View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Years of play medal catch up 
Author Message

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Florida, USA
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Peticks wrote:
Because you did absolutely nothing to recieve them except find the link to galaxy legion earlier than they did? Oooh well done, you managed to get lucky and find the game link back when it was starting out, you should recieve exclusive powerful rewards that nobody can ever catch up to you on because you'll always be X years rewards ahead. You achieved nothing, tying your entire gl experience to the fact that by pure chance you joined early and got the clock ticking is absurd, given you did absolutely nothing to achieve it.


I achieved the reward just because I found the link earlier than others? Uh, no. You do realize most of the newer rewards also require you to be a certain rank and/or have a certain amount of medal points, don't you? That alone shows that the rewards are earned via time, effort, and loyalty. I got one of my friends to play the game about 6 years ago. He quit after a year. If he came back today he will not be able to use any of those rewards because he did not do any of the three things I mentioned above. What are you going to argue next? All NPCs should be visible at rank 1? All races should be playable at rank 1? No missions should have daily timers?

Peticks wrote:
This fact either shows that you have very little attachment to gl if your entire reason for playing is the rewards you get once a year for hey, well done for being around, which is incredibly sad... Or that these rewards are quite blatantly becoming too powerful that its large enough not to be utterly sad. Either way, it makes the case for a catch up mechanism.


If you're going to make an argument, at least argue a point I made and not one you made up. I never ever said my entire reason for playing GL is for the rewards.

Peticks wrote:
But since your speculating, I'll speculate that if you DO quit buying gp, the gp spent by players looking to buy ctp to advance this mission will more than outweigh you.


Let's break the game even more than it already is in a number of ways by making it possible to buy CTP with GP. That's the definition of pay to win and would leave many players in the dust, noobs and vets alike.

_________________
Member of Imminent Cataclysm


Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:46 pm
Posts: 115
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
You do realize that you are talking about screwing up the financial and power structure of the game?

It is DESIGNED so that if you are higher level and have played longer you WILL be more powerful than players who have less playing time. Same structure as EVERY SINGLE MULTIPLAYER GAME EVERY MADE.

You don't seem to be willing to listen to logical arguments and will continue on this quixotic campaign of yours that you know and I know is NEVER gonna happen. So let me put in terms you will understand.

Quit yer #$&*@' and know your role.

_________________
Exterminus
Leader
Imminent Cataclysm
Proud Member, OBEvanKanobe Royal Big Rusty Behind with Huge Ego Society


Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:49 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:02 pm
Posts: 694
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Since all you need to do is create a character and just level up a bit for the Yearly medals someone can just play a year and come back 6 later and get an overpowered reward worth MORE medal points than anything else in the game that requires ACTUAL effort I believe there should be a way to catch up with some type of limit.

If you are not rank 1800 after 7 years you are NOT an active player and chances are you are NOT buying GP either so I see no reason that players up to a year or so earlier could not bring down the waiting time.

Same with loyalty; in most online RPG games I played you can join a guild/clan/gang whatever and buy an item that makes you automatically Loyal. In most of these loyalty requires 1 to 3 days.

Oh and again, those Yearly rewards are OVERPOWERED and worth MUCH too many medal points for almost NO action whatsoever.


Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Causing chaos somewhere
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Exterminus wrote:
You do realize that you are talking about screwing up the financial and power structure of the game?

It is DESIGNED so that if you are higher level and have played longer you WILL be more powerful than players who have less playing time. Same structure as EVERY SINGLE MULTIPLAYER GAME EVERY MADE.

You don't seem to be willing to listen to logical arguments and will continue on this quixotic campaign of yours that you know and I know is NEVER gonna happen. So let me put in terms you will understand.

Quit yer #$&*@' and know your role.

You SHOULD be more powerful. After all, you've had years more to build up your ap, collect it and grow your ship. If without porowyn your ships being challenged by someone bellow your time spent, its because they have put a lot more work or real life money into the game. I've explained this many times over but lets make it as clear as possible

If you started playing 2 years after the game started, you missed out on the first two years when you could have been growing your ship ect. You only have had the 5 years since then to build your ap base and ship stats. But if you started playing 7 years ago, you've had the very same 5 years the player who joined 2 years in has had, with greater ap starting out because you had those 2 extra years, and with better ship stats starting out, again with those 2 extra years. This is in effect starting at the 2 year in mark with a head start and the wind in your sails. If the person starting out 2 years after you is able to catch up and overtake you, fact is, thats because they earned it. They either worked much more on active in game growth (Npcing, missions, pvp ect) or spent more than the 2 years worth of extra growth you had on them, in which case, they are whose keeping the servers humming and while credit card warriors are annoying to some extent they are vital for the games health.

That they simply caught up your growth despite your headstart means they are an exceptionaly dedicated player, or your simply a lousy one.

What your essentialy arguing is that because players who work harder than you do or spend large amounts of money that keeps any of this relevant by keeping the game running can catch up to you, you need exclusive accelerators to your growth because, hey, you were here first and having 2 years of a headstart isn't enough to have made you stronger.

