View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Solution (partial) to people who have quit playing. 

Please have the system 'mark' the names of any players who have been inactive for more than 17 days.

Controlled by Joe Shmoe (Rank 2) (inactive 17 days)
Controlled by Howdie Doodie (Rank 4) (inactive 79 days)

This would help us to know which planets are really occupied and which are just taking up space with a name by them.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:13 am

I believe this is something best PMed to Dan.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 am

this is a good idea.
in Starfleet Command, if a person quits playing the account is publicly marked inactive (i) after 7 days.
after 21 days the account is marked with (I).
after 28 days of inactivity the account is removed from the game.
so now you have a time limit to hack resources, clame any worlds worth having, or disable their ship for the kill point.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:05 am

If this was included, I would also like an option to temporarily suspend an account. Your planets would then be protected for a certain time limit, but they would also cease all production.

This would allow people to take holidays without fear of the massive attacks that people have complained of in Starfleet Commander. But as I said, it would be temporary, perhaps for a maximum of 10 days or something.

My folding@home stats :)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:54 am

Hence the 17 day thing -- not 7 days or 14 days.

17 days is just over half a month.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Matress_of_evil wrote:
If this was included, I would also like an option to temporarily suspend an account. Your planets would then be protected for a certain time limit, but they would also cease all production.

This would allow people to take holidays without fear of the massive attacks that people have complained of in Starfleet Commander. But as I said, it would be temporary, perhaps for a maximum of 10 days or something.

There should be two ways for this.

1. Toggle option for those who do go on vacation but are normally active players. This mode can last as long as the player wants until he / she toggles back into active status.

2. Players who don't log-in at least once a day and show no activity automatically get "inactive" status for 5 days. After 5 days, he / she becomes fair game to all.

Players who really care about GL and who want to stay active will log-in everyday, OR use the "vacation mode" voluntary (the toggle) if needed.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Considering this is Facebook, and how fickle people are with games, I would suggest this is not the greatest Idea.

I think you will end up with a lot ticked-off users if accounts are deleted, especially users who purchased virtual Items! I know I could drop GL like a hot potato for 6 months if I find something More interesting (Read: I will soon be playing a lot of StarCraft 2, and Halo Reach Beta!) and would certainly want to come back from that and resume my account.

I would understand if my ship was disabled and hacked-raided to empty (though I think special artifacts should be protected like Glaviz Device)

I would understand if a few planets got stolen and I wasn't around for it (Though, I think any planet theft should still give you 24 hours from the next time you log-in to get a chance to get them back for players who may have missed the notice/chance normal time period)

But I would be absolutely livid if my account were deleted!!! I think that should only happen if the FB account gets deleted, OR if they REMOVE the FB App for more than 28 days.

Personally, I enjoy FB games because they are persistent and I can pick them up and drop them as the timing suits me. I like that yes I may have fallen behind others while I was away but now I have a chance to make a come-back, and that others may leave the game for a while too so it will all even out.

I believe I understand what is causing the drive of this question though, Three things:

1. Players who just want easy targets to feed off in the battles list and LOOK more impressive than they actually are by disabling a ton of inactive players, to hide the fact that they them selevs are not very powerful.
2. Players who want to have a free rein to steal planets from inactive players because they don't want to chance having the player retaliating.
3. Players who are concerned that people who do not play often are possibly holding vast sums of very good or great planets and not putting them "to good use". And theefor THEY shdoul get a chance to get one of those planets.

As For 1 and 2, the way the game is now you have to take more chances, and I think that is a good thing!

I know I got SICK of farming in-actives in other web-based games I've played, they all became like that was the ONLY way to have a battle or something, and if a player was absent for a week his Legion (Or Legion Analog) would pounce on him to take his resources. he'd come back very pissed and often they gave up the game.

As for 3, while they have a point it's wrong to punish people who don' play often or take breaks! There are better ways of handling this!

