View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Heat Sinks/Weapons Overheating 

anyone remember the game "colony wars- red sun" for the playstation?

i always liked the fact the game took into account the rate a weapons system would overheat if used to much in a certain time period, which could be modified by the type of heat sink installed on the ship and think this could add a whole nother lvl to pvp battles

no more just "clickclickclickclick persons dead look for another" now it could be "clickclickclickclickf*ck my weapons overheated gotta wait x minutes to hit again or go install some heat sinks"

opinions?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 pm

That is already included in the timers.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:12 pm

timers are only for hacks/raids ;)

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:11 pm

Interesting... :)

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:16 pm

webguydan wrote:
Interesting... :)

i think it would add a new demension to pvp battles dan :) no more just click an hunt(though you could still do so if you had good enough heat sinks to cool your weapons quickly) and it would add more tech to research, to develop better an better heat sinks

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Well other then a timer I could see a small counter, each time you attack a weapon has a chance to get damaged. Though this is in the line of I attack, attack, attack (starting to overheat) and then something breaks from the heat.

Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Redlaw wrote:
Well other then a timer I could see a small counter, each time you attack a weapon has a chance to get damaged. Though this is in the line of I attack, attack, attack (starting to overheat) and then something breaks from the heat.

An interesting concept. You can choose to take the time to cool off your guns, or take credits to run them to pieces and buy new ones.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:49 am

I still see this as unnecessary, though I wouldnt mind a cd on attacking... I think an xp gain on hacking would go better at making both choices more even personally.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:54 am

zophah wrote:
Redlaw wrote:

An interesting concept. You can choose to take the time to cool off your guns, or take credits to run them to pieces and buy new ones.

good elaborate, though the purpose would be to research tech to offset the damage/counter but overheats should add to the wear of the weapon system

Gamielel wrote:
I still see this as unnecessary, though I wouldnt mind a cd on attacking... I think an xp gain on hacking would go better at making both choices more even personally.

not a counter on attacks, because taking into effect shield regen having to wait 5 min between each attack would make pvp pointless

Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:58 am

So lets say every one starts with a heat counter of 0/30 each time you attack it ups the heat counter by one. As you near 30 the chances of a weapon overheating to the point of breaking goes up. But once you top off the counter you cannot attack until you cool off.

This adds two new types of teck into the game for a ship: Cooling Coils and Heat Sinks.

Cooling Coils would speed up the heat recovery timer (lets say 5 minutes for it to drop down a point for starting).
Heat Sinks slow down your ship from over heating (aka increasing the Heat Counter on your ship).

This means that while combat will be the same, those that just do it all day will be the ones to be slowed down. But if they improve there ship enough they can keep going on and on.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:16 pm

This also allows new artifacts:
coolent rods- reduces heat by 5
thermal countermeasures- (trap) increases attacker's heat by 5

Another thing: there would have to be heat for defending ships as well. Any suggestions on how to defend from your own heat?

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Lets say that the Heat Counter should be the same for both. But defensibly you could keep firing above your heat limit, just the chances to lose something increase greatly (well this could work even for the attacker).

But there could a trap like effect that triggers when you max out your Heat Counter that drops it down like 10-20 points. I heat venting type of trap so you can try and out last your attacker.

Edit: I also had the thought just now your thrusters and dampeners could also bust like weapons. As you are moving to not take hits they could also overheat and break.

Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Redlaw wrote:
So lets say every one starts with a heat counter of 0/30 each time you attack it ups the heat counter by one. As you near 30 the chances of a weapon overheating to the point of breaking goes up. But once you top off the counter you cannot attack until you cool off.

This adds two new types of teck into the game for a ship: Cooling Coils and Heat Sinks.

Cooling Coils would speed up the heat recovery timer (lets say 5 minutes for it to drop down a point for starting).
Heat Sinks slow down your ship from over heating (aka increasing the Heat Counter on your ship).

This means that while combat will be the same, those that just do it all day will be the ones to be slowed down. But if they improve there ship enough they can keep going on and on.

exactly!

zophah wrote:
This also allows new artifacts:
coolent rods- reduces heat by 5
thermal countermeasures- (trap) increases attacker's heat by 5

Another thing: there would have to be heat for defending ships as well. Any suggestions on how to defend from your own heat?

good thinking

Redlaw wrote:
Lets say that the Heat Counter should be the same for both. But defensibly you could keep firing above your heat limit, just the chances to lose something increase greatly (well this could work even for the attacker).

But there could a trap like effect that triggers when you max out your Heat Counter that drops it down like 10-20 points. I heat venting type of trap so you can try and out last your attacker.

Edit: I also had the thought just now your thrusters and dampeners could also bust like weapons. As you are moving to not take hits they could also overheat and break.

very cool, could be easily incorperated

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:39 pm

The thing is you have to be very careful about incorporating Heat for the defender since often there maybe no way for them to know they are under attack. If someone hits you on off hours when your asleep you can't pop a coolant rod and keep going. Then not only are you stacking up cost to repair, loss of artifacts from a raid, now your adding heat damage.

This game does a lot to punish people who aren't up to snuff compared to someone else why add more? Now if there were a way to "overcharge" defenses or make them "active" where they are more powerful, but are susceptible to Heat or add heat to your counter. That might make sense, the key is your actively choosing to take that risk rather than having it forced on you.

It would also allow turtles who don't want to fight to beef up their defense.

Personally, if your going to incorporate Heat into a weapons then they should still be able to fire even after overheating they just damage the system lowering it's condition until it breaks. Then there is a again a cost choice for you the player.

If you added a tech tree that incorporated heat cool downs and heat capacity that could make for an interesting chain.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:11 pm

I do like this idea, and I think it is realistic. Weapons could overheat, or be really cool...like if your weapons are well cooled, they could even fire twice in one attack turn, and do almost twice the damage or something like that.

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 pm

This could even lead to missions that have heat risks or require proper coolent systems (like trying to rescue a ship before it falls into a star)

This also means that you could have to deal with the cold. And it is very cold in space... :)

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:38 am

Just had a thought reading this again, what if Heat also affected your weapons or defenses? Say if you were operating at under 50% heat capacity your ship would get a bonus for doing so which could be scaled depending on how Cool your running. At less than 25% capacity it's 10% at < 15% it's 15% and at <5% its 20%. Adding modules would add a static amount of Heat per module. Smaller values at lower tech levels and more at higher ones representing the advanced but perhaps more delicate nature of these things.

Installing Heat Sinks adds capacity to the Heat bar much like energy and cores. Adding radiators and vents reduces cooling times. If higher level modules add more heat it might make high level players consider if adding more decks is really the absolute best choice or if adding more officers might not work out better.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:01 am

was also thinkin on how excess heat could also affect cloak as well, as the hotter a ship is running its guns the easier it would show on scans

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:05 am

This adds a whole nother set of modules required to be competitive, unless existing module sizes shrink to compensate us "little guys" will suffer much more than yall with much larger ships.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I would disagree with that statement, Gamielel. The big players are also more likely to have high-level tech. The higher the level of your tech is, the more space efficient it is - so this means that even dropping one level in weapons to accommodate some heat sinks could result in a BIG drop in your attack stat.

At the same time, big weapons would need more/better heat sinks. If anything, it could affect the balance slightly in the favour of smaller players.

My folding@home stats :)

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next