Also I dont believe that simply being here longer means the game should work to ensure you WILL be stronger than those who came before. It should be neutral. players who put the effort in to catch up should be able to, with adequate work, catch up in every way shape and form with your ship and overtake it on unlimited growth areas such as hull attack and energy, not punish people for joining later.

(btw 'quit yer #$&*@' and know your role') Way to disparage anyone who found the game later as basically peasants. You want to know what gl would be without, ooh, say people who joined over a year after the start. Dead servers waiting to be repurposed.

_________________
Image
Image
Meow chika meow meow!!
Stark Tech Inside


Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Causing chaos somewhere
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
Because you did absolutely nothing to recieve them except find the link to galaxy legion earlier than they did? Oooh well done, you managed to get lucky and find the game link back when it was starting out, you should recieve exclusive powerful rewards that nobody can ever catch up to you on because you'll always be X years rewards ahead. You achieved nothing, tying your entire gl experience to the fact that by pure chance you joined early and got the clock ticking is absurd, given you did absolutely nothing to achieve it.


I achieved the reward just because I found the link earlier than others? Uh, no. You do realize most of the newer rewards also require you to be a certain rank and/or have a certain amount of medal points, don't you? That alone shows that the rewards are earned via time, effort, and loyalty. I got one of my friends to play the game about 6 years ago. He quit after a year. If he came back today he will not be able to use any of those rewards because he did not do any of the three things I mentioned above. What are you going to argue next? All NPCs should be visible at rank 1? All races should be playable at rank 1? No missions should have daily timers?



And I am not arguing the medal point or rank restrictions should be removed to enjoy these rewards. You can work towards adding up the medal points, you can work towards ranking to a target. These are both things the player has active control over, they have agency. What the player has zero agency over is the time factor. Your friend would not be able to access the medals no, but if he then put in the work to unlock the medals and rank up he would get his medal, for being here for 6 years, meanwhile a player whose played daily for 4 years, who is well above the medal and rank restrictions, tough luck bub you didn't start the clock ticking early. This is the factor players have zero agency over. You did not control when you stumbled upon the link that took you to gl where you started the clock ticking, it was down to chance. And something purely down to chance which the player has zero control over is god aweful game design. Imagine if dan released a npc which you could kill once for your entire account, not just your ship, and it either dropped a 15% scan boosting ship module or a 5% scan boosting ship module. This would be absolutely piloried because the player has no control over if they get the superior or inferior drop, those who got lucky end up perminantly boosted and theres literaly nothing the unlucky players can do about it.

Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
This fact either shows that you have very little attachment to gl if your entire reason for playing is the rewards you get once a year for hey, well done for being around, which is incredibly sad... Or that these rewards are quite blatantly becoming too powerful that its large enough not to be utterly sad. Either way, it makes the case for a catch up mechanism.


If you're going to make an argument, at least argue a point I made and not one you made up. I never ever said my entire reason for playing GL is for the rewards.


Your right. At no point did you explicitively state that 'I only play gl for the yearly rewards.' What you did say was that if the yearly rewards were made accessable to players who joined later than you, even at a cost to them, and with all gameplay restrictions you faced, with the only thing that changed being they can speed up for a good deal of in game resources the timer untill they hit the '7 year mark' you would quit. As in, taking away the exclusivity of the 7 year award would mean you would no longer play the game... As in, implying that the only reason your attached to gl to keep going is that you have this advantage over the majority of the player base that they cant do anything about, or that the rewards are so incredibly powerful that this legit level of rage and anger at losing the exclusive benefit is justifed, in which case... they are clearly too powerful.

Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
But since your speculating, I'll speculate that if you DO quit buying gp, the gp spent by players looking to buy ctp to advance this mission will more than outweigh you.


Let's break the game even more than it already is in a number of ways by making it possible to buy CTP with GP. That's the definition of pay to win and would leave many players in the dust, noobs and vets alike.

You are aware that people buy ctp with gp all the time. People buy batches of gp, most often in the best value 550:50$ batch, then they buy quasis and rts or storage towers and sell them for ctp to other players. If the players who do this suddenly find they need tens of thousands more ctp, well, they're going to buy some more gp to raise it. You could fill your entire planet roster with 22x mcs buy buying lots of gp and selling these artifacts off and do nothing else of productive value. Gl is already a pay to win game to a great deal of extents, its simply a pay to win game that is fairly well ballanced between getting money off players and not simply having players buy the best ship in the game against others years of building up.

_________________
Image
Image
Meow chika meow meow!!
Stark Tech Inside


Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Causing chaos somewhere
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
CapitainePaul wrote:
Since all you need to do is create a character and just level up a bit for the Yearly medals someone can just play a year and come back 6 later and get an overpowered reward worth MORE medal points than anything else in the game that requires ACTUAL effort I believe there should be a way to catch up with some type of limit.