I think a good Idea is if Dan woudl keep track of how long a player's been inactive, and if longer than a certain amount of time, up to 20% of your level's planet limit may REVOLT, if they do the planets spawn alerts to legion members first saying to 'absorb' them into their empires, if any planets are taken the counter resets, if not than after a couple more weeks the planets send a notice to small groups of random players who have logged in in the last week, and have a free planet slot available, regardless of whether any planets are taken this woudl reset the counter for this set of actions. These planets woudl come with improvements intact.

ALSO: as a player is out of commission for an even longer period, and once they have already lost 20% of their max planet holding in the method above, they could re-seed thee universe with additional planets of similar quality to the planets held by the player.

Finally if a player DOES remove the Galaxy Legions App for more than 28 days or has their FB account deleted, the planets should all return to availability with a new classification of "Abandoned" and woudl retain all of their improvements intact for other players to happen upon by scanning and/or by completing missions. There could be additional cost and a time-wait in colonizing those planets with the structures intact, verses demolishing them and starting new.

Skipping any wait and demolishing all structures would be immediate 10% additional cost colonization
Getting the structures would be a colonization option of "Send Engineers to reactivate systems" and woudl only get your the structures online you could already support. cost = 20% credit cost of the buildings. and woudl be a minimal wait say 2 hours before you could demolish or build any additional buildings
Another colonization option might be "Send Archeologists to uncover new data on the ancient ruins" which woudl demolish all buildings but give you Research points per building multiplied by a factor per level of building, with a % bonus if you had not researched the tech for that building. Cost woudl be minimal but the wait woudl be long like 6 hours before you could demolish or build.
Send Full Away team woudl both turn on all buildings you can operate and give you the research points for the buildings as well, but cost 30% of building cost in credits, and take 24 hours to be able to demolish or build any additional buildings.

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:28 pm

No thanks. After 17 days, they should just have 'inactive' listed by their name on the 'planet question mark' (which you can only see if you have actually 'scanned' the same planet as they have. They should also be taken off of the 'battle list' after 17 days to prevent hacking/raiding them since they are no longer around.

As for a planetary revolt, there is no need because sometimes their planets will not even be discovered so there is no need to 'lose' something that nobody else found. They could even put a buncha cloaking on their planets before they leave for a prolonged time and there is a high chance now that it will prevent people from scanning them.

My suggestion only deals with planets that are scanned or get scanned that are part of inactive player's empires.

Another formula could be this:

If level = 1-10, then return inactive after 12 days after protection is gone. (this will give a level 1 32 days to change their mind)

If level 11-x, then return inactive after 2 x their level in days (so if psicore for instance quit playing, he wouldn't be 'inactive' for around 2 years).

Inactive wouldn't affect anything except to let people know that they are fair game planets (some people like me refuse to steal planets because I think that it is lame to do it).

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing to solve concerning planets. There are a set number of planets in the galaxy, and every one has a chance of finding every one. So, if a player is gone for a year, his planets are STILL there for someone to find while scanning, same as they are the day after he starts playing.

As far as labeling someone inactive, what would be the point? If you're concerned about retaliation for taking a planet he's guarding, it's easy enough to watch and see if the player's rating improves. If you're concerned about retaliation for disabling/raiding/hacking, you should be. It's part of the game. PvP means player vs. player, so grow a pair and take a chance! :lol: Otherwise, just do missions.

Farming is for FarmVille, and this game is better than that.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:47 pm

There's a very simple solution to this.

"Vacation Mode"

Players who KNOW they will go inactive for lengthy periods of time and want to come back to GL should toggle and use the "Vacation Mode". That mode freezes everything- no resource production, immune to attacks and hacks, planets immune to invasion, etc.

Inactive players who DO NOT toggle "Vacation Mode" deserve to give up their planets and stuff, especially if they have Icy, Oceanic, Terran, Exotic, or Dyson planets.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:14 am

I just thought of a good idea for a vacation mode:
Temporal Disonance
The Grand Council has developed a device capable of sending a ship and their planets into a looped flux field, keeping them safe from all harm. However, the altered state of matter locks the ship and their planets in a single time, stopping all production and generation.

Benefit:
*All planets owned by the player are fluxed during the vacation mode and return to scanned planets when the mode is over. (for all other players that have scanned it)
**[...or if it is easier to do, all planets owned by the player are +1 truce]
*The player's ship is +1 truce for the entire duration.

