. Litheor Explorer is the end game Race/Prof so if you're a high rank and not that you dumb. :P

Thu May 05, 2016 9:31 am

What evidence do you have that the majority of players are rank 500 or less? I am interested in knowing where the data came from. Also your right Litheor Explorer is likely the best end game race.

Thu May 05, 2016 5:17 pm

kirkeastment wrote:
P.S. Litheor Explorer is the end game Race/Prof so if you're a high rank and not that you dumb. :P

nah .. but it is one of 3 to swap between. Litheor Explorer .. Mylarai Explorer .. Uldrinan Governor.

once you have 2 litheor probes on every planet .. you're only getting the scan bonus. same with uldrinan power nodes. you will never run out of planets that could not use more mining.

my plan for the rest of this year: mylarai for another month to lift 1 more C 20x arti planet up to 15x mining (1 being left for next year to spend gifts / tributes on). then i will switch into aerlen hacker to upgrade all my alarri comm towers, and hopefully get the carjean data node and get a few aerlen patronages, then switching to litheor explorer for the chuhn seasonal, upgrading all my alarri comm towers to mark III.

after that i am aiming for uldrinan for the november and december events (archotage and hijackers) .. then aerlen hacker for january and february, mylarai for march to july (lepus and elios) .. then litheor for august thru october, with aerlen dropping out of the rotation (in favour of mylarai or some other medal race) once i have enough aerlen goodies. so looking at 4 race changes per year going forward.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu May 05, 2016 6:26 pm
Profile WWW

but as long as you are ranking once a day (or more) you can keep getting more planets to put probes on.....

Thu May 05, 2016 6:43 pm

draxsiss wrote:
but as long as you are ranking once a day (or more) you can keep getting more planets to put probes on.....

if you are putting the probes on a VL VR planet .. you are wasting your time. and if you are colonizing / invading a planet every 4 days ... you will run into upkeep issues. the strategy should be to maximize your benefit given the 40 hour timer ... if there is something that will give you a bigger benefit than the probes for the 40 hours ... then you should be doing that instead.

my history of changes (omitting those that lasted less than a rank)
0001 to 0086: vygoid builder
0087 to 0385: vygoid excavator
0386 to 0424: kronyn hacker
0425 to 0459: kronyn explorer
0460 to 0679: kronyn excavator
0680 to 0830: mylarai explorer
0831 to 1052: litheor excavator
1053 to 1116: litheor explorer
1117 to 1148: lazuli fixer
1149 to 1257: mylarai explorer
1258 to 1261: human spy
1262 to 1450: mylarai explorer (current0

tally:
mylarai 449 ranks
vygoid 385 ranks
kronyn 304 ranks
litheor 286 ranks
lazuli 32 ranks
human 4 ranks

of those, the only one i would skip in hindsight would be the kronyn hacker. everything else served its purpose at the time.

at rank 1149, i was capping mining at 8.82 hours, arti at 8.26, and research at 6.31.
at rank 1450, i am capping mining at 8.02 hours, arti at 7.92, and research at 5.56.

Rank 3950 Litheor Governor 100% DCR r385-r2200 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 70212 raids: #1; 40852 kills: #1; 96377 hacks: #3;

Thu May 05, 2016 8:19 pm
Profile WWW

im guessing the ops' desire/goal is to make each race have something desirable enough to make them long term viable choices..not simply links in a growth chain or one off changes to get medals and a few special items....

While educated people could argue any race or profession, theoretically, its fairly obvious even from the beginning races and professions which ones have innately a lot more value. I'd love to see modifications made along those lines.

Conversely i'd love some way to morph races or professions and split their bonuses. Pretty sure this has been suggested a fair chunk previously, but hybrid combos with lessened effects of each contributing source would be even more flavorful and cater to people who like a little of several things.

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!

Thu May 05, 2016 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]