If you are not rank 1800 after 7 years you are NOT an active player and chances are you are NOT buying GP either so I see no reason that players up to a year or so earlier could not bring down the waiting time.

Same with loyalty; in most online RPG games I played you can join a guild/clan/gang whatever and buy an item that makes you automatically Loyal. In most of these loyalty requires 1 to 3 days.

Oh and again, those Yearly rewards are OVERPOWERED and worth MUCH too many medal points for almost NO action whatsoever.

Im not sure I agree with a cap on how far back someone can speed up from. This allready scales with how far much you speed up, meaning that while from any duration of play you could eventual catch up on the X year rewards Inherently this idea means those closer will still be able to access the 7 year rewards earlier as it would take decidedly longer for the newest players as even if you raix this daily mission, your still only capable of getting a persistent 3 days (200 ctp for 2 days speed up, 1 day for 1 day passing) per day. So from 7 years away from the medal (just starting out) it would still take over 2 years (and over 150k ctp) to reach the 7 year medal. (by which point people would be on their 9 year medal.

I agree with everything else you said though. The rewards are overpowered and the time restrictions are mandatory and based purely on when you started rather than actual playing with no ability to catch up. Its not a fair system as its based on something the player had no control over.

And, while most online rpgs sell items that make you loyal saving a few days, they dont gate off content until you've been playing for years. They may gate it off behind stat or level requirements, but you are in control of that and could grind hard repeatedly and unlock it without waiting real life time. Essentialy saying 'hey, while you've actualy achieved all the actual in game requirements you need to toodle off for 4 1/2 years and then you get the reward. Its an absurd state of affairs.

_________________
Image
Image
Meow chika meow meow!!
Stark Tech Inside


Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:05 am
Profile

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:02 pm
Posts: 694
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Peticks wrote:
CapitainePaul wrote:
Since all you need to do is create a character and just level up a bit for the Yearly medals someone can just play a year and come back 6 later and get an overpowered reward worth MORE medal points than anything else in the game that requires ACTUAL effort I believe there should be a way to catch up with some type of limit.

If you are not rank 1800 after 7 years you are NOT an active player and chances are you are NOT buying GP either so I see no reason that players up to a year or so earlier could not bring down the waiting time.

Same with loyalty; in most online RPG games I played you can join a guild/clan/gang whatever and buy an item that makes you automatically Loyal. In most of these loyalty requires 1 to 3 days.

Oh and again, those Yearly rewards are OVERPOWERED and worth MUCH too many medal points for almost NO action whatsoever.

Im not sure I agree with a cap on how far back someone can speed up from. This allready scales with how far much you speed up, meaning from any duration play you could eventual catch up on the X year rewards Inherently this idea means those closer will still access the 7 year rewards early, though it would take decidedly longer as even if you raix this daily mission, your still only capable of getting a persistent 3 days (200 ctp for 2 days speed up, 1 day for 1 day passing) per day. So from 7 years back it would still take over 2 years (and over 150k ctp) to reach the 7 year medal. (by which point people would be on their 9 year medal.

I agree with everything else you said though. The rewards are overpowered and the time restrictions are mandatory and based purely on when you started rather than actual playing with no ability to catch up. Its not a fair system as its based on something the player had no control over.

And, while most online rpgs sell items that make you loyal saving a few days, they dont gate off content until you've been playing for years. They may gate it off behind stat or level requirements, but you are in control of that and could grind hard repeatedly and unlock it without waiting real life time. Essentialy saying 'hey, while you've actualy achieved all the actual in game requirements you need to toodle off for 4 1/2 years and then you get the reward. Its an absurd state of affairs.


The one year limit was a starting point. It all depends on how it is added in-game. Stricly GP buyout should have a cap, I believe since there are so many multis loading up on eaqsy CTP with Melters, Gaia Seeds and mission chain only artifacts. A multi SHOULD be an immediate permanent ban but since we all know a LOT of players with known multis the limit is mostly as a deterrent to that batch of cheaters. I am sure there are better options to be considered as far as adding an instant "growing up item" or whatever. The limit is ONLY because of all the cheaters that already cheat on everythng else that we do not want to make stronger because of "other" reasons.


Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:13 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 am
Posts: 2967
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
lol .. when Captain Clueless shows up to back your horse Peticks .. you should know it's a lame one.

if a 'speed-up' mechanism were available, i would likely take advantage of it. but i still think it would be an atrocious idea, unless you charge GP to access the mission.

folks who plow through 7 years worth of content in less than 7 years and then whine get zero sympathy from me. the x.year awards are for playing LONGEVITY, not for having finished all the other available content. they are no different than any other restricted content, whether by rank or medal points, all of which you can work towards. those who continued to play through periods where they had finished all the available content (and yes, whined about it) are now rewarded with the x.year award content. i don't see any reason for that to change.