Penalty:
*daily reward, energy, shield, hack, production, and all other timers stop. (including timers of active ship effects like shield amplification or quantum flared)
*The player cannot do missions.

Rules for activating:
The vacation mode must be set in advance. The player chooses from a pulldown menu the amount of time (measured in days) that the vacation mode will stay in effect. To prevent maleficent purposes, it must be set for a minimum of 4 days.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 pm

this is all un-needed!

When a man of genius speaks, a confederacy of dunces swells up to denounce him. -Jonathan Swift

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:20 am

QCubed wrote:
this is all un-needed!

/concur

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:41 am

Why need an artifact to do it? Besides, why make someone work for it? If real life issues come up unexpectedly and need "vacation mode", the player probably won't have time to farm NPC's for the Vacation Artifact, or pray to the RNG goddess to recieve the Vacation Artifact via artifact shipments.

Besides, I've seen a few inactive newbies with nice planets from my scans and legion alerts. In fact, I raided an inactive player for a Terran planet with a combo of Rich mining, 3x Mega Rich artifacts, AND 2x Mega Rich research way back when I was Rank 20 (first planet I ever invaded).

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:16 am

The Temporal Disonance was not meant as an artifact, but as available to all players all the time. The in-character 'artifact' is owned by the Grand Council and they are the ones who use it. The player is just asking the council for it's use.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:18 pm

since i have posted i have been watching 2 planets in my data base.
it has been just over 2 weeks.
planet 1 is held by a rank 48 player.
planet 2 is held by a rank 37 player.
now in all of this time period, neather player has raised in rank by so much as one level.
now would it be safe to say that after 2 weeks both of these players are inactive, or have left the game?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:06 am

Scimitar wrote:
now in all of this time period, neather player has raised in rank by so much as one level.
now would it be safe to say that after 2 weeks both of these players are inactive, or have left the game?

just cause someone hasnt ranked up doesnt not mean they arent playing.

on my last char i stayed the same rank for bout 3 weeks researching and mining.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 am

Scimitar wrote:

It's safe to say you play a lot more than them, and are overly cautions about attacking people, want to reveal your planet locations to me, and then theirs too XD

I don't know what your problem is, if you think they're not very active for any reason then take their planets, either they will come back, and attack you or you will out pace them by the time they come back or they were inactive it affects nothing and there is no reason to mark them inactive except to allow people to have an 'easy' way out.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:10 am

Agreed, I have already captured 2 planets from low level players that haven't leveled up in weeks. Although, I believe you'll find this much more common in the lower levels than you will in the higher levels, either way, if someone is that inactive odds are you're quickly going to out level them in which case you can take the planet at your leisure and there's nothing they'll be able to do about it, moreso if you flux it...you just don't have to flux it right away.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 am

Veristek wrote:
There's a very simple solution to this.

"Vacation Mode"

Players who KNOW they will go inactive for lengthy periods of time and want to come back to GL should toggle and use the "Vacation Mode". That mode freezes everything- no resource production, immune to attacks and hacks, planets immune to invasion, etc.

Inactive players who DO NOT toggle "Vacation Mode" deserve to give up their planets and stuff, especially if they have Icy, Oceanic, Terran, Exotic, or Dyson planets.

well the flaw with that is.... some will be hitting vacation mode every night before bed.... or i am going to the cabin this weekend to fish or mud my truck... hit vacation mode... and i am immune for 2-3 days

every time you try to right some injustice... you create others... theres lots of planets... if it gets to the point where we need more... Dan will either find more space, or the game will get very brutal (and interesting) in pvp for planets...

i play mafia wars, i cant remember the last time i sat down and played for a day... sometime in jan is all i know, i am lvl 850 have over 5k into that account... and it just sits there... i havent even logged in to burn stamina or energy in days if not weeks, i dont care.... its my choice i know when i return i will have been killed, robbed, repeatedly, and weaker for my absence, its my choice, i have to pay the consequences for that choice...

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9756/53557008.png

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h33 ... 1302432861

Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next