_________________
Rank 1975 Mylarai Fixer 100% DCR since r385 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 51791 raids: #1; 24401 kills: #2; hacks 37371: #3;


Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:20 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:07 am
Posts: 50
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
senatorhung wrote:
lol .. when Captain Clueless shows up to back your horse Peticks .. you should know it's a lame one.

if a 'speed-up' mechanism were available, i would likely take advantage of it. but i still think it would be an atrocious idea, unless you charge GP to access the mission.

folks who plow through 7 years worth of content in less than 7 years and then whine get zero sympathy from me. the x.year awards are for playing LONGEVITY, not for having finished all the other available content. they are no different than any other restricted content, whether by rank or medal points, all of which you can work towards. those who continued to play through periods where they had finished all the available content (and yes, whined about it) are now rewarded with the x.year award content. i don't see any reason for that to change.


So you consider sitting around and waiting to be work? You must have tenure somewhere because most of the world doesn't. Amassing more rank, more medals, more decks, more ctp, more gp all take some kind of active effort which is why the yearly is different. For everything else you can choose what you're willing to do and when but not for the yearly. Having a set of medals I couldn't get to wasn't as big a deal until this year, when Dan added a substantial scan and cloak benefit. And just for the record, if that benefit doubles next yearly and I don't have a catch up mechanism, I'm done. Let the lobbying of Dan by my victims begin, lol.

_________________
Image


Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 am
Posts: 2967
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
pff .. you're worried about a few hundred extra scan ? haven't you already been brainwashed by FUNK to believe that extra planet cloaking doesn't matter ??

the benefit of scanning comes more from frequency than from raw scan power. i state that as someone who has been a true SSB since rank 385, with minimal decks limiting my access to most of the scan mods for much of that time.

unless you are scanning to grey with every scan run (which Peticks seems to do to very limited benefit), missing that extra top up of scan doesn't severely disadvantage you at all, so i don't get why there is even a fuss about this.

_________________
Rank 1975 Mylarai Fixer 100% DCR since r385 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 51791 raids: #1; 24401 kills: #2; hacks 37371: #3;


Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Causing chaos somewhere
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
senatorhung wrote:
pff .. you're worried about a few hundred extra scan ? haven't you already been brainwashed by FUNK to believe that extra planet cloaking doesn't matter ??

the benefit of scanning comes more from frequency than from raw scan power. i state that as someone who has been a true SSB since rank 385, with minimal decks limiting my access to most of the scan mods for much of that time.

unless you are scanning to grey with every scan run (which Peticks seems to do to very limited benefit), missing that extra top up of scan doesn't severely disadvantage you at all, so i don't get why there is even a fuss about this.

If it doesn't make a serious difference then you should stop opposing the ability to access it. Like I say either.
1. these year reward medals are weak, in which case tens of thousands of ctp to speed up a year towards this 'weak' reward is something you shouldn't oppose, because the value proposition means that the tech cost outweighs the scan benefit and anyone who does decide to speed up is only harming themselves, which is to the benefit of the earlier starters.
2. these year reward medals are powerful, in this case your opposition if you have it to losing your bonus power is sensible, but if they are so powerful then somethings gone wrong and excluding people based purely on 'well you pressed start later' is not a good reason to justify such a bonus.

Either way, introducing the speed up mechanism is the right thing to do. to give players agency, that they can play more, work towards the goal rather than be expected to sit twiddling their thumbs on access to it because they worked to the point of unlocking all of the conditions to get the X year medal but cant because the non workable towards factors aren't high enough, they just didn't find the game long enough ago.

_________________
Image
Image
Meow chika meow meow!!
Stark Tech Inside


Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Causing chaos somewhere
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Bloodied Unbowed wrote:
senatorhung wrote:
lol .. when Captain Clueless shows up to back your horse Peticks .. you should know it's a lame one.

if a 'speed-up' mechanism were available, i would likely take advantage of it. but i still think it would be an atrocious idea, unless you charge GP to access the mission.

folks who plow through 7 years worth of content in less than 7 years and then whine get zero sympathy from me. the x.year awards are for playing LONGEVITY, not for having finished all the other available content. they are no different than any other restricted content, whether by rank or medal points, all of which you can work towards. those who continued to play through periods where they had finished all the available content (and yes, whined about it) are now rewarded with the x.year award content. i don't see any reason for that to change.


So you consider sitting around and waiting to be work? You must have tenure somewhere because most of the world doesn't. Amassing more rank, more medals, more decks, more ctp, more gp all take some kind of active effort which is why the yearly is different. For everything else you can choose what you're willing to do and when but not for the yearly. Having a set of medals I couldn't get to wasn't as big a deal until this year, when Dan added a substantial scan and cloak benefit. And just for the record, if that benefit doubles next yearly and I don't have a catch up mechanism, I'm done. Let the lobbying of Dan by my victims begin, lol.

absolutely agree with you. things players cant actively work towards are things that should not be conditions in this game. If you have the rank for the X year medal, you have done the work, the play, required to reach the stage that you should be able to unlock it. But gl says that all you should be able to do to access it is sit around for months, years, twiddling your fingers till you hit that 'Hey, you started X years ago!' time requirement.

And yeah, the scan and cloak are the breaking factor as they are an accelerating boost rather than simply a static boost. Based on them alone this reward is problematic, But lets also not forget this isn't even a fully revealed reward. Nobody has the 3rd volume prismatic codex out, there are more things to be discovered.

_________________
Image
Image
Meow chika meow meow!!
Stark Tech Inside


Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:59 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Causing chaos somewhere
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
CapitainePaul wrote:
Peticks wrote:
CapitainePaul wrote:
Since all you need to do is create a character and just level up a bit for the Yearly medals someone can just play a year and come back 6 later and get an overpowered reward worth MORE medal points than anything else in the game that requires ACTUAL effort I believe there should be a way to catch up with some type of limit.

If you are not rank 1800 after 7 years you are NOT an active player and chances are you are NOT buying GP either so I see no reason that players up to a year or so earlier could not bring down the waiting time.

Same with loyalty; in most online RPG games I played you can join a guild/clan/gang whatever and buy an item that makes you automatically Loyal. In most of these loyalty requires 1 to 3 days.

Oh and again, those Yearly rewards are OVERPOWERED and worth MUCH too many medal points for almost NO action whatsoever.

Im not sure I agree with a cap on how far back someone can speed up from. This allready scales with how far much you speed up, meaning from any duration play you could eventual catch up on the X year rewards Inherently this idea means those closer will still access the 7 year rewards early, though it would take decidedly longer as even if you raix this daily mission, your still only capable of getting a persistent 3 days (200 ctp for 2 days speed up, 1 day for 1 day passing) per day. So from 7 years back it would still take over 2 years (and over 150k ctp) to reach the 7 year medal. (by which point people would be on their 9 year medal.

I agree with everything else you said though. The rewards are overpowered and the time restrictions are mandatory and based purely on when you started rather than actual playing with no ability to catch up. Its not a fair system as its based on something the player had no control over.

And, while most online rpgs sell items that make you loyal saving a few days, they dont gate off content until you've been playing for years. They may gate it off behind stat or level requirements, but you are in control of that and could grind hard repeatedly and unlock it without waiting real life time. Essentialy saying 'hey, while you've actualy achieved all the actual in game requirements you need to toodle off for 4 1/2 years and then you get the reward. Its an absurd state of affairs.


The one year limit was a starting point. It all depends on how it is added in-game. Stricly GP buyout should have a cap, I believe since there are so many multis loading up on eaqsy CTP with Melters, Gaia Seeds and mission chain only artifacts. A multi SHOULD be an immediate permanent ban but since we all know a LOT of players with known multis the limit is mostly as a deterrent to that batch of cheaters. I am sure there are better options to be considered as far as adding an instant "growing up item" or whatever. The limit is ONLY because of all the cheaters that already cheat on everythng else that we do not want to make stronger because of "other" reasons.


I oppose making gp required as opposed to a easy option to raise ctp that is required. While multis are an issue in this game I think effectively demanding any sendable resource not be the currency used because of these bad apples is wrong to players who play fair. My main oppositiion to any limit to how much time you can speed up (towards the maximum X year medal when the mission greys out, thus ensuring the maximum time medals you can unlock are the number of years the game has been going) is that its not internaly consistent. Its legitimate for people to speed up towards if if they started, say, 1 year late but not buy out 3 years of waiting? Doesn't seem fair to me and the cut off point will always be demanded to be just after the individual player talking about it joined. Better that you can use this to work towards parity on timegated rewards regardless of when you started.

_________________
Image
Image
Meow chika meow meow!!
Stark Tech Inside


Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:04 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 am
Posts: 2967
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Peticks wrote:
And yeah, the scan and cloak are the breaking factor as they are an accelerating boost rather than simply a static boost. Based on them alone this reward is problematic, But lets also not forget this isn't even a fully revealed reward. Nobody has the 3rd volume prismatic codex out, there are more things to be discovered.

what the frack are you on about ?

Porowyn is 397 scan. Prismatic Drone is another 500 scan. where is this mysterious accelerating boost ?

_________________
Rank 1975 Mylarai Fixer 100% DCR since r385 GL Marauder #26
_____________Image
PvP leaderboards: 51791 raids: #1; 24401 kills: #2; hacks 37371: #3;


Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:25 am
Posts: 83
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
+1 for catch up mission idea.
However, I definitely think it shouldn't be a daily mission, maybe every 2-3 days. This still allows for catch up.
There are also problems that this could bring up. Firstly, players who already have 7 years under their belt would also have access to the mission. Nothing would be stopping them from increasing the amount of days played for them. Players with already 7 years played would be hitting the 8 yr mark even faster, which could force Dan to make more content faster and not have it tested as thoroughly.

_________________
Image


Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:17 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:04 pm
Posts: 107
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Paying with CTP.... Thats a joke with all the Cheating around


Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:04 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Florida, USA
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Peticks wrote:
Bloodied Unbowed wrote:
So you consider sitting around and waiting to be work? You must have tenure somewhere because most of the world doesn't. Amassing more rank, more medals, more decks, more ctp, more gp all take some kind of active effort which is why the yearly is different. For everything else you can choose what you're willing to do and when but not for the yearly. Having a set of medals I couldn't get to wasn't as big a deal until this year, when Dan added a substantial scan and cloak benefit. And just for the record, if that benefit doubles next yearly and I don't have a catch up mechanism, I'm done. Let the lobbying of Dan by my victims begin, lol.

absolutely agree with you. things players cant actively work towards are things that should not be conditions in this game. If you have the rank for the X year medal, you have done the work, the play, required to reach the stage that you should be able to unlock it. But gl says that all you should be able to do to access it is sit around for months, years, twiddling your fingers till you hit that 'Hey, you started X years ago!' time requirement.


Both of you are either ignorant, stupid, or some combination of the two. You CANNOT earn the yearly rewards by simply sitting around. The rewards are locked by rank. Can someone come back from years and attempt to power rank? Sure, but they would also have one of the crappiest ships in the game. I don't see how spending that much GP to buy enough energy to rank, sitting around all day clicking to do said ranking, just to earn a reward and have a terrible ship would be worth anyone's time.

Collect a daily reward after playing Galaxy Legion for over 7 years and reaching at least Rank 1800.
Collect a daily reward after playing Galaxy Legion for over 6 years and reaching at least Rank 1500.
Collect a daily reward after playing Galaxy Legion for over 5 years and reaching at least Rank 1000.
Collect a daily reward after playing Galaxy Legion for over 4 years and reaching at least Rank 600.
Collect a daily reward after playing Galaxy Legion for over 3 years and reaching at least Rank 400.
*Note: The only two rewards you can earn without a rank requirement are years 1 and 2.

_________________
Member of Imminent Cataclysm


Last edited by Kevin9809 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:51 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 5:09 pm
Posts: 369
Location: Florida, USA
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Peticks wrote:
Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
Because you did absolutely nothing to recieve them except find the link to galaxy legion earlier than they did? Oooh well done, you managed to get lucky and find the game link back when it was starting out, you should recieve exclusive powerful rewards that nobody can ever catch up to you on because you'll always be X years rewards ahead. You achieved nothing, tying your entire gl experience to the fact that by pure chance you joined early and got the clock ticking is absurd, given you did absolutely nothing to achieve it.


I achieved the reward just because I found the link earlier than others? Uh, no. You do realize most of the newer rewards also require you to be a certain rank and/or have a certain amount of medal points, don't you? That alone shows that the rewards are earned via time, effort, and loyalty. I got one of my friends to play the game about 6 years ago. He quit after a year. If he came back today he will not be able to use any of those rewards because he did not do any of the three things I mentioned above. What are you going to argue next? All NPCs should be visible at rank 1? All races should be playable at rank 1? No missions should have daily timers?


And I am not arguing the medal point or rank restrictions should be removed to enjoy these rewards. You can work towards adding up the medal points, you can work towards ranking to a target. These are both things the player has active control over, they have agency. What the player has zero agency over is the time factor. Your friend would not be able to access the medals no, but if he then put in the work to unlock the medals and rank up he would get his medal, for being here for 6 years, meanwhile a player whose played daily for 4 years, who is well above the medal and rank restrictions, tough luck bub you didn't start the clock ticking early. This is the factor players have zero agency over. You did not control when you stumbled upon the link that took you to gl where you started the clock ticking, it was down to chance. And something purely down to chance which the player has zero control over is god aweful game design. Imagine if dan released a npc which you could kill once for your entire account, not just your ship, and it either dropped a 15% scan boosting ship module or a 5% scan boosting ship module. This would be absolutely piloried because the player has no control over if they get the superior or inferior drop, those who got lucky end up perminantly boosted and theres literaly nothing the unlucky players can do about it.


My friend who hasn't played in years and who doesn't care for this game is really going to come back, power rank, and have the crappiest ship in the galaxy at rank 1500 (six-year reward). To top things off, it wouldn't even be possible for him to do this without spending massive amounts of money. Trying to argue your point with this as an example is invalid, because it is not realistic.

Peticks wrote:
Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
This fact either shows that you have very little attachment to gl if your entire reason for playing is the rewards you get once a year for hey, well done for being around, which is incredibly sad... Or that these rewards are quite blatantly becoming too powerful that its large enough not to be utterly sad. Either way, it makes the case for a catch up mechanism.


If you're going to make an argument, at least argue a point I made and not one you made up. I never ever said my entire reason for playing GL is for the rewards.


Your right. At no point did you explicitively state that 'I only play gl for the yearly rewards.' What you did say was that if the yearly rewards were made accessable to players who joined later than you, even at a cost to them, and with all gameplay restrictions you faced, with the only thing that changed being they can speed up for a good deal of in game resources the timer untill they hit the '7 year mark' you would quit. As in, taking away the exclusivity of the 7 year award would mean you would no longer play the game... As in, implying that the only reason your attached to gl to keep going is that you have this advantage over the majority of the player base that they cant do anything about, or that the rewards are so incredibly powerful that this legit level of rage and anger at losing the exclusive benefit is justifed, in which case... they are clearly too powerful.


Once again, you clearly indicate that you have no clue what you're talking about. First off, I don't even have access to the seven-year award. I discovered GL a little over a year after it was released. Do you see me complaining, because there are other people who have access to it an entire year before me? No, you don't. I know I have to wait and earn it by continuing to play and at least reach the rank that is required to earn it. Secondly, the Prismatic reward is not powerful enough to be considered game breaking and unfair like you're trying to claim. A) The Prismatic is only as powerful as you can afford. Do you realize how much CTP it costs to upgrade it? Many of us can no longer afford it, myself included. B) With or without the Prismatic, new players will NEVER catch up to veterans who have played this game for a long time. There is no way to make up all of the arti, mineral, and research points we have collected over the past 5, 6, or 7+ years. That goes into a longtime problem of the game having everything uncapped and is unfixable at this stage in GL's life cycle. So please tell me how letting them "catch up" on these rewards actually lets them catch up? Let me answer that for you. It does not.

Peticks wrote:
Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
But since your speculating, I'll speculate that if you DO quit buying gp, the gp spent by players looking to buy ctp to advance this mission will more than outweigh you.


Let's break the game even more than it already is in a number of ways by making it possible to buy CTP with GP. That's the definition of pay to win and would leave many players in the dust, noobs and vets alike.

You are aware that people buy ctp with gp all the time. People buy batches of gp, most often in the best value 550:50$ batch, then they buy quasis and rts or storage towers and sell them for ctp to other players. If the players who do this suddenly find they need tens of thousands more ctp, well, they're going to buy some more gp to raise it. You could fill your entire planet roster with 22x mcs buy buying lots of gp and selling these artifacts off and do nothing else of productive value. Gl is already a pay to win game to a great deal of extents, its simply a pay to win game that is fairly well ballanced between getting money off players and not simply having players buy the best ship in the game against others years of building up.


I'm quite aware that you can buy GP to buy items to sell for CTP. Is it to the point where it is overly game breaking in its current state? No, it is not. I'm also aware that your idea adds even more pay-to-win options which is borderline stupid IMO.

_________________
Member of Imminent Cataclysm


Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:17 pm
Posts: 2031
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
+1 kevin

_________________
Image
Image
Signature created by Necromancer

Spy status_ #1 Cloak master in galaxy
Moooooooooooooooooooo!


Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Causing chaos somewhere
Post Re: Years of play medal catch up
Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
And I am not arguing the medal point or rank restrictions should be removed to enjoy these rewards. You can work towards adding up the medal points, you can work towards ranking to a target. These are both things the player has active control over, they have agency. What the player has zero agency over is the time factor. Your friend would not be able to access the medals no, but if he then put in the work to unlock the medals and rank up he would get his medal, for being here for 6 years, meanwhile a player whose played daily for 4 years, who is well above the medal and rank restrictions, tough luck bub you didn't start the clock ticking early. This is the factor players have zero agency over. You did not control when you stumbled upon the link that took you to gl where you started the clock ticking, it was down to chance. And something purely down to chance which the player has zero control over is god aweful game design. Imagine if dan released a npc which you could kill once for your entire account, not just your ship, and it either dropped a 15% scan boosting ship module or a 5% scan boosting ship module. This would be absolutely piloried because the player has no control over if they get the superior or inferior drop, those who got lucky end up perminantly boosted and theres literaly nothing the unlucky players can do about it.


My friend who hasn't played in years and who doesn't care for this game is really going to come back, power rank, and have the crappiest ship in the galaxy at rank 1500 (six-year reward). To top things off, it wouldn't even be possible for him to do this without spending massive amounts of money. Trying to argue your point with this as an example is invalid, because it is not realistic.

Your missing the point here. the point is that he could unlock the reward if he put in the in game effort to achieve rank 1800 wheras a player who has actualy played the game and accured resources across years cant. Its a demonstration of the arbitary nature of awarding players based on chance, the chance being when they stumbled upon the link to the game.

Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:
Your right. At no point did you explicitively state that 'I only play gl for the yearly rewards.' What you did say was that if the yearly rewards were made accessable to players who joined later than you, even at a cost to them, and with all gameplay restrictions you faced, with the only thing that changed being they can speed up for a good deal of in game resources the timer untill they hit the '7 year mark' you would quit. As in, taking away the exclusivity of the 7 year award would mean you would no longer play the game... As in, implying that the only reason your attached to gl to keep going is that you have this advantage over the majority of the player base that they cant do anything about, or that the rewards are so incredibly powerful that this legit level of rage and anger at losing the exclusive benefit is justifed, in which case... they are clearly too powerful.


Once again, you clearly indicate that you have no clue what you're talking about. First off, I don't even have access to the seven-year award. I discovered GL a little over a year after it was released. Do you see me complaining, because there are other people who have access to it an entire year before me? No, you don't. I know I have to wait and earn it by continuing to play and at least reach the rank that is required to earn it. Secondly, the Prismatic reward is not powerful enough to be considered game breaking and unfair like you're trying to claim. A) The Prismatic is only as powerful as you can afford. Do you realize how much CTP it costs to upgrade it? Many of us can no longer afford it, myself included. B) With or without the Prismatic, new players will NEVER catch up to veterans who have played this game for a long time. There is no way to make up all of the arti, mineral, and research points we have collected over the past 5, 6, or 7+ years. That goes into a longtime problem of the game having everything uncapped and is unfixable at this stage in GL's life cycle. So please tell me how letting them "catch up" on these rewards actually lets them catch up? Let me answer that for you. It does not.


A. Who has issue with 'the prismatic?' I certainly wasn't particularly angry at the 5 year reward essentialy being a planet you could invest in to improve as long as it didn't go on forever or get out of hand. And it hasn't. The 5 year reward, while still bad to be timegated imo, was something acceptable. The 6 year reward adding an ability wasn't great, but was acceptable in that it was a small bonus to planet production every few days. the 7 year medal is the isssue, and lumping it under 'THE PRISMATIC' which is only as powerful as you can afford is misleading, and given how many people are agreeing here that its a problem and catch up should be instituted shows this is a common feeling, even amoung the elite centric forum which is dominated by older players who joined when it was more active.

B. what an stupid statement to make. IN essence it goes 'gl allready has a issue, people CANT catch up on all the accrued mineral res and arti points a 7 year player has gained so gl is broken why not give them further bonus's that cement this and there is literaly no way to even work towards it.' This completely blow out of the water the arguements that 'oooh, 7 year players should be stronger thats why they should get these rewards' as your now acknowledging that, well, they should be even if everyone was just handed this reward, let alone spending as many resources as It has been marked for in the suggestion to work towards it. The arguement seems to be 'gl is broken so lets see about breaking it harder.'

the REASON that letting them catch up on the timegated rewards is because then they can achieve parity with a veteran. They can catch up with a veteran through playing more and paying. They can build their APH to increase their haul per day. If they can push it ahead of someone who was a veteran (and if they can, it is completely deserved that they can catch up as they did more in less time) then they can start to close the gap in strength as their hauls per day comparatively go positive. It is possible to catch up with a 7 year player on strength if the player works their arse off, and nobodys saying it shoudn't be difficult to catch up, which you've described as being impossible with the 'Never' part I describe as being incredibly difficult but something you can give a good whack at and potential achive if you work hard enough. Look at what funk actualy achieved in half the time veterans who are getting this reward did. And most people wont catch up, but there is and should be a distinct aversion towards anything in the game that cannot be achieved or accessed with enough elbow grease. And in this case, catching up on the year medals cannot, because of the arbitary timegating restrictions there will always be X (x being the years after you joined the game) years worth of timegated medals you cannot access that players who joined right away can do, giving them a accelerator boost you can never get.
Kevin9809 wrote:
Peticks wrote:

You are aware that people buy ctp with gp all the time. People buy batches of gp, most often in the best value 550:50$ batch, then they buy quasis and rts or storage towers and sell them for ctp to other players. If the players who do this suddenly find they need tens of thousands more ctp, well, they're going to buy some more gp to raise it. You could fill your entire planet roster with 22x mcs buy buying lots of gp and selling these artifacts off and do nothing else of productive value. Gl is already a pay to win game to a great deal of extents, its simply a pay to win game that is fairly well ballanced between getting money off players and not simply having players buy the best ship in the game against others years of building up.


I'm quite aware that you can buy GP to buy items to sell for CTP. Is it to the point where it is overly game breaking in its current state? No, it is not. I'm also aware that your idea adds even more pay-to-win options which is borderline stupid IMO.


You didn't seem to. With the comment
Quote:
Let's break the game even more than it already is in a number of ways by making it possible to buy CTP with GP. That's the definition of pay to win and would leave many players in the dust, noobs and vets alike.


But your arguement here is absurd. In game resources can be bought with gp, hence the game is inherently completely pay to win able. All this does is say 'hey, lets use this resource to allow players to work towards this goal.' If this is making the game more pay to win then ANY mission that costs ctp is making the game more pay to win. Any mission that uses em. Anything you can buy with these resources, which leaves very little you cant pay to get. My point with the this will add more gp than it costs is that this would be exactly the same as if, say, a new chain (haha not likely) popped up that cost 100k ctp to do. People who dont have 100k ctp and who want the reward asap and who buy gp will be tempted, and some will, to buy more gp to sell to gain this resource. for the 'pay to win' element to be removed literaly anything that uses em or ctp or any sendable resource whatsoever would have to be considered no longer an acceptable thing to have as a requirement, because you could 'pay to win' it by buying some for gp artifacts.

_________________
Image
Image
Meow chika meow meow!!
Stark Tech Inside


Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: